Grannis 2017 Legal Interpretation- Interpreting an Interpretation

CaptainChocks

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CaptainChocks
This post serves as a follow-up question.

In this interpretation, Mr. Grannis asked “whether instruction received from a commercial pilot or airline transport pilot in particular flight operations, such as ferry flights, aerial work operations, banner towing, aerial photograph or survey, or firefighting, would fall under the "student instruction." exception of§ 119 .1 ( e )( 1 ).”

The FAA responded defining:

"Student instruction broadly as referring to an operation in which a person receives flight training from an authorized instructor for the purpose of obtaining a certificate, privilege, rating, or authorization under part 61”.

Furthermore, the FAA defined “Flight Training” as “training, other than ground training, received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft”.

The FAA clarified that a “person who holds only a commercial pilot or ATP certificate may not conduct flight training for purpose of satisfying the "student instruction" exception in § 119 .1 ( e )(1) because he or she does not hold a flight instructor certificate”.

Then, the FAA interprets a “Training Flight” as:

“Operations in which a person receives training for the purpose of satisfying a training requirement outside of part 61”.

The FAA omitted the phrase “from an authorized instructor” when defining a training flight.

Examples of a training flight are given “such as the crewmember training requirement of § 91.313.”

Following the definition of a training flight, the FAA states:

“Flight crewmember training in special purpose operations, such as crop dusting, seeding, spraying, and banner towing, would fall under the "training flights" exception of§ 119.3( e)(3)”.

How I understand this letter of interpretation:

A person who only possess an ATP or CPL is unable to give student instruction towards a rating under Part 61 as they are not an authorized instructor. Flight training is the airborne portion of “student instruction” and to give student instruction, you must be an authorized instructor. The FAA clearly differentiates between flight training and a training flight. A training flight is training towards a requirement outside of part 61. The FAA makes no remark that a training flight (training towards a requirement outside of part 61) must be conducted by an authorized instructor. Which leads me to this conclusion:

A commercial pilot (or ATP) may conduct a training flight as a trainer in special purpose operations, such as crop dusting, seeding, spraying, and banner towing.

Do you agree with this interpretation?

What you've written seems crystal-clear to me.

It seems you don't need to be a CFI to give orientation flights on specialty skills (i.e. banner towing) Don't believe it's "flight instruction" and speaking for myself I would not put the hours in my logbook as "Dual Received".

This is a somewhat random thing to be concerned with, and I wonder what your involvement is with this.

A commercial pilot (or ATP) may conduct a training flight as a trainer in special purpose operations, such as crop dusting, seeding, spraying, and banner towing.
Any qualified pilot can train any other pilot in the operations you mentioned. It just can’t be signed off as instruction in a logbook.

Anybody can teach anything to anybody, pilot or not. It just can't be logged as instruction or used toward a rating if that person is not a CFI.

Every brand new private pilot who takes their spouse/parent/kid up and shows them how the controls work is teaching them something.

Last edited:
Anybody can teach anything to anybody, pilot or not. It just can't be logged as instruction or used toward a rating of that person is not a CFI.

Every brand new private pilot who takes their spouse/parent/kid up and shows them how the controls work is teaching them something.

Correct. I've gotten over a hundred hours of invaluable instruction in such a way both civilian and military.

My first time at the controls of a single engine other than an Ultra light or powered parachute will be next week.

My biggest challenge as a real "student pilot" is just learning all the jargon and necessary reg's and for a guy who's been out of school for three decades that's a bit of a challenge, the flying comes pretty naturally thanks to a lot of great opportunities and help over the years.

I'm not sure about the reason for the question, but try this.

Grannis was in part dealing with the distinction between "student instruction" and 'training flights" in 119.1(e)(1) and (3). 119.1(e) allows commercial pilot to receive compensation for certain things without having a Part 135 or 121 operating certificate.

"Student instruction" equates to training toward Part 61 certificates, ratings, and privileges. For that, the trainer must be an "authorized instructor." Someone the FAA has authorized to instruct certain things. At its simplest, flight instructors with only an ASE rating are limited to teaching in single engine airplanes and can't give instrument or multi-engine training.

Commercial and ATP pilot certificates do not include general stufent instruction authority. 61.167(a)(2) gives ATPs some limited instructional authority - to instruct within an airline training program. 61.133(a)(2) gives commercial pilots with the associated aircraft rating authority to give student instruction in balloons and airships.

For training that does not fall into the "student instruction" category, basically, the FAA doesn't care about instructor certification. It's not being logged as "dual" and it doesn't count toward any FAA certificate or rating. But the FAA is still interested in who can charge for providing flight services. So, 119.1(e)(3) gives commercial pilots authority to charge for it.

So, for example, a commercial pilot is ok to charge for teaching banner towing operations to another pilot without having an instructor certificate.

Back