CFI or Not? Regulation Question Far-119.1(E)

CaptainChocks

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CaptainChocks
I work for a seaside air tour company that operates within 25 SM of our origin airport. It has been requested that I show my replacement landmarks along the beach and orient them to how we operate at my company. More or less an orientation flight.

I’ll have to demonstrate company procedures, low(ish)-level operations along the coast, landmarks, and how to manipulate interior cameras for passengers. I am not a CFI. Just a Commercial pilot. Is this legal?

Aircraft is a C206. New hire is fully rated/legal to fly. No flight instruction would be given, just flying the local area and company procedures.

Unless he is logging it in his logbook as dual received, I cannot fathom any way to construe that flight as one needing a CFI certificate. The other pilot is fully rated. All you're doing is showing him stuff on the ground from the sky.

The other pilot is fully rated. All you're doing is showing him stuff on the ground from the sky.
It's not like you're teaching the new hire how to fly or anything...

You’re allowed to teach, just can’t log dual given nor can he dual received.

every time you give a passenger the controls, you’re teaching…. No worries.

I work for a seaside air tour company that operates within 25 SM of our origin airport. It has been requested that I show my replacement landmarks along the beach and orient them to how we operate at my company. More or less an orientation flight.

I’ll have to demonstrate company procedures, low(ish)-level operations along the coast, landmarks, and how to manipulate interior cameras for passengers. I am not a CFI. Just a Commercial pilot. Is this legal?

Aircraft is a C206. New hire is fully rated/legal to fly. No flight instruction would be given, just flying the local area and company procedures.

91.147. Does the company have a letter of authorization from the local FSDO and a drug testing program?

91.147. Does the company have a letter of authorization from the local FSDO and a drug testing program?
What does that have to do with the question?

If it hasn't been said enough - you're not teaching flying, you're teaching about how your business is run. The airplane is the mode of transport while you do it.

It has to do with the legality of the flight. The question specifically is this a sight seeing flight or a technology demonstration? “I work for a seaside air tour company ”

Commercial sightseeing operators conducting flights under §91.147 have to apply for and receive an LOA from the FAA. As part of the LOA application, operators must show proof of registration in an FAA-approved Antidrug and Alcohol Misuse Prevention Program.

Last edited:
Well, an orientation flight like that isn’t a revenue flight so seems inapplicable. It’s just a commercial flight (since you’re likely both being paid) under part 91.

An official tour flight is 91.147, which merely states you gotta comply with most of part 136…

You must be fully enrolled prior to conducting a revenue tour flight.

It's legal. If you're concerned, just pretend he's a passenger being given a tour.

It has to do with the legality of the flight. The question specifically is this a sight seeing flight or a technology demonstration? “I work for a seaside air tour company ”

Commercial sightseeing operators conducting flights under §91.147 have to apply for and receive an LOA from the FAA. As part of the LOA application, operators must show proof of registration in an FAA-approved Antidrug and Alcohol Misuse Prevention Program.

Still has nothing to do with the question asked. He asked whether a person needed to be a CFI to provide instruction in the operation of the company, not whether the business itself is operating legally.

you're not teaching flying
Even if he was teaching flying, it could be legal. It is absolutely ok to learn things from someone who is not a CFI. What is not OK is to log dual received or count these flights for any requirements for a certificate or rating, or to receive an endorsement. That requires a CFI (authorized instructor).

- Martin

Why not ask if he has a valid drivers license, a medical, his Covid shots, annuals on all the aircraft, up to date registration on his car, is the milk in his fridge expired, the proper tire pressures on his bicycle, if he’s removed the “do not remove” tag off his matress? All just as relevant to his question as the one you asked.

OMG, not the do not remove tag. THAT is over the line.

:D

Why not ask if he has a valid drivers license, a medical, his Covid shots, annuals on all the aircraft, up to date registration on his car, is the milk in his fridge expired, the proper tire pressures on his bicycle, if he’s removed the “do not remove” tag off his matress? All just as relevant to his question as the one you asked.

The mattress? Is this a mile high club flight.

Back