Grand Canyon Video with 7 Cameras in a DA40

Beautiful plane, beautiful scenery, great cameras (insta 360 on the tail?). Great editing as I know this takes a lot of time and effort. Great trip. On my bucket list.

can you show how you attached the 360 to the tail and where ? Thanks

I used a GoPro Max on that flight, but I returned it shortly after due to an unreliable Bluetooth connection. I have an Insta360 X3 that I'm trying out now. I use Nflightcam Exterior Ball-Head Mounts. These mounts are really cool, they are secured with a single exterior screw on the surface of the aircraft, in my case a screw that holds the composite winglet to the horizontal stabilizer. You can see the Max and a GoPro 10 on opposite sides at the very beginning of the video.Screenshot 2023-09-09 201238.jpg

haha thats awesome. Exactly what I wanted to see. I have one of those nflightcam ball head mounts. Just didnt know how you had mounted it to get the shots you did. Thanks for that!!

haha thats awesome. Exactly what I wanted to see. I have one of those nflightcam ball head mounts. Just didnt know how you had mounted it to get the shots you did. Thanks for that!!
Sure. This is a writeup I shared with a friend:

I've accumulated hardware over time. This time I was flying with five action cameras, my iPhone, and a Sony RX10-IV superzoom mirrorless camera. For the action cameras, inside the cockpit I have a Sony Actioncam FDR X3000 suction-mounted to the canopy or clip-mounted to the dash pointed at me, a GoPro 10 suction-mounted to the right side canopy pointed out the right window, and a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 adhesively mounted to the ceiling pointed at the dash. You can see each of these in angles from the other cameras in the video. On the tail, I have a Gopro 10 on one side, and a Gopro Max 360-degree camera on the other side, mounted with Nflightcam Exterior Ball-Head Mounts. These mounts are really cool, they are secured with a single exterior screw on the surface of the aircraft, in my case a screw that holds the composite winglet to the horizontal stabilizer. I occasionally use a MyPilotPro Swivel Mount to secure one to the tie-down eyelet under the wing, but did not use it this time. Each of the action cameras has an app to control remotely, but I have had problems with each of them losing BLE communication occasionally. The Gopro 10's are the most reliable, but I lost communication to the Gopro Max several times. Very frustrating when you can't reach out and reset the camera while flying. Battery life is only about an hour, so you need to be able to turn them off and on remotely from the cockpit. Even when they work remotely, they produce A LOT of video (probably 250GB this trip) that needs to be edited down. I enjoy the creative side of editing, choosing the clips and photos and stitching them together with effects, transitions, and background music. It gives me a wonderful way to share and later go back and relive these incredible adventures.

Back