GPS suspend/unsuspend

...I would say that OBS allowing manual Course Selection is its function.
Me too, it's a "Course Selector". Shoulda been "CRS" on the button and "MAN" or "AUTO" on the annunciator, imo. Suspend? That's what the wings do. Sequencing? Thats what the tower does. YMMV.

...if you activate vectors to final, and you are closer to the MAP than the FAF (as you get vectored on a downwind, you will be), you don't want it providing you guidance to the MAP yet. So it will go into SUSP mode automatically. Once you get past the FAF outbound, and therefore the FAF is the closest waypoint, it will automatically go away.

...I've seen some people notice it, and try to "fix" it by pressing the OBS button. Well, this ends up messing things up and they typically just have to re-load the procedure.
Now, my way, the "CRS" button would have been toggled to "AUTO" and this behind-the-curtain business you speak of would happen in secret. No confusion for the poor pilot trying to be a pilot instead of a geek.

But then you have to push it up to 360 times to set your course.
??? In MAN (you'd say OBS), you just set with the CDI knob or the cumbersome (dangerously distracting and time-consuming) digital input field process.

??? In MAN (you'd say OBS), you just set with the CDI knob or the cumbersome (dangerously distracting and time-consuming) digital input field process.
Why does the knob that you set your COURSE with say “CDI”? That’s not ”intuitive”.

Why does the knob that you set your COURSE with say “CDI”? That’s not ”intuitive”.
If you want to discuss non-intuitive VOR terminology, start a new thread. This thread is for non-intuitive GNS/GPS terminology. :tongue:

If you want to discuss non-intuitive VOR terminology, start a new thread. This thread is for non-intuitive GNS/GPS terminology. :tongue:
Seems like carrying VOR terminology over to GPS would be intuitive, but as they say, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Garmin picked the label OBS back in the day to ensure that it intuitively meant "makes the identically named physical knob on the CDI effective". Because of course, the knob on the CDI had said OBS for decades. So that is kind of intuitive in the original sense.

The SUSP function is kind of a secondary function of that same button, that has now become the primary function, hence the now non-intuitiveness.

The reason it doesn't all seem to make sense now is only because we're still using GPS units where the original architecture was designed back when VOR was still the primary navigation method. The GNS series design is OLD. The 430 started shipping in 1997, which means that certainly the design work started a few years before. So, almost 30 years ago! Remember the tech in those days? Pentiums were the latest big thing. Many people still used 386-based computers. Windows 3.1, and even DOS was still common. Almost nobody had cell phones. Etc.

I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Garmin picked the label OBS back in the day to ensure that it intuitively meant "makes the identically named physical knob on the CDI effective".
OBS means Omni Bearing Selector. Since the button had nothing to do with Omni, they should have labeled it BS.

OBS means Omni Bearing Selector. Since the button had nothing to do with Omni, they should have labeled it BS.
I'm not sure why you say it has nothing to do with OMNI. That button literally made the OBS knob on the CDI active. I.e., it engaged OBS mode. Hence, OBS is a reasonable name.

Prior to the GNS series, I had a GNC-300XL which had a separate annunciator panel, one of the buttons on which did the same thing, kind of a "source selector". Same functionality.

I'm not sure why you say it has nothing to do with OMNI. That button literally made the OBS knob on the CDI active. I.e., it engaged OBS mode. Hence, OBS is a reasonable name.

Prior to the GNS series, I had a GNC-300XL which had a separate annunciator panel, one of the buttons on which did the same thing, kind of a "source selector". Same functionality.
Well, Russ, I'm mostly kidding, but I can offer a serious explanation for the underlying kernal of truth behind my tongue in cheek reply: The OBS knob on a CDI indicator is labeled to describe what it sets, a bearing for the omnigator device. A bearing is a course. The OBS button on the GNS-530 on my Redbird simulator, AFAIK, manually (using the CDI knob) or automatically sets a course for the GPS signal. It toggles who chooses — the PIC or the box. If the annunciations reflected that function (MAN & AUTO) it would make more sense to me. I feel the OP's pain because I'm trying to wrap my mind around it too. I'm not fully familiar at this point, so maybe there's a reason my idea won't work. :dunno:

Unless I'm missing your point, I'm pretty sure the knob on most King and Garmin CDIs made for the last few decades says OBS on it.

View attachment 119251
You are correct…I think “course” didn’t come along until HSIs. but bottom line is “CDI” is the needle and/r the instrument, not a course selection.

Unless I'm missing your point, I'm pretty sure the knob on most King and Garmin CDIs made for the last few decades says OBS on it.

View attachment 119251
Yup. And that seems OBviouSly what they were relating to when naming the button. But then, there was this SUSpend sequencing thang that had to be dealt with when ‘missing’ and making sure that that the pilot didn’t just go direct to the missed approach ‘fix’, rather than flying the missed approach ‘procedure.’ Like having to actually fly/navigate a plane rather than just pushing buttons. And when ‘holding.’ Like actually ‘holding’ and not just doing a HILPT. So now should we find room for another button becomes a discussable point. It might have been better to have not named it either OBS or SUSP. When the decision was made to not find enough real estate on the panel to add another button, maybe they shouldn’t have flipped an OBS on this side and SUSP on the other side coin and name it something else. MUL to reflect that it’s a multi function button?? Or maybe just X. Anything to force pilots learn what it was, and how it worked.

Last edited:
But then, there was this SUSpend sequencing thang that had to be dealt with when ‘missing’ and making sure that that the pilot didn’t just go direct to the missed approach ‘fix’, rather than flying the missed approach ‘procedure.’
I’d just point out that inhibiting auto-sequencing of waypoints (the terminology used in the system I fly) at the FAF appears to be a TSO requirement, not something specific to equipment that doesn’t have the capability to provide guidance through the missed approach procedure (certain Garmin equipment, in this discussion.)

I’d just point out that inhibiting auto-sequencing of waypoints (the terminology used in the system I fly) at the FAF appears to be a TSO requirement, not something specific to equipment that doesn’t have the capability to provide guidance through the missed approach procedure (certain Garmin equipment, in this discussion.)
Absolutely correct.

From DO-229 which provides the TSO technical details:

2.2.1.1.6 Set of Standard Function Labels
Table 2-6 lists potential functions and indications, and provides the associated label or
message. Not all of these functions are required. If a function is implemented as a
discrete action, the equipment shall use the labels or messages in the Table. If several of
the following functions are accomplished as a discrete action, one of the applicable labels
in Table 2-6 shall be used

TSO C146 RTCA DO-229 Labels.png

This is correct? "I’d just point out that inhibiting auto-sequencing of waypoints (the terminology used in the system I fly) at the FAF..." My 530 seems to SUSP at the MAP.
Been a few years since I’ve flown a 530…but my LEGS page shows INHIBIT as soon as I cross the FAF.

whenever It actually goes into SUSP, it‘s not allowed to sequence past the MAP without user input.

Been a few years since I’ve flown a 530…but my LEGS page shows INHIBIT as soon as I cross the FAF.

whenever It actually goes into SUSP, it‘s not allowed to sequence past the MAP without user input.
Maybe that's for transitioning from GPS to ILS/LOC at the FAF?

Yeah. When push the OBS after missing what your actually doing is 'unsuspending'

INHIBIT isn't an approved label in the above TSO Table 2-6, so does your FMS also use SUSP at the MAP? Why do they say sequencing is inhibited so early in the approach? I could guess that it's maybe less confusing than springing it on you at a busier time and at a more critical altitude.

INHIBIT isn't an approved label in the above TSO Table 2-6, so does your FMS also use SUSP at the MAP? Why do they say sequencing is inhibited so early in the approach? I could guess that it's maybe less confusing than springing it on you at a busier time and at a more critical altitude.
It’s an older system. Who knows what’s changed. But the systems that I can say with certainty what they do suspend sequencing at the FAF.

Back