GPS/NAV/COM

edessa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
edessa
Looking to upgrade a PA28-140 panel.
Is there a Garmin GPS/NAV/COM available like the old GNS 430W? Everything I’ve been looking at has ADS-B included or doesn’t have NAV.
I know Avidyne is available but wanted to see if there are other options out there so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance.

The GTN series or the Avidyne IFD series are what you are looking for. One important factor in choice is how well it will integrate/communicate with your other avionics like transponder, electronic gyros, autopilot, etc.

The GTN series or the Avidyne IFD series are what you are looking for. One important factor in choice is how well it will integrate/communicate with your other avionics like transponder, electronic gyros, autopilot, etc.
I have a stand alone Stratus transponder thats why I don't need an integrated one.
I'm looking to maybe add an audio panel.

I have a stand alone Stratus transponder thats why I don't need an integrated one.
I'm looking to maybe add an audio panel.

the point is if you want GPS/NAV/COM in one box to replace a 430, your options are limited to 3 choices as far as I know: Avidyne IDF 440, Bendix King AeroNav 800, or Garmin 650. I’ve not seen an 800 so I’d stick to something with a track record. I’ve heard good thing about the 440, but if you’re used to Garmin logic then the 650 is a good choice. I’ve got almost 8 years on my 650 and it’s been rock solid. As mentioned above best bet is to go with the one that integrates best with the rest of your panel. If that’s a wash, then look at installed price.

Last edited:
the point is if you want GPS/NAV/COM in one box to replace a 430, your options are limited to 3 choices as far as I know: Avidyne IDF 440, Bendix King AeroNav 800, or Garmin 650.
There is no GPS currently installed. We have two NAV/COM radios but one is bad and the audio panel is on its last few flights. Instead of replacing the radio and adding a GPS I figured remove 3 units and install 2.
Here is the panel we have.

IMG_7570.jpg

There is no GPS currently installed. We have two NAV/COM radios but one is bad and the audio panel is on its last few flights. Instead of replacing the radio and adding a GPS I figured remove 3 units and install 2.
Here is the panel we have.

View attachment 113193

my bad— I misread your original post and thought you were replacing a 430. However, what I said doesn’t change.

IMHO, the easy choice is to toss the bad radio and replace with a Garmin GTNxi 650. That will give you your GPS as well as a Nav/Com radio, and you'll be shooting RNAV approaches left and right.

I've heard good things about PS Engineering audio panels, as well as the Garmin 345 audio panel.

If you're looking for a nav/com/gps box and are also looking to replace the audio panel you could potentially do the larger Garmin gtn750 and use a remote mount audio panel controlled through the 750.

If you're looking for a nav/com/gps box and are also looking to replace the audio panel you could potentially do the larger Garmin gtn750 and use a remote mount audio panel controlled through the 750.
That's the setup I have. Personally, I would prefer to have a discrete audio panel, but it is a good way to save some panel space.

That's the setup I have. Personally, I would prefer to have a discrete audio panel, but it is a good way to save some panel space.

I thought I’d hate the audio panel control being in the 750 until I tried it. While I’d probably prefer a separate panel, I found it to be a decent setup for an aircraft with limited panel space. I like the display layout on the 750 much better than the smaller one on the 650 too.

One feature not mentioned yet that the 650 and 750 have in common is remote transponder control. So that’s potentially another way to free up panel space especially if you want to upgrade to an ES transponder for ADS-B out.

Looking at the picture of your panel. That looks like an ancient transponder, not a Stratus???

the 355 is a GPS/Comm only, no Nav.

What am I missing?

LPV Approaches and Comm Radio, Priced for Your Aircraft
  • Slim, all-in-one touchscreen GPS navigator and Comm radio for Part 23 Class I/II aircraft (weighing less than 6,000 lbs) and experimental/amateur-built aircraft
  • Take advantage of WAAS GPS navigation with LPV approaches, which offer minimums as low as 200’ to greatly expand your operational capability
  • Built-in 10-watt Comm radio with 25 kHz or optional 8.33 kHz channel spacing (with GNC 355A) plus standby frequency monitoring and automatic frequency identification
  • Pairs with select Garmin flight displays, or integrates directly with your existing course deviation indicator (CDI) for cost-effective installation¹
  • Visualize your entire flight plan — including departures, arrivals, instrument approaches, holding patterns and more — on a rich, dynamic global moving map
  • Wirelessly transfer flight plans and stream weather, traffic, GPS position and backup attitude via built-in Connext® wireless technology to the Garmin Pilot™ app and more²

Another POV - Screen is smaller than a 650xi. As a 650xi user, I wouldn’t want anything smaller.

Thanks, Im considering upgrading my 140 panel as well , I currently have 2 nav/coms...replacing one of the units with the 355 what would the lose of the one VHF nav radio do for you? All new stuff to me!

Thanks, Im considering upgrading my 140 panel as well , I currently have 2 nav/coms...replacing one of the units with the 355 what would the lose of the one VHF nav radio do for you? All new stuff to me!

nothing IMO. In this day and age, I’d rather have a WAAS IFR GPS over a VHF NAV, but I’m also a proponent of maintaining both if possible. I like having nav/approach options. In my own panel I have a NAV/COM (SL 30) and a GTN 650 (GPS/NAV/COM). I don’t need a 750 as I have a 2 screen EFIS.

I currently have 2 nav/coms...replacing one of the units with the 355 what would the lose of the one VHF nav radio do for you? All new stuff to me!

Oftentimes only one of the two nav radios will have a glideslope receiver installed. If you plan to pull one of them make sure you retain one that has the receiver or else you lose the ability to perform some instrument approaches. Not having the capability to do an ILS in an aircraft intended for instrument flying would not excite me, even if the majority of the approaches I do are GPS approaches.

Looking at the picture of your panel. That looks like an ancient transponder, not a Stratus???
I haven’t installed the Stratus yet. I want to put the plane down for the upgrade once. Currently we are running a UA Tailbeacon.

Oftentimes only one of the two nav radios will have a glideslope receiver installed. If you plan to pull one of them make sure you retain one that has the receiver or else you lose the ability to perform some instrument approaches. Not having the capability to do an ILS in an aircraft intended for instrument flying would not excite me, even if the majority of the approaches I do are GPS approaches.

Important point. You want your glide slope to be able to do both nav and gps. For that alone I would do the 650 that gives you both.

Maybe you can have a switch on your glide slope for nav 1 or nav 2. But that gets clumsy fast - if even possible. You could have two glide slopes. But at that point it’s getting complicated.

Maybe start off with the budget you have available?
That might help to narrow down the options which are realistically available.

@edessa

My Avionics shop buddy said he's installed a few GNU-255A nav/com plus GNX-375 WAAS GPS/ADSB combos. This 2 piece combo is the same price as a GTN-650TXi except you also get a free ADSB transponder capability.

List prices:
GNX-375 $8700 + GNU-255A $5000 = $13,700
GTN-650Txi $13,200 + GTX-345 $5800 = $19000

Last edited:
He already has a Straus adsb transponder

He already has a Straus adsb transponder
Fair enough, but a panel mounted FIS-B/TIS-B display would be a considerable upgrade over a Stratus.

Yes

He can get that with a 650xi or a GNX 375. Lot of people love the combo you suggested.

But given he already has a stratus and a working 2nd nav com, adding the one component of the 650xi should do the trick.

Yes

He can get that with a 650xi or a GNX 375. Lot of people love the combo you suggested.

But given he already has a stratus and a working 2nd nav com, adding the one component of the 650xi should do the trick.
I don't think the Stratus can output FIS-B/TIS-B to the GTN. So no, adding a 650xi won't do the trick. This is part of the reason a GTX345 is so much more expensive than a Stratus ES/ESG.

You’re right. You’ll have to use your I pad for traffic and the GTN screen for everything else. I actually prefer the larger screen and wider situation analysis of the ram mounted I pad.

To each their own.

Definitely would find limited utility of the ADS-B in on the GTN 650 screen other than traffic warnings but even then I utilize the ipad mini for that.

New or used?

The older GNS 480 is superior to the 430.

Not everyone wants a shiny new over expensive panel. They run 5k -6k and are waas enabled. For under 1k you can display ADSB traffic and weather.

Garmin still has nothing as slim as an SL30 navcom.

For under a grand a Garmin 340 can be had, let alone a better pma7000 or even an 8000.

Feeding the beast keeps prices obscenely high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the lack of support, I would be hesitant to pay installation of a used unit that couldn’t be repaired. So much has improved with the equipment as well that you’d be giving up a lot.

Repairs to the GNS 480 (CNX 80) display (including the bezel and LCD) are no longer available.

Effective 6/30/19, all other repair services and service parts are discontinued for the GNS 480 (CNX 80).

i see you have a nav/com with ils. although the 650/750 would give you redundancy and everything in a new unit, replacing the #2 that only has loc with a 355 would still give you a new com with lpv gps capability with the ils available from the old radio at a bit of savings over a 650/750. it comes down to what you want and are willing to pay for it.

Back