GPS antenna paint

Stoic Mark

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AirCav
Paint was mistakenly stripped from a Garmin GA35 GPS antenna. Should I fly as is or is there an approved paint I should cover it with??

I've never seen a GPS antennae painted. The only one's I've seen are white plastic. Why would a GPS puck antennae be painted to begin with??

Is it possible the paint shouldn't have been there?
I ask because when checking fuel during preflighting a C172, I noticed the GPS antenna was marked "do not paint:
ga35_1.jpg

Link to GPS-35 with image:
https://www.chiefaircraft.com/avion...1xZrCGZyvw8JsmHru9Oqu4-PFdg2BsDhoC2hoQAvD_BwE

I really don’t want to get smarmy…let me restate my issue…the idiot who stripped the paint off my aircraft, did not remove the antenna. I returned to a naked antenna with no white paint (that used to say “do not paint”. The question is for someone who knows something about Garmin GPS antenna or maybe about antennas and radio magnetic receivers,…the antenna is now a dull brown metal, should I
a. Repaint it(if so with what or
b. Do not repaint and fly as is.
I realize there are a multitude of folks who want to comment on all kinds of things besides my question but if you don’t have the answer or a dirección to follow, save us all some time and please move on and read other threads. Thanks

If you can find a "non" metallic paint....that will work. Otherwise don't paint it.

No paint, go fly it.
Thanks !! Do you speak from experience or knowledge of the antenna??
I have had the same antenna and it says do not paint. That is my experience. You say yours is metal? I assumed they were composite? I am probably wrong. Got any pictures?
Does it still work?

Mine used to be white and sad DO NOT PAINT. I guess the guy that stripped the aircraft (and taped or removed everything else) figured it did not say DO NOT REMOVE PAINT. The brown you see in photo is probably the color of the underlying composite or maybe some non refocus metal. Hard to tell.D1249FD0-D04B-4126-9B37-3F842983E3C1.jpegCD5C418D-9CC1-40FD-B4CE-2C9516D120BD.jpeg

BTW, many antenna manufacturers make the antennas in a multitude of colors. Mine used to be white, like the pic someone above posted.

Should I fly as is or is there an approved paint I should cover it with??
Some antenna types can be repainted without affecting performance. Dont know about GPS. If me would contact antenna OEM support to get input.

Some antenna types can be repainted without affecting performance. Dont know about GPS. If me would contact antenna OEM support to get input.
Please note post 3- same antenna.

Mine used to be white and sad DO NOT PAINT. I guess the guy that stripped the aircraft (and taped or removed everything else) figured it did not say DO NOT REMOVE PAINT. The brown you see in photo is probably the color of the underlying composite or maybe some non refocus metal. Hard to tell.View attachment 114665View attachment 114666
It has to be composite. You can't get a GPS signal through metal.

Please note post 3- same antenna.
Well aware what the antenna should look like. Been touching up paint/covering on certain antennas for years with OEM blessing. Hence my comment. If I was the OP I'd be more concerned how they removed the original white coating. Normally with GPS antennas the field SOP was to replace when that coating eroded or missing vs repaint. Maybe AeroAntenna has more on it?

I believe I would be asking the paint shop to trade you for a slightly used but working GPS antenna. Mistakes happen.

How a novel idea?

How about calling GARMIN and asking them about what to do. If they say replace it, I would say it is on the shop to get another antenna and install it.

I don’t know how often mistakes occur to antennas and other devices attached to the fuselage during the repaint process, but my ASPEN AHRS went wacky immediately after and had to be replaced. Fortunately, it was still under the avionics warranty, but otherwise I would’ve had a discussion with the painter.

Back