Got UAS Certificate (Part 107)

Did you apply for a Part 107 Certificate?

• Yes

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I Wouldn't Want To...

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
Just got mine in the mail. I'm happy it looks different than an "actual" pilot's certificate.
Piece of cake to apply for under existing part 61.
Don't know if anyone posted already but prior to today I didn't know what it looked like.

Attachments

• UAS.jpg
    UAS.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 95
Didn't get one, but I signed someone off for one the other day. Not sure why they need an instructor's endorsement on the IACRA form. It's an online course.

No. Just don't have time for a part time job. I also think the market will be saturated soon with UAS pilots looking for work.

None of the choices on your poll is anything like, "not yet but I might". Most of the people I know who have gotten one did it just for the heck of it, not because they anticipate finding a job doing it.

Just got mine in the mail. I'm happy it looks different than an "actual" pilot's certificate.
Don't know if anyone posted already but prior to today I didn't know what it looked like.
Out of curiosity, when did you apply? I'm still waiting for mine.
None of the choices on your poll is anything like, "not yet but I might". Most of the people I know who have gotten one did it just for the heck of it, not because they anticipate finding a job doing it.
That's me. I took the class and signed up for it just because I can.

Your date of issue is the same as mine according to the FAA website but I am still waiting for my actual certificate.

Didn't get one, but I signed someone off for one the other day. Not sure why they need an instructor's endorsement on the IACRA form. It's an online course.
Someone needs to verify identity (statutory requirement for an airman certificate) and 61.56 flight review status.

Sorry I didn't think to add that option. The third was just for giggles.

I can't imagine making money with my DJI P4 Drone. Almost everyone has it and I also imagine, as already stated, too many people will saturate the market.

Anyone that's remotely interested can quietly do it themselves. Punny, Isn't it.

The instructor is just verifying the ID and certificate, and that the person presenting the data looks like the guy on the ID.

Out of curiosity, when did you apply? I'm still waiting for mine.

IACRA showed Registry - DOCS Complete 10/06/2016

Then I checked the mail today and found it. So maybe about 10 days from when IACRA updates status to complete.

I honestly almost forgot about it. It was just a happy surprise.

Yup. Seems like opertunity for those who are willing to grab it.

Besides, only a matter of time till the FAA makes this sUAS way harder to get, free and easy ain't the FAA ;)

Yup. Seems like opertunity for those who are willing to grab it.

Besides, only a matter of time till the FAA makes this sUAS way harder to get, free and easy ain't the FAA ;)
Actually, the direction from within the executive branch is to make it easier and cheaper to get and maintain a remote pilot certificate with small UAS rating.

Not worth the drive down to the FSDO for another card for me.

Actually, the direction from within the executive branch is to make it easier and cheaper to get and maintain a remote pilot certificate with small UAS rating.

This doesn't jive with FAA/gov history.

Personally I have much more faith in history than politician lip service.

I haven't received mine yet, but it appears they're being issued... Completed the Certification in AUG so I'll be watching the mailbox for mine...

Yup...got mine (just the temp so far) and picked up a drone.

Not to drift the thread, but we're considering using a drone for bird control, due to a problem with birds at our uncontrolled field. Last week a bird (either a killdeer or a dove) caught a Citation radome on take-off. Enough damage that it will be replaced (both the radome and the bird) , and fortunately the remains went under the wing, instead of thru the engine.

Considering harassing the birds during nesting with a drone to prevent hatching. and/or setting up a group of waypoints along the runway to chase them off. Anybody had any experience with that? Thanks!

Jim

This doesn't jive with FAA/gov history.

Personally I have much more faith in history than politician lip service.
A couple things: 1) small UAS bares little resemblance to the rest of manned light GA; 2) the small UAS lobby has suprising power and anticipate selling a bunch of aircraft. They've made it clear to their elected officials that creating unnecessary barriers to operation (i.e. Making it harder to get certified) would be bad for the industry. Folks like Amazon have pretty strong influence, and they also sell a bunch of quadcopters (not to mention their own UAS delivery R&D).

If you read the NPRM versus the final part 107 rule you'll see that it got easier to become certificated. Expect it to get easier to maintain currency as well.

Last edited:

Not to drift the thread, but we're considering using a drone for bird control, due to a problem with birds at our uncontrolled field. Last week a bird (either a killdeer or a dove) caught a Citation radome on take-off. Enough damage that it will be replaced (both the radome and the bird) , and fortunately the remains went under the wing, instead of thru the engine.

Considering harassing the birds during nesting with a drone to prevent hatching. and/or setting up a group of waypoints along the runway to chase them off. Anybody had any experience with that? Thanks!

Jim
No, but I'd like to hear more about how that works out. Perhaps a good topic for ACRP paper?

Not worth the drive down to the FSDO for another card for me.

It would sit next to my FAA CTO cert gathering dust.:(

Definitely a growing market but I think if there's any real money to be made, it'll be with established UAS companies instead of freelance RPA guys.

No, but I'd like to hear more about how that works out. Perhaps a good topic for ACRP paper?
I have the same thoughts as well......the extra piece of paper sounds nice....but, rather worthless for me IMHO. :D

Jim

Yeah. A few years ago I was staying at a place where a lot of transit workers were staying for a big project building solar and wind energy and all the towers and lines to get it all hooked into the grid. It got shut down for a few months when someone found out it was disturbing birds during mating and hatching season. Not some endangered species, just the local birds.

A couple things: 1) small UAS bares little resemblance to the rest of manned light GA; 2) the small UAS lobby has suprising power and anticipate selling a bunch of aircraft. They've made it clear to their elected officials that creating unnecessary barriers to operation (i.e. Making it harder to get certified) would be bad for the industry. Folks like Amazon have pretty strong influence, and they also sell a bunch of quadcopters (not to mention their own UAS delivery R&D).

If you read the NPRM versus the final part 107 rule you'll see that it got easier to become certificated. Expect it to get easier to maintain certification was well.

Sure no argument with what they "say" it's what they do. Frankly the airline industry has a bit of power too, didn't change the fact that the ATP became much harder to get after Colgen

Who knows what knee jerk thing is going to happen, and they start making changes, normally ones which wouldn't have made a difference in the situation in question (again see Colgen and the ATP rule change), I hope they stick to their word, but that's not exactly how the Feds roll.

Last edited:
Cool. They're being mailed out finally. I've been working on my 'lines.' Here's a poll. Can a Remote Pilot License get you laid as easily as a regular Pilot License? Yes, no, yes but not worth who would fall for it...........

Jim

Not to drift the thread, but check with the local Fish and Game. May not be kosher to harass the birds during nesting. Instead, hit them right at sundown to keep them from roosting during non-nesting time.

From a slightly paranoid mind: If you hold part 61 and part 107 certificates and do something with a "drone" that results in FAA action, can they also take action against your part 61 cert?

Nauga,
and a Trappy kinda question

From a slightly paranoid mind: If you hold part 61 and part 107 certificates and do something with a "drone" that results in FAA action, can they also take action against your part 61 cert?

Nauga,
yup.....that's the reason for the noose....all certs are in play with an enforcement action to include an A&P's cert.

Last edited:

Nauga,

Not just 107 stuff but recreational model aircraft can be found in violation of 91.13 as well. Not sure the enforcement action would go against your "full scale" part 61 cert but I'd think it would at least result in a cautionary letter from the FAA or a fine.

Not to drift the thread, but check with the local Fish and Game. May not be kosher to harass the birds during nesting. Instead, hit them right at sundown to keep them from roosting during non-nesting time.

The airport has already gotten a permit from Those Who Must Be Obeyed (which means I'm not sure just whom) to shoot them on discretion regardless of season....FWIW. Agree with the sunset idea 100%. Thanks!

Jim

Nauga,

The FAA has already promised they will do just that.

The airport has already gotten a permit from Those Who Must Be Obeyed (which means I'm not sure just whom) to shoot them on discretion regardless of season....FWIW. Agree with the sunset idea 100%. Thanks!

Jim

rednecks-with-guns.jpg

Didn't know you could get a permit to break the law... Maybe it was issued by this guy

image.png

rednecks-with-guns.jpg

Didn't know you could get a permit to break the law... Maybe it was issued by this guy

image.png

Oh sure ya do! It's illegal to carry a concealed weapon....unless you've got a permit. Same deal.... :)

....and, where'd you get the pic of us chasing birds...LOL!

Jim

The FAA has already promised they will do just that.
Really? Where did they say that?
yup.....that's the reason for the noose....all certs are in play with an enforcement action to include an A&P's cert.
Aside from egregious violations (perjury, falsifying records, criminal activity while exercising the privileges of the certificate, etc.) can you cite a situation where the FAA has pulled all of an airman's certificates? What does chapter 7 of the compliance and enforcement order say?

Back