Got the medical but FAA won't supply student cert?

That's pretty clear. I won't solo till I get a proper certificate from the FSDO.

Perhaps the Doc who did your physical can provide the combination Student Pilot Cert/Class__ physical certificate being he apparently is the one who screwed it up in the first place. He also has to sign it unless his staff stamped his signature (very likely) but the Doc still should have seen the thing at some point. I'd go by his office, explain it to his staff, and maybe the Doc will just issue you a completely new one. Take what you were given originally too and show it to them.

As for your CFI he should know that it is MANDATORY that the Student Pilot Certificate has to be endorsed for solo flight. :yesnod:

Seems to be some controversy here so let me try to provide more detail which may or may not provide more clarity:

Before my solo I called the FAA twice and explained I had reason to believe they had not given me a student certificate. They said they would mail it. When I received their letter it explained that they had enclosed an amended medical and student pilot certificate. When I looked at what they "enclosed" it was simply the same 3rd class medical and no mention of student certificate. Since the FAA mentions that the certificate was enclosed then they must think the medical is the certificate. My CFI was confident it was sufficient to solo and applied the endorsements to my log book which I carried with me along with the letter from the FAA saying they enclosed a student certificate.

There has been a few changes in the past regarding student certificate being separate or combined with the medical and I'm willing to bet the FAA has a problem with their current process.

I will let ya'll know if the FSDO can figure it out for good.

So... Have you soloed yet or not? Previously, you stated that you had not.
:dunno:

What does the endorsement on your certificate say?

I had a supervised solo but have not soloed again due to focusing on XC work and my interest in getting the student cert and endorsement in the right place. My Logbook endorsements are for presolo knowledge and 90 day make/model solo.

I actually called the AME before trying the FAA and he was flummoxed and told me that I needed to call the FAA. So I did. Then they sent me a weird letter saying they sent me the certificate.

The letter the FAA sent calls it a "Student Pilot Medical Certificate" but the actual document is a 3rd class medical and has no markings for students or endorsements. I know this sounds strange but the FAA says what they gave me is a student certificate but it's clearly not. Even though I explained this to them twice on the phone they don't seem to get it. That's why I have an appointment at the FSDO.

I believe the AME is the possible source of the problem he seemed to be pretty overwhelmed by the routine process of a 3rd class medical. Nice guy for sure but not organized or confident.

I had a supervised solo but have not soloed again due to focusing on XC work and my interest in getting the student cert and endorsement in the right place. My Logbook endorsements are for presolo knowledge and 90 day make/model solo.

I actually called the AME before trying the FAA and he was flummoxed and told me that I needed to call the FAA. So I did. Then they sent me a weird letter saying they sent me the certificate.

The letter the FAA sent calls it a "Student Pilot Medical Certificate" but the actual document is a 3rd class medical and has no markings for students or endorsements. I know this sounds strange but the FAA says what they gave me is a student certificate but it's clearly not. Even though I explained this to them twice on the phone they don't seem to get it. That's why I have an appointment at the FSDO.

I believe the AME is the possible source of the problem he seemed to be pretty overwhelmed by the routine process of a 3rd class medical. Nice guy for sure but not organized or confident.

If you did indeed solo, why did you lie here and make a fool out of some people?

FAA mailed a new medical along with a letter saying it's a student certificate? It doesn't say anywhere on the medical something like "valid for student pilot privileges only"?
That still wouldn't make it a student pilot certificate.
Are you expecting two pieces of paper: 1 medical and 1 student certificate?

I thought they were the same piece of paper (unless you needed a student cert and did not need a medical - like a glider student)?

What I'm expecting is EITHER a separate piece of paper that say STUDENT PILOT on it or his medical should say

MEDICAL CERTIFICATE THIRD CLASS AND STUDENT PILOT CERTIFICATE.

If it just says MEDICAL CERTIFICATE THIRD CLASS it is not a student pilot certificate. (Either he or his AME screwed up when it was issued).

I'm starting to have doubts about this guy/girl. Doctors aren't dummies, and those designated by the FAA for flight physicals know what's required. Additionally their staffs are up to the task too. Those offices and employees are good check and balances for the doctor too. I can't imagine a CFI not knowing the proper documents required to solo a student. Is the OP taking us for a ride? Yeah I'm starting to believe he/she is. :(

If so, pretty pathetic abusing the good advice and compassion on this site. :nono:

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Umm, you don't really think every third class medical patient is a student pilot, do you? Most of them are not. Medicals have to be renewed every two years over 40, and you'll never need that student pilot certificate again.

Someone clicked the wrong box, whether it was the OP or his AME. That's all. And "are you a student pilot" is not part of the exam, so there is no cross check to be made there.

Guys, I appreciate the valuable advice of others who have instructed that I contact the FSDO.

I also want to make it clear that my intentions are to do the right thing and I'm not taking anyone for a ride. Speaking of rides I got transferred at least 5 times when I tried to talk to the FAA about this on the phone. It was almost comical.

In regard to figuring out the root cause of the issue, I checked the correct box on medXpress and clarified to the AME both during the exam and in a call after the exam that I was a student pilot. He enjoyed talking about his flying experience and wanted to know about what I planned to do with I PPL. He said himself he doesn't do many Medicals and the rules change often. When I realized there was something amiss and called him he recommended I call the FAA and the FAA apologized and said they would mail me the student certificate. When they did it wasn't the right thing.

Please don't misconstrue my post and hope ya'll have a merry xmas and thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Speaking of rides I got transferred at least 5 times when I tried to talk to the FAA about this on the phone. It was almost comical.

That is so predictable it isn't funny. Even when they try to streamline the process, like providing a "Gateway" for improving instrument procedures, it only hastens the time to your dissatisfaction. Durant, OK comes to mind when we were discussing feeder routes in another thread. A year later, it's still not right AFAIK.

dtuuri

Guys, I appreciate the valuable advice of others who have instructed that I contact the FSDO.

I also want to make it clear that my intentions are to do the right thing and I'm not taking anyone for a ride. Speaking of rides I got transferred at least 5 times when I tried to talk to the FAA about this on the phone. It was almost comical.

In regard to figuring out the root cause of the issue, I checked the correct box on medXpress and clarified to the AME both during the exam and in a call after the exam that I was a student pilot. He enjoyed talking about his flying experience and wanted to know about what I planned to do with I PPL. He said himself he doesn't do many Medicals and the rules change often. When I realized there was something amiss and called him he recommended I call the FAA and the FAA apologized and said they would mail me the student certificate. When they did it wasn't the right thing.

Please don't misconstrue my post and hope ya'll have a merry xmas and thanks again for your help!
We all know it's paperwork that keeps the airplane in the air. :D

Both your AME and your CFI should have realized something was wrong, but what counts is that you have recognized the error and are trying to correct it. I agree that things are different since the FAA went to the medicals printed out on a computer printer rather than the old style forms.

Let us know how it goes.

Post a pic of what you have and we'll help you sort it out. Black out the important parts for privacy.

Great news the FSDO quickly issued a student certificate. Thanks for all the input and hope you have have a safe flying new year!

My medical (and I thought every medical issued) is also a student pilot certificate.

Attachments

• medical.jpg
    medical.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 10
  • medical2.jpg
    medical2.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
My medical (and I thought every medical issued) is also a student pilot certificate.

Aghhh, jut when I thought I was in, I was out, or something like that. :rofl:

Thought the thread would end, now this. Here we go again! 3 more pages, easy! :D

It is not. A normal medical lacks the "And Student Pilot Certificate" on the front (which is the essential part) and lacks the endorsement areas on the rear.

Back in the old paper days, the medical and student pilot certificate was goldenrod colored while the straight medical was just white. Now that everything is computer printed directly, it's all white.

Back