Got a new Glock... Or so I thought...

I've sold a lot of xds' and with their current 3 free mag promo it is a no brainer, 5 total mags by the time the rebate ships.. (A week or two)

Lol, the XDs always requires a small blood sacrifice, usually a little blister on the thumb web from the aggressive checkering.

The XDm otoh is a very comfortable shooter, certainly in 9mm. The XDm compact with the small grip is not much larger than the XDs but offers 13 rounds (in 9mm) instead of 7.

Now if they could put the XDm trigger in the XDs.....

Haha. Had the thumb one. Had one where it was pinching my trigger finger. Slammed the magazine home during reload drills and made a nice blood blister line across my meat of my palm below the thumb.

About the only thing I can't seem to get it to do is slide bite me, and I wouldn't be surprised if I figure out how to do that doing hosted drills sober or later, making sure to get that grip safety in and the hand as high as I can on the pistol. LOL!

I've seen similar commentary on the XDm 9mm in both the compact and full sized and I really need to go borrow or rent one to see if I like it. I suspect I would and I'd be selling off the XDs to let it punish some other kind gentle soul who feels a need for a hard shooting little mule kicker for a while. Haha.

I mostly just had to see how a "pocket" .45 ACP shoots. The answer is "hard". It's amazingly good to conceal but I'm not a .45 ACP "stopping power" snob and more rounds of a nice +P or NATO pressure 9mm round in the carry pistol would be fine by me.

I've gotten fairly accurate with the silly thing but it's not a joy to shoot. It has at least been rock solid as a non-malfunction prone pistol and earned its place in the carry rotation. Never had it ever go click and not go bang, even when hideously dirty from cheap rounds and a couple of long range sessions without a cleaning in between.

I did have to send it in for the recall, and I do see how the original design could slam fire when the trigger safety didn't properly reset. I never experienced it, but SA fixed it and had the thing back to me very quickly at their cost, so I can't complain.

Oh. Forgot to mention the post I love to hate. Karen's M&P 9 Compact. That thing has no redeeming qualities whatsoever to me. She shoots it pretty well. She shoots her Sig better but she's worked out her kinks on the M&P and does fine with it. I really hate the thing. And I wanted to like it because it's a Smith. I can't believe the State Patrol guys here who say they love theirs in .40. I mean literally can't. There's no way I'd want to carry that thing to protect life. The trigger reminds me of my first Daisy BB rifle. "Sproingggg!" on every shot. I can HEAR it through the hearing protection even if I'm doubled up that day with both plugs and muffs!

(And again, I'm kinda a purist "stock" pistol kinda guy. I want to shoot it as the manufacturer made it. I hear the trigger kits for the M&P Tupperware help them a LOT, but no. If it doesn't shoot well out of the box, I'll just move on. Plenty of better options for what I like. And she likes the thing so she can have it. Hahaha. At least it was cheap.)

I've sold a lot of xds' and with their current 3 free mag promo it is a no brainer, 5 total mags by the time the rebate ships.. (A week or two)

That's a really nice deal they're doing. I had to buy all of mine. I also remove the stupid sliding thing on the 7 rounders. All that thing seems to accomplish is to bite me, too. Haha.

I actually shoot the thing better with the five rounder in it and a third of my hand falling off the bottom of the grip. Just press the palms together when two handed and try not to let it move around.

I tracked it. I was even surprised by it at first. But, I found it was repeatable and consistent. I just shoot it better with the short magazines. Weird.

I've considered covering all that silly checkering with skateboard grip tape. It'd look totally awful wrapped like that, but I suspect I'd shoot it even better. I just know it wouldn't stay put and cleaning off all the tape goop and reapplying the tape would eventually tick me off.

If I keep it, I want to put some different sights on it. I haven't broken any of those "light rods" yet in the front sight but I know it's coming eventually. Also haven't tried changing the color.

But for something designed to be used defensively at close range, some fat point and shoot sights like those triangle doohickeys or a ring type, might be interesting. It may just turn into my Frankenstein pistol where I keep changing crap just to see how well some of these fad gadgets work.

One of the trainers at the range has a single post sight front and a ghost ring on the rear of his Glock he's carried both professionally (LE and bodyguard duty) and now in "retirement" as a trainer, and I've shot it before. That is actually darn effective at keeping your eyeballs glued to the front sight. Could just remove the ring altogether for close range snapshot stuff. And he has to be careful if he wants retention holsters for it. It can get hung up on things pretty easily.

Ah well. Fun trying different stuff.

I just bought a Ruger LC9s Pro as a smaller carry gun for summer when a G19 is a bit much to lug around in Georgia heat. I'll let ya'll know how it shoots & functions.

Heavy trigger pull.. as far as Im concerned all the LCP is good for is a point blank belly gun.

The lc9s Pro has a good trigger, much better than the original the LC9.

The lcp has a heavy trigger, but that is expected on a no safety pocket gun, isn't it?

Early adopter on the Springfield XDS and now want to try the 4" 9mm version. The 3" .45 ACP is just a punishing little bastard to shoot much but is fun in its own way.

The 3" 9mm on the other hand is one smooth sweet running machine. Very little recoil and almost no muzzle flip means all the follow-on shots are just as good as the first. If I had to keep only one, the XD-9 sub would be it.

OTOH, my Kimber 3" 1911 kicks like a mule and is abusive to fire, especially off hand. My follow-on shots aren't as good, and there is some debate that .45ACP defensive rounds don't reach sufficient muzzle velocity in 3" guns to sufficiently mushroom on impact. Thus I carry either the 3" 9mm for conceal, or a full size .45 for open.

As pretty as the Kimber is, I really ought to sell it as I just don't use it much.

Last edited:
Bill are you talking about the xd subcompact or the xds? Single or double stack?

Bill are you talking about the xd subcompact or the xds? Single or double stack?

There are three different ones.

XDs with a 3.3in barrel (single stack)
XD subcompact 3.0in barrel (double stack)
XDm compact 3.8in barrel (double stack)

I'm curious what you're thinking here about "losing their way". Someone else pointed out that they're doing a lot of rifle stuff these days, but they aren't neglecting the pistols. Their new stuff is actually rather fascinating. Karen shot a P2022 at "Sig Days" at our range and absolutely loved it and bought one. The same DA/SA trigger but the bottom half of the gun is "Tupperware" like a Glock, dropping the notoriously high Sig price down to where if you're a DA/SA fan and/or a Sig trigger fan, you're paying now just over Glock prices for something VERY close in feel to a traditional Sig pistol. (Supposedly the newer ones are even better. The 2022 is a lost in the middle design and was a huge sleeper, price-wise, for a while. At one point they were selling for Glock prices. No more. Folks figured it out.)

I don't think the Sigs are as high quality since the move to U.S. manufacturing, and I think they've come out with a plethora a variants that are a bit confusing. I have a triple serial number P228 that's a nice gun. "Made in W. Germany". I still prefer my CZ's. I do think the P2022 is a very good value.

(And again, I'm kinda a purist "stock" pistol kinda guy. I want to shoot it as the manufacturer made it. I hear the trigger kits for the M&P Tupperware help them a LOT, but no. If it doesn't shoot well out of the box, I'll just move on. Plenty of better options for what I like. And she likes the thing so she can have it. Hahaha. At least it was cheap.)

Some of us in states like Massachusetts have to get the stock gun with extra heavy trigger for our protection (consumer protection and all that nonsense). So, some of us get used to the concept of modifying the trigger to make the firearm actually useful.

I don't know what the out-of-the-box pull on my 1911 is, but it's more than the 6lbs my trigger pull gauge will measure. It's my understanding that the MA-compliant S&W M&P trigger is 10.5lb.

Oh no doubt. I've seen an $80K+ shotgun a couple times at Cabela's. Why anyone would spend that kind of money on one, I have no idea. I guess it's only money.:dunno:

why? to consistently break 100 of 100 clays.

Though, yeah, $80,000 would be an outlier. But to get a good competition shotgun the trap shooters I know will easily spend 3x what us rifle shooters need to spend on a top quality match rifle. otoh, benchrest shooters spend large sums of money on the front/rear rests, etc, not to mention the match ammo.

Heavy trigger pull.. as far as Im concerned all the LCP is good for is a point blank belly gun.

Nope, that is the older LC9, which had a conventional hammer. The LC9s is striker fired, and while the pull is a little long, in poundage it compares favorably to a Glock. I'm hopeful this will be a good piece out to reasonable self defense ranges. The reviews like it a lot.

The lc9s Pro has a good trigger, much better than the original the LC9.

The lcp has a heavy trigger, but that is expected on a no safety pocket gun, isn't it?

I got the LC9s Pro, which has no manual safety and no magazine disconnect. My safety is between my ears. But I don't pocket carry either.

No gun will do that for you. That is the shooter.

Yup. Im shooting clays with a stock Browning Citori. Might have been $100 new but I doubt it. When I was shooting sporting clays on a regular basis I was consistently in the mid-80's. I bet with a $20,000 shotgun I coulda broke into the 90's!

I wish I still lived close to the shotgun range. Clays are a lotta fun!

I'm aware, that was why I was asking which one. A lot of folks read xds and think xdsc..

I got the LC9s Pro, which has no manual safety and no magazine disconnect. My safety is between my ears. But I don't pocket carry either.

It'll be fine if you do, in a pocket sleeve/holster... It is a solid gun for the price

I have the 3" double stack

No gun will do that for you. That is the shooter.

Don't bet on it.

It's really a combination of the shooter, the gun, and the ammo.

Give me the best trap gun out there and I'd still need miracle to break 100.

Give the top trap shooter a lousy shotgun with lousy ammo and she won't break 100.

Don't bet on it.

It's really a combination of the shooter, the gun, and the ammo.

Give me the best trap gun out there and I'd still need miracle to break 100.

Give the top trap shooter a lousy shotgun with lousy ammo and she won't break 100.

Eh, *she* wont break 100 anyway, cuz she's a girl and everybody knows girls cant shoot! :D

But back on topic...

True up to a point. Taken from a long range precision viewpoint, most 'decent' rifles topped with 'decent' optics will outshoot the shooter. So your average guy could spend $900 on a Remington PSS and $600 on a nice Vortex scope and never reach the rifle's potential.

Now, put me or another above average rifleman on that same combination and I'll outshoot the rifle and have to spend more money.

However, at a certain point it becomes like auto racing and you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars and only gaining a hundredth of an inch in extra accuracy which, unless the rifle is in a vice, no shooter can capitalize on.

So you reach a certain break-point where you're spending money on nicer wood, a company's reputation, or some other intangible and not affecting the inherent accuracy of the shotgun '/ rifle at all.

Kinda to the point, a friend of mine who owns a very nice training facility in Kingsville runs long range matches all the time. In days past the 308 was the caliber of choice for most shooters. It has since migrated into other flatter shooting calibers and there was a huge debate about guys shooting 'wind cheater' calibers, that barely had the terminal ballistics to knock over a steel plate but could buck the wind better. To prove a point he ran a 308-only match once and lo and behold, the same shooter were in the top 10 as always, proving the point that its more the Indian and less the arrow.

To prove a point he ran a 308-only match once and lo and behold, the same shooter were in the top 10 as always, proving the point that its more the Indian and less the arrow.

Yep. I used to compete in Bullseye (pistol) competition. .22LR, and .45ACP. I haven't in years, but if I dust off the skills with a range session, or two, it does come back, not to the level of when I was running 1000 rounds through each pistol a week, but it is still there.

I also have a buddy I shoot with that is a retired Marine. We both have AR-15's, and his trigger discipline, and rifle holding skills blow me away, but that's what Marines do.

You're betting your life on a BERSA!!??

My Bersa Thunder 380cc works fine. Except when the decocker lever handle broke off on the range and I had to get it replaced. That moved it down a notch or three for concealed carry.

Eh, *she* wont break 100 anyway, cuz she's a girl and everybody knows girls cant shoot! :D

I know your're kidding with that one. I know girls can shoot. My wife proves that often enough. Then there was this gal who shot for what is now Eastern Washington University back in the early 1970s when I shot on the Washington State University ROTC rifle team. The best I ever did against her was to come within 10 points of her on a 3 position match. She had a bad day and I had a good one. How good was she? Took a bronze in the LA Olympics the first time they had separate competition for women in shooting. Yeah, Wanda Jewell was a good shot.

I bought the XDs in 9mm a couple weeks ago. Extra mags arrived yesterday. Very happy Springfield owner. Pistol shoots great. Glock 43 was over priced.

I bought the XDs in 9mm a couple weeks ago. Extra mags arrived yesterday. Very happy Springfield owner. Pistol shoots great. Glock 43 was over priced.

I remember the XD when it first came over from Croatia as the HS2000. They are good pistols, but I am just not a polymer fan.

I know your're kidding with that one. I know girls can shoot. My wife proves that often enough.

Oh, Im definately kidding. My wife is a solid mid-70's Sporting Clays shooter and thats after laying off for weeks at a time. She is also a long range rifle shooter. I wouldnt stand out at 1000yds and let her shoot at me

Some of us in states like Massachusetts have to get the stock gun with extra heavy trigger for our protection (consumer protection and all that nonsense). So, some of us get used to the concept of modifying the trigger to make the firearm actually useful.

I don't know what the out-of-the-box pull on my 1911 is, but it's more than the 6lbs my trigger pull gauge will measure. It's my understanding that the MA-compliant S&W M&P trigger is 10.5lb.

Oh lord. I forgot about places like that. You really need to move. :)

10.5 lbs is obnoxious even on Tupperware that's carried and has no other external safety. I'd be buying the kits, too! On a 1911 that's nearly criminal to do that to one of those. Ouch.

I think my Kimber runs somewhere around 4 without mods. It's almost a little too light.

(We recalled our Bloomberg sell-outs, but their replacements didn't repeal the stupidity. Looking forward to making sure that they also don't get reelected. Next!)

Yup. Im shooting clays with a stock Browning Citori. Might have been $100 new but I doubt it. When I was shooting sporting clays on a regular basis I was consistently in the mid-80's. I bet with a $20,000 shotgun I coulda broke into the 90's!

I wish I still lived close to the shotgun range. Clays are a lotta fun!

They're a lot prouder of the Citori these days. Was just looking at them with a coworker over lunch. He wants to get back into clays. He hasn't shot clays since they were still selling the Super Skeet. :)

They're a lot prouder of the Citori these days. Was just looking at them with a coworker over lunch. He wants to get back into clays. He hasn't shot clays since they were still selling the Super Skeet. :)

That shoulda said $1000 new. I left off a zero! :D

Kinda to the point, a friend of mine who owns a very nice training facility in Kingsville runs long range matches all the time. In days past the 308 was the caliber of choice for most shooters. It has since migrated into other flatter shooting calibers and there was a huge debate about guys shooting 'wind cheater' calibers, that barely had the terminal ballistics to knock over a steel plate but could buck the wind better. To prove a point he ran a 308-only match once and lo and behold, the same shooter were in the top 10 as always, proving the point that its more the Indian and less the arrow.

This might seem a bit nit-picky, but, that test doesn't prove anything other than the top shooters are top performers using .308 and the other calibers. So, yes, top shooters are tops shooters. Give those same top shooters a stock 10/22 with bulk ammo and have them go up against ordinary shooters using a 40X, Kimber 82g, or Win 52 at 200yds using match ammo and see what happens (benchrest obviously).

My point was that it is a combination of gun and shooter and ammo. We shoot a 200yd rimfire benchest match every Saturday morning. There are rifles that simply aren't competitive no matter who is shooting them. There are some shooters that just can't read the wind and/or consistently use their front/rear rests correctly. And anything but the best .22lr ammo will have flyers too frequently to be competitive.

My point was that it is a combination of gun and shooter and ammo.

That is a good point. Equipment does matter. I was shooting a relatively stock Ruger MK II Target in competition, and getting "decent" scores. I could have modded the Ruger, and done better, but instead just bought a Benelli MP90. Yes, my scores improved. Eley or similar match ammo helps too.

Well, it's not jamming...

...But after only about 250 rounds, I pulled it out of the case the other day before going to the range and pull the slide back a few times to confirm it's empty, and the slide stays open. Hmm, figure I accidentally hit the stop, so I try it again; No-joy. Upon closer inspection, the slide stop lever is just flopping around without any downward tension.

I haven't/don't have the time right now to disassemble and investigate, but it appears the spring (or whatever provides the tension) has either broken or slipped out of position. Any ideas on where to look for the culprit? I'm not too familiar with the specifics of a Glock's guts; Haven't gone past a basic field-strip for many years...

If you removed the spring when you disassembled it, you've re-installed it incorrectly. This is a common mistake. Sometimes it gets installed in such a way that the first pin is going through the spring, instead of the spring being underneath the first pin. Just means that you put the parts back in in the wrong order. I'll take a picture of what it should look like and post in a sec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b1997a5eb48bf4f63a9aeec89cfcd0fd.jpg

Gun is dirty....sorry....just went to the range...but, if you look just above the slide stop lever you'll see whats referred to as the first pin. Just below the first pin on the left side, you see the end of the slide stop spring. Notice it is underneath the first pin. If you've disassembled the gun that far, the first pin needs to go back in before the slide stop lever to avoid having the end of the spring in the wrong position. They call it the first pin, because in the disassembly, its the first pin to come out, and in reassembly, its the first pin to go back in. Let me know if that doesnt work, and if you can, take a similar picture to the one that I sent and i'll help you out.

If you removed the spring when you disassembled it, you've re-installed it incorrectly. This is a common mistake. Sometimes it gets installed in such a way that the first pin is going through the spring, instead of the spring being underneath the first pin. Just means that you put the parts back in in the wrong order. I'll take a picture of what it should look like and post in a sec.

Yup, that's it, thanks. I haven't taken it down farther than basic field-strip, but apparently my "glock armorer" buddy did. I guess the whole front block had to be removed when he installed a 2lb ZEV race connector. Also not impressed with his magwell job. Looks like I'll be having a little chat regarding his credentials...

I like my Glocks; my daily carry is a G36.

My EDC is also a G36. I've put a few hundred rounds thru it already, always factory hollow points, mostly Speer Gold Dots and Winchester Ranger T 230gr. It always goes bang. Not one failure at all. It's been totally reliable. The grip angle is not as good as a 1911, but I've gotten accustomed to it and can hit what I'm aiming at.

Last edited:
Not a problem....I am a Glock armorer as well....I would question his credentials a little too, especially after making that mistake. Not something an armorer should mess up. But, I deal with these guns day in and day out, so experience may be a minor factor. Have fun!!!

Sig has a cal swap kit between .40 and .357sig

The barrel is all that is needed. Some of the cal swap kits have parts that are redundant (like the rest of the slide and a magazine). This is done for the P250 where you might be swapping for a 9mm or 45 where you need the other parts.

Back