Got a new Glock... Or so I thought...

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
I got a new Glock 34 a few days ago for my birthday, and was browsing through the booklet and came across something very unsettling. In the TOC there is an entire chapter labeled "Clearing Malfunctions (Jams)."

But how can that be? Did I get a cheap Chinese knock-off??? I've always heard with earnest from the Glocktards that Glocks don't jam or malfunction...

Glock%20TOC.JPG

I believe the jam clearing procedure is in the manual for the case when somebody runs cheap ammo through the gun and get it nice and dirty and "jammy".

The only thing I've never had jam is the single-shot break-open 20 gauge...

I had an H&R break-open 20 gauge that would jam. Some shells would get stuck and they'd have to be pried out...

My 1911 on the other hand almost never jams since I polished the ramp. The Garand has never jammed but I doubt if I've put 50 rounds through it. :D

Last edited:
The only time I've seen a quality semi-automatic jam is when the shooter lets the frame move in recoil along with the slide. I'm sure they had to put that in the owner's manual to cover their ass.

Should have got a Sig.

Yup, I was highly impressed with the 226

Or better yet suck it up and just get a SVI Infinity.

Glocks geometry doesn't work well for me.

I got a new Glock 34 a few days ago for my birthday, and was browsing through the booklet and came across something very unsettling. In the TOC there is an entire chapter labeled "Clearing Malfunctions (Jams)."

But how can that be? Did I get a cheap Chinese knock-off??? I've always heard with earnest from the Glocktards that Glocks don't jam or malfunction...

Glock%20TOC.JPG

If you have a limp wrist when you shoot, you can get a stovepipe. It won't cycle all the way.

I've put 4 to 5,000 rounds thru my Tanfoglio Witness 9mm with nary a jam. It's a great gun; well built, well balanced and I like the geometry far better than any glock I've ever shot...which admittedly is only four.

If you have a limp wrist when you shoot, you can get a stovepipe. It won't cycle all the way.

Yep, only time my glock has ever stove piped was when my friend was shooting it and he was limp wristing it. I've got a few thousand rounds through it with not a single failure.

I shoot a G26 and a 17C one handed and can't recall the last time either jammed. My wrist is pretty smal, too.

Ive got several Glocks, they are great! Now i love my early sigs, they are works of art. P220 being my favorite.

Looked at the 229 seriously, but I think for my next toy I'm looking at a USP Tactical 45 with an AAC Ti-Rant. Gotta have a bit of fun...

I've got a 229, chambered in .357 SIG and .40 S&W. Nice sweet gun. Accurate and it fits my hand better than anything else. A bit large for most carry. I've also got a .40SW P250 Subcompact which for a little gun fits me well as well.

I've got a 229, chambered in .357 SIG and .40 S&W. Nice sweet gun. Accurate and it fits my hand better than anything else. A bit large for most carry. I've also got a .40SW P250 Subcompact which for a little gun fits me well as well.
.357 Sig is one primary caliber that I don't have... Hmm, I ought to move that up the list and get a Sig with that chamber. Perhaps that would be a good upgrade from my XD40 EDC... Any major pros/cons between the various models? Seems like the 226 and 229 are pretty much tied for first, with the 220 in a close second when it comes to popularity...

The only thing I've ever shot that never jammed was an AK-47.

They're good guns, some countries are better than others.

I've put 4 to 5,000 rounds thru my Tanfoglio Witness 9mm with nary a jam. It's a great gun; well built, well balanced and I like the geometry far better than any glock I've ever shot...which admittedly is only four.

Of course, it's a CZ75 clone. Probably the best of the wonder 9s

.357 Sig is one primary caliber that I don't have... Hmm, I ought to move that up the list and get a Sig with that chamber. Perhaps that would be a good upgrade from my XD40 EDC... Any major pros/cons between the various models? Seems like the 226 and 229 are pretty much tied for first, with the 220 in a close second when it comes to popularity...

Sig has a cal swap kit between .40 and .357sig

Very true. A nice economical way to still have the ability to shoot .40 should my XD40 buy the farm without buying a whole other platform. Although, then I loose a good excuse to buy another gun, such as an M&P, of which I have none yet...

As someone else said, and I can agree wholeheartedly... the only time I've had misfeeds with a Glock were when someone shooting my weapon limp wristed the pistol, taking away some of the recoil needed to cycle properly. This is my personal experience over 20 years and 5 different Glocks (still own 3 of them) and thousands of rounds. I've never had such a malfunction.

You don't have to be built like a gorilla. But you have to have a good grip on the weapon.
If you can't (man)handle the Glock properly maybe you shouldn't own one.

Glocks are just as susceptible to malfunctions as any other semi-auto handgun. I personally have never had one in four different glocks. I have on several occasions demonstrated what limp wristing can cause while instructing on the range. But, using the proper grip and technique, its pretty unlikely that it will happen. Either way, you need to know how to clear a stoppage if it does happen. And, just because it happens doesn't mean that theres something wrong with the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my Glocks; my daily carry is a G36.

For best reliability per Glock, do not use reloads. Factory FMJ ammo only.

Very true. A nice economical way to still have the ability to shoot .40 should my XD40 buy the farm without buying a whole other platform. Although, then I loose a good excuse to buy another gun, such as an M&P, of which I have none yet...

There are a couple of options for converting the XD40 to .357Sig. But, really, unless you have a need something that amounts to a flatter shooting (and maybe a bit hotter) 9mm, it's kind of a waste.

I'm in the Glock doesn't fit me crowd. They are great guns, but I can't get the hang of them. I wish they did, because they are a helluva lot cheaper than the H&Ks that I love and shoot so well.

My next gun will probably be a Walther PPS as a carry gun. I like the idea of the single stack .40.

The only time I've seen a quality semi-automatic jam is when the shooter lets the frame move in recoil along with the slide. I'm sure they had to put that in the owner's manual to cover their ass.

Add quality ammunition to that list. I saw a very interesting jam from a reload once that should have never made it to the shooters ammo box. Bulged so bad it wouldn't chamber properly.

Friends don't let friends shoot reloads unless they inspected them, themselves...

Either way, you need to know how to clear a stoppage if it does happen. And, just because it happens doesn't mean that theres something wrong with the gun.

I've always laughed hearing Clint making fun of the folks who stand around analyzing the stoppage like "Rhodes scholars" after about 5:14 in this video. Seen it more times than I can count...

Bonus points for waving the thing around not pointed down range in an unknown state... Argh...

http://youtu.be/BfyULpEhmug

Never had my hi point 9mm jam.

I have one of them there guns too. It's a lightweight plastic PoS but the damn thing shoots great and straight! Mine's never jammed either but I probably only have about 1000 rounds thru it.

I'm looking to purchase a Tanfoglio Witness currently but my daily carry is a Bersa Thunder 380. More than 1000 rounds with no jams, even with Pro mags.

Glock grips bug me. None of them feel natural in my hand.

Real men shoot 1911s. Glocks are more at home in a purse.

:stirpot:

:popcorn:

Nah. Mine's right at home in it's holster on my side and always ready.

1911's are good guns but I don't understand the cult like fascination some have with them.

Well, being that I have, or have had, many of the guns mentioned
And being that I am not a fan-boi for any one of them
Let me propose a bit of a test
Take your gun and jam it into a pail full of wet concrete, really stir it around, let it soak in there for a half hour, then take it out, shake it good and hard with the muzzle pointed down to clear the barrel, and do nothing else
Then point it at the bad-guy target and pull the trigger
Then stick it in the kids swimming pool and agitate it well to clean the cement off and pull the trigger while under water
Then leave the gun lay out in the grass for a couple of months, pick it up and pull the trigger
Use your favorite gun for this test
Let me know your results
I know which one I will pick

Now, if your gun is jewelery and a confirmation of your manhood - pass on this (I hate the sound of a grown man wailing like a baby)

Another point about reloads....you can't shoot reloads in a glock that have already been fired in a glock and reloaded. The back of the casing is not supported, so, when its fired the first time, the casing weakens near the rim. When its reloaded and fired again through a glock, again, unsupported, there is a possibility that the case will rupture and destroy the gun and your hand (s). I have seen this happen twice on the range to another agency that was using reloads in glock 21 handguns, even though glock specifically warns against this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't. They had to put that in for liability reasons.

Nothing wrong with Glocks or Sigs, although I think Sig has lost its way a bit. I am a big CZ-75 fan, and just got my fifth, a "Pre-B". The Witnesses are nice too, as they are based on the CZ-75 design but made in Italy.

Real men shoot 1911s. Glocks are more at home in a purse.

Haaa, funny. I love 1911's. I have, lets say, several. However, if I was going to a gunfight and couldn't take a proper gun (a rifle), I would take my Glock every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

My 229 came as a 357 SIG but you can fire 40 in it just by swapping the barrel. I always double check the stamp on the barrel and what the bullets look like when I insert a magazine.

The 226/228/229 are close enough that any of them will be fine, just get a good deal on it. I'm sure there are model bigots, but I'll take any of those with the SA/DA trigger (my preference, though there are others who like the others obviously).

I've never had my 229 jam even when firing reloads but I clean it pretty regularly. My little beretta I can't say the same for.

I knew as soon as I picked up the 229 that it was the full size gun I wanted.

Not sure what it means by SIG losing their way. They're still big on the pistols though you might get the impression that their rifle business (along with supressers and other stuff) is more important to them.

Last edited:

It's just a barrel. Nothing else changes, you use the same magazines, recoil spring, etc... Takes about 30 seconds to switch. Remove the magazine, lock the slide back, flip the takedown lever, bring the slide forward and off. Compress the spring and remove the barrel. Put the new barrel on, Put the slide back on the gun, flip the take down lever back and reload..

Back