Got a new Glock... Or so I thought...

Looked at the 229 seriously, but I think for my next toy I'm looking at a USP Tactical 45 with an AAC Ti-Rant. Gotta have a bit of fun...

I carried a 229 DAK and switched to a G22. Although I like the feel of the Sig much more, my scores went up about 10 points on a standard 50 round qual,course. That's enough for me.

I know of no good reason to buy a 357 sig cal handgun.... It's a pistol, the ballistics don't change much between most of them until you put the cartridge in a proper rifle...

I shoot a G26 and a 17C one handed and can't recall the last time either jammed. My wrist is pretty smal, too.

I practice single hand and off hand, due to on old injury off hand hurts like hell but I still get good cycling.

I like my XD-9 sub in a smartcarry for CC and my Glock 21 in a Blackhawk Serpa Level III for open carry.

1911? Yeah, I own one, it is beautiful. But for carry, I like the above.

1911's are good guns but I don't understand the cult like fascination some have with them.

IMO, they are works of art. John Moses Browning managed to design and build something as mechanically complex without the aid of computers. I love my 1911s, Colts specifically.

To the OP, Glocks will indeed jam and you will need to learn to clear that jam. While dependable, anything from limp wristing, to worn springs or undercharged reloads can cause them to jam. I've seen a worn extractor on a Glock cause a failure to extract and jam. Stuff happens.

I love all kinds of guns, and I own 1911s and Glocks.

I'd put a Glock side by side with a quality 1911. In a torture test, the 1911 will have a failure before the Glock just about every time. The enclosed nature of the 1911 chamber makes stovepipe jams happen easier, and the extractor/feed ramp are not great. It's a 100 year old design and it shows. That's the reason there is a huge market in 1911 tuning and reliability work.

1911s are great, but I carry my Glocks much more often.

Never had my hi point 9mm jam.

Because you never shot it?

My brother has one. Doesn't matter who shoots that thing. At least one out of every three rounds will jam.

Nothing wrong with Glocks or Sigs, although I think Sig has lost its way a bit. I am a big CZ-75 fan, and just got my fifth, a "Pre-B". The Witnesses are nice too, as they are based on the CZ-75 design but made in Italy.

I too like the CZ75s. I traded my CZ-75D PCR a few years ago and wish i had it back. I may have to get another. They are really nice, the CZ's

I love my CZ rimfire rifles, models 452.

I'm looking to purchase a Tanfoglio Witness currently but my daily carry is a Bersa Thunder 380. More than 1000 rounds with no jams, even with Pro mags.

Glock grips bug me. None of them feel natural in my hand.

The Gen 4 glocks come with interchangeable backstraps. Some like it and some don't....might change the feel for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II traded my CZ-75D PCR a few years ago and wish i had it back. I may have to get another. They are really nice, the CZ's

The PCR is my primary carry, and has been since I bought it in 2000. Recently scored a dedicated Kadet Pistol (.22), and a Pre-B.

I love all kinds of guns, and I own 1911s and Glocks.

I'd put a Glock side by side with a quality 1911. In a torture test, the 1911 will have a failure before the Glock just about every time. The enclosed nature of the 1911 chamber makes stovepipe jams happen easier, and the extractor/feed ramp are not great. It's a 100 year old design and it shows. That's the reason there is a huge market in 1911 tuning and reliability work.

1911s are great, but I carry my Glocks much more often.

^^^^yep^^^*

We torture tested the glocks before we decided on the glock for a duty gun. We even went out in the parking lot and threw the guns as high as we could and the only damage done other than cosmetic was the front sight broke off. They still functioned just fine. They are very durable amd reliable. I've had several 1911s. Many have trouble feeding HP ammo. Sometimes you can polish the feed ramp and it helps
And sometime it doesnt help. Just depends on the gun. There are some quirks with the glocks too though just like any other. For example, if you use a tac light, just finger tighten it on the rail. If you tighten it with a screwdriver, it can cause some minor warping of the frame that can cause accuracy and cycling problems.

Glocks are great guns, they do what they are supposed to do, they are KISS and they go bang when you want them to.
Myself I prefer the 1911 style pistol, the triggers are better and they are a little flatter which make concealed carry better for me.

Because you never shot it?

My brother has one. Doesn't matter who shoots that thing. At least one out of every three rounds will jam.

Tell him to get on YouTube and learn how to tweak the tabs/wings (whatever they're called) on the magazine.

Mine's never jammed but, apparently, this is the main reason when they do.

I just bought a Ruger LC9s Pro as a smaller carry gun for summer when a G19 is a bit much to lug around in Georgia heat. I'll let ya'll know how it shoots & functions.

You're betting your life on a BERSA!!??

There well thought of in general, and a good value. I wouldn't hesitate, although I don't own any, and prefer CZ's, and some others.

Am I the only pilot who doesn't own a gun?

I don't own a gun, either. However, I don't live in an area where I have the least bit of apprehension which would necessitate the use of a firearm. I'm not against owning guns, but just have never really been intrigued enough to go buy one. I do have a nice 1200fps pellet rifle though, if that counts, lol.

If I were to buy anything, it'd probably be a nice 12ga semi-auto shotgun for home defense for my wife when I travel. No need to be particularly accurate with that, and the recoil should be manageable as long as we aren't using magnum shells.

I know of no good reason to buy a 357 sig cal handgun.... It's a pistol, the ballistics don't change much between most of them until you put the cartridge in a proper rifle...

They make a distinct noise, everyone always stops behind me at the range to see what i'm shooting. Super Troopers i've talked to said they switched to .357 cause of penetration vs the .40 granted they could be BSing me.

Downside hard to find in stores and expensive compared to the 9mms. But thats why I have a .40 and 9mm to barrel to drop in when I just wanna put holes in paper.

On topic only had one jam in a glock and it was a reload that had a bend near the bottleneck on the .357sig

I like my Glocks; my daily carry is a G36.

For best reliability per Glock, do not use reloads. Factory FMJ ammo only.

My G36 works perfectly with Speer Gold Dot or Winchester PDX both in 230gr. When I first got it, I used Hornady Critical Defense 185gr and it ran perfectly as well... I've just grown to like the heavier grain bullets instead.

Last edited:
Have to put that in there to cover themselves. Doesn't mean you will have a problem if you take care of it. I went with a 226 over the Glock and absolutely love it!

Nice little guns!

I've heard they compare very favorably with the very similar Walther PPK.

Hmmm, maybe theyve gotten better. Kahr used to be lower tier, but theyve been making some nice pistols. My wife and I both carry a Kahr. Maybe Bersa upped their game in the last few years.

For you guys that dont own guns, dont worry I have enough for both of us...:D

I like my Glock 22. I also like my P226 and P4X. They're all good, reliable handguns. I like my S&W 500 Magnum better than any of them.

Last edited:
Aint THAT the truth! I coulda bought a BUNCHA guns for what I spent on my PPL!

And for the sizeable gun and ammo collection I have, I still couldn't really buy anything other than a beater old experimental single seater.

Well, check out the prices of really top-of-the-line trap and skeet shotguns, especially with the top quality wood... waaaay north of $12,000

And some of the pistol competitors will shoot 50,000+ rounds per year.

but, for most us, flying is definitely more expensive that shooting.

Well, check out the prices of really top-of-the-line trap and skeet shotguns, especially with the top quality wood... waaaay north of $12,000

And some of the pistol competitors will shoot 50,000+ rounds per year.

but, for most us, flying is definitely more expensive that shooting.

Oh no doubt. I've seen an $80K+ shotgun a couple times at Cabela's. Why anyone would spend that kind of money on one, I have no idea. I guess it's only money.:dunno:

Own a Glock 23 and it is a good pistol. Also have 2 M1911A1s which I love to shoot. My CZ-85 is my favorite shooter though. My carry is a Taurus PT-740 which I like for small size in a .40. Also have a matching numbers Mauser made P-38 with issue holster. Pretty much like them all. Only pistol I had and didn't care for was Taurus 99...just too large a grip. Sold it and bought my first 1911A1. Any of them can jam if not cared for.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Nothing wrong with Glocks or Sigs, although I think Sig has lost its way a bit. I am a big CZ-75 fan, and just got my fifth, a "Pre-B". The Witnesses are nice too, as they are based on the CZ-75 design but made in Italy.

I'm curious what you're thinking here about "losing their way". Someone else pointed out that they're doing a lot of rifle stuff these days, but they aren't neglecting the pistols. Their new stuff is actually rather fascinating. Karen shot a P2022 at "Sig Days" at our range and absolutely loved it and bought one. The same DA/SA trigger but the bottom half of the gun is "Tupperware" like a Glock, dropping the notoriously high Sig price down to where if you're a DA/SA fan and/or a Sig trigger fan, you're paying now just over Glock prices for something VERY close in feel to a traditional Sig pistol. (Supposedly the newer ones are even better. The 2022 is a lost in the middle design and was a huge sleeper, price-wise, for a while. At one point they were selling for Glock prices. No more. Folks figured it out.)

I'm a huge fan of DA/SA with a de-cocker and was overjoyed when Karen told me if she was getting her 2022 that I could get a P226 TacOps last year for Christmas presents to each other. I have only one other pistol I enjoy shooting as much as that Sig, and that's my Gen3 S&W. Both are absolute tack drivers. Smithy was another price sleeper for a while and hasn't climbed as much as the 2022 but that's because it's heavy and folks want carry pistols instead of full size stuff.

The 1911s are fine. Well the normal barrel length ones. Dad's short barrel 1911 is a complete PITA to keep running properly. I've sworn off ever buying a short barrel 1911 ever again. Enjoy shooting those too, but not as much as the Sig and Smithy.

Early adopter on the Springfield XDS and now want to try the 4" 9mm version. The 3" .45 ACP is just a punishing little bastard to shoot much but is fun in its own way. It's by far the pistol that friends see me shooting and decline to try themselves after seeing that little mule kicker beat the hell out of me. Haha. I'll put a couple hundred rounds through it and always end up with a blister or a pinch from the five round magazine before the session is over with. It's not a easy shooting range pistol. I keep meaning to try the main XD lineup.

The Glock "natural point" angle and I don't get along. I could figure it out given enough time but I'm just not interested. Next Tupperware will be XD or XDm just to see if I like them.

But frankly I need to put more rounds through the Sig. Still working on the initial DA shots and it hasn't loosened up much yet. I don't really want to do any trigger changes to it, I just want to get good with that first DA shot. So I'm working on that. Working on that from the holster is a workout still but getting easier. I overthink it instead of just squeezing and putting that first round on target. Follow up SA shots are like butter. Love shooting that thing.

By far I'm most accurate with the Smithy. That brick of stainless steel I'd pick up first every time if I HAD to hit something on the first shot with a pistol. If I couldn't grab one of the rifles, that is.

And make fun of it all you like, if I had to hit something first try with the rifles and didn't need massive range or stopping power of a real bullet, I'd reach for the tube fed Marlin .22. It's what I learned on with iron sights as a kid and I don't miss with it. I have two of them. One is an anniversary edition and doesn't get fired much. The other is the ultimate plinking rifle. For less than $200 you can have a lot of fun with a Marlin 60. Making speed loaders from McDonalds drink straws is a good way to kill an afternoon watching football, too. Ha.

Am I the only pilot who doesn't own a gun?

Maybe, but we can help fix that. Haha.

Early adopter on the Springfield XDS and now want to try the 4" 9mm version. The 3" .45 ACP is just a punishing little bastard to shoot much but is fun in its own way. It's by far the pistol that friends see me shooting and decline to try themselves after seeing that little mule kicker beat the hell out of me. Haha. I'll put a couple hundred rounds through it and always end up with a blister or a pinch from the five round magazine before the session is over with. It's not a easy shooting range pistol. I keep meaning to try the main XD lineup.

Lol, the XDs always requires a small blood sacrifice, usually a little blister on the thumb web from the aggressive checkering.

The XDm otoh is a very comfortable shooter, certainly in 9mm. The XDm compact with the small grip is not much larger than the XDs but offers 13 rounds (in 9mm) instead of 7.

Now if they could put the XDm trigger in the XDs.....

Back