Golf on the decline. Doesn't look good for the future

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...y-america-fell-out-of-love-with-golf/?hpid=z5

I found myself playing less and less last year, and it looks like I'm not alone. I started playing with my dad back in the late 70s when I was in college, and it always gave me a great sense of camaraderie and pleasure when we didn't have to play fast. He retired on a private course, and it went under a few years later, so it's happening all over the country. We have a fairly new course near my house and it's struggling along, but not gaining much.

The new demographic likes faster action, and immediate gratification to learn golf well. Wonder if it will ever recover.

I play once a year and usually finish 2nd or 3rd in our tournament 4some. That's plenty of golf. :yes:

I used to belong to a small club years ago, then kids happened, and travel happened, and boating, fishing, flying, skiing, etc happened. I played twice last year and when you don't play often of course, your swing goes bad and it just gets more frustrating.

Sounds just like GenAv, maybe 10 years ago, and here we are toady. :-/

Eh, can't get on the course here after work because all of them are filled with leagues, and on the weekend it's stupid slow because you're always behind some idiot that takes 5 minutes to hit a 75 yard worm burner from 300 yards out. Then he takes another 5 minutes to hit that shot, you guessed it, 75 yards. Then takes another 5 minutes...Oh, and he's with 3 other guys that do the same thing, and they all follow the rules of furthest away hits.

My brother and I, in a cart, 18 holes we finished in under 2.5 hours when we had no one in front of us - and that's probably the longest course around here with TWO 600yd+ holes. My buddy and I, walking, played 9 in a shade over an hour. Of course it helped we both shot 37, and weren't looking for balls in the woods.

Eh, can't get on the course here after work because all of them are filled with leagues, and on the weekend it's stupid slow because you're always behind some idiot that takes 5 minutes to hit a 75 yard worm burner from 300 yards out.

As always, you are the exception to the rest of the world.

"That drop-off has hit America's greens and links hard. More golf courses closed than opened in 2013 for the eighth straight year, according to the National Golf Foundation. And the number of course closures has sped up, averaging 137 closings every year since 2011, data from golf-industry researcher Pellucid show."

I believe there is an over-supply of golfcourses as the result of real estate developers selling the 'living on a golf course' dream. They made their money on the land and houses, whether the course is viable is of no importance to them.

As always, you are the exception to the rest of the world.

"That drop-off has hit America's greens and links hard. More golf courses closed than opened in 2013 for the eighth straight year, according to the National Golf Foundation. And the number of course closures has sped up, averaging 137 closings every year since 2011, data from golf-industry researcher Pellucid show."

It would be interesting to see where the 137 closings/year were, because like I said, there is no open golf from 5pm until dark around here on weekdays. I do know of one that closed around here in the past couple years, but a few more opened.

I have a love/hate relationship with golf, quitting and un-quitting several times. But now with flying it opens up more opportunities for a fun 'event' for me and some friends, as opposed to just "playing another round".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...y-america-fell-out-of-love-with-golf/?hpid=z5

I found myself playing less and less last year, and it looks like I'm not alone. I started playing with my dad back in the late 70s when I was in college, and it always gave me a great sense of camaraderie and pleasure when we didn't have to play fast. He retired on a private course, and it went under a few years later, so it's happening all over the country. We have a fairly new course near my house and it's struggling along, but not gaining much.

The new demographic likes faster action, and immediate gratification to learn golf well. Wonder if it will ever recover.

The new demographic is over worked and under paid. They have neither the time or money for golf, flying, scuba, hunting or a bunch of other activities that are on the decline.

Golf is starting to price themselves out of the average persons budget. To get good you have to play often,playing often gets expensive. They don't call it a rich mans sport for nothing. Now about flying.

I've been a golf-aholic for 25 years after playing and setting it aside as a kid. I'm a member of a healthy and prospering club although I was very careful before committing to any club. Some are set up better than others. Some are financially stronger than others. I know country clubbers who are thriving and others who've lost their investments when the club defaulted. Buyer beware.

My favorite thing about golf these days is traveling to play. I get a couple of trips in every year. Those are what I look forward to.

One would think that golf and flying go together well, and I know a lot of pilots golf, but it's very rare when I get somewhere and see folks taking the clubs out of their plane. Maybe they ship them, I don't know but it really rare in TX which is pretty big on golf to see someone carrying clubs around an FBO.

Disc golf taking away from it for the younger crowd? My town has 2 disc golf courses in city parks, they'll be 10 deep waiting to go on each hole every weekend in summer. 30 bucks for a couple of fancy frisbees is all you need.

I enjoy it when the timing for my run-up coincides with golfers trying to concentrate on their shot on the course that's adjacent to my home airport. :raspberry:

My daughter was a good junior golfer. She has little interest to play now. it takes too much time for her. On a sunny afternoon with a cooler of beer she might join in for a 9 hole giggle fest but that's not golf. It's good fun, though. She does like those double decker driving ranges with the targets. You Dallas guy will know what I'm talking about. They have a bar and food service. Again not golf but very popular from what I'm told. I've always been self employed so playing hookey to play golf has been manageable. For those with conventional employment? If I could only play golf on a weekend? I wouldn't play, either.

Disc golf taking away from it for the younger crowd? My town has 2 disc golf courses in city parks, they'll be 10 deep waiting to go on each hole every weekend in summer. 30 bucks for a couple of fancy frisbees is all you need.

This. I've 5 courses within a 40 minute drive. A few bucks for some discs and crappy beer and you've got one fine afternoon.

The new demographic is over worked and under paid. They have neither the time or money for golf, flying, scuba, hunting or a bunch of other activities that are on the decline.

Yep. New York State has reduced the minimum hunting age to 12, dramatically lowered the cost of the license to $22.00 ($5.00 for ages 12 - 15), reduced the doe permit fee to $10.00 (free for ages 12 - 15), combined the big-game and small-game licenses into one, and legalized crossbows, all in an attempt to get more people hunting.

Rich

What I've seen happening in my neighborhood is the courses becoming much more valuable as residential property and being taxed accordingly by the municipality. Course is sold and the town fathers are happy because they now have a new tax base. New courses not being built due to costs.

I have little interest in golf, I'm too much of an action junkie. (flying, motorcycle riding, sailboat racing, etc.) My wife likes to play and likes my company, so we've struck a deal. She golfs, I drive the cart and drink beer. Then, she gets to drive home!

Done and done!

My daughter was a good junior golfer. She has little interest to play now. it takes too much time for her. On a sunny afternoon with a cooler of beer she might join in for a 9 hole giggle fest but that's not golf. It's good fun, though. She does like those double decker driving ranges with the targets. You Dallas guy will know what I'm talking about. They have a bar and food service. Again not golf but very popular from what I'm told. I've always been self employed so playing hookey to play golf has been manageable. For those with conventional employment? If I could only play golf on a weekend? I wouldn't play, either.

I think you're referring to TopGolf. They've started 'em in Oklahoma, too. They're fun, but it's not likely to attract many people to the "sport". I think golf is just too expensive and takes too long. I love to go play, but I usually only play 2-3 rounds a year so I never get good enough to get my score much below 90. I play soccer, baseball, and spend a lot of the warmer months water skiing, so golf takes a backseat to most other activities due to time constraints.

I know they've been experimenting with some courses with a 15"-20" cup, to speed up the game and make it "easier" for the newcomers to play. They've also started with a convergence of kickball and golf in order to get the Hispanic crowd interested.

I think you're referring to TopGolf. They've started 'em in Oklahoma, too. They're fun, but it's not likely to attract many people to the "sport". I think golf is just too expensive and takes too long. I love to go play, but I usually only play 2-3 rounds a year so I never get good enough to get my score much below 90. I play soccer, baseball, and spend a lot of the warmer months water skiing, so golf takes a backseat to most other activities due to time constraints.

I know they've been experimenting with some courses with a 15"-20" cup, to speed up the game and make it "easier" for the newcomers to play. They've also started with a convergence of kickball and golf in order to get the Hispanic crowd interested.

I would be shooting in the...hell, on 18 holes, under 50 with a cup that big.

This. I've 5 courses within a 40 minute drive. A few bucks for some discs and crappy beer and you've got one fine afternoon.

I also have a half dozen within 30 minutes of me, and I like to play. I don't consider it to be a substitute for actual golf though. I doubt anyone else does, either. It's right up there with ping pong and dodgeball as far as the athletic prowess is concerned, lol.

I used to golf a couple of times a month, but I just don't have the time anymore. I am lucky to get out there once or twice a year and there are at least 15 courses with 20 miles of me. Getting a tee time is never a problem.

I get my counties golf discount card ever year. I have 3 courses to choose from within a 15 minutes drive. There is another course next to the airport I'm thinking about moving my plane to, and a strip club across the street from that. I'm going to be broke this summer.

I do real well in tournaments that play 'best lie of the foursome' rule. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's usually the one with the best pencil that wins those around here! :nono:
I play 3 or 4 times per year, I actually belong to a great club that has 20+ courses that I can play as a member. I think I've played 3 of them including my home course. My youngest likes to play, but he's a college and doesn't have time to play much, we'll play one day next week while he's on Spring break.
I'm a hacker, 25 handicap, which is really too low since it was established when I was playing a couple times a month. It just takes too much time for me to want to play unless it's with my sons or a tournament, I just don't do the every Wednesday afternoon golf day. :dunno:

I also have a half dozen within 30 minutes of me, and I like to play. I don't consider it to be a substitute for actual golf though. I doubt anyone else does, either. It's right up there with ping pong and dodgeball as far as the athletic prowess is concerned, lol.

Yeah, I just find it far more exciting than actual golf. We play through obstructions not around them.

It's usually the one with the best pencil that wins those around here! :nono:
I play 3 or 4 times per year, I actually belong to a great club that has 20+ courses that I can play as a member. I think I've played 3 of them including my home course. My youngest likes to play, but he's a college and doesn't have time to play much, we'll play one day next week while he's on Spring break.
I'm a hacker, 25 handicap, which is really too low since it was established when I was playing a couple times a month. It just takes too much time for me to want to play unless it's with my sons or a tournament, I just don't do the every Wednesday afternoon golf day. :dunno:

Actually I typically pull my weight, When I get a good hit, it's a good hit. I can usually get one good hit per hole. Anymore I play in a couple of charity tournaments with friends, or a round with a client for fun. Nobody needs to pencil whip the scores, at least not the people I'm playing with.

Tiger Woods on the decline isn't helping golf's decline.

My clubs are in Florda and have been for a year. It's not my fault I can't play.

Actually I typically pull my weight, When I get a good hit, it's a good hit. I can usually get one good hit per hole. Anymore I play in a couple of charity tournaments with friends, or a round with a client for fun. Nobody needs to pencil whip the scores, at least not the people I'm playing with.

I am good for 10-15 good shots in a tournament, might be two in a row, might not be a good one for a couple holes. :D The last big tournament I was in was a political fundraiser for out District Attorney, I think the winning foursome shot 20 under par! :yikes: My foursome had a good time! :D

I am good for 10-15 good shots in a tournament, might be two in a row, might not be a good one for a couple holes. :D The last big tournament I was in was a political fundraiser for out District Attorney, I think the winning foursome shot 20 under par! :yikes: My foursome had a good time! :D

I can laugh over my score card regardless the score. It's the worst shots that bring the most laughs with the guys I play with.

I can laugh over my score card regardless the score. It's the worst shots that bring the most laughs with the guys I play with.

My only rule about golf, other than I don't play in the rain, is I will laugh at my shots, but I will also laugh at your shots! So, if that bothers you, play with someone else! :D

My only rule about golf, other than I don't play in the rain, is I will laugh at my shots, but I will also laugh at your shots! So, if that bothers you, play with someone else! :D

We need to play golf sometime.....:yes::yes::yes:

It will be a laughfest....

I haven't played much myself.

I live on a golf course that's struggling and have played my entire life. With the airplane, work, wife and a kid, my time for golf is slim these days. I hope the course we live on (purchased by the home owners a couple of years ago) can make it, but the latest financials I've seen aren't promising.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

I live on a golf course that's struggling and have played my entire life. With the airplane, work, wife and a kid, my time for golf is slim these days. I hope the course we live on (purchased by the home owners a couple of years ago) can make it, but the latest financials I've seen aren't promising.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Sponsor "Swings For Swingers" events with naked golf.

Back