GNS 430W paired with GNS 430 Non-WAAS

Greg18JL

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
So first time plane owner here of about a week. The primary radio is a Garmin GNS430W, I want to upgrade the secondary radio from a Bendix kings with a bad VOR reciever/ unreadable displays to a remanufactured Garmin 430 non-waas with an 8130 from the factory. will installing a NON-WAAS 430 affect the 430W at all if they are installed with the crossfill functions?

Thanks
Greg

I think that it would work fine, but since installation costs don’t really depend on the age of the radio and can even be higher with an older radio, it would also be a pretty substantial investment to put obsolete equipment into the plane. If I had a GNS 430W and a broken King Nav/Comm, I would prefer to put in a good Comm radio (SL40, for example) and ditch the second Nav.

So first time plane owner here of about a week. The primary radio is a Garmin GNS430W, I want to upgrade the secondary radio from a Bendix kings with a bad VOR reciever/ unreadable displays to a remanufactured Garmin 430 non-waas with an 8130 from the factory. will installing a NON-WAAS 430 affect the 430W at all if they are installed with the crossfill functions?

Thanks
Greg

Well, it won't affect it at all, because a WAAS and a non-WAAS 430 can't crossfill each other. They will remain two independent units, and each will work fine, but they won't talk to each other.

Well, it won't affect it at all, because a WAAS and a non-WAAS 430 can't crossfill each other. They will remain two independent units, and each will work fine, but they won't talk to each other.
And you’ll need two separate data subscriptions, as they’re not intercompatible.

And you’ll need two separate data subscriptions, as they’re not intercompatible.
And a drill new hole in the fuselage for a second GPS antenna.

I'd just replace the NAV/COM. Is it a KX155? Plenty of those in the used avionics marketplace and plenty of shops willing to repair them. Or you can slide in a MX155 from TKM. Or you can install a brand new Garmin GNC255 or Trig TX56a. Or a used SL30, etc.

We've had a 430W (#1 GPS/radio) and a 430 (#2 GPS/radio) in a Cirrus I fly. I confirm they cannot crossfill.

- Martin

Exactly.

Install prices are about the same, A LOT, so why not install a 650 as primary and keep the 430W as secondary?

This is interesting feedback.... Lets dive into everything a little more... This is a 1970 cherokee 140/160 with 11000 hours, and 400 hrs on the engine. I bough the plane it supplement building hours to get to that magical 1500 mark. Not planning on keeping it long. But those who are saying install prices are high for the 430, what are yall estimating? I'll look at those other options as well

And a drill new hole in the fuselage for a second GPS antenna.

I'd just replace the NAV/COM. Is it a KX155? Plenty of those in the used avionics marketplace and plenty of shops willing to repair them. Or you can slide in a MX155 from TKM. Or you can install a brand new Garmin GNC255 or Trig TX56a. Or a used SL30, etc.

It is a KX155, VOR is not working at all and the display is TOAST

Seems this guy was just quoted 22k for a 530, and I’d imagine a 430 would be similar.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...pointment-with-4-local-avionics-shops.141308/

Since they will not be installing warrantied components, then any future problems you have with the 430 will come back to the installer and not Garmin. They are probably going to quote you the “I don’t wanna do it” price to accept that risk.

Have you tried swapping in a known good 155 to make sure it’s the radio and not the indicator? Or bad/corroded coax ground? As noted above, you can still get the 155 completely refurbished, or find one in like new condition.

Back