GNC 255 and G5 DG/HSI coming our way!

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
WOO HOO! Can I get an amen?!? Maybe a bunny with a pancake on its head?!

My dad and I decided to go with a new Garmin GNC 255 and G5 DG/HSI! Should be awesome to finish out my IR with that setup. When the AI goes out we will replace it with a G5 as well.

Super excited to have some new tech in the Cherokee 140! Next mod will be to get rid of the hershey bar wing and put a Lancair wing on it! Maybe a MU-2 wing!

WOO HOO! Can I get an amen?!? Maybe a bunny with a pancake on its head?!

My dad and I decided to go with a new Garmin GNC 255 and G5 DG/HSI! Should be awesome to finish out my IR with that setup. When the AI goes out we will replace it with a G5 as well.

Super excited to have some new tech in the Cherokee 140! Next mod will be to get rid of the hershey bar wing and put a Lancair wing on it! Maybe a MU-2 wing!

I'd like to think I had a small part in that lol.

That little simple radio is like 4-5k? You can occasionally find GNS430s for that price.

That little simple radio is like 4-5k? You can occasionally find GNS430s for that price.

It was below 4k. I have the invoice in front of me. Could have bought a TKM for 3k or a reserviced KX155 (with glideslope) for like $2900 I think? That makes no sense.

IFR GPS was discussed and we seriously looked into this. Realistically if we put an IFR GPS in this plane it would be the GTN 650. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay to install a non WAAS GPS in and a 430W is still pricey (much more than what were spending on the G5 and radio).

We did a lot of research on all our options, talked to multiple shops, etc...I don't expect that everyone will agree with our choice. And that's okay. Cause I don't careeeeeeee!

Lol que the ****ing match that is about to begin! OMGGZ you didn't install a GTN 750 and full glass panel?!?! You idiot!!!

Lol que the ****ing match that is about to begin! OMGGZ you didn't install a GTN 750 and full glass panel?!?! You idiot!!!
Don't steal our thunder. That's just rude...:)

Sounds like a reasonable choice for what you want to do. If you feel the need to upgrade to GPS later you've still got the G5.

It was below 4k. I have the invoice in front of me. Could have bought a TKM for 3k or a reserviced KX155 (with glideslope) for like $2900 I think? That makes no sense.

IFR GPS was discussed and we seriously looked into this. Realistically if we put an IFR GPS in this plane it would be the GTN 650. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay to install a non WAAS GPS in and a 430W is still pricey (much more than what were spending on the G5 and radio).

We did a lot of research on all our options, talked to multiple shops, etc...I don't expect that everyone will agree with our choice. And that's okay. Cause I don't careeeeeeee!

I've been in your shoes, its not easy to spend the money. What helped me was a good friend with a really nice 177B I've worked on for years when he said his only regret was NOT installing some nice radios when he bought the airplane about 11 years ago. It still has ARC/Cessna stuff in it today, he is really aging and so near the end of his ownership.

I've been in your shoes, its not easy to spend the money. What helped me was a good friend with a really nice 177B I've worked on for years when he said his only regret was NOT installing some nice radios when he bought the airplane about 11 years ago. It still has ARC/Cessna stuff in it today, he is really aging and so near the end of hos ownership.

The way we see it...we can either install a GPS later (very unlikely to be honest) or when we sell the plane someone can install a GPS and they will have a top of the line radio and GPS. And a G5 system...pretty nice setup if you ask me. I only wish we would have put the G5 AI in when our AI first went out...oh well.

The way we see it...we can either install a GPS later (very unlikely to be honest) or when we sell the plane someone can install a GPS and they will have a top of the line radio and GPS. And a G5 system...pretty nice setup if you ask me. I only wish we would have put the G5 AI in when our AI first went out...oh well.

We all can't wait to see the final product. I think I'm going to do a thread dedicated to installing dual G5s in my dad's 182 this year. Its got some radio busing that I don't care for so probably gonna revise the entire avionics bus (breakers). It has a cessna flashing beacon breaker and a separate belly strobe breaker I'm thinking about consolidating. A GDL88 is on a breaker located in a really strange place that needs to go away. It should be a fun project.

I'm not sure about the non waas being worthless, it actually with do like 90% of what the waas box does.

I'm not sure about the non waas being worthless, it actually with do like 90% of what the waas box does.

Yea...regardless it would have been quite a bit more than what we wanted to spend. There was actually a fella selling his 530W for like $7k, but I don't know what shape it was in and it would have been a pretty hefty install cost.

Sure we could have done a KLN89B or whatever, but thats going down the same rabbit hole as we were in...which was putting old out dated avionics back in the plane and expecting them to last.

You could even make the argument that putting a 430 in is not the best option at this point and it would be worth it to spend the extra to put a GTN650 in.

The other thing is that yea a GPS would be nice as it would open up all these approaches in the PHX area, but this isn't really an IFR airplane. I can't climb to most the MEAs out here in the SW anyways, so there is not a ton of benefit of having the GPS in the plane other than it would make for a great IFR trainer plane.

I think for the airplane and mission you guys found a nice compromise with that setup. It’ll be quite enjoyable.

Sweet can't wait to see it. My kx155 works great except I can no longer read the display and I've got the dimmer pot full now. Sooooo I'm waiting for the TKM MX155 which they say will be out in spring time. Somewhere between 3.5 and 4k for the unit but I don't have to pay for install. I have to see if it will drive a G5. If so I'll make the jump some day soon.

Can't wait to see your panel!

Sweet can't wait to see it. My kx155 works great except I can no longer read the display and I've got the dimmer pot full now. Sooooo I'm waiting for the TKM MX155 which they say will be out in spring time. Somewhere between 3.5 and 4k for the unit but I don't have to pay for install. I have to see if it will drive a G5. If so I'll make the jump some day soon.

My dad went over to the TKM shop since they are here in Scottsdale...I think he said he say the MX155 or a prototype of it and it looked nice. I hear it is somewhat overdue, hopefully they get it out soon!

Maybe a bunny with a pancake on its head?!

Done!

440oolong.jpg

My dad went over to the TKM shop since they are here in Scottsdale...I think he said he say the MX155 or a prototype of it and it looked nice. I hear it is somewhat overdue, hopefully they get it out soon!

I have the Mx-170B radio from them, and it has worked great... ok, needed to have the connector in the tray cleaned once, but still a good radio... a slide in replacement for the Kx-155 would be sweeeet...

When you put in the G5, will you also move the instruments around to better the layout??.. Thinking that the DG and AI will need to be replaced one day, and what will be the best approach... getting ideas.,

I have the Mx-170B radio from them, and it has worked great... ok, needed to have the connector in the tray cleaned once, but still a good radio... a slide in replacement for the Kx-155 would be sweeeet...

When you put in the G5, will you also move the instruments around to better the layout??.. Thinking that the DG and AI will need to be replaced one day, and what will be the best approach... getting ideas.,

No my panel had a major overhaul in 2010 so the layout is great. We will take out of the HI and replace it with the G5 obviously...the top hole where the current broken CDI was will be covered with something to make it looks nice. The bottom CDI will remain where it is. I thought about moving the bottom CDI to the top hole, but I think having it in line with the G5 (which is where it is now) will make the scan more efficient.

Note: panel photo is a little old and isn’t totally up to date. We have different bottom CDI, new digital clock that replaced the analog clock, and new AI.

54848B5E-71B1-4CA1-8336-25DC71943D27.jpeg

Glad to hear people have their radios and like them. The MX155, kx155 replacement was supposed to be out last summer. I talked with them earlier this week and they look to have pricing set in a few weeks they said. And hopefully habe the units ready shortly after. The MX155 looks cool!

Oh and they are updating the MX170s to a new model fairly soon...using newer technology

My AI went out 2 months ago. after having it rebuilt twice and still not working I decided to put a G5 in. have to wait until mid march to get into avionics shop. wanted to go dual G5's however the DG/HSI takes too much time to install and they didn't have an opening for that until mid june. ADS-B stuff is starting to fill up the avionic shops big time.

My AI went out 2 months ago. after having it rebuilt twice and still not working I decided to put a G5 in. have to wait until mid march to get into avionics shop. wanted to go dual G5's however the DG/HSI takes too much time to install and they didn't have an opening for that until mid june. ADS-B stuff is starting to fill up the avionic shops big time.

Interesting that a lot of people are reporting long wait times for avionics shops. My local shop has been awesome and has always done everything they can to fit us right in. Never had to wait more than a few days.

don't hold your breath on that. king radios have an analog nav interface. it will not interface with the digital protocol that garmin uses. so far, there are no converters that I am aware of. I don't now if tkm would spend the money to put in both analog and digital output in the new radio. it would be difficult to have both and have a slip in radio.

bob

don't hold your breath on that. king radios have an analog nav interface. it will not interface with the digital protocol that garmin uses. so far, there are no converters that I am aware of. I don't now if tkm would spend the money to put in both analog and digital output in the new radio. it would be difficult to have both and have a slip in radio.

bob

Interesting...I'm really excited for this G5 HSI...would be awesome to have the G5 AI too...

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, what's your all in cost estimate?

bob

Thanks for that reply. I previously reached out to TKM about this. The customer service guy didn't know and forwarded the question to engineers. My initial thought was, if you don't already know this then it likely wonk. Thats okay I suppose im still on tap for it regardless. haha

Interesting that a lot of people are reporting long wait times for avionics shops. My local shop has been awesome and has always done everything they can to fit us right in. Never had to wait more than a few days.

That could be a good or bad sign.

There’s probably some shops who have staffed up heavily knowing there literally not enough business hours multipled by the number of authorized shops, to even complete all of the expected ADS-B upgrades by the 2020 deadline... but they’re planning big layoffs after it all slows down.

Other shops are more conservative and don’t want to add staff they can’t feed after it’s all over.

And in a lot of rural areas you just have a hard time finding people at all that can do it at all. Our shop has that problem. Small mountain valley town, not a lot of qualified aircraft folks want to move there. But they do have a decent sized and motivated staff.

As 2020 approaches, I’d be watching work done by any shop very carefully. There’s going to be pressure to rush things.

How big is your shop and did they staff up quite a bit?

That could be a good or bad sign.

There’s probably some shops who have staffed up heavily knowing there literally not enough business hours multipled by the number of authorized shops, to even complete all of the expected ADS-B upgrades by the 2020 deadline... but they’re planning big layoffs after it all slows down.

Other shops are more conservative and don’t want to add staff they can’t feed after it’s all over.

And in a lot of rural areas you just have a hard time finding people at all that can do it at all. Our shop has that problem. Small mountain valley town, not a lot of qualified aircraft folks want to move there. But they do have a decent sized and motivated staff.

As 2020 approaches, I’d be watching work done by any shop very carefully. There’s going to be pressure to rush things.

How big is your shop and did they staff up quite a bit?

Its a large shop..they service all of the Westwind school airplanes...that said the main guy there is the nicest fella and he is very reasonable and has always been really good to us and fair. They have installed a ton of these G5s and GNC 255s.

I, for one, get your "logic" re: the GNC 255. The 255 is NOT a run-of-the-mill "basic" radio, it's state of the art with some very innovative features. More importantly it represents the next generation of non-GPS navcoms and makes a lot of sense to get into rather than last-gen stuff. You'll be able to build your entire panel around that radio and you'll probably be using it for another 15 years at minimum. I'd like to get one in my panel at some point.

You can get KX-155s w/ GS a bit cheaper than $2900, but not a lot. I agree, it just doesn't make sense to start so far behind tech-wise anymore. The price delta does not justify the decision.

It's a good foundation for when (not if) you add your IFR GPS. I've been strongly recommending people stay away from the 430Ws and 530Ws for awhile now, and going with non-WAAS makes no sense whatsoever. The bottom is just now starting to give way on the inflated prices held by the WAAS-upgraded GNS series. We're in the GTN era now. The cost of installing an IFR GPS from scratch is too great to not go that route anymore, all things being equal, in my opinion.

When you're talking about a very old piece of tech such as the GNS series, only the extreme popularity and "goodness" of the design have made it hang around as long as it has. That eventually fades. The market was also reluctant to move to touchscreen; think about the average age of the GA pilot/owner and it's not so hard to understand why this is. But the GTN series has been brilliant, people figure out the touchscreen quickly, and we're at the point now that one really doesn't hear about issues people have with touchscreen devices anymore. Our phones, our EFBs, even our computers are touchscreen now. When Garmin bet on touchscreen for the GTN series they did a good job of forecasting the future.

So once you have this upgrade done, down the road you'll want to pop in a GTN series Navigator and you're going to have an excellent base from which to build upon.

Looking forward to pics!

I, for one, get your "logic" re: the GNC 255. The 255 is NOT a run-of-the-mill "basic" radio, it's state of the art with some very innovative features. More importantly it represents the next generation of non-GPS navcoms and makes a lot of sense to get into rather than last-gen stuff. You'll be able to build your entire panel around that radio and you'll probably be using it for another 15 years at minimum. I'd like to get one in my panel at some point.

You can get KX-155s w/ GS a bit cheaper than $2900, but not a lot. I agree, it just doesn't make sense to start so far behind tech-wise anymore. The price delta does not justify the decision.

It's a good foundation for when (not if) you add your IFR GPS. I've been strongly recommending people stay away from the 430Ws and 530Ws for awhile now, and going with non-WAAS makes no sense whatsoever. The bottom is just now starting to give way on the inflated prices held by the WAAS-upgraded GNS series. We're in the GTN era now. The cost of installing an IFR GPS from scratch is too great to not go that route anymore, all things being equal, in my opinion.

When you're talking about a very old piece of tech such as the GNS series, only the extreme popularity and "goodness" of the design have made it hang around as long as it has. That eventually fades. The market was also reluctant to move to touchscreen; think about the average age of the GA pilot/owner and it's not so hard to understand why this is. But the GTN series has been brilliant, people figure out the touchscreen quickly, and we're at the point now that one really doesn't hear about issues people have with touchscreen devices anymore. Our phones, our EFBs, even our computers are touchscreen now. When Garmin bet on touchscreen for the GTN series they did a good job of forecasting the future.

So once you have this upgrade done, down the road you'll want to pop in a GTN series Navigator and you're going to have an excellent base from which to build upon.

Looking forward to pics!

Thanks I agree! Like I said...no idea how long we will hang onto this plane, but if we had a G5 AI in it later down the road and new ADS-B transponder I think it would be a very attractive Cherokee for someone to buy. GPS would be awesome. I totally agree that IMO it doesn't make sense to put an old 430 in it. If your going to go through the expense of installing a GPS just go straight for the 650.

I will be very curious as to your transition. The plane I'm training is is getting the dual G5 AI + HSI upgrade "in the next few weeks". Which should just about coincide with my check ride...yipee. New hardware to learn.

I will be very curious as to your transition. The plane I'm training is is getting the dual G5 AI + HSI upgrade "in the next few weeks". Which should just about coincide with my check ride...yipee. New hardware to learn.

I really wish we put a G5 AI in when our first one went out...oh well. Dual G5s would be SWEET

I really wish we put a G5 AI in when our first one went out...oh well. Dual G5s would be SWEET

I just got an HSI kit, and now am trying to see if it will drive my Brittain autopilot heading error. It looks promising.

Just dropped the plane off...will be getting installed tomorrow and monday

Back