GNC 255 and G5 DG/HSI coming our way!

Just dropped the plane off...will be getting installed tomorrow and monday

I just got one the other day and and now playing with it to see if it can replace the DG on my brittain autopilot. Its loaded with a bunch of preset autopilot interfaces and a custom setting at the end of the menu. From what I understand the brittain should be the same as the AC NSD-360 HSI.
upload_2018-2-16_9-49-21.png
upload_2018-2-16_9-48-59.png

I just got one the other day and and now playing with it to see if it can replace the DG on my brittain autopilot. Its loaded with a bunch of preset autopilot interfaces and a custom setting at the end of the menu. From what I understand the brittain should be the same as the AC NSD-360 HSI.
View attachment 60198
View attachment 60197

Your speaking Greek to me man...I'm just a guy who flies the plane :)

WOO HOO! Can I get an amen?!? Maybe a bunny with a pancake on its head?!

My dad and I decided to go with a new Garmin GNC 255 and G5 DG/HSI! Should be awesome to finish out my IR with that setup. When the AI goes out we will replace it with a G5 as well.

Super excited to have some new tech in the Cherokee 140! Next mod will be to get rid of the hershey bar wing and put a Lancair wing on it! Maybe a MU-2 wing!
CONGRATS!!!

Friends and family of POA! It is done! The great Cherokee 140 of the SouthWest has risen from the ashes of old avionics and desperation.

I might be able to get out there tomorrow to pick it up and take some pics depending how busy I am. I'm getting married on Saturday and going to Maui for the week on Sunday...so might have to wait for panel pics until after the honeymoon. Then back to my IR. Plan to take the IR checkride in March.

DILLY DILLY YA'LL

CHEERS

Friends and family of POA! It is done! The great Cherokee 140 of the SouthWest has risen from the ashes of old avionics and desperation.

I might be able to get out there tomorrow to pick it up and take some pics depending how busy I am. I'm getting married on Saturday and going to Maui for the week on Sunday...so might have to wait for panel pics until after the honeymoon. Then back to my IR. Plan to take the IR checkride in March.

DILLY DILLY YA'LL

CHEERS

1. Congrats on your wedding.
2. Are you more exited about your marriage and honeymoon OR shooting approaches with your new toy? be honest

:biggrin::biggrin:

Here you guys go! This thing is AWESOME! So is the new radio!

IMG_2383.JPG
IMG_2382.JPG

Talked with my dad were gonna upgrade the AI to the G5 in the next 6 months or so. New LED Strobe/Beacon probably in the next few months.

1. Congrats on your wedding.
2. Are you more exited about your marriage and honeymoon OR shooting approaches with your new toy? be honest

:biggrin::biggrin:

Lol I am excited for both. Excited to get my IR finally done.

Talked with my dad were gonna upgrade the AI to the G5 in the next 6 months or so. New LED Strobe/Beacon probably in the next few months.
Move the existing AI over to the empty hole. At least until you need it for something else.

Move the existing AI over to the empty hole. At least until you need it for something else.

We could...or we could just get rid of the vacuum system altogether. This airplane is great for training and VFR flying but I understand it’s limitations as any sort of IFR airplane.

unless there is an AP (or retain for pure backup).. he can get rid of the vacuum system too.

We could...or we could just get rid of the vacuum system altogether. This airplane is great for training and VFR flying but I understand it’s limitations as any sort of IFR airplane.
curios, why so?

Interesting that a lot of people are reporting long wait times for avionics shops. My local shop has been awesome and has always done everything they can to fit us right in. Never had to wait more than a few days.
Local A&P has installed a couple G5s already, trying to find the $$$ for one in the cherokee

I'm guessing he is referring to the fact that in the mountain west, typical MEAs are near, or above, his airplane's service ceiling. IFR cross country flying, in most cases, is not practical.

Exactly :)

Here you guys go! This thing is AWESOME! So is the new radio!

View attachment 60408
View attachment 60409

So the actual aluminum panel, was that made by someone, and is another one available?.. that looks great!.. and the throttle and mixture controles, I hope to do the same. and I hope to do the same concept to my 140... I think the -2- G5 install will be in my future if I go for an IR ticket... along with a new GPS radio..

So the actual aluminum panel, was that made by someone, and is another one available?.. that looks great!.. and the throttle and mixture controles, I hope to do the same. and I hope to do the same concept to my 140... I think the -2- G5 install will be in my future if I go for an IR ticket... along with a new GPS radio..

It was made...I have the documentation for who made it somewhere as I remeber coming across it. I’ll have to check when I get back from Maui. Yea it’s turned out great. G5 AI and it should be an awesome setup.

Well after months of avionics issues we finally have everything working nicely. Luckily, once we installed the GNC255 and G5 we only had a few bugs to work out (but it did take a few weeks and included a new antenna install).

The G5 HSI is AMAZING. It is actually amazing at how much easier it is to fly an ILS now that the heading indicator and ILS are all on one instrument.

The G5 HSI is AMAZING. It is actually amazing at how much easier it is to fly an ILS now that the heading indicator and ILS are all on one instrument.

Nothing new, those of us with old school King 55a HSI's or similar have been enjoying the benefits for a long while.

Nothing new, those of us with old school King 55a HSI's or similar have been enjoying the benefits for a long while.

LOL, but it's new to him. Can your King 55a turn into a backup AI?

Good Lord! At $25K you got a smoking deal! ;-)

It was probably considered more liability at the time, when that thing pukes its megabucks to fix.

You buy a brand new G5 to replace one that broke for about $1200, or a brand new magnetometer for $300.

It was probably considered more liability at the time, when that thing pukes its megabucks to fix.

You buy a brand new G5 to replace one that broke for about $1200, or a brand new magnetometer for $300.

That's a great point, I had never considered the long term maintenance costs aspect.

4-5 years back the bearings in the remote gyro back in the electronic bay went bad and we had to have the unit rebuilt. If something like that happens now, hello G5.

Back