Glasair III owner here - intoduction

One of the reasons is the fact that my wife hates the clouds. The faster I can climb/descend through them the better. It was a fun approach. Had the weather been low I would have probably entered around 160 knots and crossed the FAF at 120 so I could lower the gear. That is the biggest complaint I have about the G3 - the gear speed is way too low. My Duke had a 176 knot gear speed. I wish the G3 had the same.

Has anyone one with a Glasair III hurt the gear by extending at too fast of airspeed ???:dunno:...

Remember, you have an (experimental)... You can determine VLE at any speed you want it to be...

One of the reasons is the fact that my wife hates the clouds. The faster I can climb/descend through them the better. It was a fun approach. Had the weather been low I would have probably entered around 160 knots and crossed the FAF at 120 so I could lower the gear. That is the biggest complaint I have about the G3 - the gear speed is way too low. My Duke had a 176 knot gear speed. I wish the G3 had the same.

Tell her to suck it up or leave her at home.

In the 135/121 world we have something called operational control, we do not give pax operational control for very good reason.

Unless she has a higher license or higher experience then you, she is nothing more than a pax, every time you alter your plans in the air based on her you are more likely to kill both of you.

I fly my girl around too, she knows enough to know she doesn't know much about flying, and she knows better then to try to change how I fly at a critical stage of flight.

Just one mans opinion.

Tell her to suck it up or leave her at home.

In the 135/121 world we have something called operational control, we do not give pax operational control for very good reason.

Unless she has a higher license or higher experience then you, she is nothing more than a pax, every time you alter your plans in the air based on her you are more likely to kill both of you.

I fly my girl around too, she knows enough to know she doesn't know much about flying, and she knows better then to try to change how I fly at a critical stage of flight.

Just one mans opinion.

LOL James. I do it because I want to also. Nothing drives me more nuts than some guy in a fast plane doing a 95 knot approach . I bought the plane to get there fast and if it makes her more comfortable also that is a benefit.

As for 135, I do that also along with part 91 with some very important people. Their safety is my #1 priority and their comfort is a very close second. I want them to enjoy the ride and my "pilot" ego means nothing. I will fly the plane safely using the most comfortable means.

Has anyone one with a Glasair III hurt the gear by extending at too fast of airspeed ???:dunno:...

Remember, you have an (experimental)... You can determine VLE at any speed you want it to be...

The gear doors are the problem. Some guys have beefed theirs up and have increased to 150 knots.

I wonder what VG's would do to the handling.

I know the plane is built for speed, but it might be a worthwhile trade off.

58 kts Vso is not bad, but I bet VG's would cut down that sink rate and shave 2-3 knots off the stall speed

Last edited:
Yes, it helps a ton I'm sure. It literally takes less than 12" of manifold pressure in level flight to get below 120 knots indicated with the gear up. However, once the gear is down you need 20" to maintain the same speed. This is the biggest downer of the Glasair. It is fast, it handles well, it goes through the bumps like they are not there, climbs like a homesick angel, comfortable inside, looks good, but it does not slow down well and the gear is very draggy.

Once you get accustomed to the operation it is not a problem, but you have to plan ahead. For decent visibility and ceiling days I simply come into the airport area over gear speed with reduced power and then pull back on the stick to bleed off speed. Once the speed is met I lower the gear and the flaps and push the stick back over.

Yes, it helps a ton I'm sure. It literally takes less than 12" of manifold pressure in level flight to get below 120 knots indicated with the gear up. However, once the gear is down you need 20" to maintain the same speed. This is the biggest downer of the Glasair. It is fast, it handles well, it goes through the bumps like they are not there, climbs like a homesick angel, comfortable inside, looks good, but it does not slow down well and the gear is very draggy.

Once you get accustomed to the operation it is not a problem, but you have to plan ahead. For decent visibility and ceiling days I simply come into the airport area over gear speed with reduced power and then pull back on the stick to bleed off speed. Once the speed is met I lower the gear and the flaps and push the stick back over.

Speed brakes?

I wonder what VG's would do to the handling.

I know the plane is built for speed, but it might be a worthwhile trade off.

58 kts Vso is not bad, but I bet VG's would cut down that sink rate and shave 2-3 knots off the stall speed

VGs do help a little, but they completely ruin the look of the plane and they are a pain to wash and wax around. The takeoff performance is pretty good.

VGs do help a little, but they completely ruin the look of the plane and they are a pain to wash and wax around. The takeoff performance is pretty good.

Could you put them on your slotted flaps?

Never seen this before, just ran across it..

69889main_Micro-VG-fig5.gif

Speed brakes would definitely help. Unfortunately, I do not want to take the time to do it or have to mess with the paint again.

The VGs on the flaps are interesting, but my flap speed is 122 knots also. The VGs would not help slowing it down any, but might help with slow speed handling. With that said, there is never a reason to be slow in this plane. You almost have to have the throttle off to be slow and the takeoff performance is pretty good, so not sure what benefit overall the VGs would provide.

VGs would not help slowing it down any, but might help with slow speed handling. With that said, there is never a reason to be slow in this plane. You almost have to have the throttle off to be slow and the takeoff performance is pretty good, so not sure what benefit overall the VGs would provide.

The VG's should lower the stall speed, lower the sink rate at a given airspeed and reduce your landing distance.

The most tangible benefits would be improved safety in an off field landing. And reducing the field length you are comfortable landing on.

By how much I don't know. And at what cruise airspeed penalty.. don't know that either. Glasairs are built to go fast and I definitely get that. VG's are typically thought of as exclusive to STOL airplanes, however I have seen them on many piston twins and even jets.

If I was buying a Glasair III I would probably only buy one with the slotted flaps and long wing tips as you have done. For the off-field landing aspect, it would be a safety requirement for me personally. Are there any BRS systems available for them? If so, I might consider a short wing, standard flap plane. Knowing I would be relegated to longer runways in exchange for more speed.

Last edited:
Just got a response from RDD about doing a Therm-X de-ice system. Looks like $35k installed. Highly considering it since this is the weak point to these types of airplanes. I like the idea of no fluid and no boots.

Just got a response from RDD about doing a Therm-X de-ice system. Looks like $35k installed. Highly considering it since this is the weak point to these types of airplanes. I like the idea of no fluid and no boots.

I assume the heat strips are electrically driven ???

How many alternators do you need to bolt onto the motor to run the system??:dunno:......:hairraise:

Yes, electric driven carbon panels that bond to the leading edge and prop. It requires a stand-alone 100 AMP alternator that mounts to the accessory case of the engine. This alternator can only be used for de-ice. The way I understand it the system checks itself every time you start up the engine. If it passes, you get an indication that you are good to go. When the temp drop below 41F it arms itself ready to go. I need to learn more.

Yes, electric driven carbon panels that bond to the leading edge and prop. It requires a stand-alone 100 AMP alternator that mounts to the accessory case of the engine. This alternator can only be used for de-ice. The way I understand it the system checks itself every time you start up the engine. If it passes, you get an indication that you are good to go. When the temp drop below 41F it arms itself ready to go. I need to learn more.

Or arc welding when needed....;).......:rofl:.....:lol:

Last edited:
Hmmm, it gives me pause that the fuel is directly under where that would be. What are the protections regarding getting too hot? Also, how warm does it get? The skin temp really shouldn't ever get above 180-190* even without considering the fuel underneath. I'm sure it doesn't run that warm but if it overheated....? I really don't know anything about that system, just some thoughts.

LOL James. I do it because I want to also. Nothing drives me more nuts than some guy in a fast plane doing a 95 knot approach . I bought the plane to get there fast and if it makes her more comfortable also that is a benefit.

As for 135, I do that also along with part 91 with some very important people. Their safety is my #1 priority and their comfort is a very close second. I want them to enjoy the ride and my "pilot" ego means nothing. I will fly the plane safely using the most comfortable means.

I hear ya, but Id say its more a pilot ego trip shooting a approach into MVFR at warp speed just "because I want to". To each their own as long as no one lawn darts a plane I guess.

Pax comfort is a DISTANT 4th on my priorities, and I could care less who they are.

1 Skin
2 Tin
3 Ticket

I did much of my flying in the north west, GREAT place for GA, even on a 2000OVC type of day you'll have bunches of GA, everything from 172 hobby pilots to DHC2s on floats.
Comming out of the cloud layer at warp 9 isn't a good idea, especially into uncontrolled fields with nordo cubs and whatnot playing around. Besides Id rather shoot a approach with a lower category.

Ether way, I'm sure as a CPL/CFI you know what you're doing, just don want to see anyone get hurt is all.

Blue skies

Last edited:
It's not ego - it is flying the plane well below it's operational limits and well below mine as well. We had good ceilings are no terrain to worry about (I also have synthetic vision.)

What is the actual danger in flying a fast approach to the FAF? Is there a magical speed at which the airplane will not fly the approach?:dunno:

As I said, it was great visibility and a decent ceiling, so I don't see the problem.

As for passenger comfort, I will say this: Your passengers should be as comfortable as possible and as informed as possible. Giving a bad ride to passenger and bragging about how amazing it is that you can handle such a terrible ride for a long time is not what they want to hear. They should fell like they are sitting in a Lazy Boy in their home.

I usually let my passengers fly the plane for much of the distance. It puts them at ease and builds their confidence as well.

I had a chat with the owner of RDD. The alternator is a 70 volt/100 AMP alternator . It is connected to a controller that varies the voltage to the wings anywhere from 5-70 volts depending on the needs. The wing panels have built-in temperature sensors that regulate the heat.

The front of the wing is always heated when the system is on. This caused the liquid to go back on the wing a few inches and re-freeze. That area then heats momentarily and the ice sheds. That area again quickly cools causing the next wave of ice to freeze there again instead of running back on the wing.

He claims that they now have over 100 installations and the bugs are worked out.

Also, they have the ability to use the de-ice alternator to be a backup for your main alternator if you desire.

I like both the Glasair and Lancair for good speed and newer airframe for not too much money. How hard is it to transition to one coming from flying a retract like a Bonanza or Mooney?

If you are a good stick you will have no problem with the transition. The trick is to NOT get slow in these planes. They also have very light control stick forces, so you fly them like a helicopter - simply using pressure and not much actual movement.

Thanks Todd, so finding a CFI with type experience in Glasair would be difficult.

Awesome thanks guess I need to find a pilot with a Glasair in Northern California to hitch a ride in. I'd pitch in for fuel and food :)

I've been flying Mooney, Bonanzas and Skylanes.

Bill Walker from Phoenix, AZ will check you out. He has about 1000 hours in Glasair and I believe 15k hours in experimental/military single engine aircraft. He is also a DER.

Bill Walker from Phoenix, AZ will check you out. He has about 1000 hours in Glasair and I believe 15k hours in experimental/military single engine aircraft. He is also a DER.

That, there sounds like The Guy.

He is the guy. He gave me some very good pointers on how to fly the Glasair correctly. One of them he made clear was to always make sure you are 100% coordinated in the pattern turns and to fly a high approach.

He has stories you would not believe and they are all true. I think he is around 65 years old or so. Might even be close to 70.

Unfortunately I've yet to meet any fellow NorCal Glasair pilot owners in Northern California near KSAC or even KPAO. With the Bonanza I come in faster in the pattern than the slower Cessnas I trained in.

Getting a little closer. The avionics shop has been slammed with business. I think they have the main screens in and will do an initial power up tomorrow or Monday.

Attachments

• 2015-01-30 17.12.05.jpg
    2015-01-30 17.12.05.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2015-01-30 18.26.37.jpg
    2015-01-30 18.26.37.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 53
Have you got all those zip ties cut off close. I just love working in an engine compartment or under the panel when someone has just used a pair of dykes to trim them. Usually only costs a quart or two of blood when you reach in there. I have a pair of flush side cutters I use. Don

Have you got all those zip ties cut off close. I just love working in an engine compartment or under the panel when someone has just used a pair of dykes to trim them. Usually only costs a quart or two of blood when you reach in there. I have a pair of flush side cutters I use. Don

You know airplanes fly on gas, oil and blood - I know this because no repair I have ever performed on the Bo has ever been complete unless I have bled a little on it...

I learned that lesson on the RV7 I built. I trimmed the ties with dykes leaving about 1/16" razor sharp edges on them. When I went to work on the back of the engine the first time it looked like a wildcat had attacked my arms. When I built the Super Cub I tied all the wiring with waxed cord and Adel clamps. There is only about 10 zip ties in the whole airplane. Don

Getting a little closer. The avionics shop has been slammed with business. I think they have the main screens in and will do an initial power up tomorrow or Monday.

I'm pretty sure they do. The lead tech has been doing this for about 20 years. If not, it will be his blood :)

After this install there won't be much reason to be behind the panel. Just about everything is simple plug and play. No vac system and no mechanical whiz bangs.

You should mount that PFD on a hinge, and make a little glovebox / smuggler's redoubt out of it. It's roomy behind there. :D

You should mount that PFD on a hinge, and make a little glovebox / smuggler's redoubt out of it. It's roomy behind there. :D

At this point I just want it done. Going on 3 months now.

Re: Glasair III owner here - introduction

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have invested in the airplane?

I apologize if the question has been asked already, 16 pages is a lot to read!

Just about done. Initial power up did good with all previous electrical items (gear, lights, pumps, etc) all working and avionics powering up with no errors. Will program V-Speeds, level plane to set ADAHARS, and set up engine instruments temp and pressure information along with autopilot torque values tomorrow. Should be flying soon. New prop also going on tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2015-02-10 18.50.52.jpg
    2015-02-10 18.50.52.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 2015-02-10 18.50.59.jpg
    2015-02-10 18.50.59.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 2015-02-10 18.51.03.jpg
    2015-02-10 18.51.03.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Back