Glasair III owner here - intoduction

ha....

CJ-4 carries 9 ,cruises at.78 @ 45,000.... No prob on take off's from 2600... Landings a bit dicey ,, but duable......

Don't make me post videos...:rolleyes:

Yes, and a Harrier Jump Jet will take off in 0 feet as well, but nobody here owns one or can afford one.

Yep, in my Glasair I, I require a minimum of 3,000 ft with 4,000 + ft giving me a warm fuzzy. These aren't high lift low wing loading aircraft. What people don't understand is while the aircraft might stall at say 55-60 kts, you can't get anywhere near that on approach. You'll develope an excessive descent rate if you do.

I enter the pattern shooting for 145 KIAS or less, 100 on base, 80 on final and touching down at 70. Touching down at 70 kts on a little runway and a little long and you'll find yourself overheating your brakes and possibly a brake fire. That has happened before. I go thru brake pads once a year at condition insp time.

I enter the pattern at 200 knots about 300 ft low at a 45 dgree angle (no other traffic in the pattern.) I am usually at 15 IN of manifold pressure by then. I then pull back on the stick and pull the throttle back to near idle. I am usually at Turbine pattern altitude by the time I hit gear speed of 120. Gear comes down, flaps come down, and nose goes down. Nice 115 knot downwind to base with 100 on short final. I can get it stopped in 2500 easily, but I don't see a reason to burn up my brakes. All the airports I use have 5000'+ strips.

The Glasair is built for speed and not for short / soft fields. I personally will not fly it out of strips of at least 3500 ft and hard surface. You are 110 knots on final and 100 knots over the fence with touch down around 80 knots. It bleeds off speed very quickly - you don't full stall land it. It just wasn't designed for this type of airport. The tires and brakes are also tiny.

Yet another reason the Vans RV is so popular and the Glasair is not. Likely a deal killer for me too. Although I would only want the Glasair II, is that plane as bad with short field? Anybody try vortex generators?

Losing speed in this plane is tough without chopping the power. It's a old habit and I've been trained to do power, prop and mixture changes in very slow gradual increments unless it becomes a safety issue to not do so quickly. Power reductions in 1 to 2 inch increments with at least several minutes in between. Every time I get the urge to move the throttle or prop abruptly.. I remember the engine overhaul invoice.

Whew 200 kts.. that's a fast entry. I try my best to get below 180, better 160 before approaching within 5-8 miles of the airport. Being a small, fast moving, sky colored airplane, gotta give the MT Cub drivers the best chances to see me. That backed up with frequent, quickly diminishing distance out reports to convey that 5 mi out call means I'm pretty much there already. Have been cut off so many times it doesn't phase me much anymore. Pattern high and wide! Gear at 140 fly the downwind at 120. GUM check (yes I intentionally leave out the prop to fine pitch). Base 15 flaps slow to 110, final more flaps and 100 kts, 90 over the numbers. Nothing too it. Easiest plane ever to land.

Does anyone install turbocharged engines in the Glasair III, or is it not worth it?

Losing speed in this plane is tough without chopping the power. It's a old habit and I've been trained to do power, prop and mixture changes in very slow gradual increments unless it becomes a safety issue to not do so quickly. Power reductions in 1 to 2 inch increments with at least several minutes in between. Every time I get the urge to move the throttle or prop abruptly.. I remember the engine overhaul invoice.

Whew 200 kts.. that's a fast entry. I try my best to get below 180, better 160 before approaching within 5-8 miles of the airport. Being a small, fast moving, sky colored airplane, gotta give the MT Cub drivers the best chances to see me. That backed up with frequent, quickly diminishing distance out reports to convey that 5 mi out call means I'm pretty much there already. Have been cut off so many times it doesn't phase me much anymore. Pattern high and wide! Gear at 140 fly the downwind at 120. GUM check (yes I intentionally leave out the prop to fine pitch). Base 15 flaps slow to 110, final more flaps and 100 kts, 90 over the numbers. Nothing too it. Easiest plane ever to land.

I would suggest you take a course from "Advanced Pilot Seminars" To learn more about proper engine management. If you are running Lean of Peak your engine is already cooler then than when you enter the pattern and slow down. Also, reducing power 2 inches every xxx minutes along with "oversquare" harming your engine is pure bunk. I am not saying you should be full power and immediately pull to idle, but running them with old wives tales is not necessary. Also, running your engine 100 ROP at more than 65% is absolutely the worst place you can run it. The ICPs are the highest they will be and at the wrong phase of the stroke. Think of skydiving planes. Full power to 12k and then power off for the trip down. Our local skydiving operation gets TBO+ out of their planes.

When I come into the pattern it is usually from 10-14k purposely staying high to enjoy the speed and out of the bumps until the last possible minute. My manifold pressure is probably anywhere from 17 IN to 21 and I simply maintain that power setting until I am 5 miles out or so and then pull back to 14 or 15. The descent is usually 240 indicated unless it is real bumpy and then I pull back to 15" and try to hold 200.

Does anyone install turbocharged engines in the Glasair III, or is it not worth it?

It is not worth it to me, but it should would make them a screamer. I wanted to get away from complexity. Having owned Dukes, P210, Turbo Toga, etc - most of my MX was keeping the exhaust and components of the turbo system in good shape. Back to simple.

It is not worth it to me, but it should would make them a screamer. I wanted to get away from complexity. Having owned Dukes, P210, Turbo Toga, etc - most of my MX was keeping the exhaust and components of the turbo system in good shape. Back to simple.

Agreed 100%.....

That is the main reason my toy is naturally aspirated....
Besides, 400HP is more then enough for me...:hairraise:

Agreed 100%.....

That is the main reason my toy is naturally aspirated....
Besides, 400HP is more then enough for me...:hairraise:

Yep,

I may want more top end up high and I will simply bump the compression of the engine to 10 or 11:1 instead of 8.5:1. A couple clicks of the fuel controller to give me more fuel on takeoff will adjust for the higher compression. 330-340HP should be sufficient.

A lot of years behind 6 cyl lycomings and 400 hours in this plane certainly develops some old hard to break habits. Wivestales or gospel, engine management styles are still hotly debated by pilots and mechanics. Until someone proves definitively slow power/rpm changes are bad for engines.. I'll probably stick to babying this one.

60kt stall speed on my Lancair 360, I use 80kts on final, or 85kts if I'm heavy. I operate from a field with 2800ft or 2100ft available for landing (same pavement, but longer displaced threshold on one side because of trees).

I've seen footage of a Lancair 360 taking up 5000ft+ of runway because the operator insisted on 100kts+ on final.

Regarding the speed reduction, climbing works, or you can be at pattern altitude further out and let it slow down. They're clean, but they're not breaking any rules of physics...they will slow in level flight with reduced power. I enter crosswind at 150-160 if nobody is around and by the time I'm abeam the numbers, I'm at 125 and now I can drop the gear and approach flap.

Curious about the landing speeds. The Glasair site says Vso for the III with wing extensions and slotted flaps is 58kts and they don't have a speed published for wing extensions and standard flaps, but I guess it must be a little faster. So isn't the usual wisdom for landing speeds Vso x 1.3? Wouldn't that make your landing speed closer to 75kts and a little higher for standard flaps? Does the Glasair site lie? Why land at over 100kts? What happens if you land your plane at say 80kts? This is not meant to be a critique, just curious.

It will stall at 60 knots with the gear and the flaps out. The problem is that you are doing about 3k per minute down at that speed with reduced power and gear out. With this plane you want to come in high and reduce power as you get closer. You do not drag it in hanging from the prop. Gear and flaps down in level flight requires about 21" of manifold pressure to maintain 110 knots indicated.

Yes, I can land in 2000' easily by dragging the plane in at 75-80 knots, but it is a nose high, a lot of right rudder, and not fun. Instead, I just choose better airports. We have 5 airports around us within 30 miles than have runways over 4k'. Where I go in FL the runways are all over 5k'. I bought this plane to go fast on minimal fuel and little maintenance. Short/soft field capability was not even a thought. Same went for my Duke. I simply did not fly out of less than 4k because I wanted options. If you want to fly out of a short strip buy something else.

Not to mention, a lot of the smaller strips don't have gas, maintenance, IAPs or the amenities of the longer runway airports anyway. If I lived in Colorado on a grass strip I'd be forced into getting a STOL plane but I don't. Buy the aircraft for the operation you primarily do.

Flying a steep approach path from a higher pattern definity gives you more options in case of trouble. Little bit like a shuttle landing. ;)
I also don't much care for runways shorter then 3k.

Flying a steep approach path from a higher pattern definity gives you more options in case of trouble. Little bit like a shuttle landing. ;)
I also don't much care for runways shorter then 3k.

In airplanes there are 3 things that are always not enough

1. Fuel
2. Speed
3. Altitude

Fuel gives you the ability to stay in the air if weather is not what you expect. Speed gives you the ability to trade it for altitude and time if needed. Altitude gives you the ability to trade a for lower speed thereby increasing time in the air if needed. This is why I come in fast. I don't want to be dragging along at 90 knots and lose the engine with the gear down. Bad Ju Ju.

Todd , I certainly don't know much about Glasairs other than they are awesome fast and good looking, but the gear and wheels are made for hard surface and I thought I heard the retract nose gear is a bit wimpy for turf and especially not so smooth turf.
That seems to be the case on a lot of hot rods. Am I correct?
I mentioned KSAW as that is the longest runway in Michigan and the closest to 6Y9 as a joke, it is longer than any at DTW( Detroit Metro)
No, definitely not going into 2600 ft of grass or hard surface. But I appreciate the invite:yes:

Geez.... You cannot get that thing stopped in 2600 feet /1/2 mile?:dunno:

You are kiddin, right ???

There is 400ft displaced threshhold , so now he's down to 2,200 ,30ft trees on each end.

Taking off with little wheels ,soft turf, warm day, high humidity, 30 ft. trees ,I'm thinking we would be picking fiberglass out of the trees at the departure end:hairraise:

I think the gear is actually pretty solid, but I am not landing on turf unless it is a manicured strip in Florida or something similar.

It is kind of like driving your Ferrari on a dirt road. That is why you own a F150.

Nope, not kidding. Yes, I can land there and probably get out just fine, but it is pushing the limits. The Glasair is built for speed and not for short / soft fields. I personally will not fly it out of strips of at least 3500 ft and hard surface. You are 110 knots on final and 100 knots over the fence with touch down around 80 knots. It bleeds off speed very quickly - you don't full stall land it. It just wasn't designed for this type of airport. The tires and brakes are also tiny.

That's OK - when you come to the Gaston's Fly-In, you can land at KBPK (Mountain Home), and one of us can pick you up in a less-speedy plane. It's a 3 minute flight, or a 45 minute drive.

Todd, when you come over to pittsburgh, kbtp has a nice 4000 foot runway. I'll provide the pizza, you can check out my glasair III nearing completion, and have no worries in or out with the nice smooth long runway ;-)

Panel about done. About 2 weeks out.

Attachments

• 2015-01-09 12.38.46.jpg
    2015-01-09 12.38.46.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 2015-01-09 12.38.52.jpg
    2015-01-09 12.38.52.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 2015-01-09 12.38.58.jpg
    2015-01-09 12.38.58.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 2015-01-09 12.39.06.jpg
    2015-01-09 12.39.06.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
My new Hartzell SS prop.

Attachments

• 2014-12-23 17.20.49.jpg
    2014-12-23 17.20.49.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
All kinds of cool new upgrades.. Very interested to see what kind if speed you get with the 3 blade.

Thanks. I'm curious as well. I had a 3-blade prior to this one, but it was a standard Hartzell made for the PA32 series aircraft. I was getting about 210 knots true on 13.0 GPH @ 11k ft.

Reading about aircraft with similar performance, mostly Lancair's, they seem to be a real handful in the event of an engine out. That seems to be the scenario that gets most guys.

What are your thoughts about dealing with an engine out? Have you practiced it?

Belated Welcome BTW!

Yeah, a high performance wing with high wing loading requires someone with more experience than the average bear, but it really is quite docile. I have the long wing tips and slotted flaps which reduce the stall sped to about 60 knots. The stall is very gentle and nothing surprising.

Engine out is not really a big deal. You leave the gear UP unless you know for sure you are over a runway or road. The Rate of Descent with the gear up is about 1300 FPM @ 120 knots indicated. The ROD with it down is closer to 3500 FPM.

The trick to flying this airplane is simply speed and energy management. There is no reason to "slow flight" this plane. It was built for speed and that is how it should be flown. It literally only took me a few seconds to be comfortable with the handling. The instructor gave me some good pointers on the landings. He said that being high on final is the way to go and I agree. You also want the gear up the very second you start a positive ROC. It climbs about 500 FPM with the gear down and about 2000 FPM with it up.

Having owned 60 aircraft I have to say this one has been the best handling plane I have ever flown and that includes the TS-11 Iskra I had. It is like a fine lightweight rifle - Point it where you want to go and with a flat trajectory. Very cool!

My wife has been flying with me for 25 years and over the last few years has developed anxiety when flying. I tried everything airplane wise including a Beechcraft Duke. I finally gave up and decided to have her and one son fly on the airlines when we travel and the other son and I fly the Glasair.

We decided to take a cruise with the ship leaving out of Florida. We live in Indiana. I asked her to try the Glasair just to see what she thought. Well, believe it or not, she liked it better than the Duke and Barons I previously had. Go figure!

Attachments

• 2014-09-26 10.47.54.jpg
    2014-09-26 10.47.54.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 2014-10-04 12.54.10.jpg
    2014-10-04 12.54.10.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 96
  • 2014-10-04 14.10.34.jpg
    2014-10-04 14.10.34.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 106
  • 2014-10-04 17.16.58.jpg
    2014-10-04 17.16.58.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Nice upgrades! You will definitely have a very nice Glasair III. Good choice on the prop, what are you putting in the panel?

Thanks Todd. G3X touch on each side, GTN650 and GTR225 in the center with the 305 autopilot controller below it. The Garmin transponder is a remote with ADS-B out and a GDL39R remote for ADS-B in. Doing the Garmin Autopilot as well. Each display has it's own ADHARS box and the whole system is backed up by an automatic lithium ion battery that will power the entire panel for 1-hour after complete electrical failure.

I have no vacuum system and only one mag with electronic ignition. I would like to see if I can get the ThermaWing system installed next.

Todd-

The only place to put those three bags was on the shelf behind your seats?

No, those bags are 26" long. Two sit in the floor on either side and one is sitting on top of another bag. My wife moved the bag to get something out of the one underneath it and then threw her "purse" back there also. She did not put it back in place after digging around. There was 80 lbs of baggage there believe it or not.

Last edited:
Thanks Todd. G3X touch on each side, GTN650 and GTR225 in the center with the 305 autopilot controller below it. The Garmin transponder is a remote with ADS-B out and a GDL39R remote for ADS-B in. Doing the Garmin Autopilot as well. Each display has it's own ADHARS box and the whole system is backed up by an automatic lithium ion battery that will power the entire panel for 1-hour after complete electrical failure.

I have no vacuum system and only one mag with electronic ignition. I would like to see if I can get the ThermaWing system installed next.

That will make nice panel. I have three g3x screens in mine (before the g3x touch!) and full auto pilot as well. I have dual electronic ignition and higher compression with gapless rings, builder estimates close to 350hp. I'll be interested to find out what you do on the therma wing. Never heard of one on a glasair.

No, those bags are 26" long. Two sit in the floor on either side and one is sitting on top of another bag. My wife moved the bag to get something out of the one underneath it and then threw her "purse" back there also. She did not put it back in place after digging around. There was 80 lbs of baggage there believe it or not.

You should have seen me pack a Swift for a week in the bahamas :)

Great looking Glasair you have there :yes:

Why would you shoot a RNAV at 245KIAS?! We don't even shoot them that fast in turboprops. :dunno:

I guess because I can:goofy:

I only went that fast to the inbound IAF and then slowed down to 180 at the FAF. The ceilings were 1500 if I remember correctly so I had good visibility once I broke out. You have to fly one of these to appreciate how they handle. With the 30 lb/sqft wing loading you can push through bumpy clouds like they are not even there.

You should have seen me pack a Swift for a week in the bahamas :)

Great looking Glasair you have there :yes:

Those swifts are just too cool! I remember there were three of them in a hangar at a small airport down the Georgia just East of Atlanta. I think it was 18A.

Thanks for the compliment!

That will make nice panel. I have three g3x screens in mine (before the g3x touch!) and full auto pilot as well. I have dual electronic ignition and higher compression with gapless rings, builder estimates close to 350hp. I'll be interested to find out what you do on the therma wing. Never heard of one on a glasair.

Your system is pretty much like mine, just different screens. The autopilot is simply awesome since you can easily adjust the gains right through the screens tailored for your aircraft. I am going to see about possibly increasing the compression depending on how my cruise speeds turn out with the new prop. If I get 220 knots at 11k using WOT/2500/LOP I will probably just leave it alone.

I just can't pull the trigger on dual electronic ignition. While you can supply dual power sources you cannot supply a second tone ring on the flywheel for your ignition timing signal. If something happens to that ring the fan stops turning. I am told by Performance One Aviation that the second ignition only adds maybe 2% more HP and very minimal fuel savings.

Looking forward to seeing your plane. I will make a trip out there when mine gets done.

I guess because I can:goofy:

I only went that fast to the inbound IAF and then slowed down to 180 at the FAF. The ceilings were 1500 if I remember correctly so I had good visibility once I broke out. You have to fly one of these to appreciate how they handle. With the 30 lb/sqft wing loading you can push through bumpy clouds like they are not even there.

Even 180 is quick lol. But 1500' I guess it's not that bad, I'd probably slow it down just incase you had some cub bombing around VFR under the cloud deck, no need to go warp speed.

Wing loading does make for a nice ride, the pilatus is loaded just over 35lbs sqft, we shoot our approaches at 120KIAS.

I'd love to get up in a glasair one of these days, saw a short winged twin turbo 550ed (I believe) one in for a annual, looked very fun.

One of the reasons is the fact that my wife hates the clouds. The faster I can climb/descend through them the better. It was a fun approach. Had the weather been low I would have probably entered around 160 knots and crossed the FAF at 120 so I could lower the gear. That is the biggest complaint I have about the G3 - the gear speed is way too low. My Duke had a 176 knot gear speed. I wish the G3 had the same.

Back