GI275 as backup?

Vince R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Vince R
Trying to understand the value of the new GI-275 as a better emergency backup than my current setup.

Right now, I have G500, GTN750, GTN650 with a Mid-America battery/electric backup AI. If I replace the Mid-America with the GI-275, do I gain any functionality? specifically, can I use the GI-275 as a backup MFD, CDI, etc - but in the event of a complete electrical failure, it would revert to just AI duty on its emergency backup battery?

Same question with regards to replacing a GI-106B CDI. I have one wired to my GTN650 that acts as a backup to my G500...if I replace it with a GI275, do I get all the fancy features with just the GTN650 feeding it, so in essence it's like having a mini G500 as a backup?

I wish garmin would do a better job of explaining their products. I don’t understand why anyone would purchase the GI 275 CDI version when the GI 275 MFD version is available for the same price and can display a CDI page! Very confusing.

I wonder the value or positioning of the GI-275 relative to G5 and G3X. For me, there just too much information for a 3 1/4" gauge. Yea, I know the display can be decluttered but that results in the content of roughly a G5. Seems like the prime audience is a pilot who wants a 3GX by buying 6 of these to avoid costs of a new panel; or when a new panel is impractical like the panel being structural or insufficient room for a G3X.

Just my view.

Our #1 unit is a GTN650Xi connected to two G5’s. I’m considering using the GI-275 as our #2 indicator for our GNC255 but apparently there is some legality involved with configuration. According to Garmin, the MFD capacity of the GI-275 requires the CDI to be considered for “standby” use only. If its not considered standby it can be configurable as a CDI only. Not sure what standby really means in this situation? Sounds kinda standbyish to me.. Very confusing.
As far as the clutter goes, I’m totally cool with having the ability to declutter as appropriate.

I wish garmin would do a better job of explaining their products. I don’t understand why anyone would purchase the GI 275 CDI version when the GI 275 MFD version is available for the same price and can display a CDI page! Very confusing.
Simply put there are two GI275s. One with AHARS, used for the HSI and AI, and the cheaper one without AHARS which is used as an engine monitor, MFD and CDI. To my knowledge they are not interchangeable and to answer the OPs question I don't believe you would gain much functionality beyond the additional information and synthetic vision you get with the GI275. It will also pair to your other Garmin products and display flight director Information and GPS.

Simply put there are two GI275s. One with AHARS, used for the HSI and AI, and the cheaper one without AHARS which is used as an engine monitor, MFD and CDI. To my knowledge they are not interchangeable and to answer the OPs question I don't believe you would gain much functionality beyond the additional information and synthetic vision you get with the GI275. It will also pair to your other Garmin products and display flight director Information and GPS.

Thank you.

The driving force for me is getting better backup functionality as my electric backup AI seems to be getting unreliable with age (even with a fully-charged brand new battery, it only runs about five minutes reliably). If the worst happens and I'm flying partial panel with an instrument that might only work for a few minutes, this seems like a pretty high risk situation.

Thinking about my airplane, there are really two different things I want to have a backup for.

First situation is my G500 failing (this happened once...the G500 cooling fan quit and it overheated shortly afterwards). Today, I have the electric backup AI and a GTN unit tied to a conventional CDI, so I can navigate and fly an approach if needs be. I'm thinking the GI-275 can be configured to give me the same information as the G500 (albeit on a much smaller screen), so this would be a much more powerful standby unit...perhaps I wouldn't even need the conventional CDI in the panel anymore. Losing the G500 in IMC is a stressful situation, and perhaps having a roughly similar display as a backup would make the transition to the backup instruments a little easier.

Second situation is a total electrical failure. In this condition, seems to me that the GI-275 can give me the same AI view as my current electric AI, plus it also has a few extra features like the built-in GPS. Having something like a "nearest airport" working in an electrical failure seems like a plus as well.

A new version of my same battery AI is about the same price as a GI-275 (though I'm sure the install cost for the GI-275 would be higher)...if the GI-275 can do the things I think it can, that seems like a better solution to me - but unfortunately, there are all sorts of little details that a mere mortal like me just doesn't get to know until engaging the actual installer...

Hi everyone, my name is Joey and full disclosure, that I work on the Garmin Aviation team. Hopefully, I can help address some of the questions here.

When pairing the GI 275 with the G500, the GI 275 is required to present the three primary standby instruments full-time. So it will display primary Altitude, Attitude and Airspeed as well as other indications like vertical and lateral guidance from your GTN 750 or GTN 650. If the GTN 750 and GTN 650 were to become unavailable, the GI 275 can provide direct-to GPS navigation and lateral course guidance.

Replacing the GI 106B with the GI 275, adds additional MFD capability. So in addition to the display of your lateral and vertical course deviation indications, MFD pages can be accessed. These include a moving map page that can overlay weather and traffic from compatible sources, waypoint information page, traffic page, weather page and a terrain page. You'll also have the additional backup GPS navigation mentioned with the other install example.

The GI 275 configured as either a CDI or MFD are the same price, $3,195, since they do not require the version with the built-in ADAHRS or autopilot interface. The GI 275, with built-in ADAHRS, configured as a standby flight instrument is $3,995.

The above examples help illustrate a couple of the value propositions of the product. But there are others, the GI 275 is a great alternative for replacing any old, failure prone, mechanical gyro-based instrument. A popular replacement is the older KI 256 ADI which can cost thousands to overhaul. Instead of using those thousands to overhaul an instrument that will eventually fail again, the GI 275 provides an alternative solution with modern, solid-state electronics that provides much better reliability, long-term cost of ownership and modern capabilities. Unique to the market, a version with a built-in autopilot interface allows the GI 275 to drive several existing autopilots on the market, like Century, KFC and many others. Additionally, the EIS system brings novel, new features to market. With an iPad using Garmin Pilot, you’ll see real-time engine instruments with the ability to ‘scrub’ back in time while in-flight just like you would a YouTube video – it’s so cool! Garmin Pilot will automatically sync the flight and engine information safely in the flyGarmin.com cloud once it connects to the internet. You can view or download any of these logs from your flyGarmin.com account at any time. Once you start adding up the price of multiple GI 275s, you'll definitely want to start considering a whole glass panel solution like the G500 TXi or G3X Touch systems. But we've heard from some customers that they absolutely want to preserve the existing look of their panel, so this solution provides a great solution and opportunity for them to do that.

I would invite anyone interested to attend our webinars we're hosting this week in lieu of giving them in person at the Spring shows originally scheduled for this week. We will presenting on the GI 275 on Tuesday, March 31 and Thursday, April 3. Unfortunately, this is my first post and I'm unable to share a link, but if you Google "Garmin Aviation Webinars", you'll find them. Thank you all for your interest and either being a Garmin customer or considering becoming one!

Joey,

Im about upgrade my entire panel with a Garmin setup. Going with. G3X Touch with a G5 backup. Thought about exchanging the G5 for a GI275 instead. Is this feasible and do I gain anything extra for the extra $$ spent. I’m also adding the GFC500 a/p.

you have backup airspeed and altimeter right now, right? I think a 275 lets you remove those as well. If you’re just looking at replacing the AI, an RC Allen 2610 is a nice unit for less money that the 275 (especially the 275 with the ADAHRS).

I replaced my turn coordinator with the RCAllen unit 5 years ago and it’s been rock solid. The UI isn’t Garmin polish, but the indicator is amazing considering the unit has just power and ground inputs. I’ve since replaced the panel with 2 GI275s (can’t do a big display because of panel height issues). I love the 275s; great units), but left the 2610 installed as a backup to the backup.

Unique to the market, a version with a built-in autopilot interface allows the GI 275 to drive several existing autopilots on the market, like Century, KFC and many others.
Looking at an install manual and seeing some comments on here, it seems like some kind of interface between the 275(s) and other autopilots (such as my Piper Autocontrol IIB) is required. Is that still true and if so, why doesn’t Garmin offer a pre-made version rather than needing avionics shops fabricate one, if I’m not mistaken?

Joey posted this 2 1/2 years ago. He may not even be at Garmin anymore.

Looking at an install manual and seeing some comments on here, it seems like some kind of interface between the 275(s) and other autopilots (such as my Piper Autocontrol IIB) is required. Is that still true and if so, why doesn’t Garmin offer a pre-made version rather than needing avionics shops fabricate one, if I’m not mistaken?

It is still true. I can't speak to why Garmin doesn't offer an interface box of their own, but such a product does exist. Deklin makes the AIU-900 which provides the transformers, resistors, capacitor, inductor, etc in a box with a d-sub connector interface. Highly recommended vs fabricating. There are a few different variants of the boxes depending on what you are interfacing (which radio coupler, whether it's providing the HSI signals or the AI signals or both)

We went thru this with our dual GI-275 install and interface to Century IIB autopilot last spring. The Deklin box is not approved by the STC. It also did not have the “gyro valid” relay in it to disengage the AP if the ADI loses attitude information, so our installer had to fabricate a custom interface box.

Back