Getting a vasectomy,

U

Unregistered

The wife and I are done having kids, so I was looking at a vasectomy. I'm looking at the standard procedure, and I believe I'll have to self ground due to the painkillers, but I was wondering for how long. Also I was wondering about any other implications to my medical (class 3) I might have to be on the lookout for. I do have over a little 3 1/4 years until my medical expires.*

The wife and I are done having kids, so I was looking at a vasectomy. I'm looking at the standard procedure, and I believe I'll have to self ground due to the painkillers, but I was wondering for how long. Also I was wondering about any other implications to my medical (class 3) I might have to be on the lookout for. I do have over a little 3 1/4 years until my medical expires.*

Find someone that does the "No scalpel" procedure. It takes all of 15 minutes and you are up and going the next day.

As far as pain, it's no worse than a paper cut. All you'll need is a Tylenol.

Be sure to tell wife you aren't allowed to do any house chores for a few weeks.:)

And it's no big deal on the medical. Just report the procedure on the next application.

As far as the traditional route, IIRC I was up and around in three or four days. No more than a week.

And don't be a little sissy boy like a guy I used to work with. He had his done, then moaned and groaned for a couple days with an ice-pack on his lap so he could get some kind of sympathy from the rest of us.

They gave me Vicodin. I only took one of them, because I didn't like the way it made me feel and switched to Motrin. You will swell up by the 2nd or third day. Use ice. Expect to take it easy for few days.

Find someone that does the "No scalpel" procedure. It takes all of 15 minutes and you are up and going the next day.

As far as pain, it's no worse than a paper cut. All you'll need is a Tylenol.

Unless, of course, you have a complication. Then you end up under general anesthesia for an hour and wake up with pain that you have never dreamed was possible.

BTDT..........

The urologist will tell you to be down for 48-72 after the vas. If you don't you will be carrying tennis balls around down there on Monday and it won't be comfortable. DO AS HE SAYS.

The urologist will tell you to be down for 48-72 after the vas. If you don't you will be carrying tennis balls around down there on Monday and it won't be comfortable. DO AS HE SAYS.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

As someone who did not take the doctors advice about taking it easy I can with anecdotal certainly confirm Dr. Bruce's prognosis. :rockon:

Take it easy, and no lifting anything heavier that a plate of food for 3 days. Follow your doctors advice to the letter. Your wife and your "boys" will appreciate it. ;)

Last edited:
And don't be a little sissy boy like a guy I used to work with. He had his done, then moaned and groaned for a couple days with an ice-pack on his lap so he could get some kind of sympathy from the rest of us.

I remember my dad taking great pride in the fact that he required two vasectomies to do the job.

Unless, of course, you have a complication. Then you end up under general anesthesia for an hour and wake up with pain that you have never dreamed was possible.

BTDT..........

Sorry to hear that. With mine I showed at the office at 8:30 and left at 9:15. Drove 2 hours to get home, watched TV for the rest of the day. Next morning got up and mowed the yard. Only had to take a couple of aspirin.

Honestly I've had paper cuts that hurt more.

Also, the doctor that performed the procedure had already done 20,000 of them and teaches other doctors how to do them.

Are you the youngest child?

I'm guessing you didn't know that you have to give a sperm sample after the vasectomy, to make sure it worked. But no, I was the oldest. He had it done after 3 kids and a desire for no more. It was very common to do that back then.

I'm guessing you didn't know that you have to give a sperm sample after the vasectomy, to make sure it worked. But no, I was the oldest. He had it done after 3 kids and a desire for no more. It was very common to do that back then.

I know how it works - mine was almoast 20 yrs ago.

The way you said it made me wonder if your parents had a 'surprise'.

I have a debate among a couple of my friends on this (and I already know what you guys that had the procedure done will say), but does getting a vasectomy in any way lower the production of testosterone? Like getting the things chopped off entirely?

Mine didn't hurt at all afterwards but during the surgery I wished I had a guy with smaller fingers. Felt like he was pulling out my vocal cords!!

I have a debate among a couple of my friends on this (and I already know what you guys that had the procedure done will say), but does getting a vasectomy in any way lower the production of testosterone? Like getting the things chopped off entirely?

You may notice a decrease amount of semen, and several months of "adjustment" of the testicles. The "vas" thing that is cut is a main support so " the boys" may position themselves differently. The sperm production does not stop, it is redirected into the scrotum and absorbed. These can be come plugged and become painfull for the first 3-5 years. No big deal, but an issue at times. :redface:

These symptoms fade with time and IMHO is well worth the piece of mind for you and your wife. Birth control pills long term have health issues for women.

Shooting blanks is not a bad thing. ;)

I apologize is my post is too graphic or blunt. Men rarely talk about these issues as evidenced by the OP coming on anonymously. I did not even know what a prostate was until I was in my 20's let alone talk about it with other guys.

It is not uncommon for men never to discuss this stuff while women have rights groups for everything. That might be a slight exaggeration, but you get my point. Ever hear of a "Walk For Prostrate Cancer" :no:

Before I get a bunch of hate mail I do walk for breast cancer research and significantly support that cause financially. My bride is a BC survivor, we get it. ;)

I think it is very healthy to bring these subjects out in the open so others may learn. :yesnod:

Last edited:
OMG I didn't realize so many pilots on POA had their tubes tied. If they can't make babies anymore, where are we going to get young pilots?

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good joke. :nono:

I apologize is my post is too graphic or blunt. Men rarely talk about these issues as evidenced by the OP coming on anonymously. I did not even know what a prostate was until I was in my 20's let alone talk about it with other guys.

I think it is very healthy to bring these subjects out in the open so others may learn. :yesnod:

As do I. Thank you for posting it.

I passed on the sample thing. What are they gonna do? Track you down and make you......:redface:

:rofl:

OMG I didn't realize so many pilots on POA had their tubes tied. If they can't make babies anymore, where are we going to get young pilots?
We popped out five of them before I had it done. If none of them become pilots -- well, sorry, it isn't for lack of trying!

I never had the post-testing done either, by the way, but as our youngest is 23 now I guess it worked. Lord knows we've "road tested" it thoroughly enough.

It was no big deal for me.

The couple next door decided that 4 kids was enough and he went and got fixed. Dunno if he did the followup stuff, but they now have 5...

I skipped the post test too, but it has been 12 years and no babies, I guess I am good.

My wife had a hysterectomy. If she get pregnant now there are a couple of surgeons that are gonna be owing us a lot of money. ;)

Last edited:
As someone who did not take the doctors advice about taking it easy I can with anecdotal certainly confirm Dr. Bruce's prognosis. :rockon:

Take it easy, and no lifting anything heavier that a plate of food for 3 days. Follow your doctors advice to the letter. Your wife and your "boys" will appreciate it. ;)

My wife had a hysterectomy. I'f she get pregnant now there are a couple of surgeons that are gonna be owing us a lot of money. ;)
Belt and suspenders.

whatever you do, don't google "vasectomy horror stories" before you go for your 'minor surgery'!

25 years ago. Must have worked, our youngest is 31. :D

The earlier comment about the prostate? Get your PSA checked annually. Save your live, it can. I don't care what that group in Washington DC said. Nothing intelligent ever comes out of that place.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back