Getting a vasectomy,

I did it two years ago, local anesthetic only, in-office procedure took about 45 minutes, drove myself home afterward (Friday afternoon). Spent Saturday and Sunday in the recliner in my underwear with a bag of frozen peas and a TV remote, by Sunday afternoon it was only mildly sore, no issue. Also no drugs other than the local he administered during the procedure - just aspirin and an occasional visit to my liquor cabinet. It's really not that bad if you give yourself a weekend to recuperate, no pharmacy meds needed.

40 years ago when I got mine, the Dr told me to get help going potty, he didn't want me lifting any thing heavy.

Did the Vet use the metal clamp or the rubber bands for you?
IAM1.jpg

40 years ago when I got mine, the Dr told me to get help going potty, he didn't want me lifting any thing heavy.

Did the Vet use the metal clamp or the rubber bands for you?

Okay, that was just plain funny, on both accounts. :rofl:

Funny, when I took my bull calves to the vet to be cut I could not watch, let alone do it. :no:

Last edited:
I have helped save livestock in emergency "C" sections, I've sewn on an ear of a cat after a fight and it took, I have cleaned and dressed wound of all kinds on myself, others, and animals, and I have held men in my arms as they took their last breath. But I cannot casterate an animal. I just cannot do it. :redface:

Last edited:
Wow. You guys are squeamish. ;)

We did all the pigs on the farm that were the correct age every so often, no special tools other than a really sharp knife and a rubber band and iodine.

Rocky Mountain Oysters if anyone wanted them for lunch! Some folks ate 'em, some folks had PBJ. ;)

Had mine done on Friday(Saturday as I'm typing this). So far slight discomfort and slight pain. I was put completely under anesthesia so I don't have any memories. That was the worst part for me, having never been under before the recovery from that has been worse than any hangover I've had. And I've had a few doozies

Had mine done on Friday(Saturday as I'm typing this). So far slight discomfort and slight pain. I was put completely under anesthesia so I don't have any memories. That was the worst part for me, having never been under before the recovery from that has been worse than any hangover I've had. And I've had a few doozies

Hmm, I thought they usually used a local. Mine was in any case. Day two or three there will be some swelling. Keep ice on it and take it easy.

The most disappointing thing about my vasectomy was that the swelling went down. :sad:

BTW, mine was done on Valentine's Day, 1997. It's been the gift that keeps on giving. :yesnod:

I've had my eye on this. Male birth control is a far more important invention than female birth control IMO. Both health wise and legal wise.

It is definitely an easier procedure than a woman getting her tubes tied and birth control pills have their issues. Someone I know had her husband get a reversal (he had it done before he married her) and that is supposed to be painful and have a lower rate of success, so be sure before you pull the trigger.

It is definitely an easier procedure than a woman getting her tubes tied and birth control pills have their issues. Someone I know had her husband get a reversal (he had it done before he married her) and that is supposed to be painful and have a lower rate of success, so be sure before you pull the trigger.

Agreed.

I'm not one for getting snipped, or apparently hitting "past" in my other posts :D

Check this out

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_inhibition_of_sperm_under_guidance

I hope they charge by the inch because I need one and I am super cheap.

The only bad thing about a vasectomy as birth control in this state is that if your wife gets pregnant the baby IS still yours!

Hmm, I thought they usually used a local. Mine was in any case. Day two or three there will be some swelling. Keep ice on it and take it easy.

Yea everyone I know who had it done was awake for it. They talked about the smell etc. just tell me about it I don't need to know that about mine firsthand.

Yea everyone I know who had it done was awake for it. They talked about the smell etc. just tell me about it I don't need to know that about mine firsthand.

It was 15 years ago and I honestly don't remember much about the procedure itself. There was a sheet blocking my view and I don't remember a smell, but maybe there was (cauterizing?).

Had mine done at a teaching hospital,as day surgery,in and out in an hour and a half ,had vicotin and a shot of bourbon,was a little sore the next morning but,no big thing. Liked having two nurses holding it at the same time.

Had mine done at a teaching hospital,as day surgery,in and out in an hour and a half ,had vicotin and a shot of bourbon,was a little sore the next morning but,no big thing. Liked having two nurses holding it at the same time.

Wow that's impressive. It took 2 dudes?
Congrats.

Local only, three days recovery, I got to sit and watch TV while my wife fed me and brought me ice cream. :)

Nice thing about that bag of frozen peas is that at some point you can feeed them to someone e you dont like

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Interesting thread. Wife is pushing me to have this done. I'm not big on elective surgeries.... especially when they're on me.

Interesting thread. Wife is pushing me to have this done. I'm not big on elective surgeries.... especially when they're on me.

Wasn't too keen on it either. Especially the area around my boys. But watching my wife pop out twins with no c section, and hearing about that for three years, not sleeping more than 3 hours a time the first 8 months they were alive, and for not having to worry about the 1 in 12 chance another pregnancy could be multiples, a weekend with swollen kiwis is a small price to pay.

Had one in May...... No big deal. Sat on peas for 24 hours. Didn't need any meds. Doc even held up the Vas after he snipped it out and showed me because I asked. Said I had to have 25 "events" in the next 5 weeks to clean the pipes before going in for the follow up test. I was ecstatic and my wife looked at me like, " No Effiin way, dude." I was like, yup, you are gonna get it!!!!

Had one in May...... No big deal. Sat on peas for 24 hours. Didn't need any meds. Doc even held up the Vas after he snipped it out and showed me because I asked. Said I had to have 25 "events" in the next 5 weeks to clean the pipes before going in for the follow up test. I was ecstatic and my wife looked at me like, " No Effiin way, dude." I was like, yup, you are gonna get it!!!!

Heh - I bet the lab crew looked at you in awe when you came back the next day!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back