Get the Lead out -- time to stop dragging our feet

Swift had an 8 year head start. G100UL got approved less than a year ago. Selling fuel ain't like selling Xboxes. That approval was also unexpected and quite a surprise to everyone involved, aside from Lirio Liu (FAA director of ACS). And it's not like G100UL is totally blocked. Apparently, they're on to plan B.

View attachment 119653

Good to hear that they have a plan B.

At first I thought it was really silly that they sold the STC before the fuel was available. Now I see that it was genius.

Pilots having (amusingly) sunk $500+ to purchase the right to buy the not-yet-existent Braly-spittle must now channel their frustrations into pro-G100UL zealotry on online forums, and must beat us heathens upside the head about it all. The amount of digital ink I've seen spilled whining about lead, fouled plugs, and evil and corrupt oil-men since that paperwork went up for sale is mind-numbing. And it shows no sign of slowing.

Clever bunnies in Ada.
Speaking for myself, I'm concerned about the risks to GA of 100LL suddenly becoming unavailable. The ONE tetraethyl-lead plant in the world represents a single point of failure, and there is also the political risk that it could suddenly be prohibited, as has already happened in at least one jurisdiction.

As for G100UL zealotry, if another UL option receives approval for all piston aircraft engines in the near future, I will happily support it as well.

Consider, yes. Worry about, no. In the 7-8 years I’ve owned this plane I’ve sumped water exactly once, and that was after an Oshkosh rainstorm.

We’ve been burning E10 in our cars and lawn stuff for decades too. Exactly zero issues with water or any of the other horror stories.

Some types of rubber, yes. Other types are perfectly fine with ethanol. If your fuel system is designed for E10 (ours is) then it’s not a concern.

If the ethanol picks up a little water in it, and your aircraft sits for 6 months, like some lawnmowers, depending on materials carb is made of, it will corrode the inside of it.

And yet, Swift is available at over 30 airports. How is it that they're able to overcome that disincentive?

First of all, Swift is selling their own fuel, not licensing someone else's formula.

Second, 30 airports is hardly a success considering the years UL94 has been available. That's a pretty good warning to GAMI and other small businesses.

Third, for a small company like GAMI to try to enter the fuel production business, already dominated by producers like Phillips and Chevron, is roughly akin to a guy with a "Mr. Beer" kit in his kitchen trying to go up against Anheuser-Busch.

If the ethanol picks up a little water in it, and your aircraft sits for 6 months, like some lawnmowers, depending on materials carb is made of, it will corrode the inside of it.
Yes. Letting your mower, airplane, or anything else sit for six months with old gas in it is probably not a good idea. If you don't do that, your chances of a good outcome are greater.

Like I said -- I've heard and read some "Ethanol ruined all my stuff" stories. I'm not saying they aren't true; I'm sure some have had bad experiences. Why? Maybe older carbs and fuel systems that were not designed for E10 use. If you've got gaskets, seals, fuel lines, floats, etc. that aren't ethanol tolerant it's probably going to cause problems. There are probably some kinds of sludge and crap that can be in a gas tank that aren't gasoline soluble but are soluble in alcohol. I dunno. All I know is that we've used it extensively since the 1990s and haven't had anything seize up, blow up, or fail to start, run, or work because of it.

The fact that their fuel is only available in a few dozen airports in the U.S. after eight years suggests that they haven't overcome whatever disincentives have existed during that time.

Speaking of making assumptions...

The biggest issue is having two AVGAS tanks/pump/etc. And this is not the 60s where you just popped in a tank and pump.

Yeah, a lot of people are predicting very high prices for G100UL, when GAMI has stated that it will be less than $1 a gallon more than 100LL to produce. And since 100LL is selling from $4,85 to over $10 a gallon, it will be hard to see 75 cents a gallon.

Yes. Letting your mower, airplane, or anything else sit for six months with old gas in it is probably not a good idea. If you don't do that, your chances of a good outcome are greater.

Like I said -- I've heard and read some "Ethanol ruined all my stuff" stories. I'm not saying they aren't true; I'm sure some have had bad experiences. Why? Maybe older carbs and fuel systems that were not designed for E10 use. If you've got gaskets, seals, fuel lines, floats, etc. that aren't ethanol tolerant it's probably going to cause problems. There are probably some kinds of sludge and crap that can be in a gas tank that aren't gasoline soluble but are soluble in alcohol. I dunno. All I know is that we've used it extensively since the 1990s and haven't had anything seize up, blow up, or fail to start, run, or work because of it.
Does Sta-Bil help with the ethanol problems?

Ethanol problems mostly relate to its enormous affinity for water, whether the water is in a vapor, liquid, or solid (ice) form.

Letting your mower, airplane, or anything else sit for six months with old gas in it is probably not a good idea. If you don't do that, your chances of a good outcome are greater.
In my extensive experience with cleaning motorcycle carbs due to modern auto fuel (I own 9 operable motorcycles) I've found that it takes between 1 and 2 months before you are likely to have problems with clogged pilot jets. Something to bear in mind with those Rotax engines having Bing motorcycle carbs.

My aircraft has a one-time FAA field approval to run on non-alcohol auto fuel, the only one of its type having that approval. A long-term previous owner was the engineering director of emissions certification for an auto manufacturer and that apparently helped get in done, way back when. I can't source non-alcohol auto fuel in my area but I wouldn't run auto fuel in it even if I could, mainly due to storage issues and also the smell.

I might be making stuff up, cuz I never ran ethanol in aviation, but “normal” fuel tanks need to vent as the go juice is consumed. That fuel would be replaced by that water saturated cloud (humid air) that I’m flying through. Eventually the ethanol will absorb that moisture. Even moreso while being sloshed around and increasing its surface area.

I store my backpack blower and chainsaw with my sumped fuel collection container.

I wouldn't run auto fuel in it even if I could, mainly due to storage issues and also the smell.
We don’t run AVGAS because it reduces the oil change interval my 75%, and dramatically shortens the life of the gearbox (or so we’re told). We do have 91 octane ethanol-free, which is what we use in the plane for the most part. It gets an occasional tank of 100LL or even E10. It all burns.

Been running straight pump gas (presumably E-10) for 13 years in my Rotax / Bing equipped ride.

As per my post above, I would drain the carbs if it sits for more than a month. Easy enough to do with only a clip retaining the Bing float bowl.

After your let's say tenth time spending the better part of a day cleaning pilot jets and reassembling something more complicated than a set of Bings hanging on a 912, you get the message. Unless I have a specific plan to ride the thing soon, I now drain the float bowls on all my autogas powered carburated engines after every ride.

Does Sta-Bil help with the ethanol problems?

Local small engine places recommend Star Tron by Star Bright. Originally developed for marine engines, it really reduces issues with ethanal in gas. And it also acts as a fuel stabilizer for longer storage,

It may be a fuel stabilizer but the water affinity of E10 is likely what's critical. A stabilizer won't change that very much.

If you are talking about Star Tron, its primary purpose is dealing with the ethanol. Stabilization is an added benefit.

If you are talking about StaBil, yes it is only a stablizer.

If you just want to get ethanol out. Add water to it. Mix it some and let it sit, then drain off water/ethanol mix sitting on bottom.

If you just want to get ethanol out. Add water to it. Mix it some and let it sit, then drain off water/ethanol mix sitting on bottom.
Yeah, fill up your 50 gallon tanks doing it this way 1 gallon at a time. lol

If you can live with the reduced octane rating.

If you can live with the reduced octane rating.
Exactly! It’s not like 10% ethanol is just a cheaper filler. It can be added to a lower octane naphtha cut, one that may be less reformed and thus less costly, to bring octane rating back up where it needs to be for sale as a road motor fuel. Pull ethanol out and you have a lower octane rating fuel that’s potentially catastrophically damaging to the bottom end of the engine…but your fuel system will be happy, lol. That’s the simple explanation.

TIL that Sta-Bil doesn't help with ethanol's hydrophilic habits.

Yeah, fill up your 50 gallon tanks doing it this way 1 gallon at a time. lol

Or use it in your motorcycles, chain saws, lawn mowers, and everything else you like.

I wouldn’t run it in a race car, or a high performance airplane engine, but it works great and is easy to do.

You'll get most of the ethanol out, along with a significant amount of toluene and xylenes also used to increase the octane. Water alone can hold about half a gram of toluene at room temperature, but the ethanol that goes into the water will also carry a significant amount of those aromatic compounds too.

Or use it in your motorcycles, chain saws, lawn mowers, and everything else you like.

I wouldn’t run it in a race car, or a high performance airplane engine, but it works great and is easy to do.
I just buy the E0 now at any of the 4 closest stations for all that stuff. Even easier! :)

So if you do your water mix-and-shake-drain and toss to remove the ethanol, what's the resulting octane depending on how much (%) water is used? And what happens then when you reduce the remaining water-gasoline temperature? I presume more water further precipitates out.:oops:

I wouldn't put it in anything beyond a lawn mower. Certainly not in my MN snow blower.

I wouldn't put it in anything beyond a lawn mower. Certainly not in my MN snow blower.
I run avgas in my snow blower. I like not having to worry about whether it will start due to bad gas.

I need to make a trip to the nearest airport selling 94UL for my small engines (generator, snow blower, etc).

While that may all be true, G100UL is an STCd fuel. In other words, not everyone can legally use it right now even if it was available nationwide.

That's true for the PAFI fuels as well... the FAA has delivered a different version of this message at nearly every EAGLE meeting, but the last I heard, even if the PAFI fuels receive "fleet wide approval" that means there will be an "approval document" (cough, STC) that you can give to your IA, and then s/he can prepare a 337 for the major alteration of using a different fuel in your aircraft than the type certificate allows.

How this is better? Well, maybe, you don't have to pay for the fleet wide approval document... or of course, the FAA could choose to spend their $10 million/year budget for developing a new fuel to buy us all GAMI STCs. GAMI has proposed an instant implementation process that wouldn't involve an IA (how does the IA add value to a fuel approved for every single airplane?) The FAA is pondering GAMI's bold proposal for online 337 filing...

Remember when Phillips 20W50 multiweight aviation oil was introduced (around 1978 was it?) that it too was STC'd, and required a 337 to install at oil change. Care to guess how many of *those* documents were completed and filed? Even for free, I'm guessing not many... :)

Even at the Swift 94UL self-serve pump at Santa Monica, People's Republic of, the "STC police" at the pump went away after a few weeks... I don't see aircraft fuelers demanding to see your papers either to determine the legality of the fuel you wish to purchase.

Paul

Last edited:
Remember when Phillips 20W50 multiweight aviation oil was introduced (around 1978 was it?) that it too was STC'd, and required a 337 to install at oil change.
So that's way before my time. Is the current Philips XC 20W50 the same? If so, what happened to the STC requirement?

So that's way before my time. Is the current Philips XC 20W50 the same? If so, what happened to the STC requirement?

I didn’t think the XC required it but XC II and the AmsOil oil definitely required an STC because they didn’t meet the SAE J1899 requirements. Regardless, I have never seen an aircraft record containing any STC information for engine oils.

If so, what happened to the STC requirement?
In general, the consensous standard was tweaked and the engine TC holders approved the oil so no other approval needed. When the original 20W50 was released Lycoming and TCM had other problems and didnt approve the oil at that time. So an STC was the only route. In reality, its the engine TC holders that have control over the oil and fuels that go into their engines.

So, if you want the STC to go away for the current offerings of UL fuels, provided they meet the proper consensous standard(s), convince Lycoming and TCM to spend the big bucks to include them in the approved fuel listing. Its been done before with a 96UL in the EU about 20 years ago. It meets D910 and is listed as an approved fuel by Lyc and I believe TCM. No STC required to use it. The company also had a 100UL but had issues with D910 compliance. Maybe its the same problem with these current ones??

the engine TC holders that have control over the oil and fuels that go into their engines
The OEMs certainly have a big knob to turn... but as we've seen, the STC route (or other approvals, given the FAA's latest vagueness) offer an alternative.

convince Lycoming and TCM to spend the big bucks to include them in the approved fuel listing. Its been done before with a 96UL in the EU about 20 years ago. It meets D910 and is listed as an approved fuel by Lyc and I believe TCM. No STC required to use it. The company also had a 100UL but had issues with D910 compliance. Maybe its the same problem with these current ones??s
More recently, Swift's 94UL has been added by Cessna, Lycoming, and Continental to their service information on acceptable fuels. And at least Textron is slowly modifying their type certificates to indicate the originally approved fuel or other fuel as provided in their service literature... making TCDS revisions unnecessary.
The company also had a 100UL but had issues with D910 compliance. Maybe its the same problem with these current ones??
The current crop of unleadeds aren't close to falling within D910, and ASTM has said there will be no attempt to include them... they'll have their own specs. Even Swift's 94UL has its own ASTM spec IIRC. D910 has no provisions for ETBE, MMT, methanol, heavy aromatics, aromatic amines, or any of the other special things that the four still-at-work developers are bringing forward. The ASTM committee members forsee problems trying to backward integrate those provisions with the existing 100LL approvals. It does raise the question of fungibility of the new unleaded 100s with each other, and the FAA hasn't proposed a solution for that yet. I guess it might make sense to see if more than one fuel emerges... but that's kind of playing brinksmanship with an important property we've assumed forever.

Paul

Third, for a small company like GAMI to try to enter the fuel production business, already dominated by producers like Phillips and Chevron, is roughly akin to a guy with a "Mr. Beer" kit in his kitchen trying to go up against Anheuser-Busch.
Well, if he's making light beer with that Mr. Beer kit he might have a chance.

Back