Gaston's V in 2008

It's clear to the east if you call climbing over a 900 foot ridge a mile downrange or flying down the river "clear." :D No problemo for most of us.
The ridge isn't 900' AGL relative to the ruwnay, it is less than 350' AGL. Furthermore, one need not top the immediate ridge nor the power lines between the runway and the river when exiting Gaston's--the lowest climb gradient is found by flying the valley upslope to Mountain Home airport. Taking that route the aircraft must accomplish 450' of elevation gain in 7.6 nm--hardly a difficult task for a Warrior even on the hottest of days at Gaston's--you need less than 100 fpm climb.

Last edited:
OK - so we're going to try again this year. I just booked a cottage for Thur - Sun.

Is there a website up yet for 2008?

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

OK - so we're going to try again this year. I just booked a cottage for Thur - Sun.

Is there a website up yet for 2008?

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Jesse has been toiling endlessly on the new website. it should kick ass when he gets it done. see you in June

Just realized that I hadn't made reservations yet! I called and booked Cottage #66 again, for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. :goofy:

Just realized that I hadn't made reservations yet! I called and booked Cottage #66 again, for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. :goofy:
Had you not made it to Gaston's you would have fulfilled the definition of "Thelma'd".

My previous job we had a co-worker who was famous for instigating a mass outing, usually involving some horrible departure time (i.e. 5:30 AM Saturday morning). Day and time of departure would arrive and we'd inevitably find that all of us were there except one person--Thelma, the instigator/organizer of the event.

Eventually we learend to summarize such occurances: "We've been Thelma'd again."

Had you not made it to Gaston's you would have fulfilled the definition of "Thelma'd".
Day and time of departure would arrive and we'd inevitably find that all of us were there except one person--Thelma, the instigator/organizer of the event.

Eventually we learned to summarize such occurrences: "We've been Thelma'd again."
That's funny. :D Poor Thelma. I hope she didn't miss anything good!

Well, Mary said yes we should attend!!! We have been talking about this trip for months, actually since last years fly-in and all the great follow up posts.

It looks like we will reserve a room this week, I'm just waiting on a nod of approval from the aircraft owner. I've had 679er on two previous 4 and 5 day excursions but only 3-4 hours away from home. I just want to make sure he is ok with everything. It shouldn't be a problem.

Any pointers for a room to reserve? It's just Mary and I (although she did see pets allowed) I don't want to have our Italian Mastiff's first flight 7 plus hours. I'm thinking no monster dog to tag along and limit our activities, besides she will sleep all week at the pet hotel (what a life).

Room selection:
The rooms with a fireplace seem nice but not in June, we don't want a kitchen, we're on vacation so maybe just a room with a sitting area. I'll go through the online tour and let the Bride decide, she likes that stuff.

Woo Hoo.....finally going to see what this gaston's fly-in is all about!

Attachments

• gastons08.jpg
    gastons08.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0842.jpg
    100_0842.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Just booked Cabin 28, Saturday day to Sunday.
That's great Bruce! I hope to get to fly with Sue this time. And maybe you will fly with me in the Citabria? The thought of the permutations of people and airplanes is exciting.

That's great Bruce! I hope to get to fly with Sue this time. And maybe you will fly with me in the Citabria? The thought of the permutations of people and airplanes is exciting.

Yes, Diana, and you're flying with ME!

Wow, Sharon at Gaston’s said they were filling up fast. Mary and I booked cabin/room #11.

Now if we still have a plane to fly. The club aircraft owner said someone made him an offer and he will decide after the annual in November. :(

The good news is Mary agreed, we should buy buy our own and who am I to argue with such a brilliant woman! :yes:

Printing out the first time buyer’s info from AOPA web pages and searching prior threads for info.

Wow, Sharon at Gaston’s said they were filling up fast...

Yes, indeed, I believe that that elusive critter, "critical mass," has been achieved. :yes:

Yes, indeed, I believe that that elusive critter, "critical mass," has been achieved. :yes:

Indeed. I just called and reserved for Friday and Saturday 6/6 and 6/7, and they are out of almost everything. I booked #77, the Ultra Deluxe at the end.

Linda said to give this update as of today, 11/6, for the June 6th-8th time period:

She has:
  • NO more Standard, Deluxe, or Std. Deluxe available.
  • ONE standalone bedroom accomodation (no kitchen/fireplace, has two double beds, bath, beverage fridge).
  • TWO duplexes (like the standalone bedroom but joined by a door), for a total of FOUR bedrooms.
  • FIVE ultra-deluxe with no deck.
  • SIX ultra-deluxe with deck.

That said, if you're coming to the fly-in and have trouble finding a cabin, Teresa and I have an extra bedroom with two double beds if anybody is interested on Friday June 6th and Saturday June 7th for about $100 per night (splitting costs).

Linda said #77 is usually the FIRST one that rents out, as it's quiet (though far) and near the "trail"/"walkway" (I know not what the trail is... along the river?).

Naw, but with No. 77, you are going to get more exercise than I am, walking back and forth from your cabin to the flightline!

yea 77 is like 10 miles down the river or something ;)

how long before this is like oshkosh where you have to book a hotel room 2 years in advance?

Naw, but with No. 77, you are going to get more exercise than I am, walking back and forth from your cabin to the flightline!

Linda said something about the van giving us a ride... that should have clued me in! ;-)

yea 77 is like 10 miles down the river or something ;)

how long before this is like oshkosh where you have to book a hotel room 2 years in advance?

Maybe we should pick the 2009 dates while at the fly-in, and make our reservations before we leave!? Linda said that some of our folks did that last year before they departed.... (hmmmm)

Maybe we should pick the 2009 dates while at the fly-in, and make our reservations before we leave!? Linda said that some of our folks did that last year before they departed.... (hmmmm)

Yeah. That was BEFORE the dates were finalized. As I recall, we didn't OFFICIALLY decide until about a week after the event. :D

Hmmm, looks like I'll be seeing if anyone doesn't mind me using a room, and having a dog along. Or waiting for a cancellation like happens every year.

Fun fact: Page 64 of the Garmin 430 Manual - has Gaston's as an example for Direct To on the GPS.

That said, if you're coming to the fly-in and have trouble finding a cabin, Teresa and I have an extra bedroom with two double beds if anybody is interested on Friday June 6th and Saturday June 7the for about $100 per night (splitting costs).

The room is spoken for. Convinced a pilot friend of mine, and his wife, to join us. (I didn't have to bend his arm too hard). Say hi to Terry, he owns a nice Cherokee 235 and lives at an airpark south of Dallas.
He and his wife Kim will be coming to Gastons for the first time.

Hmmm, looks like I'll be seeing if anyone doesn't mind me using a room, and having a dog along. Or waiting for a cancellation like happens every year.

Fun fact: Page 64 of the Garmin 430 Manual - has Gaston's as an example for Direct To on the GPS.
I have one of those "Ultra Deluxe" (yea, right) cabins to myself. You're welcome to the other room...

-Felix

I have one of those "Ultra Deluxe" (yea, right) cabins to myself. You're welcome to the other room...

-Felix

I think you'll be surprised- the place is pretty darned nice, certainly better than you might envision when you read, "Fishing Resort."

And us Bo Folks have to represent for the clan!

I think you'll be surprised- the place is pretty darned nice, certainly better than you might envision when you read, "Fishing Resort."

My room last year hadn't been really cleaned in years. Carpet was nasty, cable for the TV was stapled to the cheap-o fake wood paneling, window curtains were filthy beyond belief. I won't be staying there this year. I'd rather sleep in my airplane. At least I know it's clean.

Man, mine have been nicer than that. YMMV, obviously.

ive never had any complaints, hardly spent any time in the room anyway

I have a Deluxe 2 bedroom cottage for Fri & Sat nights and want the second room to go to good use. Lance Fisher has first dibs, but he's made unwelcome noises that he might not be coming:(. If this is the case, the room with 2 single beds is available. Lance????

Last edited:

Yeah, I had the same one this year, too. It's not bad, I certainly didn't have the same issues that Chip had with his room.

I think we'll have enough V-Tail Bonanzas next year to have our own parking area! :yes:

-Felix

My room last year hadn't been really cleaned in years. Carpet was nasty, cable for the TV was stapled to the cheap-o fake wood paneling, window curtains were filthy beyond belief. I won't be staying there this year. I'd rather sleep in my airplane. At least I know it's clean.
I agree that the cabins are a little tired. I try to think of it as a "decent fish camp" rather than a "deluxe resort", and then it meets my expectations.

Back