Gaston's V in 2008

I hope to fly 9054N back to Gastons one more time. I was talking to some people from Lakeview,Ark. and they said they sure would like to take a plane ride, and I would love to give them one. Giving rides at Gastons would be a lot of fun and if the creek doesn't rise---- I'll be there. :yes:

I enjoyed giving rides in the DA-20. I think I did about eight and could probably do double that without getting sick of it. Hopefully I'll have more money next year for such things.

I'd give more rides in the IAR, but I try to limit them to early in the morning and later in the afternoon evening due to the greenhouse effect of the plexiglas canopy and the minimal firewall insulation...can get a little toasty in there down low.

Seneca II's also a tad pricey to be running it all the time. Last year I got Kent. This year Tony....

Next year maybe I'll go down on Thursday so I'll be able to give more rides. And hopefully the Citabria won't break again.

Received my reservation confirmation earlier this week! We're scheduled to fly in on Friday and leave on Sunday.

Absolutely, positively, for sure, most probably , definately maybe, probably, maybe.
Ok I'll book a room this weekend.

i cant wait. ihave no idea how im getting there in June but I think Ill try to show up on Thursday.

yes scott. 3000 feet at least, with a clear departure to the east. your warrior will be fine.

yep you will be golden at gastons. as long as you can turn to miss the ridge. see you in June!!!

yes scott. 3000 feet at least, with a clear departure to the east. your warrior will be fine.

It's clear to the east if you call climbing over a 900 foot ridge a mile downrange or flying down the river "clear." :D No problemo for most of us.

wlel what i mean is, mike, that when you take off there arent trees standing right after the runway ends. at gastons while it may look intimidating its pretty easy to climb above the obstacles downrange of the runway

I am going to look into it for next year. Is the runway longer than 6Y9?

I think they say the runway is 3200 feet. We did it two years ago in a 150 hp Warrior with 1/2 tanks and a light load, although I must admit we left early in the day as temps were climbing fast. :(

Now you know why I put a 180 hp engine in the Warrior. :cheerswine:

To reduce your useful load?

I'll let you do the math, never was very good at it. Warrior has gross weight of 2325, I gained 30 or so pounds in the conversion. Archer has gross weight of 2550 I believe it is. Nope don't have an Archer just an Arch Warrior. :blueplane:

Last edited:
yes but did the engine STC include a gross weight increase?

It is on my calendar but I cannot book anything until I see my meeting schedules later this year. When is it too late to get a reservation? I could always reserve now I guess and then cancel as long as there is not a cancellation fee.

i htink there is a cancellation fee scott. i usually dont worry about a room, there are always spare beds and people willing to share.

i htink there is a cancellation fee scott. i usually dont worry about a room, there are always spare beds and people willing to share.

yikes that doesnt sound right. people are usually willing to share any EMPTY beds.

Finally made my reservation today....in Thur, out Sun. My Cottage 6 was already booked.....how dare they give that one away. ;) So now I have to walk a little further down to #3.

June sure is a long time to wait.....

no kidding... im hoping to get down there on thursday as well. not sure what im flying or who im coming or staying with. but ill be there!

Finally made my reservation today....in Thur, out Sun. My Cottage 6 was already booked.....how dare they give that one away. ;) So now I have to walk a little further down to #3.

Could be mine gulppppppppppppp :redface:

It is on my calendar but I cannot book anything until I see my meeting schedules later this year. When is it too late to get a reservation? I could always reserve now I guess and then cancel as long as there is not a cancellation fee.

You have to cancel a month in advance. As long as you know which days will be be VFR a month in advance - no worries.

Since I got burned by that this year I haven't made reservation yet, and might not.

The Days Inn in Mountain Home is very nice.

how did you get burned by that Mike? you were there for all the days you reserved, no?

From the www.gastons.com website:

Cancellation policy is that if you cancel your reservation 15 days or more prior to your arrival, we only take $50.00 per room and $50.00 per guide. If you give us 14 days or less notice, the full deposit will be taken. We take the first nights stay as a deposit on cottages and we take an additional $100.00 per guide. Parties of 20 people or more require a 30 day notice instead of 15 days.

It's really poor form to mis-represent the facts. Unless you're booking for 20 people you have until 15 days prior to cancel with only a $50 cancellation fee. And Gaston's has no problem substituting occupants if you transfer your reservation at the last minute to someone else for the same dates. Gaston's operates at or near full capacity between Memorial Day and Labor Day. They're not out to burn anyone. They try to be fair to everyone who shows up to stay at their facilty.

You have to cancel a month in advance. As long as you know which days will be be VFR a month in advance - no worries.

Since I got burned by that this year I haven't made reservation yet, and might not.

The Days Inn in Mountain Home is very nice.

It's really poor form to mis-represent the facts. Unless you're booking for 20 people you have until 15 days prior to cancel with only a $50 cancellation fee. And Gaston's has no problem substituting occupants if you transfer your reservation at the last minute to someone else for the same dates. Gaston's operates at or near full capacity between Memorial Day and Labor Day. They're not out to burn anyone. They try to be fair to everyone who shows up to stay at their facilty.

Exactly. Gastons does not want the risk of renting out a bunch of cottages to a bunch of pilots that may or may not show up if there is a cloud in the sky. If I were them--I wouldn't either.

I think their policy is fair and their resort accommodates our needs nicely. If you decide to stay somewhere else you will miss half the fun of gastons/

Well, I made my reservations, and it sounds as if they are booking up way early this year- cabin choices at the level I have been booking were more limited.

I went ahead and booked Thursday to Sunday-- and I am half-tempted to stretch it out to Monday!

Back