Gastons Go/No-Go Thread

Can we have a Saturday afternoon BBQ?
Are you talking about lunch or supper? If a lot of people decide not to eat dinner in the restaurant, I need to let Gaston's know. We have the entire east room booked from 7:30 on.

For the record; I am a go I decided to brave some of the winds today after work and flew to my parent's house in Peoria. Thought I would let the fronnt pass and leave for Gaston's tomorow. Best Wishes to all!

Scott

Are you talking about lunch or supper? If a lot of people decide not to eat dinner in the restaurant, I need to let Gaston's know. We have the entire east room booked from 7:30 on.

I was thinking lunch. It's looking like I will be there for the Friday night BBQ. In any case I have lots of sausage so it can any and either day.

We are officially a NO GO for Gaston's yet again this year. :( The stormy weather that was my last hope for work-stopping rain missed us by about 45 miles to the east. Perfectly sunny (and windy) here all day today. Not a drop of rain all day. Hopefully we'll be working like mad all weekend so I don't have time to think about what I'm missing down at 3M0.

Ya'll have fun! I'm starting to countdown till next year when I won't have such a crappy seasonal job!

St.Louis weather is for cloudy this morning with clearing by Noon. Shows the clearing line to be at Gaston's by around 3PM. So it should be clear, blue and 22 for the ones coming from the North and West. The ones coming from the east my need to fly a little north and then down.

im a go. the 140 arrived this morning. as soon as matt is done with his meetings then we are headed out. Ill call someone down there, probably Steve See (Gastons Approach) when we leave.

St.Louis weather is for cloudy this morning with clearing by Noon. Shows the clearing line to be at Gaston's by around 3PM. So it should be clear, blue and 22 for the ones coming from the North and West. The ones coming from the east my need to fly a little north and then down.

I haven't checked yet but we have damn near CAVU with 17MPH west winds. I'm hoping I can launch earlier than noon.

Last edited:
We're laying low waiting for the line to come through Nashville. According to METAR's we should be good to launch around 13:00 local.

We're laying low waiting for the line to come through Nashville. According to the outlook we should be good to launch around 13:00 local.

Just talked to Chip, looks like we're go around 10:30 or so. Long, arduous flight from here to Gastons. 45 minutes or so.

I'd love to get an updated sogginess report of the field though....anyone?

Skies are clearing here in Bentonville (80 NM west of Gaston's). We were planning on a 9:00 departure, but the weather this morning made an 11:00 departure look better. Good excuse for me to catch a little more sleep and I'm sure our Pacific time zone friends were even happier.

I hope we'll all be there by noon at the latest. Then (and only then) the party can begin!!!!

skyhog said:
Me too.

ps... I have the shirts and they look pretty good.

Last edited:
Just talked to Chip, looks like we're go around 10:30 or so. Long, arduous flight from here to Gastons. 45 minutes or so.

I walked it at 7:00 this morning, you should be fine. I didn't see any large puddles, but you might want to be careful by the dip at the east end. I'll walk it again shortly.

James Dean

I walked it at 7:00 this morning, you should be fine. I didn't see any large puddles, but you might want to be careful by the dip at the east end. I'll walk it again shortly.

James Dean

Thank you James.

Plan to launch from Atlanta area noonish. The line we have to pass through does not look nice. No gaps to speak of so far. May have to land to let it pass over. We'll see.

We're laying low waiting for the line to come through Nashville. According to METAR's we should be good to launch around 13:00 local.​

Brent, Brook, and I made it to Jackson (MKL), but we won't be able to penetrate that cold front, so we're off to get food and wait it out.

We spent the night in Madison, Indiana at Lee Bottom Flying Field. What's coming this way is not good at all. :hairraise: Weather is expected here in about two hours. We will stay put until the bulk of the northeast tip of the system pass over us. We'll then try to launch going northwest for awhile and finally cut southwest. Hopefully we'll make it to Gastons with some daylight left. If not we'll land at Flippin or Mountain Home and call Gastons for a ride. See you later!

Any pireps will be greatly appreciated. :yes:

Gil and Sue

Last edited:
We spent the night in Madison, Indiana at Lee Bottom Flying Field. What's coming this way is not good at all. :hairraise: Weather is expected here in about two hours. We will stay put until the bulk of the northeast tip of the system pass over us. We'll then try to launch going northwest for awhile and finally cut southwest. Hopefully we'll make it to Gastons with some daylight left. If not we'll land at Flippin or Mountain Home and call Gastons for a ride. Se you later!
Gil, how did you like the place? Great, isn't it! Did you stay in the cute little cabin?

Hope to see you today!:yes:

Gil, how did you like the place? Great, isn't it! Did you stay in the cute little cabin?

Hope to see you today!:yes:

Diana, PM me your cell #, so I can call, Brent, Brook, and I are at MKL looking at the cold front.

Attachments

• Cabin.JPG
    Cabin.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 29
Re: Gaston's Go/No-Go Thread

I'm monitoring the board until I start hearing arrivals on unicom today, Mike. I know you'll make a good decision about coming. Don't worry about us at this end:no:

Still 300' ceiling in Tallahassee with several ceilings below 3000' en route. Several small radar "dots" starting to appear in Alabama and Georgia which will become "scattered thunderstorms" later in the day. Still at home trying to "guess" what the weather is going to do. I know if I come, I will have to land somewhere and let the line of thunderstorms, that went over Gaston's about an hour and half ago, pass by. Someone, please tell Steve See what my present situation is. Thanks. - Mike

Wind direction starting to turn for the better. Hoping the gusts lighten up enough so the margaritas can make it out safely about 1300 local; 25 kt direct x-wind on takeoff is not enticing. Should be around 3, 3.5 hrs once we're up. Grant's back catching some extra sleep, I'm off to pack.

eh itll just be "pre mixed" margaritas then leslie.

whats up w/your runway out there. seems its always diretly crosswind.

I walked the field at 8:30 or so and mashed down a few mole hills. One wet spot near the parking area. Same area as before, but they have filled it in some. The rain started at 6:10am and the heaviest ended around 6:40. There is no standing water and the grass is in good shape, no ruts to contend with, about as firm as it was when EdFred shot the Braille1 approach last night.

whats up w/your runway out there. seems its always diretly crosswind.

N-S runway, the west winds are a kicker. The airport used to have a small e-w runway too, but it was closed many years ago. Bummer we're not based at the airport about 5 miles away (where, by the way, our weather reporting comes from); two nice runways, e-w and n-s. Lucky dogs; I'd have been out o' here...

Guess i'm the more consevative pilot of the two of us; I get somewhat cautious on the crosswind takeoffs when I see the ratio of liquid baggage to clothing going up :)

Well, FWIW, I will be outta Hiawatha about 1 or 2. It will be a 2 hour flight. Steve, if your cell is same as last year, I will call before I leave.

Why aren't you guys on chat?

I hate the thought of missing margaritas, but we're going to delay our departure. I see no way through that line at this point other than flying to Texas first. Would rather wait at home. Dang.

If anyone has to cancel their room for tonight, I know someone who needs a room. My friends Bill Lynch and Teresa just landed in his TriPacer at Gaston's and hope to spend the night.

We'll be leaving the farm in about an hour.

OK, It is noon. We are walking out the door. Should arive at Gaston's about 4 PM or so. Don't panic if we are late. (c:

Brent, Brook, and I made it to Jackson (MKL), but we won't be able to penetrate that cold front, so we're off to get food and wait it out.

Still on the ground at MKL while the storm rages outside. We did grab the crew car and ate an entirely too glutonous breakfast at Perkins.

Maybe another hour or two...

Last edited:
Still on the ground at MKL while the storm rages outside. We did grab the crew car and eat an entirely too glutonous breakfast at Perkins.

Maybe another hour or two...
Just got your message, my phone was out in the hangar. :redface:

Just got your message, my phone was out in the hangar. :redface:

Brent and Brook are both fast asleep in the comfy chairs in the pilots lounge, heads tilted to the side, gentle snoring....hahaha!

12:20 local...the rain, and I mean heavy rain, just began. It looks like this line should be through here in a little over an hour. Still hopeful for a 2:00 launch. :fcross:

We should be wheels up around 1:30, hopefully. Stopping at H21 to take some pictures of a pair of Ercoupes that Kate's FBO is buying, then to Gaston's. ETA 6:30 PM.

Back