GASTON'S = CERTAIN DEATH!!!!!!

Let's see.

Didn't really make that much of an effort to use all the runway.

Rolling take off

Admittedly used Vy instead of Vx

Retracted the gear before obstacles were cleared which adds drag during the cycle.

Reduced power even though he was concerned about obstacle clearance.

Posted all this on the Internet.

Lots of bad decisions.

Last edited:
I saw him waaaaay left of the usual center, and he was pretty slow getting a wheelie going and then into ground effect.

and even with slight tail wind, the better departure direction is that slight left thought the gap In the hills toward mountain home. Avoids power lines.

Monitoring the comments is going to be interesting. I hope his flame proof undies are on.

Also pulled up the gear early. That's not standard procedure in Cessna singles until you are clear of all obstacles, as the retraction procedure actually increases drag until everything is stowed.

Just watched his commentary video. Another bad decision: backwards ball cap with sunglasses on his head. :)

How does he have 2800 subscribers?

"this is why I am glad we left now instead of after we ate because those power lines are going to get hard to see. Those trees are going to get hard to see, that tail wind is not going to go away"

"this is why I am glad we left now instead of after we ate because those power lines are going to get hard to see. Those trees are going to get hard to see, that tail wind is not going to go away"

Thank god. Can you imagine if they had an additional 4-6 pounds of food on board the plane as well!? Death for sure.

Listen guys... I think you're being too rough on the poor guy. Gaston's is only 3,000 feet long. The strip is obviously poorly maintained, as you can tell from the closely kept grass and lack of bouncing. And it is literally FIVE HUNDRED whole feet MSL. I mean... short, poor quality, high altitude runway. You can see why he'd be so terrified.

"I told you not to order dessert, now we are going to die!"

Last edited:
Can someone PLEASE comment on his youtube video to get him over here?

He's using the right technique but isn't practiced at it. To impress the girls it's not enough to just hype up the danger it has to look and feel dangerous... a zoom climb or at least a couple of steep turns and a story about evading hill people who like to shoot down airplanes would have been a better choice.

That was some pretty amazing soft-field technique. Have to agree with his assessment, though: Flying with him just might be life-threatening.

Looking forward to his next video when he tells us the dangers of flying a kite through a thermal.

I think this thread has the potential to be the best troll ever.

That guy needs to get a real Cessna.

This is how you depart at Gastons.

Off before the windsock. Sheesh.

(David White had been doing it all day in his STOL 172 so I had to go show him the 182 could also do it. Haha. I didn't tell him that I had half tanks and threw everything out of the airplane into the grass next to my parking spot except my headset and me. Grin... And David shot the video.)

This guy would actually crap himself riding with me in the Chieftain while landing and taking off in Skagway.

The girls didn't really looked to impressed.....

All I can say is they guy shouldn't follow Bob B into any airstrip...

I fail to see how that could have gotten him laid. What a pansy.

Watch the turbulence video when they were on the way. Scared them sufficiently that he probably got some later.

Last edited:
Back