GASTON'S = CERTAIN DEATH!!!!!!

Could the proximity of the trees on the left have affected lift performance?
upload_2016-9-7_10-11-18.jpeg
How would trees affect any of those?
Lift = Coeff of lift * 0.5 * air density * Velocity Squared * Wing surface area.

So I assume in light of this information, gastons is cancelled this year. I can't subject my family to the horror of witnessing all of that carnage.

Dang, I was really looking forward to Gaston's this year. I may have to "adjust" my ADM to accommodate this DANGEROUS attitude and still go.

Yes, some 177RGs have odd CG and need ballast. Others don't. I never needed more than 50 lb ballast, and that was with two large adults in front and an empty back seat.

His book performance was off because he flew too damn fast. Of course, skipping weight and balance on one of these is not competent for a supposed commercial pilot.

Climb performance can be affected by winds, especially descending air. That sometimes happens around terrain, but it's part of the preflight analysis to look at that.

I agree he was a little melodramatic! The only thing he said that I can verify was true is that the power lines have killed somebody (landing though, rather than taking off). Several years ago, back before the balls were put on them. I think that is what prompted the balls. Be careful out there! :)

I assume those power line towers are only a few hundred feet at most looking at the topo the tops of the hills in the area are 500-800. My guess is he cleared them by a couple hundred feet.

Actually, the power lines are on top of the bluff on the east side. They are higher than the terrain.

Seems easy enough to come up with a Cardinal for a 6PC production. (But mine doesn't have the "Speed Brake" option. Just a nose gear door)
I'd do it, but I don't think I should use my company bird for it. ;)

This guy would actually crap himself riding with me in the Chieftain while landing and taking off in Skagway.

The girls didn't really looked to impressed.....

Skagway isn't that bad until you take off on rwy 02 in a heavy 207. He'd have a heart attack going in to Excursion Inlet.

I think the combined IQ of the "flight crew" was no more than the Rotate speed of that airplane.
That chick reminds me of someone I have seen somewhere...........oh yeah, this!

Confused. How does one fly too fast on takeoff? Maybe I misunderstand.
Too fast to climb. 90 knots will give you a **** poor climb rate in that airplane. If you're trying to dodge terrain or obstructions, Vx is appropriate, and Vy is a practical upper limit. 90 knots is OK for a cruise-climb if you're at a decent altitude.

The only inherently dangerous part I saw (besides allowing that tool shed to be PIC) was having that cackling annoying distraction in the right seat...

What a moron.
I agree, he is lucky to be alive. I wonder why nobody socked him yet.

I love drama queens who try to drum up ratings and monetize their videos with fake s**t. </sarcasm>

Wouldn't it be great if we could:
a) either report dumba** videos for removal from YT
b) or see the thumbs up/down numbers on the thumbnails to avoid clicking on dumba** retard videos like these?

Wouldn't it be great if we could:
a) either report dumba** videos for removal from YT
b) or see the thumbs up/down numbers on the thumbnails to avoid clicking on dumba** retard videos like these?

/swiftly removes all my content from YT :biggrin:

As much as I hate to slow down the bashing...

Here's a real question!

Flying into OSH there was a 32 page NOTAM because of the unusually large traffic volume.

Gaston's is not on the same volume (yet) but given that there is 1-way in and 1-way out are there any tips or gotchas to share? Favorite fuel stops? Best/Worst times to arrive to avoid holding?

I'm leaning strongly towards attending.

As much as I hate to slow down the bashing...

Here's a real question!

Flying into OSH there was a 32 page NOTAM because of the unusually large traffic volume.

Gaston's is not on the same volume (yet) but given that there is 1-way in and 1-way out are there any tips or gotchas to share? Favorite fuel stops? Best/Worst times to arrive to avoid holding?

I'm leaning strongly towards attending.

You didn't get the Gaston's NOTAM?????
It's 33 pages. Just because.

Seriously though, look at the Gastons 2015 thread and someone posted some instructions and a youtube video that walks you through landing and what to look out for

Skagway isn't that bad until you take off on rwy 02 in a heavy 207. He'd have a heart attack going in to Excursion Inlet.

No, its not really that bad, it just looks bad because of the terrain. And departing 02 straight towards rapidly rising to vertical terrain can be intimidating the first time. The 207 can make the turn out without much problem, plus the added lift from the hill on the way out. The Chieftain is a little more challenging due to speed and weight, but still not the worst runway I have been to. At least it is paved, with a taxi way.

Excursion isn't too terribly bad either, just narrow and trees on all 4 sides and the runway is also the road. But again, very little room to land if the engine quits.

I assume this is all grand standing. I didn't see ANYTHING inherently wrong or dangerous about the video.

Well, he pulled power back and he did not climb Vx when trying to clear obstacles. So, I would have to disagree.

Well, he pulled power back and he did not climb Vx when trying to clear obstacles. So, I would have to disagree.

The climb checklist does say to reduce power (to 25/2500) after takeoff, but if he wasn't doing a maximum performance climb until above all obstructions, he really shouldn't be flying that thing outside sea level 6000 foot runways.

The climb checklist does say to reduce power (to 25/2500) after takeoff, but if he wasn't doing a maximum performance climb until above all obstructions, he really shouldn't be flying that thing outside sea level 6000 foot runways.

I do have 25-25-Lean 13 in my takeoff. But... it is after 'no usable runway - gear up' and 'positive climb - reduce flaps'

Guys, care to downvote his stupid video? It is easy, just click on the thumb down button.
And feel free to post comments to let him know that this is not cool.
He makes us pilots look like retards. I don't appreciate that.

If he wasn't above obstacles, then he wasn't "after takeoff." You don't pull power back if you need to clear obstacles.

I wonder if this kid takes requests for videos, we should all vote for a *<1800' field for entertainment value.

I do have 25-25-Lean 13 in my takeoff. But... it is after 'no usable runway - gear up' and 'positive climb - reduce flaps'

That should be "no usable runway and all obstructions cleared - gear up"

Gear transit takes 12 seconds, and it's a very high drag configuration.

I couldn't tell if he did a no flap takeoff or had the usual 10 deg. No flap takeoffs take bloody forever in 177RGs.

I just pulled the 76 RG POH. What it says for a maximum performance climb is climb at 62 until all obstacles are cleared. Retract the gear after all obstacles are cleared. Retract flaps at 70. You don't reduce power to 25/25 until cruise climb. In fact, there is a note not to reduce power until after wing flaps and gear have been retracted. Before 1976, the air speed indicator is in MPH. The video shows KIAS, so unless he screwed that up, too, this is a 76 or later model.

Life is so hard, when you're self absorbed, and\or stupid.
I would remind the young pup that there are guys flying in and out of much worse airports in much crappier airplanes and they don't whine about it on Youtube.
Missionaries come to mind.
There is another group of pilots flying or who have flown in and out of much worse airports, in seriously crappy airplanes while being shot at, and they didn't whine about it on Youtube either.
A tip of the hat to all you guys who flew in and out of the Central Highlands, back in the day. You pulled my bacon out of the fire a bunch of times.

Don't even get me going about the chopper drivers. Those MFers were just nutz.

Actually, before 1976, the ASI is in both MPH and knots. The V-speeds are given in MPH in the POH. They are roughly equivalent, and 90 MPH is slightly off the high end of a normal climbout (it's 65-75 KIAS).

If he's confusing MPH and KIAS, that's even more stupid. Not likely IMO.

[...] Gear transit takes 12 seconds, and it's a very high drag configuration. [...]

Don't know much about RG Cessnas, but the dangling main gear certainly looks very draggy. The guy however claims that he immediately(!) gained 7 kts, the moment the nose gear came up. I thought that this sounds questionable.
In the second video, at around 6 minutes, it also appears as whether the flaps are still at 10°, even though he is going 92 kts. Does this even make any sense in a Cardinal? In our Mooney, this would already be beyond VFE and the induced drag would be (very) significant. Can’t imagine that we would have much climb performance left.

Like others, I am not a big fan of pilot bashing, but this guy doesn't show the slightest bit of willingness to learn and appears to be completely full of himself…

... In the second video, at around 6 minutes, it also appears as whether the flaps are still at 10°, even though he is going 92 kts. Does this even make any sense in a Cardinal? In our Mooney, this would already be beyond VFE and the induced drag would be (very) significant. Can’t imagine that we would have much climb performance left...

Vfe for 10 degrees is 130 KIAS. Beyond that and you're in the white arc at 95 KIAS. I usually leave 10 in until 1000' AGL.

It looks to me like the "speed brake" has a lot less to do with drag than the main gear on the C-177 and similar gears. Look at this Youtube vid... the main gear wheels are being dragged sideways through the air before they get tucked into the fuselage....

Back