Gaston's 2008 Departure Thread

Dad and I are exactly an hour out according to the navigation system in the Land Cruiser!

Tom and I flew in and had a wonderful greeting. There was even a spot with a "Reserved" sign for the Citabria front and center. :yes: I think the scores for my landing weren't bad. :D I had to land long since Tom and then Jason and Tony were close behind. :) Runway is still in great shape. Had some hot dogs and great cookies on the flight line.

We flew through some rain and went around some small storms, but at least we didn't have a headwind like a lot of people have been experiencing.

I talked to Gil and Jason and they took off from JVY (north of Louisville, KY) about 1/2 hour ago. It looks like they will be south of the storms and have a bit of a headwind.

It's great to be here! :goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

I'm safe and snug in #27 after a 3:30 flight. Some headwind component, some minor deviations for buildups and IMC decent to 3000', but I've seen much worse. Landing was acceptable.

When the sun's out, it's hot as usual. The good thing though is that the group of people here is as good at ever.

Great to be here.

Oh, BTW there's a Mooney row. Pictures to follow :D:D

Leslie and I arrived without difficulty last evening. We got a late start (as usual), leaving at 11:30, and arriving at about 3:00 at Sikeston's, where we did lunch at Lambert's. That leg was IFR at 8000'. We then left for Gaston's VFR at 12,500' to get above the clouds. Did a low pass (go around) the first time, then came in and landed and joined everyone in the Sees' cabin. We're ensconced in 67 with Pete, and Ted will (unfortunately) not be joining us.

My wife and I are a no-go. The weather is just to much for me.

I do have a reservation for tonight that is open to anyone that needs it.

I think it's cabin 18 under Allan Lindsay. Feel free to use it since it's paid for. My cell is 815 382-0261 if anyone needs it to take over the room.

Boy am I bummed. :( I was really looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone.

Allan
Allan, if you can make it to Peoria in the AM tomorrow, and PIA to home Sunday AM, you and the missus can hitch a ride with us.
Use the cell I sent you last weekend!

My wife and I are a no-go. The weather is just to much for me.

I do have a reservation for tonight that is open to anyone that needs it.

I think it's cabin 18 under Allan Lindsay. Feel free to use it since it's paid for. My cell is 815 382-0261 if anyone needs it to take over the room.

Boy am I bummed. :( I was really looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone.

Allan
TRW forecast for most of route tomorrow.
ApacheBob and spouse are out, also. What Allan said.:(

Decisions, decisions - oh how they determine your fate.

Yesterday I looked at the winds and even though I was bummed, I decided not to make the trek to Gastons. Mid afternoon I got a call from Lance and he was trying to help me figure out how to get there. At the time the winds were howling from the south and my home runway is 26 so leaving via my Warrior wasn't an option. Driving anyware for a pick up was a 4 - 5 hr drive. I only have ~500 hrs and I'm pretty much a fair weather flyer, especially with my wife in the plane.

So, we decided to take our new camper out and loaded it up late afternoon. There is a camping spot with electricity less than 2 hrs away. Not Gastons but at least I can relax and work on studying my IR written.

As you would guess, the winds died down early evening and not a cloud in sight. I like to fly at night and I'm sure I could have made it but nooooo, I decided to go camping.

Then this moring I see a post and PM from Dr Bruce offering to give my wife and I a ride if we could get to PIA. That was doable but where was I? Camping, 85 miles from home so I missed out.

I can't thank everyone enough for trying to scheme a way for us to get to Gastons. I had the room since last Sept and was really looking forward to meeting everyone and attending my first fly-in.

I know there will be other opportunities but this one seemed to fit best since I love to fly and fly fish.

Again, thank you all for trying to help and your kind gestures, it really is appreciated. My wife was also very impressed and realizes how special "pilots" are.

Allan Lindsay

Scott,
Sorry you won't make it here, but be sure to stop by Clow this weekend for the Cavalcade of Planes!:yes:
Since this was supposed to be a weekend with the spousal unit I am obliged to do things with her.

Today we drove up to Madison. BTW we just missed getting into a tornado in Fort Atkinson. We came up right as it was passing the road and made a mess of the trees. Quite a site!!

Visited a music store that I had bought my banjo at, then went to our favorite bike store.

For all of you flying back up here be careful, we are getting smacked but good with several twisters. We are supposed to have more of the same tomorrow.

Decisions, decisions - oh how they determine your fate.

Yesterday I looked at the winds and even though I was bummed, I decided not to make the trek to Gastons. Mid afternoon I got a call from Lance and he was trying to help me figure out how to get there. At the time the winds were howling from the south and my home runway is 26 so leaving via my Warrior wasn't an option. Driving anyware for a pick up was a 4 - 5 hr drive. I only have ~500 hrs and I'm pretty much a fair weather flyer, especially with my wife in the plane.

So, we decided to take our new camper out and loaded it up late afternoon. There is a camping spot with electricity less than 2 hrs away. Not Gastons but at least I can relax and work on studying my IR written.

As you would guess, the winds died down early evening and not a cloud in sight. I like to fly at night and I'm sure I could have made it but nooooo, I decided to go camping.

Then this moring I see a post and PM from Dr Bruce offering to give my wife and I a ride if we could get to PIA. That was doable but where was I? Camping, 85 miles from home so I missed out.

I can't thank everyone enough for trying to scheme a way for us to get to Gastons. I had the room since last Sept and was really looking forward to meeting everyone and attending my first fly-in.

I know there will be other opportunities but this one seemed to fit best since I love to fly and fly fish.

Again, thank you all for trying to help and your kind gestures, it really is appreciated. My wife was also very impressed and realizes how special "pilots" are.

Allan Lindsay
Allan I am not a fair WX flyer and I still did not go. I did not want to have to deal with the head winds, and my pax really does not like getting bounced around. If I could have gotten on top with the Warrior I would have gone. BTW last night there was a bunch of t-storm south of us blocking the route anyways. By the time they cleared you would have been getting to Gaston's at night.

Back