Gaston's 2008 Departure Thread

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
Hey All,

Since I won't actually be attending this year, I thought I'd start this thread as my contribution to the effort. It's a way that those of us who can't attend can live vicariously through those of you who are flying in.

(Sorry if this is already done in another thread - if so, would the mods be so kind as to remove this one?)

Here's the proposed format:

[row][cell]Name[/cell][cell]POA User ID[/cell][cell]ETD[/cell][cell]ETA[/cell][cell]A/C Type[/cell][cell]Tail #[/cell][cell]Dep Apt[/cell][cell]Arr Apt[/cell][cell]VFR or IFR?[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]Sample McSampleson[/cell][cell]iMASample[/cell][cell]6/5/08 1353z[/cell][cell]6/5/08 1700z[/cell][cell]Cessna 172[/cell][cell]N12345[/cell][cell]KSGR[/cell][cell]3M0[/cell][cell]IFR[/cell][/row]

Edit 1: Included Departure Airport
Edit 2: Included Arrival Airport (for those going to a surrounding airport)

Last edited:
Hey All,

Since I won't actually be attending this year, I thought I'd start this thread as my contribution to the effort. It's a way that those of us who can't attend can live vicariously through those of you who are flying in.

(Sorry if this is already done in another thread - if so, would the mods be so kind as to remove this one?)

Here's the proposed format:

[row][cell]Name[/cell][cell]POA User ID[/cell][cell]ETD[/cell][cell]ETA[/cell][cell]A/C Type[/cell][cell]Tail #[/cell][cell]VFR or IFR?[/cell][/row]

[row][cell]Scott Migaldi[/cell][cell]smigaldi[/cell][cell]1400Z[/cell][cell]1730Z[/cell][cell]PA28-161[/cell][cell]N8116B[/cell][cell]IFR[/cell][/row]

Hmmmm......well I've started the departure to Gaston's, just not there yet. Got a few stops in between.

Today: Departed JYO for HGR, compass fixed.
Departed HGR for GEX, and continue to TOP, changed plans and now I'm at EKM.

Tomorrow: Depart EKM for TOP, or stay in EKM. :dunno:

Wed or Thur: Depart from whereever for AMW

Thur: Depart AMw for BPK...WooHoo!!! Arrival...sometime.....in time for pizza at Steve's!

Last edited:
Hmmmm......well I've started the departure to Gaston's, just not there yet. Got a few stops in between.

Today: Departed JYO for HGR, compass fixed.
Departed HGR for GEX, and continue to TOP, changed plans and now I'm at EKM.

Tomorrow: Depart EKM for TOP, or stay in EKM. :dunno:

Wed or Thur: Depart from whereever for AMW

Thur: Depart AMS for BPK...WooHoo!!! Arrival...sometime.....in time for pizza at Steve's!
Great! Mother Diana was worried and asking about your whereabouts!:blowingkisses:

[row][cell]Scott Migaldi[/cell][cell]smigaldi[/cell][cell]1400Z[/cell][cell]1730Z[/cell][cell]PA28-161[/cell][cell]N8116B[/cell][cell]IFR[/cell][/row]
Departing already Scott?

I am going to come in the chickenhawk Saturday morning. I think the number is N970SU. I am bringing Steve Dill a good friend that has his own grass strip. We were so close in getting the FAA to let him be an AME this year. He's a great entertaining guy to meet. Dawn and Mik are going to stay home this year.

Ugh, I just checked the forecasts, and it looks like I will be getting a pretty good headwind on the way down. I guess I'll get to enjoy the scenery for longer then :)

Currently looking like I'll have to depart mid to late morning, which is fine, that will still give me penty of time to get there - albeit with a stiff headwind most likely. :(

We were going to depart early Friday a.m.; however, both my older sons have decided they want to come, too!

Soooo... Chel, Jordan and Josh and I will travel as expected in the Cherokee, and the teenagers will be flying the Cessna 150!

Wow what a family trip! :goofy:

Not sure if we'll try to trail each other, or fly hours apart so I could come early. I think this may be one of those one-time-only chances to travel loose-ly 'together', so I think that's the way to do it.

See ya'll Friday p.m.!

I smell a formation flight and arrival in the makings! Perhaps you can even request Tac Initial to the Overhead from Gaston's Approach.

Here's my route:

KHWD ALTAM PMD V12 INW V291 GUP V62 SAF (we might stop here at KSAF) V62 RENCO V190 DHT IFI V140 HRO KBPK

Looks like about 1500 NM.

I expect:

Reaching 400' left turn 260, radar vectors Oakland, V244, Manteca, As Filed. Looks like there might be a 30 knot tailwind at 11,000' :fcross:

-Felix

Last edited:
Tomorrow's weather for me getting out of Williamsport looks like it will be interesting, for sure. Forecasts have been going back and forth between a marginal no-go and a alright go. It looks like I will be fine once I get out of Pennsylvania, those first 250 nm being the hard part.

So, given the fact that we're going to get our standard morning fog, I think my plan will be:

- Wake up (not at 6 AM)
- Pack truck
- Go to Starbucks
- Take dog to kennel (Starbucks is on the way)
- Execute command:
if weather = fly
go to airport
else
get oil changed on truck and wait

:D

Hopefully departing tomorrow! Else, see you all on Friday!

Waiting for all the fog/lifr to lift so I can make a mad dash to Ames before the next round of storms.

come fast Kaye. 700 overcast and 4 miles here. perfect weather. NWS is saying storms after 10 AM.

Waiting for all the fog/lifr to lift so I can make a mad dash to Ames before the next round of storms.

come fast Kaye. 700 overcast and 4 miles here. perfect weather. NWS is saying storms after 10 AM.
South of the front there is a good chance of storms, north there is very poor visibility. We have anywhere from 0 miles to 1/2 mile vis right now.

Hoping most of this will be east by Friday.

Isn't Ames the one with the funky sometimes working, who knows, maybe, ILS?

Isn't Ames the one with the funky sometimes working, who knows, maybe, ILS?

That's just part of the charm of the area..... combined with the group of four 2000' tall towers ~10 miles south of the airport. We don't let just ANYBODY land here, you gotta make it through the gauntlet first. :yes: :D

That's just part of the charm of the area..... combined with the group of four 2000' tall towers ~10 miles south of the airport. We don't let just ANYBODY land here, you gotta make it through the gauntlet first. :yes: :D

oh great! and i'm going to ames why??? :dunno:

and the approach only show 2 tall towers. you guys really don't like strangers, now do ya? :rolleyes:

Yikes, Kaye! Have a safe flight! :)

Tomorrow is going to be interesting, for certain. I may end up making the trip on Friday after all. Have to see how the weather progresses...

Actually, everyone else, please post the tail #'s you'll be flying to Gaston's so that we can monitor your progress.

We're scheduled to leave about 17:00Z on Friday in N5189S with arrival into Gaston's about 19:30Z

We're looking at the weather both ways for the trip, here (S.E. MI) and along many routes south, as well as the weather in AR. Not sure we're gonna make it this year. :(

Yikes, Kaye! Have a safe flight! :)

Tomorrow is going to be interesting, for certain. I may end up making the trip on Friday after all. Have to see how the weather progresses...

Yep, you have challenges......:eek:

oh great! and i'm going to ames why??? :dunno:

and the approach only show 2 tall towers. you guys really don't like strangers, now do ya? :rolleyes:

This is why you're coming to Ames. Do you NEED any more reason!? ;)

attachment.php

We don't mind strangers, we just try to weed out the weak ones before they get here. See you when you get here. :D

Attachments

• 6Y9_07 014.jpg
    6Y9_07 014.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 120
Yep, you have challenges......:eek:

Yeah, enough challenges that I think I'm going to postpone my departure flight until Friday. Tomorrow is just not looking good for that kind of a trip since I need to be VFR the whole way. :(

Current plan is to leave on Friday, and if the weather clears up enough Thursday afternoon/evening I may fly to Ohio and spend the night, but right now it is looking like I'll have to make the whole trip on Friday if I can make it at all.

I'll be flying a Piper Archer, N3562G, assuming things don't get screwed up enough that I have to cancel entirely...

the glideslope is the only flaky part. its been working well lately, no complaints that I've heard. Localizer is always rock solid.

Des Moines wont let you hit the towers so no worries. they are super paranoid about them.

Actually, everyone else, please post the tail #'s you'll be flying to Gaston's so that we can monitor your progress.

Works much, much better than Lockheed-Martin!

well Kaye is filed, should be here around 1:30

Weather depending, leaving Sat. am from ARR to 3M0. N1477X. We have a room. If we have to cancel, I hope someone will buy the room from us.:)
ApacheBob

Last edited:
We were going to depart early Friday a.m.; however, both my older sons have decided they want to come, too!

Soooo... Chel, Jordan and Josh and I will travel as expected in the Cherokee, and the teenagers will be flying the Cessna 150!

Wow what a family trip! :goofy:

Not sure if we'll try to trail each other, or fly hours apart so I could come early. I think this may be one of those one-time-only chances to travel loose-ly 'together', so I think that's the way to do it.

See ya'll Friday p.m.!

p.s. We're in 5230W and 19032 (the 150):D

We're going to try to get out of here early tomorrow afternoon. Phil is having the BT radios worked on this AM and will hopefully be flying the BT-13 (Vultee 2808) down. He'll have the GPS and our most current sectional.....I'll have the seat of my pants and my Mach I eyeballs. B) I called to make sure our cabin is available tomorrow....it is....:)

I'll be behind him (by at least an hour) in the L-19 (Birddog 4763E)....poking along into what looks to be a stiff headwind. But I'm happy up there - so don't anyone fret....:rolleyes: 186 nm...25 mph headwind.....I may never get there......

Mark will try to make it Friday evening, but he's doubtful and we'll see him Saturday AM. Terri is flying commercial into Little Rock.....we'll be fetching her Saturday sometime.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. :goofy:

Last edited:
Planning on leaving Saturday morning about 8:30 or so. Route is ADS DP Direct sounds like Mountain Home, but will make a low pass to solicit a ride back to 3M0 <g> Should take 1.5 to 1.45 depending on winds. Baron N322KS.

Best,

Dave

Back