Garmin Pilot vs ForeFlight

(Still learning how to use more of the features in FF) I've had the iPad overheat issue twice - both times with my passenger holding it on his / her lap, sun shining in, enclosed in an Otterbox case. A significant issue IMHO. Not sure what's a good solution - case with fans ? No case?
I have an IPad fan case - it helps. But I still deal with the sun washing out the I Pad screen.

Last edited:
I have GP, like it.

Question, Is there a way to update my GPS-175 through my IPad GP app via Bluetooth? Just say it mentioned(maybe above), never heard of such.

I ask, because sometimes trouble with card.
It has built in Connext. GP should be able to update it wirelessly I think?

I like the ability to do weight and balance and file on FF much better than Garmin. In Garmin, I have loaded the profile for my airplane several times and everytime I enter the W&B or try to file it says my airplane profile is missing when I’m looking right at it. So it doesn’t let me file or do W&B. This forces me to go into FlightPlan.com and finish it there.

With FF, I can do everything within the app. I have all Garmin and prefer the less expensive Garmin, but it’s easier to navigate within and get to things with FF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has built in Connext. GP should be able to update it wirelessly I think?
If it has built in Connect then you shouldn’t need a FStream; you should be able to connect to it directly from your Garmin running on your tablet.

If it has built in Connect then you shouldn’t need a FStream; you should be able to connect to it directly from your Garmin running on your tablet.
Connect to it to share gps, flight plan, adsb etc, yes, but the database updates go over wifi, which I believe requires the FS

I really like GP. I used it all throughout IR training last year. The one problem that I am having with it, as I transition to my own plane, is that it doesn't play (at all) with my ADSB-in (Stratux). While I would like to complain about FF about them requiring me to join the cult to use their product, it seems the same can be said for GP. I would love to say that Fltplan Go is a nice substitute, but nope. It has most of the things, and it's free, but it also is the least user-friendly aviation device I've seen in recent memory.

Thanks, I think my question answered. Yes, GP on my iPad connects up to transfer info/flight plan to the GPS-175.

With actual data base updates for the panel mounted GPS-175, seems I still need the reader card used in the computer to transfer.

Connect to it to share gps, flight plan, adsb etc, yes, but the database updates go over wifi, which I believe requires the FS

You are correct. You already have everything built in that a $1500 FS 510 offers except Database Concierge.

I prefer ForeFlight weather products. FF is a little more expensive, but I plan to stay with it. I had issues with GP dropping the connection to my ADS-B In device even though it is a Garmin device.

I really like GP. I used it all throughout IR training last year. The one problem that I am having with it, as I transition to my own plane, is that it doesn't play (at all) with my ADSB-in (Stratux). While I would like to complain about FF about them requiring me to join the cult to use their product, it seems the same can be said for GP. I would love to say that Fltplan Go is a nice substitute, but nope. It has most of the things, and it's free, but it also is the least user-friendly aviation device I've seen in recent memory.

Yes, Garmin is a members only club it seems. F Flight does play better with others, including Stratux.

I like the ability to do weight and balance and file on FF much better than Garmin. In Garmin, I have loaded the profile for my airplane several times and everytime I enter the W&B or try to file it says my airplane profile is missing when I’m looking right at it. So it doesn’t let me file or do W&B. This forces me to go into FlightPlan.com and finish it there.
I disconnected GP from FlightPlan.com for just that reason. The W&B was one example. If you disconnect the FP.com account, the profiles stay just in GP. FP.com is not that much use for a non-commercial pilot IMHO. There's a setting in GP to toggle FP.com connection on and off.

I understand GP now supports some of the recent Stratux devices.

Thanks. I will pull it out this afternoon and see if I got lucky. I prefer to stay with GP. It seems silly that they would not add that feature. Although not adding it does provide an incentive to add a piece of avionics from this century...

Thanks. I will pull it out this afternoon and see if I got lucky. ...

When the softball is this easy to hit, there is just not enough sport involved……….

That's huge. I've broken the charging port off of my GDL50 twice now, and was trying to come up with a superior repair using a cable pigtail of some form. (I charge using the cumbersome 696 data/charge cable currently)

Garmin's repair center gave me the bird and told me to buy another new unit. I'd contentedly try a stratus 3 instead and give the bird right back.

That's huge. I've broken the charging port off of my GDL50 twice now, and was trying to come up with a superior repair using a cable pigtail of some form. (I charge using the cumbersome 696 data/charge cable currently)

Garmin's repair center gave me the bird and told me to buy another new unit. I'd contentedly try a stratus 3 instead and give the bird right back.
I think there are some limitations, however, if I recall correctly it does not provide traffic alerts using Stratux....

I did some browsing last night and apparently there are some adjustments you can make on the Stratux to get it to work, but it seems fairly involved.

I’ve been trying to like Garmin Pilot but for IFR flying and planning it seems lacking. Does anyone know if there’s a route advisor function in GP similar to Foreflight? Where you enter the origin and destination and it’ll spit out a few options for routes. I was disappointed with the “Routing/Planned ATC Routing” function as there were minimal options and most of the offered routes were flown by Turboprops or Jets. Thanks!

I’ve been trying to like Garmin Pilot but for IFR flying and planning it seems lacking. Does anyone know if there’s a route advisor function in GP similar to Foreflight? Where you enter the origin and destination and it’ll spit out a few options for routes. I was disappointed with the “Routing/Planned ATC Routing” function as there were minimal options and most of the offered routes were flown by Turboprops or Jets. Thanks!
This is why I prefer FF for IFR. The flight and weather planning features are much better IMO, and I like the ability to do it on the web in advance.

...Does anyone know if there’s a route advisor function in GP similar to Foreflight?...
When editing the flight plan, tap "ROUTING" in the top right next to the book icon.

When editing the flight plan, tap "ROUTING" in the top right next to the book icon.
For routing, if there aren't good options, try an adjacent airport. I am at KFIN, which doesn't pop up good routes to where I typically go. I put in KDAB, which is a class C and use those and usually get "cleared as filed" with a route that works.

Yeah I’ve played around with that but if any routes populate it’s usually a turboprop or jet. Most of the time there’s not even a route option, with Foreflight it seems like there are several and if not they always have a “recommended” route. I know I can plan the route myself or change airports but I’ve been spoiled with that as a time saver. I really was hoping Garmin Pilot had a similar feature.

Yeah I’ve played around with that but if any routes populate it’s usually a turboprop or jet. Most of the time there’s not even a route option, with Foreflight it seems like there are several and if not they always have a “recommended” route. I know I can plan the route myself or change airports but I’ve been spoiled with that as a time saver. I really was hoping Garmin Pilot had a similar feature.
If you want to fly from Savannah, TN to Houston Hobby it still has my route I've flown the last 2 times. Just depends on what people are filing. The feature is there.

As mentioned...FF prices are jumping up more than 20% in the next few months.....

I disconnected GP from FlightPlan.com for just that reason. The W&B was one example. If you disconnect the FP.com account, the profiles stay just in GP. FP.com is not that much use for a non-commercial pilot IMHO. There's a setting in GP to toggle FP.com connection on and off.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

If you’re a CFI and a member of NAFI, you get a pretty good discount on the FF Performance package. It’s normally $300. Mine was $200 with the NAFI discount.

FF user since inception. Works very well VFR and IFR. Sits in a cradle with fans to avoid overheating issue. Email come from FF with expected route, populate to flight plan and done. Sends text to iphone with current ATIS including letter code. What's not to like?

Hope they open the android version of GP to stratux soon

Back