Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Anyone getting "Invalid estimated time enroute." after switching to / using CSC DUATs for the briefing source?

KHSV->8A1, with an estimated time enroute of 0010 fails nearly (nearly) every time for me, changing this to something higher (0130) will sometimes work.

This on Android GP V4.3.2.

Anyone getting "Invalid estimated time enroute." after switching to / using CSC DUATs for the briefing source?

KHSV->8A1, with an estimated time enroute of 0010 fails nearly (nearly) every time for me, changing this to something higher (0130) will sometimes work.

This on Android GP V4.3.2.

Yes, I am getting the same bug. For me the automatically calculated ETE is 00:12, with which the CSC DUAT fails. If I manually increase it to 00:30, it seems to work fine. Trying 00:25 still fails. I don't see why the briefing should care about the ETE, but it's certainly a bug if it fails with its own auto-calculated one.

Just a side note - I was able to get GP to lock on and keep track on a commercial flight today, first time it has managed to do it. Seat 18D (exit row) in ERJ-145, from KBTV to KORD. Used the VFR vector map and it ran really well, was stable and kept lock the whole flight using the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 built-in GPS chipset for source. Autozoom and auto-saf-taxi both worked flawlessly although with the VFR vector map Safe-Taxi is not really needed, just zoom into 500' and you get same details.

20150724_084409_zpsuyob4bwj.jpg

20150724_090604_zpsqb1jh7m2.jpg

20150724_101006_zpslmkjc9hv.jpg

20150724_102559_zpsx3wngflj.jpg

Really happy with how it is running right now, and good for them, my subscription is up and if they hadn't added terrain and obstacles I was going back to Avilution.

'Gimp

Yes, I am getting the same bug. For me the automatically calculated ETE is 00:12, with which the CSC DUAT fails. If I manually increase it to 00:30, it seems to work fine. Trying 00:25 still fails. I don't see why the briefing should care about the ETE, but it's certainly a bug if it fails with its own auto-calculated one.

The CSC duats web site will accept 0010 for me, but not through Garmin Pilot. I also noticed that I wasn't receiving the destination notams through GP, but was through the web site. (I noticed, because 8A1 just got a new runway and I wanted to see the notams. Did not show up in the briefing I received through GP once I finally managed to get it.)

Time to submit a bug report.

So a question for other GP users on Samsung devices, especially anyone else running it on the Galaxy Note 8.0 like I do, have you noticed that even on a charger GP drains the battery, albeit slower than if not on the charger?

Brightness, as set in GP, not on the main settings page, seems to help but it needs to be down so low as to not be visible in the Yak cockpit. Could be an issue with backlight on my specific unit but just curious if anyone else has same/similar issue.

'Gimp

So a question for other GP users on Samsung devices, especially anyone else running it on the Galaxy Note 8.0 like I do, have you noticed that even on a charger GP drains the battery, albeit slower than if not on the charger?

Brightness, as set in GP, not on the main settings page, seems to help but it needs to be down so low as to not be visible in the Yak cockpit. Could be an issue with backlight on my specific unit but just curious if anyone else has same/similar issue.

'Gimp

There was a thread here recently about charging the N7, and I think the charging problems are generic enough to apply to any tablet or USB device. I used to have a constant drain in flight on both my N7's (I use two in flight, one per yoke) until I found a really good USB adapter (12-28v, dual output). I also use in-line voltage/current monitors to gauge the performance of the charger. Also, the USB cable you use can make a huge difference (some cables appear to be very resistive and/or have bad connectors). With this charger and good cables, both N7's now charge to 100% in flight and stay there, just like at home on AC power.
Here is the USB charger I got (via Amazon):
http://www.mygoflight.com/dualmicro12-28volt/
BTW, I had read a negative review online about this charger stating that it creates huge amount of static on the radios in flight. But I took the chance and got it anyway, and at least my unit seems fine, with no detectable noise and good power output to both loads (from a 28v source).

And here is the in-line USB tester I use (which was recommended here by a PoAer):
http://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Dual-usb-Charging-Detector-Alignment/dp/B00J3JSEG6

Edit: Also, I use this app to monitor the charging current from the perspective of the Android device. If it's indicating a negative current, you are obviously not charging.

Last edited:
The wall charger for the N7 can pump out 1.35A. A lot of 12V USB adapters put out a lot less, so it's possible for the N7 to discharge while plugged in. Make sure to use a high quality adapter and check its current rating.

Last edited:
I filed a bug report, it's a known issue, they're working on a fix. Which tells me most people used DTC? I guess.

On android, is there a way to see the parts of the A/FD that aren't for a specific airport? Like the VOR receiver check section?

I filed a bug report, it's a known issue, they're working on a fix. Which tells me most people used DTC? I guess.

On android, is there a way to see the parts of the A/FD that aren't for a specific airport? Like the VOR receiver check section?
Yes, on the Airport Info page, press the Menu button and look for the Supplemental A/FD and General A/FD entries.

It took me a few minutes to remember where I had seen that. I wish Garmin would update the Garmin Pilot user's guide to the current software version.

Yes, on the Airport Info page, press the Menu button and look for the Supplemental A/FD and General A/FD entries.

It took me a few minutes to remember where I had seen that. I wish Garmin would update the Garmin Pilot user's guide to the current software version.

Awesome! Thanks. I never noticed that before.

Guys, I hate to say this but I finally relented and bought an iPad mini 2 and transferred my GP subscription over to it (simple and free to do). Holy crap, the iOS version is vastly superior. I think that goes without saying since it's something we've complained about on this thread for a while now. I guess they know I can switch over to Foreflight so easily now that they've got to keep me happy on iOS GP. So far so good -- the iOS version of GP is just awesome. I finally made the switch because my nexus 7's battery ran out of juice and wouldn't charge reliably and got too buggy too quickly (only 1.5 years). So that $100 I saved in upfront costs didn't really pan out. Anyways, I probably won't be reading this thread anymore because I've gone over to the dark side and am loving it. Thought you should know, and may you forgive me for my sin...

Guys, I hate to say this but I finally relented and bought an iPad mini 2 and transferred my GP subscription over to it (simple and free to do). Holy crap, the iOS version is vastly superior. I think that goes without saying since it's something we've complained about on this thread for a while now. I guess they know I can switch over to Foreflight so easily now that they've got to keep me happy on iOS GP. So far so good -- the iOS version of GP is just awesome. I finally made the switch because my nexus 7's battery ran out of juice and wouldn't charge reliably and got too buggy too quickly (only 1.5 years). So that $100 I saved in upfront costs didn't really pan out. Anyways, I probably won't be reading this thread anymore because I've gone over to the dark side and am loving it. Thought you should know, and may you forgive me for my sin...
I'm glad the iOS version is nice, but I am already 100% satisfied with Garmin Pilot and my Samsung Galaxy S tablet, so it's tough to justify the expense and aggravation of switching to Apple.

I also love the thorough and flawless integration of everything Android, across our multiple platforms.

But have fun!

Several pilots I know have experienced their iPads going dark - presumably due to overheating. I've never had that problem with my Androids, nor has anyone that I know. What's so different about the apple version that makes it better than the Android version?

Overall features and snappiness of the program. It looks cleaner and runs cleaner (granted my iPad is brand new). Better features. Just as an example, if I go to the flight plan tab and just start typing in waypoints, the whole nav log with all the info I want just auto populates below (see attached). To do that on Android I had to do some roundabout process of entering in a flight plan, going over to the trip planning tab, importing my new flight plan, and then it still wouldn't lay it out as nicely as the iOS version does automatically. I'm sure the synthetic vision plus AHRS will be nice too but I haven't used it yet. One thing I can't complain about on the Nexus 7 was its internal GPS, that thing never let me down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 22
I may be alone on this, but I find the whole "integration of flight plans to the Garmin site via my desktop PC so it can file a flight plan" to be worthless. As a result I never use those features, which is apparently a large part of what is "better" in the iOS version.

Why? Because...

a) I haven't filed a flight plan in 20+ years. (I know, I'm doomed.)

b) I often don't know where I'm going, or even if I'm flying, before heading to the airport.

Even going to Oshkosh, an annual 2500 nm round trip, I didn't use those features, primarily because when flying VFR transcontinental a flight plan is merely a suggestion. As usual, we happily ended up stopping at three airports (Ft. Dodge, IA; Ponca City, OK; and New Braunfels, TX) that we never planned to visit.

So, we just hop in the plane and go. We often enter the flight data into GP as we are walking out to the plane, or rolling down the taxiway, making a huge part of the Garmin Pilot app worthless to me.

Another feature I stumbled across -- zoom in on an airport in VFR dynamic map mode and it gives you a hi-res layout of the airport. Runways, taxiways, FBOs, and current notams even! That's pretty cool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 21
Nevermind those aren't notams, they must be heavy traffic alert areas.

Still, neat. Didn't know it would do that.

As a programmer, the only thing I'd really like for them to do is allow third party plugins to access the various features. They've done the hard part, getting all of the various data sources displayed on a map. Now, give me control of that map. :)

New GP Android version 4.3.3 out (OTA). Apparently/hopefully fixes the persistent and bothersome FIS-B radar weather artifacts (missing strips and truncated area) that I mentioned previously on this thread.
Will report whether that's really fixed on next flight, but input from others welcome.

Those are "Hot Spots"; see them notated on the FAA airport diagram here as HS1, HS2, HS3:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1508/00358AD.PDF

(Yeah I know it's a weird URL, that's the link to the airport diagram PDF from the airnav.com entry for SAC - if you don't trust the link, just download the diagram PDF from your favorite source).

I believe those are areas on the airport where ATC has previously noticed confusion or incidents of some sort; the textual description of the hot spots is also available somewhere in the approach plate book, similar to the alternate minimums, departure procedures, etc.

I'd like to see the GPS satellite screen, like they have in all their other products.

New GP Android version 4.3.3 out (OTA). Apparently/hopefully fixes the persistent and bothersome FIS-B radar weather artifacts (missing strips and truncated area) that I mentioned previously on this thread.
Will report whether that's really fixed on next flight, but input from others welcome.
I'm hoping this update fixes the radar display in general.

Once again, we had no radar overlay on our flights the last two days. The only "fix" I've found has been a complete uninstall/reinstall, and that gets really, really old. And it's obviously only temoorary.

Thankfully, ADS-B radar was still available on our EFIS, but I really like having it displayed in the back cockpit, too.

I've installed 4.3.3, and it runs well and appears safe to install. I never had problems with ADS-B radar failing to appear, so I can't say it improved anything for me.

It seems to have fixed the issue using CSC DUATS for short trips.

I do wish the fonts / rendering in the safe taxi view didn't suck. I can barely see the taxiway labels.

Has anyone else found that the Twin Falls, Seattle, and overview sectional fail to download. Probably not a problem for me, as I have no plans to fly there soon, but puzzling.

Has anyone else found that the Twin Falls, Seattle, and overview sectional fail to download. Probably not a problem for me, as I have no plans to fly there soon, but puzzling.

Hmm...Had the same problem last night. I took a commercial flight to SEA last week and downloaded the sectional. Last night I was trying to delete it and got an error, then when I tried to update it, that failed too. Now it shows I have it, but also thinks I don't.

Okay .. so I finally broke down and bought a tablet. LG GPad 8.3. I'm trying to get it to pair up with a GDL39 that belongs to a friend of mine before deciding to get one myself. I've installed a trial version of Garmin Pilot and that seems to be working ok. What am I missing on getting them to pair up? There aren't any options on the GDL39 .. you just turn it on. The tablet thinks it's paired up but the blue light on the GDL39 never comes on. Any ideas?

RT

Okay .. so I finally broke down and bought a tablet. LG GPad 8.3. I'm trying to get it to pair up with a GDL39 that belongs to a friend of mine before deciding to get one myself. I've installed a trial version of Garmin Pilot and that seems to be working ok. What am I missing on getting them to pair up? There aren't any options on the GDL39 .. you just turn it on. The tablet thinks it's paired up but the blue light on the GDL39 never comes on. Any ideas?

RT

Make sure the GDL 39 is powered.
Then, in the Garmin Pilot Android app, go to Home -> Connext -> GDL 39.
Find your GDL 39 BT device in the Connect dropdown menu and click the blue "Connect" button.

Make sure the GDL 39 is powered.
Then, in the Garmin Pilot Android app, go to Home -> Connext -> GDL 39.
Find your GDL 39 BT device in the Connect dropdown menu and click the blue "Connect" button.

Bingo. Thanks, RD. We've used it a bunch in his R44 so I know it works .. but he uses an iPad for Garmin Pilot. Now I can play with it a while in my Sonex.

Thanks.

RT

Bingo. Thanks, RD. We've used it a bunch in his R44 so I know it works .. but he uses an iPad for Garmin Pilot. Now I can play with it a while in my Sonex.

Thanks.

RT

Pleasure. :)

Good news. The latest update has restored ADS-B radar, at least for the 1 hour flight we took tonight.

Also, there's a new firmware (4.50) available for the GDL-39. We taxied up to the FBO, connected to their wifi, and updated that tonight, too.

I came across a strange one by accident... looking at the TAC at night for a landmark (or trying, anyways), I discovered my map goes blank if in night-mode when trying to load Sectional/TAC view. VFR loads fine, but not sectional. Has anybody else ran in to this or is it just me?

I came across a strange one by accident... looking at the TAC at night for a landmark (or trying, anyways), I discovered my map goes blank if in night-mode when trying to load Sectional/TAC view. VFR loads fine, but not sectional. Has anybody else ran in to this or is it just me?

You are right, there is some serious drain bamage in the night mode code when it comes to all the non-vector maps (not just sectional/TAC). :(

You are right, there is some serious drain bamage in the night mode code when it comes to all the non-vector maps (not just sectional/TAC). :(
Is Garmin aware? I was debating submitting it to them and decided to bring it up with you fine gentlemen first to detertmine if I needed to.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Is Garmin aware? I was debating submitting it to them and decided to bring it up with you fine gentlemen first to detertmine if I needed to.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Not sure if they are monitoring this thread (they should). I haven't reported it myself (only noticed it after you mentioned it here), so please go ahead and let us know what they say.

Not sure if they are monitoring this thread (they should). I haven't reported it myself (only noticed it after you mentioned it here), so please go ahead and let us know what they say.
With 192 pages of input, the Garmin Pilot team would have to be pretty lame NOT to keep an eye on this thread.

With 192 pages of input, the Garmin Pilot team would have to be pretty lame NOT to keep an eye on this thread.

Garmin should be sponsoring you Jay and giving you the app for free to evaluate for all the troubleshooting you've done for them. :yesnod:

If you haven't reported it yet, go ahead. They usually get back within 24 hrs to let you know they got it. If you can include specific steps to recreate the problems, that's even better. I found a strange one last year, it was easier to generate a 5 step procedure so they could see it than it was to try to explain. They did get back to me and thank me for it. That problem was part of the next bug fix version.

Back