Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

I re-subscribe via the Google PlayStore. What I have to do is enter my Gmail address and Google password to do this.

Dick

I am trying to enter my Gmail address to re-subscribe through the PlayStore. The device is an ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T, running Android 4.2.1

I re-subscribe via the Google PlayStore. What I have to do is enter my Gmail address and Google password to do this.

Dick

OK. Haven't tried that way. There is an option to update your subscription right in the app. I went to Settings / Subscriptions and it offers the option to purchase updated subscriptions.

Following up from the issues back in September with the rollout of GP 4.0, I put in a detailed and epic bug report direct to Garmin via the website on 9/22 and have heard absolutely bupkus, nothing, nada, zilch. Not even an acknowledgement of the bug report.

GP itself has stabilized and other than the occasional delay pulling data up is running fine now, it still defaults to some intersection on the Minneapolis sectional between screen changes, and still no word on feature set parity with iOS (synthetic vision, obstacles and terrain).

I will say that the traffic performance has truly improved with the 4.02 release and is providing really good situational awareness.

I have been running the free AVARE app as a backup on both the tablet and my phone and am more and more impressed with what it does, for free. I am even almost tempted to build my own SDR UAT receiver to get ADS-B and TIS-B data for AVARE or go back to FlightPro (Avilution).

Garmin needs to understand that there is a limited window of opportunity for them to establish themselves as the dominant Android EFB solution, and feature set is what will do that. FlightPro (former Avilution), AvNav, Naviator and others, with more flexibility for data sources and wider feature sets can and do compete already.

'Gimp

Last edited:
Following up from the issues back in September with the rollout of GP 4.0, I put in a detailed and epic bug report direct to Garmin via the website on 9/22 and have heard absolutely bupkus, nothing, nada, zilch. Not even an acknowledgement of the bug report.

GP itself has stabilized and other than the occasional delay pulling data up is running fine now, it still defaults to some intersection on the Minneapolis sectional between screen changes, and still no word on feature set parity with iOS (synthetic vision, obstacles and terrain).

I will say that the traffic performance has truly improved with the 4.02 release and is providing really good situational awareness.

I have been running the free AVARE app as a backup on both the tablet and my phone and am more and more impressed with what it does, for free. I am even almost tempted to build my own SDR UAT receiver to get ADS-B and TIS-B data for AVARE or go back to FlightPro (Avilution).

Garmin needs to understand that there is a limited window of opportunity for them to establish themselves as the dominant Android EFB solution, and feature set is what will do that. FlightPro (former Avilution), AvNav, Naviator and others, with more flexibility for data sources and wider feature sets can and do compete already.

'Gimp

While I agree, I've tried -- and discarded -- all of the other Android apps, and always come back to Garmin Pilot. None of the others have the feature set and intuitive menu system of GP.

Release 4.0.2 is absolutely perfect, as far as I can tell. Not a burp yet, in many flights. Which must mean it's time for Garmin to eff with it again. :lol:

Can I go off topic for a minute?
I went to use my GDL 39 for the first time since the installation of CONNEXT and now cannot make a Blutooth connection to the tablet or my phone. I've tried the troubleshooting exercises list in CONNEXT

PRELUDE: I just purchased a Samsung Tab4 8" tablet and moved my GarminPilot app over to it from the dated Motorola XYboard 10" tablet I had been using. The new tab sits in the Ram yoke mount perfectly! This new set up is the Cats Meow. I can comfortable fly through all my commercial manuevers with this thing and it never seems to be in the way. I'm loving the new setup, the new tablet has a better processor. It works fine with it's own GPS but I want to use the GDL 39 for the ADSB data.

Did you update the firmware in the GDL-39? If not, nothing above GP 4.0 will work with it until you do.

I have not updated the firmware. Is the instructions to do so on the Garmin website? Never done it before.

I have not updated the firmware. Is the instructions to do so on the Garmin website? Never done it before.
Its not too bad to do. The only "gotcha" is you MUST be connected to the internet. Since many Android tablets -- mine included -- don't have a cell connection, this means positioning the tablet and GDL-39 near a WiFi source.

No big deal, if your GDL-39 is truly portable, and you can take it home. In my case, I've got mine installed in the plane such that its a PIA to remove. So, I have to be near the FBO's WiFi.

Once connected, you now do the GDL-39 firmware update from within the Gar!in Pilot app, which is a vast improvement. You used to do it through a separate stand alone app, available in the Play Store.

My GDL 39 is portable, so I'll do it when I get home from work. I'm just glad to know it's an update issue and not a component failure. Thanks

Mike

OK so I cant even get the tablet to connect to the GDL. GDL is paired with tablet, I acknowledge the pass key confirmation and it pairs up. I go back to Pilot app > CONNEXT > GDL 39 > press connect > it scans and says Not Connected" > I try the troubleshooting advice and still wont connect. It wont connect with my phone anymore either so I know it's not just the new tablet. I believe it must connect before I see an update Firmware message because I'm not seeing a message to up date firmware. I think I'll have to contact Garmin in the AM. Thanks

Mike

In addition to the Garmin Pilot App there is a GDL-39 App on the Play Store. If you can't get the phone or tablet to connect to the GDL via GP I would remove and 'forget' the connections on the phone and tablet and try one more time, then just see if you can use the GDL App to get the firmware update installed. I noticed that mine took longer to connect the first time after the GP update to 4.0 but once the firmware in the GDL was updated it worked fine.

Good luck.

'Gimp

In addition to the Garmin Pilot App there is a GDL-39 App on the Play Store. If you can't get the phone or tablet to connect to the GDL via GP I would remove and 'forget' the connections on the phone and tablet and try one more time, then just see if you can use the GDL App to get the firmware update installed. I noticed that mine took longer to connect the first time after the GP update to 4.0 but once the firmware in the GDL was updated it worked fine.

Good luck.

'Gimp
Yup, what 'Gimp says.

This is one of the only things I dislike about the GDL-39 -- it's 100% Bluetooth dependent. No Bluetooth, no functionality at all -- even for updates.

Yup, what 'Gimp says.

This is one of the only things I dislike about the GDL-39 -- it's 100% Bluetooth dependent. No Bluetooth, no functionality at all -- even for updates.

Well, that's not correct. It is still working without bluetooth (collecting data) and it doesn't require Bluetooth enabled device to display weather/traffic - you can hardwire it to Garmin's portables.

As for Bluetooth, I'm actually glad they went this route, as opposed to Stratus and others who depend on Wi-Fi. This way I can have both GDL-39 feed AND Internet connection on my tablet.

Looks like I'm about to have to do a factory reset. My N7 has been getting a tendency to shut down randomly, and requires the "hold down the power button for 30 seconds" to get it back on again. I've cleared a few things, uninstalled a few other things, but it still happens.

Before I do this, I want to backup a few pictures I have stored on there. I don't think the device backup does this - does it? I think the backup will just allow you to save/restore things like passwords and other settings, but doesn't backup any downloaded PDFs or photos?

OK forgive my spelling cuz I'm on my phone. Was on the phone with Garmin today fixing my GDL 39. Those guys were great. They had to email me an older update that was like the GDL app so I could update the GDL one step at a time until it would accept the 4.1 version. Mine was so out of date that we had to go back to 3.1 to start with. It worked and I'm back in business. Thanks to Bob and Russ for their patience and persistence.

Looks like I'm about to have to do a factory reset. My N7 has been getting a tendency to shut down randomly, and requires the "hold down the power button for 30 seconds" to get it back on again. I've cleared a few things, uninstalled a few other things, but it still happens.

Before I do this, I want to backup a few pictures I have stored on there. I don't think the device backup does this - does it? I think the backup will just allow you to save/restore things like passwords and other settings, but doesn't backup any downloaded PDFs or photos?

Best bet is to dump the pictures onto a PC.

Well, that's not correct. It is still working without bluetooth (collecting data) and it doesn't require Bluetooth enabled device to display weather/traffic - you can hardwire it to Garmin's portables.

As for Bluetooth, I'm actually glad they went this route, as opposed to Stratus and others who depend on Wi-Fi. This way I can have both GDL-39 feed AND Internet connection on my tablet.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. When using it with a Nexus 7 (or any other) tablet, you must be connected via Bluetooth to update the GDL-39. No Bluetooth, no nothing.

And I, too, am glad they use Bluetooth rather than Wifi. But I do wish there was another way to update the GDL-39, if you BT connection goes TU.

OK - Might have cleaned up my N7. Decided to do a full reset (after backing up any downloaded files). Everything has been re-installed and restored.

But - Garmin Pilot now says my subscription is expired. It recognizes my login, then says "expired". Waiting on a call back from Garmin about it, I should have another 4-6 months or so left.

Any way I can go online and see what's happening?

edit: Now I see a message "You do not have an open license for Garmin Pilot. To continue using your in-app purchase, please remove a license from another device or purchase a new license from the Garmin Pilot subscription page."

Maybe it thinks I'm trying to install it on a 2nd Nexus.

Yep - looks like that was it.

Last edited:
OK - Might have cleaned up my N7. Decided to do a full reset (after backing up any downloaded files). Everything has been re-installed and restored.

But - Garmin Pilot now says my subscription is expired. It recognizes my login, then says "expired". Waiting on a call back from Garmin about it, I should have another 4-6 months or so left.

Any way I can go online and see what's happening?

edit: Now I see a message "You do not have an open license for Garmin Pilot. To continue using your in-app purchase, please remove a license from another device or purchase a new license from the Garmin Pilot subscription page."

Maybe it thinks I'm trying to install it on a 2nd Nexus.

Yep - looks like that was it.
Yep, you got it. I had the same thing happen after I did a factory reset.

Seems like my N7 has finally bricked. It's a gen 1. It had been spontaneously shutting off, or freezing, even in safe mode. I did a factory reset, and that seemed to help for a couple days before problems started resuming. Safe mode worked for about a day before it started acting up again, and finally it gets to the "Google" splash screen and goes no further.

I started in "Recovery Mode" and tried to wipe the system cache, and also tried a factory reset. In each of those cases the display gets to "wiping cache" and goes no further. Now I can't even get it into Recovery Mode properly any more.
:(

Seems like my N7 has finally bricked. It's a gen 1. It had been spontaneously shutting off, or freezing, even in safe mode. I did a factory reset, and that seemed to help for a couple days before problems started resuming. Safe mode worked for about a day before it started acting up again, and finally it gets to the "Google" splash screen and goes no further.

I started in "Recovery Mode" and tried to wipe the system cache, and also tried a factory reset. In each of those cases the display gets to "wiping cache" and goes no further. Now I can't even get it into Recovery Mode properly any more.
:(
Aren't you glad it's not an iPad? lol

Refurbed Gen 2s can be had for $169.

Or, wait for the new Nexus 9, due out in two weeks. Although that extra two inches is a deal killer for me. If it can't fit in a cargo pocket, I don't want it.

Aren't you glad it's not an iPad? lol

Refurbed Gen 2s can be had for $169.

Or, wait for the new Nexus 9, due out in two weeks. Although that extra two inches is a deal killer for me. If it can't fit in a cargo pocket, I don't want
it.
If it was an iPad I'd consider letting a 'genius' see if there was a way to reset it.

Now I'm looking on-line and finding all kinds of stuff for unlocking, rooting, whatever. I'm trying to find some way to do a fresh factory do-over, so I can figure out if it's just got hosed s/w or if the h/w has just toasted.

I like the N7 form factor, too. No reason to spend the extra bucks for the larger system.

I think it's dead.

I've been trying to re-flash the thing most of the day, but get internal errors when unlocking the bootloader. From what I've seen on-line, that's not an unknown issue and usually means it an internal hardware problem at the chip level. "It's dead, Jim."

I'm checking on a few things just to make sure, but it looks like I'll be getting a new gen N7 soon. Any new features with the new one? I heard it has a better display.

I think it's dead.

I've been trying to re-flash the thing most of the day, but get internal errors when unlocking the bootloader. From what I've seen on-line, that's not an unknown issue and usually means it an internal hardware problem at the chip level. "It's dead, Jim."

I'm checking on a few things just to make sure, but it looks like I'll be getting a new gen N7 soon. Any new features with the new one? I heard it has a better display.
The 2013 version has a much better screen.

Looks like the 2013 and 16GB new is around $200.

What's a comparable iDevice? I see there are quite a few to choose from.

Plus - any news on a new N7 model yet?

Are there any other Android devices that will run GP that would be a good replacement for the N7?

Looks like the 2013 and 16GB new is around $200.

What's a comparable iDevice? I see there are quite a few to choose from.

Plus - any news on a new N7 model yet?

Are there any other Android devices that will run GP that would be a good replacement for the N7?
$169, for a refurbished Nexus 7.

Comparable iThingy is the Mini, with an inferior display, frustrating OS, and a price tag 300% higher.

When you can buy three Nexus 7s for the price of one MiniPad, you know you've stepped through the looking glass.

The new Nexus is going to be the Nexus 9, due out next week. I'm going to look at it, but that's probably too bug for my use.

Comparable iThingy is the Mini, with an inferior display, frustrating OS, and a price tag 300% higher.

When you can buy three Nexus 7s for the price of one MiniPad, you know you've stepped through the looking glass.

The new Nexus is going to be the Nexus 9, due out next week. I'm going to look at it, but that's probably too bug for my use.

Hmmm - I'm not going to be getting anything for at least a couple days, maybe I'll check out the N9. I don't carry it with me unless I toss it in a backpack/bag or my headset bag so size isn't that big a deal. Normally it's sitting on a table or desk or in flight on my lap or the seat next to me. But a 9 will have trouble fitting in that headset bag when I'm carrying it around.

edit: $400 - I think I've seen enough.

https://play.google.com/store/devic...na-us-sem&utm_medium=desktop&utm_content=bkws

it looks like they are getting away from the 7. Too bad, it's about the perfect size:

https://play.google.com/store/devices

Looks like I'll be trying to find an N7 (2013) new or refurb.

Last edited:

I found a new one, $175, marked down from $230 (16G). The 32G is $230 on sale from $270. BestBuy.com.

Maybe next week prices will go down even more.

edit: since mine is dead, I don't even know how much RAM it had. I do have the original box, somewhere, maybe I can find it this weekend.

Jay, what's the RAM on yours?

--

And does the 2013 include GPS?

Last edited:
N7 2013 has gps, also at Amazon for $299/32gb. Apple ipads need cellular or external gps.

N7 2013 has gps, also at Amazon for $299/32gb. Apple ipads need cellular or external gps.
I double checked - my N7 v1 is/was 32G. I just saw a refurb 32G v1 for $126.

That N7 is a heckuva deal since it includes GPS. But it really looks like it's getting pushed aside next week by the N9. Will have to check sale prices closely.

Best Buy has the 2014 Samsung tab pro 8.4 for $280. Only 16gb but has gps and takes up 64gb SD micro cards. Tempting me to replace my N7 2013.

Best Buy has the 2014 Samsung tab pro 8.4 for $280. Only 16gb but has gps and takes up 64gb SD micro cards. Tempting me to replace my N7 2013.
hmm.. I've only heard of people running GarminPilot on iThings and the Nexus. I haven't been looking at anything else.

hmm.. I've only heard of people running GarminPilot on iThings and the Nexus. I haven't been looking at anything else.

Garmin Pilot will run on any Android device. Even your phone.

If you've got room for the bigger display, and don't mind the "too big to fit in your cargo pocket" size, the new Nexus 9 looks like it will be awesome.

In the middle of page 56 in this thread Brian and John have pictures of GP on their Samsungs.

Looked at the 8.4 yesterday and it seems large when compared with my N7.

I'm going to give the N7 resurrection one last try tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll get a new N7 (2013) on sale someplace.

I've checked in at a couple of Android developer forums, seems the consensus so far is still h/w failure.

Next one might be another brand 8, 9 or 10" but for now I think I'll stick with what I know that works for me.

I'm going to give the N7 resurrection one last try tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll get a new N7 (2013) on sale someplace.

I've checked in at a couple of Android developer forums, seems the consensus so far is still h/w failure.

Next one might be another brand 8, 9 or 10" but for now I think I'll stick with what I know that works for me.

Just in case it influences your decision, I run GP on my Samsung Note 10.1 (2012 edition) and also my Samsung S4 Mini phone, with no problems. So my opinion is that as long as you stay with one of the major mainstream brands, you'd be fine.

Just in case it influences your decision, I run GP on my Samsung Note 10.1 (2012 edition) and also my Samsung S4 Mini phone, with no problems. So my opinion is that as long as you stay with one of the major mainstream brands, you'd be fine.
Thanks.

The deal is - I know what I am getting with the N7 since I've used one for so long. Plus, it's really hard to beat the price of the N7.

Back