Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Thanks.

The deal is - I know what I am getting with the N7 since I've used one for so long. Plus, it's really hard to beat the price of the N7.
Agreed. At their current price, the Nexus 7 is almost disposable.

Especially when compared to the ridiculously over-priced iPad.

Have the Garmin Pilot features on the Android platform caught up to the iPad version? That is why I dropped the Nexus in the first place. I actually found the N7 easier to read in a bright cockpit.

Have the Garmin Pilot features on the Android platform caught up to the iPad version? That is why I dropped the Nexus in the first place. I actually found the N7 easier to read in a bright cockpit.
I don't have the iVersion, but from what I've heard about it, it's still several steps ahead of the Android version.

I was just looking at the Samsung Galaxy S 8.4. Nice. Might have to look more seriously at it. But, I've had a tablet now for a couple of years, and it's been the N7 and there is a lot of bang for the buck with that one. For how I use it, it's a very good fit. There are times I wish I had a larger screen, but not enough to trade off that smaller form factor.

It's funny - a couple years ago there was no reason at all for me to have one, now I really miss it!

edit: Does the 2013 version have the 4-pin charging port? I already have the docking thing.

Last edited:
No, and I'm still ticked off about that omission.
huh. That seems like a pretty big loss.

--

I've been looking online today - and it seems like the vendors really don't know what models they have. I've seen some that SAY it's a 2013, but when you look at the fine print, turns out it isn't. It looks like they still have the 2013 for $229 pretty much wherever you look online. I figured the price would go down a little, now that it's been discontinued and the N9 is out for ordering now (at almost double the price of the N7).

Once the N7 isn't available anymore, I'm thinking the Samsung tabs might take over as the best $-to-features deal.

Thanks.

The deal is - I know what I am getting with the N7 since I've used one for so long. Plus, it's really hard to beat the price of the N7.

Before you buy, check back with me. I have a pristine N7 2013 edition that probably had less than three hours use on it. It's been a backup so on time was limited to chart updates, otherwise it's been powered off. Only recharged 3 or 4 times since new. Make an offer.

Edit: 32G version

Before you buy, check back with me. I have a pristine N7 2013 edition that probably had less than three hours use on it. It's been a backup so on time was limited to chart updates, otherwise it's been powered off. Only recharged 3 or 4 times since new. Make an offer.

Edit: 32G version

Cool - that's what I'm looking for. Will PM or something, but don't hold it just for me!

Last edited:
Damned with faint praise, as they say.

I have NO idea why Google is eliminating the 7" tablet. It is the perfect form factor, as proven by Apple being driven to introduce the Mini in response to the Nexus 7.

This stupid decision will ultimately force me off of the Nexus bandwagon, when my Nexus 7 eventually breaks, which is a shame. It's great being at the front of the line with the latest/greatest Android updates, which you lose by buying a Samsung (or other brand) tablet.

... This stupid decision will ultimately force me off of the Nexus bandwagon, when my Nexus 7 eventually breaks, which is a shame. ...
Yup. Me, too. When my original N7 dies, I'll hit CraigsList for the 2013 model. When that dies, I'll just hope that there is another Nexus tablet with approximately the same form factor. If not, ... I dunno. I don't want one that is cafeteria tray size.

I have a feeling that with phones getting so large, the manufacturers are skipping that 7" size and going straight to the 8"+. That's too bad. That size is the perfect intermediate size between a phone and a tablet, without it there's a pretty good gap. I'll bet $$$ is what's driving it, the N9 is about double the list price of the N7.

I have a feeling that with phones getting so large, the manufacturers are skipping that 7" size and going straight to the 8"+. That's too bad. That size is the perfect intermediate size between a phone and a tablet, without it there's a pretty good gap. I'll bet $$$ is what's driving it, the N9 is about double the list price of the N7.
Bingo! They probably realized the profit margin on the N7 was too small.

Just tried garmin pilot on a nexus 9. *sigh*

"Unfortunately, Garmin Pilot has stopped." Doesn't even start... just that, and then back to the home screen.

anyone get it to work?

Bummer. I was seriously contemplating getting one of these with the primary reason being to run Garmin Pilot.

It'll be awesome when they fix it. I like the screen size, and it's -fast-.

But yeah... right now, not so much.

Just tried garmin pilot on a nexus 9. *sigh*

"Unfortunately, Garmin Pilot has stopped." Doesn't even start... just that, and then back to the home screen.

anyone get it to work?

Wait -- the Nexus 9 is out and available? I thought they were still taking pre-orders?

So GP won't run on the latest version of Android? Damn.

The nexus 9 is available, but finding one takes some work. I put my preorder in when amazon opened them up.. Oct 16? And then Nov 3 comes and no nexus. From what I could find on the 'net, very few people were getting tablets from Amazon. I waited a day to see what would happen and then cancelled the order and got it directly from Google. Paid sales tax and $20 overnight shipping, but I got it.

I know some aren't fans of the larger size, but reading say, an A/FD page on this is going to be MUCH easier for my 40+ year old eyes. The best part though is the 3D performance. Every one of my favorite apps is much improved. Garmin Pilot on the N7 was slow, and became slower after an update (I think it was to the vector maps). Hopefully it'll be faster on the N9.

Last edited:
Does the Nexus 9 support wireless charging? That's one of the nicest features about the Nexus 7, IMHO.

PIREP

Just got back from a 860 n.m. round trip and can report GP ran good on the S5 smartphone. No drops, no hang ups.

The only squawk I had was winds aloft wouldn't work for me, but that may have just been me and not GP. The new connext update for the GDL-39 worked better than previous versions. There are quite a few tweaks to GP that need to be worked out pre-flight. (for me anyway ..):redface:

Palo Duro Canyon off the left wing.:)

Amazon claims in stock and prime two day delivery along with owner reviews.

Yeah, I've seen reviews of the Nexus 9, but not from pilots. We have a fairly unique set of requirements.

I was presuming we were beyond that glitch. No?

Still no update in the play store for Garmin Pilot, and it'll probably take that to fix this. Every other app I've tried works fine. This version of android introduced the new runtime (and tons of other stuff), so Garmin probably just needs some time to adapt.

It does bug me a bit that developers apparently didn't get a development version earlier (I'm not counting the virtual machine), but whatyagonnado. It's not really Garmin's fault, and it's not really Google's... patience, grasshopper. :)

(But it's fast, and it's enough bigger that it's going to be a different experience. Looking forward to it.)

Still no update in the play store for Garmin Pilot, and it'll probably take that to fix this. Every other app I've tried works fine. This version of android introduced the new runtime (and tons of other stuff), so Garmin probably just needs some time to adapt.

That's interesting... I've been using ART on my N7 since KitKat was out and Garmin Pilot works flawlessly (and noticeably faster than on Dalvik). I wonder what changes broke it in Lollipop. Hopefully they will fix it quickly, as Android 5.0 update will probably start hitting N7 in the coming week or two.

I just saw, on the red board, someone with the same GP problem on his N9. He said Garmin is aware of it and expects a new release soon.

This crap is why I went with iFly instead of Garmin Pilot. Garmin dumps unlimited resources into their apple application and squat for android users.

Back