Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

How do you get the GDL-39 to connect to the Nexus-7 -- the "classic one", not the new Nexus?

I push the button, get the blue light to flash, discover the GDL from the Nexus, and informed by the Nexus that the units are paired. However, Garmin pilot still says "connecting" and I never get the steady blue light. The flashing goes out in a few minutes and all I have is the green. After a while, Pilot gives up and tells me there is a connection problem. Is there a way to make it work? Is there a secret Android version of the GDL-39? What am I missing?

How do you get the GDL-39 to connect to the Nexus-7 -- the "classic one", not the new Nexus?

I push the button, get the blue light to flash, discover the GDL from the Nexus, and informed by the Nexus that the units are paired. However, Garmin pilot still says "connecting" and I never get the steady blue light. The flashing goes out in a few minutes and all I have is the green. After a while, Pilot gives up and tells me there is a connection problem. Is there a way to make it work? Is there a secret Android version of the GDL-39? What am I missing?

Paul - there is another thread floating around here about an firmware update to work with the new Nexus. Perhaps doing that update will help. Search "Garmin Pilot Android". I will see if I can find the link.

Look 8 or so posts upstream for a potential answer. You prolly need to do a firmware update on your GDL-39.

Like always... Jay is on his A game...

Thanks, but I'm confused. I thought the firmware update was only needed for the new Nexus. Do you mean that the GDL-39 always required the owner to play Boy Electrician to make it work? Or, did Garmin also mess up the GDL-39 at the same time Google was tinkering with the Nexus? Why can't those blasted computer monkeys just make something that works, and NEVER change it except to fix bugs?

In any case, it's all too much hassle -- I'll probably ship the GDL-39 back as defective and stick with XM weather until someone makes an ADS-B solution I can trust. If I screw with the firmware, I probably can't return the wretched thing.

Thanks, but I'm confused. I thought the firmware update was only needed for the new Nexus. Do you mean that the GDL-39 always required the owner to play Boy Electrician to make it work? Or, did Garmin also mess up the GDL-39 at the same time Google was tinkering with the Nexus? Why can't those blasted computer monkeys just make something that works, and NEVER change it except to fix bugs?

In any case, it's all too much hassle -- I'll probably ship the GDL-39 back as defective and stick with XM weather until someone makes an ADS-B solution I can trust. If I screw with the firmware, I probably can't return the wretched thing.

I never had a lick of trouble connecting the "legacy Nexus 7" with the GDL-39, at least not in the last dozen or so iterations of Garmin Pilot. With mine, after the first time connecting, it was pretty much automatic each time.

Without knowing the age of your GDL-39's firmware, or what version of Garmin Pilot you're running, a firmware update just seemed like a logical first step, since it fixed everything for me. Your problem could be a jillion things, frankly, and the only way to troubleshoot it is to, well, troubleshoot it.

If it's worth paying XM a monthly fee so that you don't have to troubleshoot your Bluetooth connectivity issue, by all means return the GDL-39. That seems a bit drastic, to me, but YMMV.

As I learned, updating the GDL-39's firmware is not hard to do, if you download the free Garmin app.

(NA)
I have a question regarding the N7.

When I swipe to the various app. screens on the OS ( I think there are 5 with the home screen being the 'center'): I cannot complete a 'loop'. In other words, if I swipe twice to the left, I must swipe to the right if I want to get to a app on that 'side'.

Is there a way or setting that I can scroll through the screens without hitting a dead end?

On my GS4 phone, I can loop through.

(sorry for layman/incorrect terminology, but it's all i could think of)

Badger,

I don't think it is possible with the default Home Screen Launcher. But you can download "other" launchers from the Google Play store that have that functionality. I know that Nova Launcher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher ) has it, and may be Go Launcher ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex ). Both of which are highly rated. If you have a lot of Folders and customizations done on your home screens, you'll have to re-create them with the new launcher.

--
Michael

When I first got my Nexus 7 (2012) I enthusiastically set up all those different home screens. One for flying, one for media, one for social networking, etc.

Then, I discovered folders. Over time, everything got pared down to the point where I don't even have half of one screen filled with app folders anymore -- one for flying, one for news, etc..

Those are the "go-to" apps that I use daily.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael.
I'll check those out.

I'm a bit surprised that the home screens function like this, but I suppose they have a reason for it.

Thanks Michael.
I'll check those out.

I'm a bit surprised that the home screens function like this, but I suppose they have a reason for it.

My GS4 doesn't loop -- weird!

I'm US Cellular if that matters? I don't see why it would.
I'm running 4.2.2 It has always looped since new.

Verizon Wireless 4.2.2 -- Interesting, but not surprising. Funny enough, the wife and kids' S3s all have looping homescreens.

Verizon Wireless 4.2.2 -- Interesting, but not surprising. Funny enough, the wife and kids' S3s all have looping homescreens.

The official Android launcher doesn't loop.

The Galaxy S3 does not run the official Android launcher. I don't know if Verizon actually sells any devices which do (the last one they sold which did was likely the Galaxy Nexus).

When rebranding Android it seems like the launcher is the first thing everybody changes.

Jay,

In the spirit of your useful post, I am going to try to give back by describing my ADS-B and XM experiences.

Getting back to my non-functional GDL-39, I remembered that I had a suitable power supply at home for bench testing, so I installed the Garmin Pilot utility app and checked the firmware on the GDL-39. It was 2.80, so I figured the unit was indeed defective. However, since the GDL-39 already had that firmware installed, I figured that there would be no warranty/return issues if I did the update. As you note, the firmware update takes place under software control - I'd expected something failure-prone like flashing a ROM.

Once updated, the unit began working as it should. I was able to pick up a ground station from my kitchen and verified full operation. Perhaps the unit had shipped with a corrupted version of 2.80. In any case, your fix worked! Thanks, Jay!

I used it on yesterday's flight. The quality of the NEXRAD using XM is just as good as that on the ground with Garmin Link. In contrast, the ADS-B is quite a bit degraded and uses a different intensity scale. On the other hand, the Baron weather display does not allow multiple overlays at the same time, whereas the ADS-B display does and it is good to see station weather, TFRs, and NEXRAD all superimposed.

I've been using XM for seven years and the NEXRAD quality is better, so continuing with it would not be a drastic choice. When Anywhere Map discontinued updating approach plates for my PDA, I was forced to buy an Android or ipad and a Baron Mobile Link to connect them.

My reasons for buying the GDL-39 were that my Baron Mobile Link has been blowing fuses on nearly every flight for the past few months and Garmin does not seem to be supporting it as well as they do the ADS-B. Also, switching to ADS-B from NEXRAD is like buying a $700 security with a 50% annual return on investment - a strong ROI case, indeed. Finally, my XM receiver is seven years old, and I suspect that I am not going to get another seven years out of it.

It's possible that I also managed to solve the fuse problem on the Mobile Link, so I may have two good systems. I'll fly with both for a few days and decide which is the one to keep.

Paul

Abreviated PIREP.... I finally received my Nexus 7 FHD 32gb yesterday after waiting basically 3 weeks. (I ordered as soon as I got home from Oshkosh)

Out of the box, the GPS would not work. It showed the GPS crosshairs icon but the bullseye in the middle would continue blinking and eventually disappear even though I was using apps that were requesting GPS location (Avare and Google Maps).

I did the mandatory update and voila! GPS started working immediately. I had Avare running on my commute home from work and the GPS seemed to be working fine.

So far, I like it. The screen is just slightly smaller than I'd like for reading approach plates, but the high resolution screen makes up for it.

A new, curious issue has just popped up this morning as I write this. Google Services keeps crashing, automatically restarting, and almost immediately crashing again. Each time, I get a popup window that asks me to Report the problem or just hit Ok. It has basically rendered the device unusable with the constant popups.

I was able to fix this just now by going to Settings > apps, and manually force stopping all the Google Services (google location, etc.)

So far, this Tablet feels like it is a little half-baked and was rushed to market before all the little kinks were worked out....

a little half-baked and was rushed to market before all the little kinks were worked out...
That is the Google Way. If you want to see a real mess check out the scripting language for Google Calc. It can't even copy and insert a row in the spreadsheet --after five years.

Funny, I have had no trouble with Google Services, but the internal GPS is still spotty. Since I Bluetooth to the GDL-39 in the plane, which in addition to being an ADS-B receiver is also a GPS, this has become a non-issue for me.

Given the loud outcry from many users, however, I would expect some sort of a patch from Google or ASUS soon.

BTW: the new Nexus 7 (2013) supports wireless charging. Just lay the tablet on the plate, and charge your tablet.

This arrived in the mail today, and seems to work perfectly. No more hunting for that danged little micro-USB port!

Koolpad Qi Wireless Charger Pad for All Qi Compatible Devices Including Samsung Phones with Receivers (White)
Fonesalesman

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQCUVPI/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_at_ws_us?ie=UTF8

And the wireless pad charges the Nexus 7 at the rate of 2% per minute, which is excellent.

And the wireless pad charges the Nexus 7 at the rate of 2% per minute, which is excellent.

So 120% in an hour?! :D

I may have to try the pad...seems convenient. Does the S4 phone support that? I'm thinking of getting the S4 next time. My son just got one and loves it.

I may have to try the pad...seems convenient. Does the S4 phone support that? I'm thinking of getting the S4 next time. My son just got one and loves it.

The S4 is a great phone; best I've ever owned by far (coming from the Galaxy Nexus) - It does indeed support wireless charging, though I don't really have much use for that feature. As a bonus, the S4 battery is excellent.

Yep, if you just leave it on the pad, eventually you can use it to power a small city! :D

Seriously, I have wireless charging on my S3 (using the excellent Duracell Powermat system) and now wireless charging for the Nexus 7, and love it. The only downside -- the two systems aren't compatible. I can't put the N7 on the S3's charge pad, or vice versa.

Woot! Google's OTA Android OS update just fixed the internal GPS problem with the new Nexus 7 (2013).

Dang....hasn't been rolled to mine yet.

:mad2:

It now locks on indoors (like the old N7) and stays locked. This alone is a huge improvement.

I haven't tried it with any apps yet, but the forums are full of happy people who have. I hope this is behind us, cuz it was a real deal killer for many people.

It now locks on indoors (like the old N7) and stays locked. This alone is a huge improvement.

I haven't tried it with any apps yet, but the forums are full of happy people who have. I hope this is behind us, cuz it was a real deal killer for many people.

I keep checking for the update, but am still frowning!

I keep checking for the update, but am still frowning!

They roll these updates out slowly. If you can't wait, Google around for a way to force the N7 to update the OS. I did it once, when I got tired of waiting for Jelly Bean, and it worked -- but I can't remember the exact procedure.

They roll these updates out slowly. If you can't wait, Google around for a way to force the N7 to update the OS. I did it once, when I got tired of waiting for Jelly Bean, and it worked -- but I can't remember the exact procedure.

Yeah, I've been checking on that....looks like a pain. Ticks me off that they are so slow about it. Heck, I've had mine longer than you, yet you've had the update for a day! Curious as to the algorithm they use to allocate updates.

Yeah, I've been checking on that....looks like a pain. Ticks me off that they are so slow about it. Heck, I've had mine longer than you, yet you've had the update for a day! Curious as to the algorithm they use to allocate updates.

Actually, it wasn't too terrible. If I remember right, you go to Google Services, force stop them, and clear the cache -- but there's probably more to it than that.

All I remember is being astounded when, after rebooting, the procedure worked, and the N7 went straight into the OS update mode. It always amazes me that there are people out there who just intuit their way through these problems, and find such innovative solutions.

I don't know how they decide who gets it first, but the concept is to roll it out to larger and larger groups. The main reason for this is so that if it turns out the update breaks something in rare circumstances they end up breaking a few devices and not tens of thousands of them. If they don't get any complaints they keep rolling it out. I'm pretty sure Apple does the same thing, but in general iOS locks down the OS a lot more so they aren't worried about people with different launchers, etc.

I don't know how they decide who gets it first, but the concept is to roll it out to larger and larger groups. The main reason for this is so that if it turns out the update breaks something in rare circumstances they end up breaking a few devices and not tens of thousands of them. If they don't get any complaints they keep rolling it out. I'm pretty sure Apple does the same thing, but in general iOS locks down the OS a lot more so they aren't worried about people with different launchers, etc.

A solution to that would be to have a rollback option to the previous release.

FYI: the Garmin Pilot app now shows me walking around the house at 2 knots. lol!

Methinks the GPS is fixed. :D

Last edited:
A solution to that would be to have a rollback option to the previous release.

Sure, assuming your phone gives you anything other than a blank screen when you turn it on. It is hard to update an operating system if you don't have a working operating system. Obviously great care is taken to avoid this, but part of this care is rolling out OS changes slowly.

Images of updates usually get posted online fairly quickly, so if you unlock the bootloader (a vendor-supported feature on the Nexus devices) you can install the updates via fastboot or recovery if you need them faster. Of course, if the device doesn't boot when you're done then you get to be the one to fix it...

I do think Google could stand to roll updates out a bit faster, but I can hardly blame them for taking their time when they're the ones who'll end up fedexing new devices to replace any they end up breaking.

Sure, assuming your phone gives you anything other than a blank screen when you turn it on. It is hard to update an operating system if you don't have a working operating system. Obviously great care is taken to avoid this, but part of this care is rolling out OS changes slowly.

Images of updates usually get posted online fairly quickly, so if you unlock the bootloader (a vendor-supported feature on the Nexus devices) you can install the updates via fastboot or recovery if you need them faster. Of course, if the device doesn't boot when you're done then you get to be the one to fix it...

I do think Google could stand to roll updates out a bit faster, but I can hardly blame them for taking their time when they're the ones who'll end up fedexing new devices to replace any they end up breaking.

Wouldn't they just use the same boot override and add an option to "restore previous image"?

It's been three days and still no sign of the update. I have a support case number and sent them a note on it asking about the delayed rollout, but no response yet. You'd think when they have a database of people who've reported an issue, they could figure out how to include those user's devices in the earliest rollout before sending it to devices that never encountered the problems.

Overall, I'm not impressed with Google's support.

Back