Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

I have an app for that, too. It's packaged in a green binder, about the size of what used to be called a 'paperback book'. You have to flip through 'pages' to find your airport. It doesn't use batteries, which is nice. And it doesn't have a back light, so it's doesn't work well in the dark. I does have a daylight readable display, though. It doesn't have automatic updates. Each time there is an update, you have to manually swap out the whole database, and it costs about $6 or so. On the good side, it seems pretty robust - I've dropped mine a couple of times and seen no visible damage.

:D can you also play games with it?
great post!

I have an app for that, too. It's packaged in a green binder, about the size of what used to be called a 'paperback book'. You have to flip through 'pages' to find your airport. It doesn't use batteries, which is nice. And it doesn't have a back light, so it's doesn't work well in the dark. I does have a daylight readable display, though. It doesn't have automatic updates. Each time there is an update, you have to manually swap out the whole database, and it costs about $6 or so. On the good side, it seems pretty robust - I've dropped mine a couple of times and seen no visible damage.

:D can you also play games with it?

It's pretty much a dedicated device. I haven't seen anything on the Apple or Google stores that's been written for it yet.

It has a pretty good wireless system. You don't need to be connected to any networks to use it, either!

Would be nice if Garmin added a documentation feature like other apps have, then you could load your own A/FD, and other documents. Of course, a built in PDF reader would also be handy instead of another app for the current PDF non-approach plate information.

I have it too on the Nexus. It requires one (while flying) to go into another app, perhaps enter the airport identifier of the field you are interested in, and find the info. I think Pilot could have the A/FD available as an option on the split screen. Simply touch a airport and in the circle of options, the A/FD is a choice. Much easier than sending the user to another app.

When you long touch the airport on the sectional screen it brings up a selectable information page that tells you runways, frequencies, FBOs, etc. I've found this to be perfectly wonderful, and haven't missed an AFD.

In fact, I haven't used an AFD since we got our 496, six or seven years ago. Everything I need is in the app.

Jay, is traffic pattern direction available in that info?

Badger -

At least on the one airport near me that does have RP on one rwy, the info does NOT show up.

The info shows on the sectional, the info does show on the published A/FD. However, on the GarminPilot, when you touch on the airport symbol to get the airport info, I do not see any mention. There is also a "More Information" button that brings up another page of info, maybe from the AOPA Database, that does not show right traffic either. When I go to the AOPA website to view the airport information, it does show RP for that rwy.

The one airport I looked up: KLRY

By the way - I got an answer back from Garmin about the altitude differences we've been seeing. Unfortunately, they misunderstood my question and answered a question I didn't ask (I know why a GPS might display a different altitude than a barometric altimeter). I rephrased the question and e-mailed back.

By the way - I got an answer back from Garmin about the altitude differences we've been seeing. Unfortunately, they misunderstood my question and answered a question I didn't ask (I know why a GPS might display a different altitude than a barometric altimeter). I rephrased the question and e-mailed back.

Let us know if Russ from Garmin answers it, he seems to be all of their technical support!

Jay, is traffic pattern direction available in that info?

Nope its STILL not available. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I alerted Garmin of this in Oshkosh 2012 and they said they were working on it. I think its rediculous that they don't have this basic data point. Who is their product manager!???

Nope its STILL not available. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I alerted Garmin of this in Oshkosh 2012 and they said they were working on it. I think its rediculous that they don't have this basic data point. Who is their product manager!???

It seems they think that having that info on the sectional should suffice. I disagree.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

It's pretty much a dedicated device. I haven't seen anything on the Apple or Google stores that's been written for it yet.

It has a pretty good wireless system. You don't need to be connected to any networks to use it, either!

They can be used like a notepad app in a pinch.

Flew about four hours with the latest update over the last few days. The GDL-39 disconnected from the Nexus 7 four separate times in flight.

This is Bravo Sierra. Garmin needs to get this bluetooth s$!t fixed. I bluetooth the N7 to everything else, flawlessly.

Flew about four hours with the latest update over the last few days. The GDL-39 disconnected from the Nexus 7 four separate times in flight.

This is Bravo Sierra. Garmin needs to get this bluetooth s$!t fixed. I bluetooth the N7 to everything else, flawlessly.

Hi Jay -- been a way for a bit. Do you know if this issue with the 39 also exists on the Apple platforms?

Hi Jay -- been a way for a bit. Do you know if this issue with the 39 also exists on the Apple platforms?

I don't know. All I know is that Bluetooth is a mature technology that I use every day. There is no excuse for an aviation BT device to be this hinky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I use the GDL-39 on an iPad Mini(I really bought it for WingX for SAR stuff, planned to use my Nexus 7 3G for Garmin Pilot)

My last 2x 3 hour flights the iPad Garmin Pilot app crashed once per flight, but the GDL-39 connection was rock solid.

The Nexus 7 running 4.2.1(I think) can't even connect 98% of the time any more. I'm hoping for an upgrade to make it work or I'll swap it for something else Android one of these days.

I don't know. All I know is that Bluetooth is a mature technology that I use every day. There is no excuse for an aviation BT device to be this hinky.

I use the GDL-39 on an iPad Mini(I really bought it for WingX for SAR stuff, planned to use my Nexus 7 3G for Garmin Pilot)

My last 2x 3 hour flights the iPad Garmin Pilot app crashed once per flight, but the GDL-39 connection was rock solid.

The Nexus 7 running 4.2.1(I think) can't even connect 98% of the time any more. I'm hoping for an upgrade to make it work or I'll swap it for something else Android one of these days.

Thank you. The reason for my question is that I am personally tired of waiting for the Android version of Pilot to keep catching up with the iOS version. I have it running on an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. The last round of updates for the iOS version are sweet and it will probably be months before the Nexus version shows up. Since the major switching costs for these apps is the hardware (antennae and platform), I want to make sure before I buy anything else - including the renewal of the app.

I also am running ForeFlight on the iPad and with the latest Status antennae, the game is changing again. :hairraise:

This is not, repeat, NOT an Android or Nexus 7 problem. This is entirely, 100% a Garmin problem.

I have products made by Logitech, Motorola, and others that have no problem connecting -- and remaining connected -- to my Nexus 7.

Thank you. The reason for my question is that I am personally tired of waiting for the Android version of Pilot to keep catching up with the iOS version. I have it running on an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. The last round of updates for the iOS version are sweet and it will probably be months before the Nexus version shows up. Since the major switching costs for these apps is the hardware (antennae and platform), I want to make sure before I buy anything else - including the renewal of the app.

I also am running ForeFlight on the iPad and with the latest Status antennae, the game is changing again. :hairraise:

The game continues to evolve, and fast. I am perfectly happy with the Garmin Pilot app for Android -- it does everything my 496 does, and more, and better, and for free. And I love the Nexus 7.

What am REALLY tired of is Garmin's inability to master Bluetooth technology. Maybe connecting GPS via Bluetooth is harder than high fidelity music, but I doubt it.

Of course, if you're not using the GDL-39 for weather and traffic, you don't need Bluetooth at all. So, for those of you reading this thread, on the fence with buying a Nexus 7, let's be clear: This Bluetooth bug has NO impact on the usability of Garmin Pilot. It only impacts the ability to receive traffic and weather updates from the separate GDL-39 receiver.

If you don't have the GDL-39, this is a non-issue.

That's my concern Jay, I'm ready to make the next level of commitment on this technology (stepping up to traffic and weather) but issues like you are experiencing have me concerned.

I was hoping to use the portable version of this technology until the major players figure out the final ADSB solution. I just received an email from Aspen that mentioned something about their new ADSB hardware providing support for tablets. Will check that out and report back. It is almost guaranteed not be on the Garmin Pilot platform (my guess).

I have products made by Logitech, Motorola, and others that have no problem connecting -- and remaining connected -- to my Nexus 7.

How many of those use the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile/RFCOMM?

I'll admit I haven't tried my Garmin GLO, or my serial port adapter but those would be an interesting crosscheck if I get some time this weekend.

Back to a previous topic: I did ask Garmin why their altitude reporting was consistently lower than other apps running on the same N7, and also compared to their other handhelds.

They answered back something about the difference that barometric pressure can make when comparing the GPS to an altimeter. I tried to explain again what I was asking, but I haven't heard back.

If any of you want to rephrase the question and ask them yourselves, be my guest.

WingX had some cool features added in their last version. Hope Pilot can get ideas!

Back to a previous topic: I did ask Garmin why their altitude reporting was consistently lower than other apps running on the same N7, and also compared to their other handhelds.

They answered back something about the difference that barometric pressure can make when comparing the GPS to an altimeter. I tried to explain again what I was asking, but I haven't heard back.

If any of you want to rephrase the question and ask them yourselves, be my guest.

I watched it for a while in flight on Sunday, and it was off by less that 100' when compared to the altimeter. IMHO, that ranks as "close enough" for a reading that I would never use for any flight critical purpose.

The pic someone posted regarding the airport overlay looked intriguing. I find the circles of selectible info a bit too small for my pudgy fingers.

I watched it for a while in flight on Sunday, and it was off by less that 100' when compared to the altimeter. IMHO, that ranks as "close enough" for a reading that I would never use for any flight critical purpose.

And I flew Monday night. At 2500' it was showing 2200'.

Ah ha! Maybe this explains it! Does the iPad have this built in? Anyone know?

Nope - that does don't explain it. Turn on GarminPilot on an N7, let it stabilize, then record the altitude. Exit the Garmin app, start the GPSTest app, let it stabilize, then record the altitude. Do this in the comfort of your own home, no need to burn avgas for this test.

My experience mirrors others. The GarminPilot app reports lower than the GPSTest app using the same hardware, by about 150' in my case. I don't see how barometric pressure has anything to do with this, both apps are using the same built-in GPS.

I used a Garmin car GPS and local topo map for a reference. The car GPS wasa very close to right on, and the GPSTest app was a little low, but GarminPilot was well low compared to the others.

Personally, as long as the ground speed calculations are accurate I'll be happy. But it sure is odd that two apps using the same hardware report different results.

Last edited:
Just flew for about an hour this afternoon - first time my N7 has lost a GPS signal (internal GPS). It worked for the first 20 minutes, then couldn't get a lock after that.

I had to revert to looking out the window. It was touch and go for a while.

Just got my Nexus today and loaded Garmin. Is there a trick to having more than one layer on at a time? Seems only one is the way it's working now - not ideal.....:rolleyes2:
Sure like it so far. Flew to work in San Jose this morning. Kinda miss the Vnav and airspace popup warnings from my 396 though....

Last edited:

Bluetooth is designed to lose to interference, just like all Part 15 devices...

Did the disconnects correlate with VHF transmissions?

A 5W VHF AM radio nearby in a spam can could easily be throwing completely legal side-lobes that'd wipe out the BT receiver's front-end...

Especially if it has a crappy one which is pretty likely..,

The disconnects would likely be slightly time delayed behind the VHF transmissions since the protocol needs time to notice it lost the digital stream and drop the connection and reestablish it.

Could also be the transponder responding, or DME pinging the ground station (which is nothing more than a ground-based transponder... bent-piped back to the aircraft...)...

Try killing the other avionics that transmit and see if your BT problems go away. Also kill the strobes if that doesn't work...

And of course there is all the other crap in the BT unlicensed spectrum, all much easier to "hear" from on high in our lofty perches...

Just flew for about an hour this afternoon - first time my N7 has lost a GPS signal (internal GPS). It worked for the first 20 minutes, then couldn't get a lock after that.

I had to revert to looking out the window. It was touch and go for a while.

I'm having the same problem. Searches and searches but no lock. Used to be the best GPS device I owned. Now it's lost in the wilderness.

I'm having the same problem. Searches and searches but no lock. Used to be the best GPS device I owned. Now it's lost in the wilderness.

You need to get that unit fixed/replaced. My new N7 (replaced after Mary shattered my original unit) is just as GPS rock solid as ever.

Bluetooth is designed to lose to interference, just like all Part 15 devices...

Did the disconnects correlate with VHF transmissions?

A 5W VHF AM radio nearby in a spam can could easily be throwing completely legal side-lobes that'd wipe out the BT receiver's front-end...

Especially if it has a crappy one which is pretty likely..,

The disconnects would likely be slightly time delayed behind the VHF transmissions since the protocol needs time to notice it lost the digital stream and drop the connection and reestablish it.

Could also be the transponder responding, or DME pinging the ground station (which is nothing more than a ground-based transponder... bent-piped back to the aircraft...)...

Try killing the other avionics that transmit and see if your BT problems go away. Also kill the strobes if that doesn't work...

And of course there is all the other crap in the BT unlicensed spectrum, all much easier to "hear" from on high in our lofty perches...

Fascinating. I will watch for that!

Back