Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

not exactly related to Garmin Pilot, but:

I just noticed that the Nexus 7 does not come with a camera app! I'm not sure what they were thinking, it has a front camera. I'm off to the 'play' store.

I just noticed that the Nexus 7 does not come with a camera app! I'm not sure what they were thinking, it has a front camera. I'm off to the 'play' store.

I was surprised to see that as well. If you go the Google Play store and search camera, you will find some free apps that will work. I would tell you which one I am using, but I'm on my iPad ;)

Yeah, the N7s forward facing camera was never expected to be used as a "camera" per se, so they did not include a native app.

They quickly discovered that we all wanted a camera app, so they added one in the Play Store.

I was one of them. In retrospect, however, they were right -- there is no reason for a camera app on the N7. What are you gonna do, take pictures over your shoulder? :D

It's great for Skyping, though.

As silly as that may sound it actually works to see the screen when you are trying to photograph over an obstacle/people. But yes, it is over your shoulder....;)

Yeah, the N7s forward facing camera was never expected to be used as a "camera" per se, so they did not include a native app.

They quickly discovered that we all wanted a camera app, so they added one in the Play Store.

I was one of them. In retrospect, however, they were right -- there is no reason for a camera app on the N7. What are you gonna do, take pictures over your shoulder? :D

It's great for Skyping, though.

Jay, Jay, Jay... See what happens when you don't read the manuals?! ;) I actually use the camera on my iPad for bar code reading of food packages for the myfitnesspal app that I use. Same now for the Nexus. Little bit of a challenge but it works. How else can I maintain the 75 lbs. I lost last year? :)

Certainly not by sitting here typing all day long!

Jay, Jay, Jay... See what happens when you don't read the manuals?! ;) I actually use the camera on my iPad for bar code reading of food packages for the myfitnesspal app that I use. Same now for the Nexus. Little bit of a challenge but it works. How else can I maintain the 75 lbs. I lost last year? :)

Certainly not by sitting here typing all day long!

That's what smartphones -- with real cameras -- are good for.

The camera in my Samsung Galaxy S3 is the best digital camera I've owned. Way better than my Canon Power shot SD720 IS.

Jay - I'm a Mooney owner. I spell cheap with a capital "C"... I don't own a smart phone, but my wonderful company lets me use one. So I was indeed disappointed that my Nexus was only capable of doing "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the cheapest Mooney owner of them all?"

Jay - I'm a Mooney owner. I spell cheap with a capital "C"... I don't own a smart phone, but my wonderful company lets me use one. So I was indeed disappointed that my Nexus was only capable of doing "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the cheapest Mooney owner of them all?"

Isn't "cheap Mooney owner" an oxymoron? :D

Isn't "cheap Mooney owner" an oxymoron? :D

In many ways, YES! We are always talking about running lean of peak and saving a few cents per mile and then turn around and spend thousands on speed mods and avionics! We are truly morons... :)

You guys are sick... How can you talk about planes & saving money on the same sentence? Don't happen. Now Sailboat vs PowerBoat? yes...
Just keep the check book close at hand::)

Kind of exciting:
11:35 AMGoogle (GOOG) is believed to be working on a new flagship smartphone and a flagship tablet in its Motorola division. Unlike its Nexus line of devices built by various Android partners, the rumored “X Phone” and “X Tablet” will mark the first time Google controls everything from the device’s hardware to its software. Rumored specs are said to include a top-notch camera and photo software, a bendable display and a high-end ceramic case.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/23/google-x-...25/?utm_source=hubs-footer&utm_medium=article

ForeFlight just issued one...

Kind of exciting:
11:35 AMGoogle (GOOG) is believed to be working on a new flagship smartphone and a flagship tablet in its Motorola division. Unlike its Nexus line of devices built by various Android partners, the rumored “X Phone” and “X Tablet” will mark the first time Google controls everything from the device’s hardware to its software. Rumored specs are said to include a top-notch camera and photo software, a bendable display and a high-end ceramic case.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/23/google-x-...25/?utm_source=hubs-footer&utm_medium=article

Cool. As long as they can maintain the Nexus 7's pricing with the new X Tablet (which really hit the sweet spot, IMHO) they cannot fail.

Just noted - Got Android 4.2.2 update pushed to my Nexus today. So far so good - Pilot still starts right up.

Not a Nexus 7 or Garmin tip, but I have purchased the Duracell Powermat -- a wireless charger -- for my Samsung Galaxy S3. (This system is also available for the iPhone 5.)

It's pretty slick. It comes with a sleek case for the S3 that gives it the ability to inductively charge the phone, simply by laying it on the Powermat.

It accomplishes this by having a micro USB plug built into the case that inserts into the micro USB outlet on the phone. The case has a charging coil built into it, and a magnet. When the phone is properly aligned on the charging mat, it actually magnetically sucks the phone onto it. Slick as hell.

The charger comes with a stand alone "power cell" -- essentially a battery, with a microUSB cord -- that is also wirelessly charged. Mary can throw it in her purse and recharge any Android or Apple device (it also has an Apple wire) from it, as needed.

It's not cheap, at $85, but it's going to be nice to not have to find that damned plug in the dark every night.

Edit: If they made a case for the Nexus 7, there is no reason it could not also be charged wirelessly.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, Someone over on BeechTalk found an issue with the Garmin Geo-Ref data. I think someone said Garmin was notified.

Take a look...
http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=75237

file.php

FYI!

==
Michael

Linky no worky without membership-ee. :D

What's the gist?

From beechtalk

"The GeoREF plate for L35 Big Bear shows the aircraft location considerably south of your actual position. Here is a picture comparing my 530 while I was sitting in the runup area. I checked FF's chart (which I also have geoREFd) and it was accurate so it was not an IPAD GPS issue. "

Here is the quote from the BT forum. The picture shows both the iPad and 530 in the same shot with Garmin Pilot not agreeing.

The GeoREF plate for L35 Big Bear shows the aircraft location considerably south of your actual position. Here is a picture comparing my 530 while I was sitting in the runup area. I checked FF's chart (which I also have geoREFd) and it was accurate so it was not an IPAD GPS issue.

I first noticed this on the approach. I checked it again the next day and found the same issue. Following that geoRef plate would put you right in the mountains north of the field.

==
Michael

Sent from my ThinkPadTablet using Tapatalk HD

Here is the quote from the BT forum. The picture shows both the iPad and 530 in the same shot with Garmin Pilot not agreeing.

==
Michael

Sent from my ThinkPadTablet using Tapatalk HD

Holy crap! That is a MAJOR problem.

I've never seen anything like it down here in South Texas, or any points in between the Gulf and the Canadian border. All of my positions have matched the 496's and my real-life observations. I wonder what's going on with that?

Can someone post the picture? Not likely to sign up for the Beech site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since I'm too cheap to fly to L35 to check in person I see the same error on the Garmin Pilot app on Android when fed from my flight simulator.

Updated PIREP on this ship's power to micro-USB doodad: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J4OTUO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I finally had time to "install" it tonight. Installation, in my case, meant connecting it to the existing power cord under the yoke, left over from an earlier GPS installation. (This 2-wire cord had been cut and capped when we got rid of that GPS.). I used quick disconnect crimp connectors to complete the splice, allowing for easy future removal.

The little plastic box containing the circuitry to step the voltage/amperage down to Android levels is smaller than a pack of smokes, weighs nothing, and was easily zip tied up under the panel. Obviously if you did not have the power cord preinstalled, you would need to splice into a hot wire somewhere.

I turned on the master switch, then the avionics master, and was rewarded by the message "plugged into A/C" when I connected my smartphone. This indicates that it's putting out the full charge that a wall charger puts out (1 - 2 amps) rather than the wimpy computer USB port output (500 milliamps). This should provide the Nexus 7 with a full charge in flight.

For less than $30 bucks, I'm happy. I can now remove my bulky cigar lighter splitter from the panel, and remove the cigar lighter charging cord that was stretched completely across the cockpit.

Last edited:
Holy crap! That is a MAJOR problem.

I've never seen anything like it down here in South Texas, or any points in between the Gulf and the Canadian border. All of my positions have matched the 496's and my real-life observations. I wonder what's going on with that?

Nor have I, but that's what makes this even more insidious....if it can happen to one, what's to say it can't happened to the one you're relying on at the moment to help get through the clag (not that we'd ever relay SOLELY on a non-certified device, of course....but just sayin'....) :hairraise:

Has anybody been able to get a GPS signal on a commercial airline flight?

I could get a signal on the ground. Then I had to turn the nexus off for takeoff. Once we hit 10k feet and I turned it back on, it never would get a lock. This was in a window seat on all 6 flights I took this week.

Has anybody been able to get a GPS signal on a commercial airline flight?

I could get a signal on the ground. Then I had to turn the nexus off for takeoff. Once we hit 10k feet and I turned it back on, it never would get a lock. This was in a window seat on all 6 flights I took this week.

I had to literally hold the Nexus 7 up to the window to get a GPS lock. Commercial aircraft are well shielded.

I figured part of the problem was the system trying to get a lock while moving that fast.

The Nexus doesn't have a display (that I could find) that shows they satellite signals. I happened to have my car nuvi with me, and tried it, too. Even being held against the window it was only able to get one satellite. The thing is, I was able to get a signal when we were sitting on the ground.

What are people using for Nexus 7 suction cup, yoke, or kneeboard mounts? I'm looking at picking up a Nexus 7 soon..... to run Avare. ;)

I found a similar issue with SafeTaxi charts - sitting at KHOU pilot tries to bring up a police heliport SafeTaxi chart and fails.

Back