Garmin just dropped a bomb on the avionics market...

I wonder if this will make the price of the 430 finally tank.
I bet it will, although the 430 is comm too. But maybe the 430 will become the now defunct GX line. Ill put out a standard bid now to anyone, Ill buy your 430 for $1500.

I bet it will, although the 430 is comm too. But maybe the 430 will become the now defunct GX line. Ill put out a standard bid now to anyone, Ill buy your 430 for $1500.

I'm part 91, so I'll take the new 375 with the GTR200 all day long over the 430, especially at that price.

Isn’t GTR 200 exp only?

If you operate under part 91 there's no requirement for com radios to be TSO'd. So technically not experimental only. I never liked the idea of things being marketed as experimental/certified. TSO or non-TSO and let the installer decide if it's legal.

I wonder how much discount Lynx will have to give to sell their unit

If you operate under part 91 there's no requirement for com radios to be TSO'd. So technically not experimental only. I never liked the idea of things being marketed as experimental/certified. TSO or non-TSO and let the installer decide if it's legal.

Ha. Didn’t know that. Thanks

can you elaborate please? like, all the good bad and ugly? any video of it in action? thanks!

I now have 23 hours behind a set of G3X touches, G5 as well as a GTN 650. I really dig the setup and honestly can't think of anything I would have done different in my cockpit. I don't have any video but I take a lot of pictures in the air. The first pictures is actually the plane flying a fully coupled approach. The next three pictures are typically what I take instead of writing stuff down during the test flights. This part of the flight looks like I was running it hard at 8,500.

I now have 23 hours behind a set of G3X touches, G5 as well as a GTN 650. I really dig the setup and honestly can't think of anything I would have done different in my cockpit. I don't have any video but I take a lot of pictures in the air. The first pictures is actually the plane flying a fully coupled approach. The next three pictures are typically what I take instead of writing stuff down during the test flights. This part of the flight looks like I was running it hard at 8,500.

Sweet panel and 176 KTAS in a RV10. Nice.

wow, very nice! thanks!

From what I read on beechtalk, the G3X will only interface with a KAP autopilot through a GAD29B per the STC, no getting rid of the KAP attitude gyro.

Will the 7" or 10" give GPSS commands to the listed legacy APs? If so, does it also required the GAD29b to do so?

i ask because if I went 10", my Trutrak instal is out the window....

I had already signed up for tomorrow's webinar, and I do have some questions which I'll list below.

Anyone else have any questions you want me to submit? I'll keep this post edited to have the full list:

1) What differences in capability are there between the G3X Touch and the G500 TXi?
2) With the 10" + 7" package installed, is it possible to switch the 7" display between PFD/MFD and EIS, or is it limited to being one or the other?
3) Are there any options for battery backup?
4) What are the possible options for display backup (ie, can G5 function as a backup AI in this configuration?) EDIT: Yes, it can, found that in the press release.
5) Does the G3X Touch support multiple nav sources?
6) Does adding a FlightStream 510 to the GNX 375 or GPS 175 add anything other than Database Concierge?
7) Can a GMA 350c do any voice control of the G3X Touch?
8) With multiple G3X displays/G5s, do things like altimeter setting automatically flow between them?
9) Is the dual screen 10+7 configuration listed at $14,865 on the web site single or dual AHRS? Any reversionary mode?

Let me know if you have any to add.

Sweet panel and 176 KTAS in a RV10. Nice.

Thanks!

Yah I was pushing hard full throttle, with my RamAir engaged. Had to pull back at that altitude the CHTs on 1,2 & 6 were getting hot hot hot!

I'm part 91, so I'll take the new 375 with the GTR200 all day long over the 430, especially at that price.
You'd still be missing a nav radio, though.

Airhorn? What??? :eek::D

I noticed that, but unless I'm reading things wrong the Garmin website seems to strongly imply that you need Flight Stream for a 345 to feed attitude to a 660 and I thought it very unusual for that not to be the case with the 375.

Where do they "strongly imply" that? I thought that the GTX 345 could provide everything that the FlightStream 510 could with the exception of Database Concierge... But that's why we have the 510.

Where do they "strongly imply" that? I thought that the GTX 345 could provide everything that the FlightStream 510 could with the exception of Database Concierge... But that's why we have the 510.

Nearly. It also doesn't provide syncing flight plans. You need the 510 for that, too. This is what's in my plane...haven't splurged on the 510 yet.

Nearly. It also doesn't provide syncing flight plans. You need the 510 for that, too. This is what's in my plane...haven't splurged on the 510 yet.

Oh yeah. Well, that plus the Database Concierge definitely makes the 510 well worth it!

Oh, and also, the GNX 375 will sync flight plans *without* the 510. It only requires the 510 for Database Concierge.

I'm guessing that means it has Bluetooth built in with all features supported, and that it needs the 510 for WiFi. The 510 has both Bluetooth and WiFi, but only uses the WiFi for Database Concierge.

Oh, and also, the GNX 375 will sync flight plans *without* the 510. It only requires the 510 for Database Concierge.

I'm guessing that means it has Bluetooth built in with all features supported, and that it needs the 510 for WiFi. The 510 has both Bluetooth and WiFi, but only uses the WiFi for Database Concierge.
Any news if it will then be able to crossfill to a 530W? I was thinking about a FS210 and a 345, but if the new box can do the crossfill bit, then it might make sense as an incremental upgrade.

Any news if it will then be able to crossfill to a 530W? I was thinking about a FS210 and a 345, but if the new box can do the crossfill bit, then it might make sense as an incremental upgrade.

There's nothing in the manual about crossfill except a setting to enable it, but it implies that may be related to the G3X Touch? Definitely a good question, I'll add it.

I wonder how much discount Lynx will have to give to sell their unit

If I am understanding all this correctly, The L3 is not comparable to the 175 or the 375. The L3 is a transponder that shows weather and traffic. The 175 and 375, are navigators with which you can fly approaches.

If I am understanding all this correctly, The L3 is not comparable to the 175 or the 375. The L3 is a transponder that shows weather and traffic. The 175 and 375, are navigators with which you can fly approaches.
It would be sort of silly if the GNX 375 GPS/transponder couldn't display ADS-B IN and FIS-B in on the local display since it's advertised as a full IN and OUT capable device. Heck, even the picture on the press release shows both weather and traffic.

Here's how I see it, though. If you're in the market for the L3 Lynx 9000, and you don't already have a WAAS GPS, the 9000 gives you the ADS-B In/Out and a screen to see traffic and weather on. The GNX 375 gives you all that AND a navigator so that you can file direct, fly LPV approaches, and all that good stuff, for not much more money.

If you're trying to equip a plane with a KLN or GX series GPS, or no GPS at all, but good radios, the GNX 375 is a helluva deal.

I agree cheesehead, but I expect you have to buy an indicator and pay for installation of the 375. $7995 for the 375, $1500 or more for an indicator and at least $1000 installation cost. That will push it to over $10,000 or so, putting it in a higher league than the L3.

It would be sort of silly if the GNX 375 GPS/transponder couldn't display ADS-B IN and FIS-B in on the local display since it's advertised as a full IN and OUT capable device. Heck, even the picture on the press release shows both weather and traffic.

It appears that I was not clear. The L3 is a transponder that shows traffic and weather. The 375 is all that PLUS it is a navigator useful for flying approaches. The L3 is NOT a navigator.

375 is IFR GPS + Transponder + ADSB IN/OUT. If I am in market, I will spend few more bucks to get a redundant nav instead just transponder and ADSB

The 375 is a great concept, although it is a single point of failure for two functionalities. No VOR or ILS, but maybe that is not so important anymore for FLIBs.

Oh, well. I got the NGT-9000 and a GNS-430 so I have two screens instead of one and ILS, too. If the 375 was available 6 months ago, it would have been very tempting to replace the aging Mode C transponder although you probably have to commit to Garmin Pilot to get full benefit.

If you're trying to equip a plane with a KLN or GX series GPS, or no GPS at all, but good radios, the GNX 375 is a helluva deal.
Here's what I see: Let's say you need ADS-B out, don't have WAAS and would like ADS-B In. You can spend $5800 for the version of the GTX-345 that has built-in position source or you can cough up an extra $2200 and get LPV approaches. And if you didn't have RNAV before this also adds it.

Oh, and if it's replacing something that hasn't already depreciated down to $0 resale then you might be able to get a portion of that $2200 back as well.

Last edited:

Yes, but likely the 430 will be orphaned pretty soon...

Tempting stuff but I don’t trust my King radios to last too much longer. Still considering GTN 650 and might even go 750.

The 375 is a great concept, although it is a single point of failure for two functionalities. No VOR or ILS, but maybe that is not so important anymore for FLIBs.

You know, we talk an awful lot about failures, and that is important, but sometimes I think we put too much importance on it... Especially since we've been flying behind GPS/Nav/Coms for at least 20 years. And frankly, when worrying about failures, the transponder doesn't really make my list, so in terms of failures, the 375 is a much better thing to have fail than my GTN 750. And some people's GTN 750 installations will take out GPS, nav, com, transponder, and audio panel all in one swell foop! ;)

Oh, well. I got the NGT-9000 and a GNS-430 so I have two screens instead of one and ILS, too. If the 375 was available 6 months ago, it would have been very tempting to replace the aging Mode C transponder although you probably have to commit to Garmin Pilot to get full benefit.

ForeFlight works fine with the Garmin gear these days too, and it's what I use with a panel full of Garmin toys. I do have Garmin Pilot, but I use it solely for Database Concierge, which I believe is the only feature of the panel that ForeFlight can't do.

In your case, the 430+NGT gives you a nav/com too - Did you remove a Nav/Com when you upgraded? If not, I don't think the new gear would have done what you needed.

Here's what I see: Let's say you need ADS-B out, don't have WAAS and would like ADS-B In. You can spend $5800 for the version of the GTX-345 that has built-in position source or you can cough up an extra $2200 and get LPV approaches. And if you didn't have RNAV before this also adds it.

Exactly - And for $2200, that's the steal of the century. None of us have gotten LPV approaches (not to mention a nice new color LCD screen) anywhere near that cheap.

Tempting stuff but I don’t trust my King radios to last too much longer. Still considering GTN 650 and might even go 750.

Yeah, we were going to keep a 155 in the hangar as a spare for the 165, and the shop was going to build the wiring so that it'd be a slide-in replacement, but when it came down to it, both radios were 21 years old, caps were starting to leak and the flip-flops would bounce when they were cold. We spend a few hundred bucks on the 165 for their component-level guy to replace all the electrolytic caps, do some work on the switches, and generally refurbish it; we also decided that it wasn't worth doing the same for the 155 just to keep it on the shelf.

Haven't really decided what to do during the next upgrade yet, but ideally we would replace it with the GNC255. Radios are just so dang expensive for what they are though...

375 is IFR GPS + Transponder + ADSB IN/OUT. If I am in market, I will spend few more bucks to get a redundant nav instead just transponder and ADSB

Yes, if it is only a little more, your logic is sound. But you will have to add an indicator and a more expensive installation cost to your sheet before making that decision.

Folks, I am not defending the L3 products. I am just trying to make sure you’re not comparing oranges to apples.

Back