Garmin GTN650xi ads-b display of traffic & weather

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Is a GDL88 the only way to get FIS-B weather (or TIS-B traffic) into a GTN650xi?
Did Garmin really make the GTN650xi weather input a proprietary format?

Just removed a GNS430w and installed a GTN650xi in its place. Trying to figure out how to get ads-b traffic and weather on the 650xi.

The 430w was wired with arinc in for ads-b traffic data. On the 430w that was in GTX330 high speed data format on arinc in. The 430w did display traffic which came from a Navworx ads600-b.

The 650xi is wired with the same arinc in for that ads-b data. The 650xi arinc is set to high speed data concentrator format.

I am not seeing any traffic or weather on the 650xi.

Does the 650xi need "interfaced equipment" of GDL88 set to present (even though I do not actually have a Garmin GDL88)?
If so, what settings should be used on the interfaced equipment for the GDL88?

Our GTX-345 transponder feeds the traffic and weather to the GTN650.

Yeah Garmin seems to do that, not play well with others. Either a adsb-in like you mentioned GDL88 or a new adsb-in transponder like the GTX345.

Reactions: WDD
Is a GDL88 the only way to get FIS-B weather (or TIS-B traffic) into a GTN650xi?
Did Garmin really make the GTN650xi weather input a proprietary format?

I just installed a GDL88 to feed a newly installed GTN650xi and a pair of Aspens (PFD/MFD).

The aircraft already had an Avidyne IFD550 with the Avidyne AXP332 (Transponder with ADS-B out) and the Avidyne SkyTrax 100 (ADS-B in). I was adding a GTN650xi and upgrading both Aspens (MFD/PFD) and wanted full data flow everywhere while retaining the Avidyne equipment.

The Avidyne ADS-B data would not feed the Garmin nor the Aspen devices however the Avidyne equipment worked just fine for the IFD550 data in as well as the ADS-B out capabilities.

My options for ADS-B data into the GTN650xi as well as into both Aspen displays was either add a GTX345 which would give me a backup transponder or a Garmin GDL 88. The extra cost of the GTX-345 was hard to justify plus that requires panel space. I went with the (remote) GDL-88 and have great data flow in the cockpit to all my display devices. Note that Avidyne recently came out with a software upgrade that allows the Avidyne IFD550 to also accept data input from the GDL88 which didn't matter for me as I already have the Avidyne SkyTrax installed.

Our GTX-345 transponder feeds the traffic and weather to the GTN650.

Same here. And also to FF on an iPad. But now running Flight Stream 510 for two way communication with the iPad.

The install manual is pretty clear that you can get TIS data from a GTX 330 to the GTN. How do you have each of them configured?

The install manual is pretty clear that you can get TIS data from a GTX 330 to the GTN. How do you have each of them configured?
TIS, besides the similar name, is entirely different from TIS-B and has nothing to do with ADS-B.

- Martin

You'll need to either get the GDL88 or for a little more just upgrade your transponder to a GTX 345

The GNS uses a serial port and ARINC 429 to interface to GDL88 or GTX 345 for ADS-B weather and traffic. The GTN uses the HSDB ethernet to interface to the GDL88 or GTX 345 for ADS-B weather and traffic. Totally different method.

Back