Garmin G5 Calibration Pitch Shows Nose High Level Flight

I thank all of the posters itt: I’ve learned quite a bit.

Does anyone here know if the flight path marker is always on in the gi275? Or does it need to be activated in settings?

Unfortunately for me, now all I can think about is heads up display lol. I’m tall, and get neck strain looking down at the panel.

Does anyone here know if the flight path marker is always on in the gi275? Or does it need to be activated in settings?
According to the pilot guide, the GI 275 shows a flight path marker when synthetic vision is enabled and when the ground speed is at least 30 knots.

Thinking about this whole thread, my plane came with an Aspen 1000 Pro and G-5. I have flown it for almost 18 months and NEVER NOTICED that this was the way it was. I just flew the pitch that gave me what I wanted the airplane to do.

Parallax is what you used the adjustment in a steam AI to compensate for people of different heights. There is no parallax in glass which is what @Ryan F. was pointing out. Think you totally missed his point.
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.... No you missed the point, badly. Do the math..... Your eye is about 3 feet give or take from the AI. The DOT on the airplane reference is about 1/8" from the AI moving horizon card. Now compare seated position of a short pilot to tall pilot. Assume eye height varies 12 inches. Now do some simple trigonometry. That represents 0.06 degrees parallax. We are talking about airplane pitch reference change to moving horizon card of 0.04 inches. The observed pitch changes between short and tall pilot is very little, less than a faction of the diameter of the Airplane Ref Dot. I was looking at 3 degrees nose up on the G5! Read and think about that. 3 degrees nose up to 50 times "parallax ". A few "Captain Obvious" comments stated Electronic instruments do not have parallax. No kidding. Parallax is Irrelevant to this discussion.

.The adjustment of the airplane reference with mechanica AI is for:
> Pilot preference (I & every pilot I flew w/ set AI LEVEL or zero pitch in LEVEL FLIGHT not 3 degrees nose up. EFI in Jets I fly can't adjust.)​
> Instrument installation​
> AFM/POH SOP set AI on Gnd to level, in flight refine if/as needed. NOTE Cessna's SITTING on Gear have nose up Flt attitude NOT LEVEL to ground by design
> Parallax? Is so small it is nil. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD... Good Golly!​
Again read the thread . Installation of a Garmin G5 in a C152 has NOTHING TO DO WITH PARALLAX.... Nothing! It has to do with very generic installation instructions that if blindly followed results in a 3 degree NOSE UP pitch attitude in flight. No reasonable thoughtful person, Garmin Tech Support, my A&P/AI, professional pilots, have an issue setting the G5 to read (approx) level in level flight. It is safe, legal & works. Parallax is a silly obtuse irrelevant point, comment, argument. You are wrong and missed the point, again.
You all have a great Christmas and New Years... fly more type less. Cheers

Last edited:
This is directly from Garmin. Not sure how they missed your obvious interpretation.

Older attitude indicators could be adjusted to compensate for parallax error based on the viewing angle of the pilot. Since the G5 is a digital screen, there is no parallax error, so the FAA has mandated that we cannot allow the pitch to be adjusted by the pilot. Unfortunately, 14 CFR 23.1303 (F) , Flight and Navigation Instruments, prevents this adjustment on certified installations.

14 CFR 23

If your certified G5 does allow for pitch adjustment, then it is not compliant with Garmin’s STC.

It is expected for aircraft to fly at different attitudes, even when flying straight and level. This is mostly based on your aircraft’s weight and balance, power setting, and speed.

You wouldn't believe them if they did, or you would label them as unreasonable or thoughtless. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Circular logic.
You don't know the definition of circular logic.... It is an appeal to authority... READ THE FACTS I PRESENT... Argue against that. Done.

And we're back at the beginning: Since there's no parallax issue, then there's no need for parallax adjustment. The issue is the calibration of the unit itself, and that's something for the avionics shop or whoever does the equipment setup to deal with.

Here's an excerpt from your first post on this topic
Most know the common GA Vacuum Attitude Instrument the pitch reference was adjustable. This was to account for different pilots seated height, parallax, preference. The knob was on face, similar to say altimeter Baro setting knob, there to adjust as required.
Yet when I made the same point, parallax is irrelevant?
Got it.

This is directly from Garmin. Not sure how they missed your obvious interpretation.

Older attitude indicators could be adjusted to compensate for parallax error based on the viewing angle of the pilot. Since the G5 is a digital screen, there is no parallax error, so the FAA has mandated that we cannot allow the pitch to be adjusted by the pilot. Unfortunately, 14 CFR 23.1303 (F) , Flight and Navigation Instruments, prevents this adjustment on certified installations.

14 CFR 23

If your certified G5 does allow for pitch adjustment, then it is not compliant with Garmin’s STC.

It is expected for aircraft to fly at different attitudes, even when flying straight and level. This is mostly based on your aircraft’s weight and balance, power setting, and speed.

That is the REGULATION. GA Part 23 is different than Air Trans Part 25. We established that. We established that Elect Flight Inst are not controlled by Part 23 but other regulations and TSO's

Read "BEYOND THAT NECESSARY for PARALLAX CORRECTION." We are talking Garmin G5 nose up 3 degrees due to installation calibration. In this case there is NO correction by pilot for parallax allowed, as parallax does not exist right? When Elect Flt Instruments came along for Air Transport regulations Part 25 , Regulations in the form of TSO's stated NO Pilot ajustement at all for GA planes like AIr Transport. So what? Part 14 CFR 23.1303 (F) implies you can not make gross adjustments to AI except parallax, meaning small. I agree with that. I agree and proved parallax is not significant. I agree that once AI pitch Ref is set (be it analog or electronic) AI, it can be left alone, from one pilot to another. How do I know? Flying 38 years in 100's of GA planes, many after other pilots. Parallax is not the main issue ever, especially in relation to this thread which has REACH MAX LUDICROUS THREAD DRIFT LEVELS....

You are conflating and trying to prove me wrong? OK you win I will have maintenance set to G5 in the club basic instrument trainer to read 3 degrees nose up in level flight. OH NO... I WON'T. Ha ha. Generic STC for a G5 installation,which reads NOSE UP 3 degrees in level flight has NOTHING TO DO WITH PARALLAX. You concede that right? My original question has nothing to do with parallax. YOU ARE MAKING MY POINT FOR ME... Thank you.

Second I never said Parallax does not exist (with older Vac AI's which is not the topic), just that parallax is small. So small it is not only irrelevant to topic of the Thread I started (and was answered 3 pages ago), in practical use it is literally so small a tall and short pilot will not notice a big difference. It would be adjusted for preference. I like the horizon index to cut the DOT in half. Some like to set the dot on top. However the Regs LIMIT of adjustability does not change anything and find it curious, as the range of adjustment is huge, way beyond parallax adjustment.

Been awhile since I used a Vac AI but the adjustment I DO RECALL when I adjusted it, I only needed to tweek it ever so slightly if at all from previous flight/pilot. Once engine or engines are started, gyro erected, preflight check you observed AI read level, DG on heading cross checked with Mag compass. You leave AI alone if OK. Most of the time it was. However I flew Part 135 in a Seneca II. That airplanes AI reference walked or creeped down over 3 hour flight. It had an Electric HSI BTW. I kept a small chunk of silly putty material (like soft ear plug material) in my flight bag. I pushed it onto side of AI pitch adjustment knob and AI face. This friction kept pitch Ref from going out of adjustment. YES having accurate consistent Pitch attitude is critical in IMC. All you VFR pilots might not understand this.

Again Gentlemen, parallax is small as I showed (see picture). FAA allowed pilot adjustment for GA planes but not for Electronic AI/PDF per TSO since they borrow from Part 25. I can tell you the range of adjustment of pitch of older analog/mechanical Vac/Electrical AI's is way more than needed for parallax, CFR 14 23.1302 (F) notwithstanding. Just a fact. I invite anyone to go test the range of adjustment and now much parallax there is. PLEASE DO THAT BEFORE REPLYING.

Does Part 23 mean AI can't be adjusted by pilot at all? NO!!! However unfortunately the Regs for EI AI's or PDF's are controlled by TSO and other Regulations. Which means NO pilot adjustment at all. Does this need to be changed? Does Garmin need to make the installation instructions less vague? May be. However as it is now once properly calibrated on ground by maintenance the G5 works well and just like a Vac AI (parallax is irrelevant). I am happy. My Clubs G5's pitch Ref are set, within the STC and to my satisfaction, safe, legal, usable.

Part 23 regulations mentions Parallax? OK. I concede the word Parallax is in regulations. So? Did I say Parallax does not exist? Nope. Did I say it is small and practically insignificant? Yep and I am right. Prove me wrong. Did I say it has nothing to do with calibration/installation of a Garmin G5? Yep.

A G5 is adjustable, just not in flight (unless you power it down). What is telling is a Garmin G5 non TSO'ed "experimental" version is pilot adjustable.... Hummmm why do you think that is? BECAUSE THEY CAN and PILOTS WANT THAT....

Stop the nonsense making this some sacred cow. Pilots have been adjusting pitch attitude since the 1930's when Sperry introduced the first aircraft artificial horizon. I get why the Air Transport Regs restricted the pilot adjustability (pre EI). GA was and is limited adjustability, but NONE like air transport when using EI. It makes less sense. However if a G5 is installed properly, with flight test, crew coordination, it is a set and forget thing. The generic STC installation instructions for the G5 can be read by mechanics to cause these nose high calibrations. So a bunch of pilots "get use to it". Use critical thinking and not "get use to it" thinking, they A&P says so. Think is that right? Why not? Research it and get the answers.

You are beating the poor horse to death and arguing about minutia pedantically. Are you not tired? If not try again. I am enjoying winning this debate about nothing. Cheers.

20231124_084754.jpg

Last edited:
If I’m reading all of these posts correctly, your position is that the better way to teach beginning IFR students is by not confusing them and having the attitude indicator be perfectly level in level flight matching the horizon. This makes initial instrument training more intuitive for the pilot, however, they still would have to learn to interpret the instruments differently later on once presented with different attitude indicators that may not be level in-flight or different aircraft that may require different pitch attitudes for different CG conditions. I disagree with this learning strategy, but to each their own. There is the law of Primacy. Personally, I think learning very early in the process that you have to correlate your attitude presentation with your vertical speed backing this up is better than learning initially to be primarily dependent on the attitude indicator. But, I’m not a CFII, nor do instruct beginning instrument students. This is just my own personal learning experience.

I did find Ryan‘s comment about comparing the difference in the Borescope versus the flight path indicator as a pseudo-AOA reference to be interesting. I may turn my synthetic vision back on in my aspen, and start looking at this as a way of comparing AOA in different flight regimes.

You have to love the POA thread drift and vitriol, however

I'm not an instrument pilot, let alone a CFII, but can someone tell me what "flight attitude" is? I fly at all sorts of pitch attitudes. In level flight, even. So I'm not sure what attitude you would use for "flight attitude" when on the ground. It seems like you'd need to pick an arbitrary attitude that would result in level flight at some airspeed but not others.

Or maybe it's about the attitude of the pilot?

One point you are missing is, that while the adjust on a mechanical AI is not really necessary for parallax, it may have been included in the requirements because someone thought it was, so added it.

Again, I don't notice if my Aspen and G-5 have a pitch offset. I fly the AIRPLANE. I set the pitch I need for what I want the airplane to do.

Maybe you need some professional help for your OCD. :D

Again, I don't notice if my Aspen and G-5 have a pitch offset. I fly the AIRPLANE. I set the pitch I need for what I want the airplane to do.

The Malibu I flew last week (G1000), showed a 1 deg nose down pitch angle in level flight at cruise at 9000.

As mentioned previously, the King Airs I fly (Pro Line 21) show a 1.5 deg nose up pitch in level flight at cruise.

Neither actually. The quote in question was actually an appeal to purity fallacy, aka No True Scotsman fallacy. Certainly not an appeal to authority fallacy.

That said, the OP has dabbled repetitively in appeal-to-authority fallacy as well, to a comical degree. It is that fallacy imo, the one that is causing him to get egged on/lured into digging deeper holes for everybody's entertainment. To wit, it doesn't appear he's aware his credentials are neither unique or novel, within the aggregate collective of credentials and experience held by both lurking and actively posting participants of this thread, and message board. It has been a cringe read, but allah knows I'm getting my membership fee's worth out of this website. Lets gooooo!

ETA: OP would have loved to see the AI pitch attitude reading on the Buff during a lightweight touch n go climbout, or hell, even level flight. he'd probably get spatial-D in VMC and punch out. :D

Having it calibrated to an arbitrary configuration in level flight is pointless. That pitch attitude will only be level flight for one configuration. Teaching students to pitch to the horizon for level flight is a good way to have them descend into the ground when they are stressed out in IMC trying to shoot an approach without their cfi looking over their shoulder. If teaching proper attitude flying technique there is zero need for the attitude indicator to be calibrated to anything other than the actual axis of the airplane.

The hubris on display here has been very entertaining.

Installed one of these 2 years ago to replace my mechanical AI (which didn't, by the way, have adjustment capability to alter the position of the airplane symbol index):

IMG_4531.jpg

This has a "Pitch Sync" feature which allows resetting the airplane symbol to the horizon line. Other than testing the feature set out after installation, I haven't used it. I know, I know - thread drift - since this post doesn't precisely address the OP's question about his Garmin G5. But in the hope that others might be interested, I'll risk his wrath...

Their mini6 looks very interesting for the price.

Your AI should not read level in flight. There is always some pitch up, unless you’re descending. You are only fooling yourself when you set the AI to “level flight attitude”.
Also - leveling screws, etc at for maintenance - weighing the aircraft etc.

There is always some pitch up, unless you’re descending.
I would have agreed, until (as posted above), I saw that the G1000 in the Malibu indicated 1 deg nose down pitch in level cruise flight. And that's a factory installation and calibration.

I thought this was weird, but not weird enough to matter.

Agreed. Every possible argument has been made in this thread. He's not going to come around on this.
I'll move on.

Regards,
Martin
Come around to what? Read the thread and make a point. "Come around"... Ha ha.

And we're back at the beginning: Since there's no parallax issue, then there's no need for parallax adjustment. The issue is the calibration of the unit itself, and that's something for the avionics shop or whoever does the equipment setup to deal with.
THANK YOU... Yep... how we got down this road is the culture on this forum and a few people. I appreciate you putting a period on it yet people post "he's not coming around"... G

Your AI should not read level in flight. There is always some pitch up, unless you’re descending. You are only fooling yourself when you set the AI to “level flight attitude”.
Also - leveling screws, etc at for maintenance - weighing the aircraft etc.
Eric stop please. "There is always pitch up"... We established that weight, cg, aircraft config, altitude, air density, airspeed all affect AOA for level flight not to mention the aircraft make and model. There is no ALWAYS... Read the thread... 3 Degrees nose up is silliness for level flight in a C152.

Having it calibrated to an arbitrary configuration in level flight is pointless. That pitch attitude will only be level flight for one configuration. Teaching students to pitch to the horizon for level flight is a good way to have them descend into the ground when they are stressed out in IMC trying to shoot an approach without their cfi looking over their shoulder. If teaching proper attitude flying technique there is zero need for the attitude indicator to be calibrated to anything other than the actual axis of the airplane.

The hubris on display here has been very entertaining.
If I’m reading all of these posts correctly, your position is that the better way to teach beginning IFR students is by not confusing them and having the attitude indicator be perfectly level in level flight matching the horizon. This makes initial instrument training more intuitive for the pilot, however, they still would have to learn to interpret the instruments differently later on once presented with different attitude indicators that may not be level in-flight or different aircraft that may require different pitch attitudes for different CG conditions. I disagree with this learning strategy, but to each their own. There is the law of Primacy. Personally, I think learning very early in the process that you have to correlate your attitude presentation with your vertical speed backing this up is better than learning initially to be primarily dependent on the attitude indicator. But, I’m not a CFII, nor do instruct beginning instrument students. This is just my own personal learning experience.

I did find Ryan‘s comment about comparing the difference in the Borescope versus the flight path indicator as a pseudo-AOA reference to be interesting. I may turn my synthetic vision back on in my aspen, and start looking at this as a way of comparing AOA in different flight regimes.

You have to love the POA thread drift and vitriol, however
Both of your comments are ridiculous.... sorry no offense.

Tarheelpilot: Nothing is arbitrary. No one is flying into the ground. That kind of hyperbole really peeves me off. Send me a PM so I can tell you what I think of your ignorant comment.

Tokirbymd: There is no confusion and your reading comprehension is low if that is what you got out of the thread. Try it again from the top. As a CFI, ATP +33 years, 40 different aircraft J3 to B767, +1000 dual given GA, more at airlines, over +14k hours PIC, I understand the art Attitude Instrument Flying and how to teach. Thanks you. Your comment:
interpret the instruments differently later on once presented with different attitude indicators that may not be level n-flight or different aircraft that may require different pitch attitudes for different CG conditions
No kidding. They are PVT pilots with 60 total hours in a C152 IFR trainer... your point is moot. We established speed/power, weight, air density/altitude, configuration, flight maneuver, affects pitch. How #$*%^ obvious. IRRELEVENT to calibration installation of the G5 which was really bad, due to vague generic instructions more suited for other aircraft.

"Primacy" (first learned best learned) has nothing to do with it. Every airplane is a transition or different. The trainer is the trainer. The Simulator is the simulator. Another plane is different. If you have good instrument scan it does not matter... All my students will be proficient, precise, competent flying by sole reference to instruments, with skills and knowledge to transition to other planes nicely. I've been to the Rodeo before, dozens of students successfully passing their checkrides, all first time. A badly calibrated PFD is something I do NOT want my students to get use to in a C152. What if they fly a steam gauge GA plane with adjustable pitch Reference. OH NO!!!! I fly 3 degrees nose up in a B767 on final approach (descent)... I kind of get it. This is not my first day on the job.​
There is the law of Primacy. Personally, I think learning very early in the process that you have to correlate your attitude presentation with your vertal speed backing this up is better than learning initially to be primarily dependent on the attitude indicator. But, I’m not a CFII, nor do instruct beginning instrument students. This is just my own personal learning experience.
This is BASIC Attitude instrument flying, SCAN, CROSS CHECK, INTERPRET. and CONTROL... Yes VSI is in the scan.... No kidding. You are the 5th or 20th person to say VSI. The AI/PDF is PRIMARY. Repeat PRIMARY and others are performance or monitoring. Calibrating the G5 to read something reasonable in cruise flight and cruise speed descents, is safe, legal and works well.

Both of you, this has been gone over +10 times. Both of you ignored the thread and are repeating the same obvious & irrelevant things others said ad nauseum. The reason and why I had maintenance calibrate the G5, why it is normal, OK, not a big deal, Garmin approved, STC approved, is settled. Not repeating myself... I get $60 hrs for dual and $203 hr to fly a jet. I take PayPal and Venmo if you like more instruction. G5 is now properly calibrated, and I am happy, students are doing great. Do as you like.

Last edited:
This is BASIC Attitude instrument flying, SCAN, CROSS CHECK, INTERPRET. and CONTROL... Yes VSI is in the scan.... No kidding. You are the 5th or 20th person to say VSI. The AI/PDF is PRIMARY. Repeat PRIMARY and others are performance or monitoring. Calibrating the G5 to read something reasonable in cruise flight and cruise speed descents, is safe, legal and works well.
At least read the IFH…it’s “primary/supporting” and “control/performance.” mixing and matching causes your inner idiot to surface.

Both of your comments are ridiculous.... sorry no offense.

Tarheelpilot: Nothing is arbitrary. No one is flying into the ground. That kind of hyperbole really peeves me off. Send me a PM so I can tell you what I think of your ignorant comment.

No offense taken and no need to apologize.

It’s ok for you to disagree but I think your desire to have a level pitch attitude on the AI for level flight is arbitrary. I have read the thread and know your opinion. So no need to repeat yourself just to quote me.

I don’t think it’s hyperbole. Obviously I’m not in the aircraft with you so I don’t know for sure what you are teaching and can only base my opinions on what you have posted. But based on what you have posted and your fierce opposition to not having the AI point exactly at the horizon for a specific aircraft configuration, it is my opinion that you could be teaching some bad habits.

I’m not sending you a PM. This board is about sharing opinions. If you can’t handle objective feedback from a peer in aviation that’s not my problem.

I don’t think it’s hyperbole. Obviously I’m not in the aircraft with you so I don’t know for sure what you are teaching and can only base my opinions on what you have posted. But based on what you have posted and your fierce opposition to not having the AI point exactly at the horizon for a specific aircraft configuration, it is my opinion that you could be teaching some bad habits.

100% this! I pity his students.

Calibrating the G5 to read something reasonable in cruise flight and cruise speed descents, is safe, legal and works well.
Reasonable would be following the manufacturer's required procedure. Why is ignoring it and doing whatever you feel like reasonable?

Reasonable would be following the manufacturer's required procedure. Why is ignoring it and doing whatever you feel like reasonable?
Correct. That is what we did. The STC is a AML-STC... .... A G5 can go in a C152 or a Beech King Air... and every brand of standard category utility airplane ever made.... Garmin has ONE installation instructions for the G5, not customized for any make or model. Got it. This is not rocket science or brain surgery. We have the ability and approval to calibrate the G5 that makes sense for a C152 or Cessna 4O2 twin or King Air. The instructions state adjust the Pitch Cal to compensate for the aerodynamic characteristics of the aircraft. The A&P and AI with a lot of experience (and a pilot as well) agrees and has calibrated pre STC not to indicate flying NOSE UP all day long... I do not coitizes the original calibration as frankly is not clear. Now it is calibrated and is SAFE, LEGAL and per the Manufactures instructions. Thank you for your comment.
[

Last edited:
At least read the IFH…it’s “primary/supporting” and “control/performance.” mixing and matching causes your inner idiot to surface.
We have gone from silly petulant comments to full on insults... You are projecting your ignorance MauleSkinner. THESE TERMS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE and any well trained and experienced instrument pilot know this. These terms have been use for at least 60 years interchangeably and documented, well before my time and still used... interchangeably. Read Advisory Circular faa-h-8083-15.pdf. You embarrassed yourself.

Trolls can't make a point so they start hurling insults and throwing tantrums .... You lost . Bye bye

Last edited:
No offense taken and no need to apologize.

It’s ok for you to disagree but I think your desire to have a level pitch attitude on the AI for level flight is arbitrary. I have read the thread and know your opinion. So no need to repeat yourself just to quote me.

I’m not sending you a PM. This board is about sharing opinions. If you can’t handle objective feedback from a peer in aviation that’s not my problem.

As far as making C152 with G5 reading 3 degrees nose up being sacred and changing it will cause accidents, no. The G5 in another plane may read zero degree or negative -1 degree in level cruise flight. The same airplane (make model) with different brand of electronic instrument OR standard vac/electric 6 pack will read differently in pitch during normal/nominal/average/typical cruise flight. The latter (vac/electric analog AI) of course is pilot adjustable at any time. Folks this is not a big deal.

If another person mentions that pitch will vary with weight, CG, configuration, speed, power, air density, altitude, flight maneuver, I will get medieval on you and use harsh language. Ha ha. The range of weight, speed, altitude and performance envelope of a C152 is tiny, small. Level nominal cruise pitch varies very little with any variable. The biggest pitch changes are climb, flaps, slow fight or flying at max service ceiling ( engine is making little % HP and lower air density) requires higher AOA and thus pitch indication. IN NORMAL C152 training near sea level at gross weight, AOA and thus pitch indication will vary very little nominal level flight and cruise (approach) descent at cruise speed. .

It just does not make that difference. Then who thread shows how pilots don't understand their instruments or aerodynamics. I highly recommend Advisory Circular aa-h-8083-15.pdf, read all of it. Chapter 6 may help all of your have a deeper understanding of how to use flight instruments for flying IFR or in IMC.

If you are going to pick a PITCH indication calibration, in my opinion and the 100's of pilots I have flown with, a good choice, pick something close to zero pitch in normal cruise as a BENCH MARK.... Everything is referenced to LEVEL... Yes? We have had this ability' and still do have the ability to calibrate our AI in Standard Category aircraft (GA planes) for the last 80 years and STILL DO, even with Electronic Instruments, which makes user adjustment less accessible but still allowed
. Part 23 says you can adjust your AI. If you like flying all day with your pitch on some BLUE part of the horizon, half way between indices good. I can fly like that in IMC. However it is better to have a pitch indication on the BIG LINE called the horizon that means something, not a pitch you never will use. If you are a VFR pilot, or not a pilot, you really have no reference (pun intended) to opine on then subject.

Yes it is my opinion. Your comment implied I am not teaching my students properly, to rely on the AI Pitch.. Yep that is what I am doing and that is the proper method to instrument scan....

I don't think what the OP is trying to do is terribly unreasonable for teaching beginning instrument students. I think most of us who trained under vacuum systems did the same without even thinking the purpose was to correct parallax error. He seems to be compliant with the regs and Garmin's installation instructions, so what's the big deal?

As long as OP teaches his students that once they transition to other airplanes they may encounter differing pitch indications in level flight, the students will be fine.

Sounds as if the OP may have more experience than those wagging a finger at him.

Perhaps Dale Carnegie might critique his messaging a wee bit, but same could be said about most of us.

As far as making C152 with G5 reading 3 degrees nose up being sacred and changing it will cause accidents, no. The G5 in another plane may read zero degree or negative -1 degree in level cruise flight. The same airplane (make model) with different brand of electronic instrument OR standard vac/electric 6 pack will read differently in pitch during normal/nominal/average/typical cruise flight. The latter (vac/electric analog AI) of course is pilot adjustable at any time. Folks this is not a big deal.

If another person mentions that pitch will vary with weight, CG, configuration, speed, power, air density, altitude, flight maneuver, I will get medieval on you and use harsh language. Ha ha. The range of weight, speed, altitude and performance envelope of a C152 is tiny, small. Level nominal cruise pitch varies very little with any variable. The biggest pitch changes are climb, flaps, slow fight or flying at max service ceiling ( engine is making little % HP and lower air density) requires higher AOA and thus pitch indication. IN NORMAL C152 training near sea level at gross weight, AOA and thus pitch indication will vary very little nominal level flight and cruise (approach) descent at cruise speed. .

It just does not make that difference. Then who thread shows how pilots don't understand their instruments or aerodynamics. I highly recommend Advisory Circular aa-h-8083-15.pdf, read all of it. Chapter 6 may help all of your have a deeper understanding of how to use flight instruments for flying IFR or in IMC.

If you are going to pick a PITCH indication calibration, in my opinion and the 100's of pilots I have flown with, a good choice, pick something close to zero pitch in normal cruise as a BENCH MARK.... Everything is referenced to LEVEL... Yes? We have had this ability' and still do have the ability to calibrate our AI in Standard Category aircraft (GA planes) for the last 80 years and STILL DO, even with Electronic Instruments, which makes user adjustment less accessible but still allowed
. Part 23 says you can adjust your AI. If you like flying all day with your pitch on some BLUE part of the horizon, half way between indices good. I can fly like that in IMC. However it is better to have a pitch indication on the BIG LINE called the horizon that means something, not a pitch you never will use. If you are a VFR pilot, or not a pilot, you really have no reference (pun intended) to opine on then subject.

Yes it is my opinion. Your comment implied I am not teaching my students properly, to rely on the AI Pitch.. Yep that is what I am doing and that is the proper method to instrument scan....
It was not implied. I specifically stated it may be possible you are teaching an inappropriate technique to your students.

I also stated I’m not 100% confident in that statement because it’s based solely on your posts. Your posts are hard to follow because they are full of posturing and insults.

Sounds like you found the answer to your original question.

Tailwinds

Back