Garmin Avionics & ForeFlight

Dennis M Carleton

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DMC
I’m getting a G3X installed and I’m a FF user. Will I still need my Sentry or will FF pull AHRS data from the G3X?

I don’t think it will send AHRS data to Foreflight. I have a GTX345 transponder, and that send AHRS data. The Bluetooth on the G3X in my installation is only for flight plan transfer.

I will also have the GTX345. Will it send the AHRS data via Bluetooth to FF?

Tangential questions.

What are the failure modes that would have your on-board AHRS be read by Foreflight but not by your primary avionics?

I know a number of pilots who have kept their Sentry and other GPS/ADS-B/AHRS portables as backup in case of system failures (I have an old XGPS portable). Have you considered this?

I know a number of pilots who have kept their Sentry and other GPS/ADS-B/AHRS portables as backup in case of system failures (I have an old XGPS portable). Have you considered this?
Exactly. I keep a GDL 52 on top of my glareshield, not just because I can take my Sirius XM subscription with me to other planes that way, but also because this gives me a backup AHRS with my iPad should all the panel-mount avionics fail for some reason.

GDL52.jpg

Tangential questions.

What are the failure modes that would have your on-board AHRS be read by Foreflight but not by your primary avionics?

For a G3X install, it would require the G3X and the backup (G-5 or GI-275) to fail, but not the GTX-345. So would not help in a total electrical failure after the backup battery runs out.

For my upcoming install, I am considering a back up battery for the G3X and one GPS/Nav/Com

Exactly. I keep a GDL 52 on top of my glareshield, not just because I can take my Sirius XM subscription with me to other planes that way, but also because this gives me a backup AHRS with my iPad should all the panel-mount avionics fail for some reason.
I do exactly as Martin does. I have a GDL52 (similar to your sentry), that is always powered on with XM weather subscription to FF. It can bring up AHRS (AI, CDI) on FF with one touch and is completely independent of the Garmin stack. ., . Though I have been tempted many times to move the subscription from the GDL52 to the GTN750 that is fixed inside the cockpit. I would still retain the backup AHRS unit - but XM weather would be on my G600/GTN. Would lose the ability to move when flying other planes - but that is a rarity these days.

Though I have been tempted many times to move the subscription from the GDL52 to the GTN750 that is fixed inside the cockpit.

Huh? 750 cannot source XM, it has come from some XM receiver. Or am I missing what you are saying?

Huh? 750 cannot source XM, it has come from some XM receiver. Or am I missing what you are saying?
I have a gdl69 which is the garmin Sirius xm receiver for the panel. I also have a gdl52 which is the portable version of that (that can move from plane to plane). So when I’m in the plane - the Sirius xm subscription is on the gdl52 which goes to FF. I have as I said - seriously considered moving the subscription to the in panel which would entail moving it to the gdl69 from the 52 because the GTN won’t accept sxm weather from /some/ xm receiver but only the gdl69

OK, you shortened what you said to the point it was unclear.

Assuming it's configured correctly by your installer, yes.
The annoying part!

Garmin guy at Oshkosh told me to connect FF to both of them (gnc355 and the gtx345.) 345 for traffic/weather and the 355 for gps/flight plan transfer…he said if I used garmin pilot I wouldn’t have these issues (he might have been a sales guy at some point haha)

Back