Garmin 430 going missed and diverting

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
I've seen a couple threads on this general topic but have probably missed plenty. Apologies and feel free to direct me to any that you think answer this.

Does anyone know of a good video or instructions covering the best ways to swap over to an alternate on the 430 while busy/have gone missed? A couple different scenarios have been causing me some problems (sim practice).

- Assume only a single unit so no linked 430s.

- Main question: If you have gone missed and are in the hold, how to maintain the hold while reprogramming for the alternate and new approach.
- If you are missed and proceeding to the hold and the controller gives you a "proceed direct to..." before you have the alternate and approach programmed...

Some of this might come down to how you have the FPL programmed from the beginning. I'm still learning. IR flight training begins in February.

Thanks all.

You could go into the flight plan and add the new destination after the hold. Or ask for a vector to start heading that way and DTO new destination. Practice twisting the knobs and you’ll get to where you’re fast as greased lightning.

You could go into the flight plan and add the new destination after the hold. Or ask for a vector to start heading that way and DTO new destination. Practice twisting the knobs and you’ll get to where you’re fast as greased lightning.
Yeah, sounds like I may be overthinking it. Just adding the new destination and hitting suspend while in the hold.

I recently ran into the issue while about 15 seconds out from the hold entry. Poor planning on my part - I had requested to divert just prior to the hold entry, hadn't entered the new destination, and the IAF for the new approach was the hold waypoint. Led to a mad dash to reprogram and a temporary turn in the wrong direction. Basic task saturation problem from poor planning really.

Y Basic task saturation problem from poor planning really.
And coupled with a GPS that was a tremendous advancement in its day, but leaves much to be desired. A GPS should be capable of allowing entry of multiple airports and multiple approaches in advance while workload is greatly reduced. Some will disagree.

Yeah, I earned my PPL in the 90s, so it STILL seems advanced to me. =) But yes, it does seem very strange that it's so difficult to enter multiple approaches at once. That said, in real life, the plane I train in has a single 430W, and I enjoy the challenge while planning to progress to more advanced avionics in the future.

FWIW here, I did just re-run a PDX RNAV X 28L to missed, into the hold over UBG, delete the FPL in the hold, enter Direct to MMV, then PROC select/activate RNAV 22 @ OZIER and it flowed fine in that sequence. But this was semi-unique in that the hold utilized the UBG VORDME which kept the 430 free for re-programming. I still didn't find a smooth way to transition that would work if on a GPS based hold.

I'll dig deeper into the thread that you posted above. Thanks.

Best video on the subject. I like to set that up with my alternate before departure if it's a potential.

Best video on the subject. I like to set that up with my alternate before departure if it's a potential.
Nice, that looks like a good solution. I'll have to try that next. Thanks!

This is great and a wonderful idea.
On one of the IPCs I received I entered all three approaches we plan on in advance. The CFII asked me what I was doing - he never heard of it. I explained and when we finished the first approach and "diverted" the the second, he just said, "Wow!"

BTW, this can be done with the GTN and the G1000 too. You can also do it in the Avidyne IFD, but you don't have to since the IFD allows one to file a sequence of different approaches in the active flight plan without destroying the existing one. I'm pretty sure @Martin Pauly has a video demonstrating this.

You can also do it in the Avidyne IFD, but you don't have to since the IFD allows one to file a sequence of different approaches in the active flight plan without destroying the existing one. I'm pretty sure @Martin Pauly has a video demonstrating this.
Indeed! In fact, this question is the best use-case I can think of for having multiple approaches in your flight plan, so that you are ready to fly the intended approach followed by an alternate approach which could be at the same airport (with lower minimums maybe, but more miles to fly) or at a different airport.

Yeah, the Avidyne definitely has G beat in this regard. I bought one and installed it in large part for this very feature. Unfortunately for me, the IFD kept losing GPS lock in the same tray the G had no issues. The other concern I had was the A ran so hot it was painful to touch. So, I still have the trusty 430w.

Yeah, the Avidyne definitely has G beat in this regard. I bought one and installed it in large part for this very feature. Unfortunately for me, the IFD kept losing GPS lock in the same tray the G had no issues. The other concern I had was the A ran so hot it was painful to touch. So, I still have the trusty 430w.
Well I did a few videos comparing features. Although I never scored them against each other, sometimes IFD arguably came out slightly ahead. Other times Garmin. This one is a difference in how to add the next approach, not in capability p, so it's net zero in my book.

Well I did a few videos comparing features. Although I never scored them against each other, sometimes IFD arguably came out slightly ahead. Other times Garmin. This one is a difference in how to add the next approach, not in capability p, so it's net zero in my book.
Appreciate your contribution to this thread, but even speaking as one turned off by avidyne I respectfully have to give this one to avidyne. It's a convoluted mess to do it in a 430. It's simple in the avidyne.

Back