GA pilot versus airline pilot rift. What causes it?

This past weekend I had a great conversation with a fellow that is a Navy instructor (T-44), currently flies with a major airline, and is in the market for an RV-6 (which we might go pick up shortly).

Seemed like a regular guy to me. His student soloed in a Katana and will graduate to C-130's. She'll probably end up flying freight in a big jet.

Another friend flies boxes for his day job, F-15s on the weekend and an Aventura amphib on his off days.

Those lines out there aren't as clear cut as one would like to think.

He is probably referring to my post about airline hotshots.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=765945

Actually, I wasn't, but it serves as a good example.

So one person expresses concerns about things he's heard airline pilots do on the CTAF, and that a "rift."

Ohhhhkay.

Never said that?

It's actually something I've noticed in both the 121 cockpit and around the water cooler at the local FBO's..

I've seen aviation debauchery come from all sorts. Airline pilots, 135 guys, 134.5 guys, "professional" instructors, new instructors, etc. We all make mistakes.

Or he could have been referring to my post:

I too hear the infamous ATITAPA far more from commercial pilots (both airlines and private jets) than I do from others.

Not your post either, but another example.

Concerning ATITAPA, I hear it from all sorts. However, it seems that it's more of something to let the internet argue about than a serious issue.

What is the REAL problem with it? I've heard some express that it's the grammar in the statement. I've heard some express that it's not in the pilot/controller glossary and other excuses.

I'd love to hear a recording of all the anti-atitapa folks on the radio. I doubt very seriously ANY of us use 100% correct phraseology on the radio. It just doesn't happen.

FWIW - I have a friend I am teaching to fly, he uses it all the time. I recently told him about all the hub-bub. He's stopped using it. If he wanted to, I wouldn't care too terribly much. At least he is using the radio.

I'd much rather hear a guy who is 10 miles out call up and ask any traffic to "advise" than have some guy pop up 3 miles out announcing he's straight in to 29..

We did have this thread recently.

Airline Pilots "Forgetting how to fly"?

Although I don't know if that was a commentary about airline pilots or technology in general. Usually when I hear gripes about airline pilots it is about radio technique or perceived lack of hand-flying skill. I'm not sure if you would call that a "rift" though.

There are lots of certificate holders and very few "pilots" in this day and age, in all cockpits.

We are limited to turning Otto on at 600'AGL on take off, and for the landing, it varies dependent on what sort of approach we are shooting.

I see lots of guys at 595'AGL calling for the autopilot.
I see lots of guys handfly to ~10,000 and call for otto.
I see a few guys hand fly to transition altitude.
I see even fewer guys hand fly to cruise, unless of course otto is broken.

Personally, it depends on the day, the conditions, what leg we are on for that day and my mood.

Is it day 1, leg 1, cavu? I'll hand fly to FL180 or so. Maybe 12,000.. Maybe 8.. Just depends on how I feel. I almost always handfly the descent from 10,000 down.

Am I tired, on leg 4, day 5 of the trip leaving JFK in 2 mile vis with 100'VV? Guess what I'm using. :)

We are required to use the autopilot on any RNAV departure.

I know what you mean - FI.com used to be great several years ago....now it has gotten so ridiculous that I have not posted over there for a while. I found that most of the quality posters left Flightinfo and are over at Pro Pilot World....PPW's requirement that you must hold a commercial certificate or higher to join seems to have cut back on alot of the riff-raff.

I've never even heard of PPW.. I might have to check it out.

This past weekend I had a great conversation with a fellow that is a Navy instructor (T-44), currently flies with a major airline, and is in the market for an RV-6 (which we might go pick up shortly).

That guy is dangerous..:wink2:

Concerning ATITAPA, I hear it from all sorts.

The last person I heard it from was one of my Civil Air Patrol colleagues. I was on the ground in the runup area, so I didn't see a need to give him any "advice."

However, it seems that it's more of something to let the internet argue about than a serious issue.

What is the REAL problem with it? I've heard some express that it's the grammar in the statement. I've heard some express that it's not in the pilot/controller glossary and other excuses.

It's probably similar to saying "with you," in that it bugs some people and not others. As long as the "offender" gives their position and intentions together with the ATITAPA, it's probably no more serious than needlessly tying up the frequency for a few seconds. There is a theoretical possibility that, in a busy pattern, it could cause everyone to key up all at once, which could mask a call from the ONE aircraft that the guy really needs to hear from because of being in a position where a collision could result. I don't know if that ever actually happens, but my response to an ATITAPA call is to just make my position reports at the normal times unless I think there's a conflict developing.

I'd love to hear a recording of all the anti-atitapa folks on the radio. I doubt very seriously ANY of us use 100% correct phraseology on the radio. It just doesn't happen.

I think you're right.

What about twins vs. 3 or 4 engines? :D
Irrelevant to me since any airplane big enough to require more than two engines costs more to fly than I can afford. OTOH, I guess that would make them safer for me since I'd never leave the ground.

What about twins vs. 3 or 4 engines? :D

There are some folks out there who would regard having 4 operational engines as a severe emergency. :D I don't happen to be one of them, one engine operating is fine for me.

Oh dear God...let's not turn this into yet another ATITAPA discussion. We have like 753 of those in the archive already.

Except RV pilots, on one notable occasion.

Yeh, RV pilots are dangerous. ;)

It appears to me that there are bigger rifts between segments of GA than between GA pilots and airline pilots.

Pilots are an argumentative bunch, because we are all taught to have a pilot in command mentality, and you know what happens when you have "all chiefs and no indians."

It appears to me that there are bigger rifts between segments of GA than between GA pilots and airline pilots.

Pilots are an argumentative bunch, because we are all taught to have a pilot in command mentality, and you know what happens when you have "all chiefs and no indians."

You're probably right.

My comment you quoted was in jest, just for the record. I'm headed to the airport in about an hour to work on my -6. ;)

I admit, I have not observed the phenomenon of which the OP speaks; I rather think we get along with most pilots pretty well.
Me neither.

Someone, I think Lance, mentioned jealousy. But speaking for myself I can say that I not only do not have an issue with airline pilots, I way NOT jealous of them. They have a crappy job and I would not want it in a million years.

Crappy pay, crappy working conditions, not really getting to fly all that much, dealing with corporate idiocy, FAA idiocy, TSA idiocy, etc. Nothing there that I would want to deal with on a daily basis at all. I fly for fun. I get to do that.

Me neither.

Someone, I think Lance, mentioned jealousy. But speaking for myself I can say that I not only do not have an issue with airline pilots, I way NOT jealous of them. They have a crappy job and I would not want it in a million years.

Crappy pay, crappy working conditions, not really getting to fly all that much, dealing with corporate idiocy, FAA idiocy, TSA idiocy, etc. Nothing there that I would want to deal with on a daily basis at all. I fly for fun. I get to do that.
I've had one or two regional pilots accuse me of being jealous of them - which is pretty funny. The last thing I'm jealous of is an income so low I'd lose my entire lifestyle including my house along with a terrible schedule that would eliminate most of the fun in my life. Some of these pilots seem to think it's every instructors goal to be them. Not me. I like my single engine pistons, thank you.

Really I have nothing against airline pilots. I know many of them that are great people.

You're probably right.

My comment you quoted was in jest, just for the record. I'm headed to the airport in about an hour to work on my -6. ;)

No overhead breaks. K?

:D

Or better yet, don't break anything overhead, byt yank and bank all ya want.

I've had one or two regional pilots accuse me of being jealous of them - which is pretty funny. The last thing I'm jealous of is an income so low I'd lose my entire lifestyle including my house along with a terrible schedule that would eliminate most of the fun in my life. Some of these pilots seem to think it's every instructors goal to be them. Not me. I like my single engine pistons, thank you.
No kidding.

Me neither.

I had a very successful and lucrative career as an airline pilot.

Please try to educate yourself about a subject before making such inane statements.

Please try to educate yourself about a subject before making such inane statements.

Not doubting that. But if you were starting today, do you think you'd have a lucrative career? Successful varies, so I think it's still possible to be a successful airline pilot. I'm just not sure folks starting the climb now will be upper-middle class financially.

To me a pilot is a pilot, no matter what they fly or for whom they fly.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Oh it's not that far off these days.

Question:

How long ago did you do this?

Yeah, I do also. But they're all my age (50 ish) not Jesse's age (I'll let him fill in the blank)

And most of those "successful" guys & gals don't fly into Lincoln or Omaha and thus probably aren't talking with Jesse. He's likely talking with the $18k per year crowd.

And like someone else said...many (most?) of yesterday's lucrative careers aren't today.

Not doubting that. But if you were starting today, do you think you'd have a lucrative career? Successful varies, so I think it's still possible to be a successful airline pilot. I'm just not sure folks starting the climb now will be upper-middle class financially.

To me a pilot is a pilot, no matter what they fly or for whom they fly.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Look at the payscales of FedEx, UPS, Southwest to name a few. Is it difficult to get in? You bet, but to someone dedicated and ambitious they have a shot just like anyone else.

Absolutely. Look at the payscales of FedEx, UPS, Southwest to name a few. Is it difficult to get in? You bet, but to someone dedicated and ambitious they have a shot just like anyone else.

There's always going to be far more applicants than are hired...

The clueful note this when they start training and either realize they're in for an incredibly long haul (pun intended?) at virtually no pay to make it to where they can even apply for one of those companies, or they bail. They also do tons of extracurricular stuff, teach safety seminars, etc etc etc... just to stand out from the crowd just a tiny bit.

The clueless believe the big school hype (ERAU has got to be the worst about this, and UND used to be pretty big on their hype) and run up $100K in student loan debt to get that first job.

Job prospects for young folk are bad all over today, but when the economy is good, the above scenario doesn't change much, and other careers are more lucrative and a lot easier to get started in.

I'm not saying it's not worth it for some, but I know some highly motivated guys who ended up living in 20 person crash-pads workin' for Mesa...

They all bumped a lot of folks to even get there, and were excellent pilots and life-decision-makers. They knew what they were in for. But they also were just hoping they could put gas in the car to get to the airport to get to work, most days. They were expecting to do this for multiple years prior to having enough time to move up to something that paid a tiny bit more.

If... and only if... they got hired by someone to fly turbine stuff and that company didn't go under and they didn't get furloughed (some do, multiple times), they'd maybe make it to big iron in 10 years. Then they'd be making a reasonable wage, but still have any student loan debt they were crazy enough to build up, to pay back. By about age 45, again, assuming no furloughs and company changes, they'd finally be putting something away for retirement.

Get caught in the furlough speed bump back down to the very bottom of someone else's seniority pool, you're set back 10 or more years in earning potential, no matter how fat your logbook is.

That's got to be the STRANGEST part of professional aviation. Sure it could happen in any job, but it's guaranteed in aviation. Usually a "Senior" anything in any other job gets rehired as a "Senior" again at the next company. It might be a pay bump down, but they're not usually assigned back to the entry-level job. Their experience is too valuable.

Not in professional aviation. Unions say it's all about seniority, at that company... which is the odd part. You could have been a 20 year Captain on big iron at the company that went under, you're hired as the bottom of the totem-pole FO at the next. Choose companies wisely.

Your examples are good companies, but they're not hiring 250 hour Comm/Inst rated kids, and never will. They're kinda the "holy grail" of pro aviation... there's a lot of years of flying at less than poverty level, and then even more at a barely livable wage, to be done prior to reaching those left or right seats at those companies.

I forgot, there's also "cycles"... you start at the right time, you'll get hired in one of those big "blocks" that airlines like to do... then if you can hang on past that first furlough, and play your cards right, you might get through the whole obstacle course quickly.

Hire on at the wrong part of the roughly 10 year "cycle" and you're hosed. Four layoffs/furloughs, and you're a 55 year old FO barely holding a line on a turboprop.

And most of those "successful" guys & gals don't fly into Omaha and thus probably aren't talking with Jesse. He's likely talking with the $18k per year crowd.

FedEx, American, Delta and Southwest all operate into OMA.

Your $18k figure is 1st year FO at a paltry turboprop operator. While regional guys are not getting rich, very few actually make $18k a year.

Your $18k figure is 1st year FO at a paltry turboprop operator. While regional guys are not getting rich, very few actually make $18k a year.

OMA ?? :dunno:

The clueful note this when they start training and either realize they're in for an incredibly long haul (pun intended?) at virtually no pay to make it to where they can even apply for one of those companies, or they bail. They also do tons of extracurricular stuff, teach safety seminars, etc etc etc... just to stand out from the crowd just a tiny bit.

The clueless believe the big school hype (ERAU has got to be the worst about this, and UND used to be pretty big on their hype) and run up $100K in student loan debt to get that first job.

Job prospects for young folk are bad all over today, but when the economy is good, the above scenario doesn't change much, and other careers are more lucrative and a lot easier to get started in.

I'm not saying it's not worth it for some, but I know some highly motivated guys who ended up living in 20 person crash-pads workin' for Mesa...

They all bumped a lot of folks to even get there, and were excellent pilots and life-decision-makers. They knew what they were in for. But they also were just hoping they could put gas in the car to get to the airport to get to work, most days. They were expecting to do this for multiple years prior to having enough time to move up to something that paid a tiny bit more.

If... and only if... they got hired by someone to fly turbine stuff and that company didn't go under and they didn't get furloughed (some do, multiple times), they'd maybe make it to big iron in 10 years. Then they'd be making a reasonable wage, but still have any student loan debt they were crazy enough to build up, to pay back. By about age 45, again, assuming no furloughs and company changes, they'd finally be putting something away for retirement.

Get caught in the furlough speed bump back down to the very bottom of someone else's seniority pool, you're set back 10 or more years in earning potential, no matter how fat your logbook is.

That's got to be the STRANGEST part of professional aviation. Sure it could happen in any job, but it's guaranteed in aviation. Usually a "Senior" anything in any other job gets rehired as a "Senior" again at the next company. It might be a pay bump down, but they're not usually assigned back to the entry-level job. Their experience is too valuable.

Not in professional aviation. Unions say it's all about seniority, at that company... which is the odd part. You could have been a 20 year Captain on big iron at the company that went under, you're hired as the bottom of the totem-pole FO at the next. Choose companies wisely.

Your examples are good companies, but they're not hiring 250 hour Comm/Inst rated kids, and never will. They're kinda the "holy grail" of pro aviation... there's a lot of years of flying at less than poverty level, and then even more at a barely livable wage, to be done prior to reaching those left or right seats at those companies.

Excellent life decision makers and Mesa airlines does not compute.

Anyone who went to Mesa did not do his/her due diligence on picking an employer.

Mesa is the bottom of the bottom.

The Federal Government says Poverty Level is roughly $23K for a family of four. It's not great shakes for a lonely FO of one, either.

----
"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, this is your First Officer speaking. Even though your ticket says American Airlines, you all now know from finally figuring it out that we're not American, and they just contract to us to haul your butts to a 'real' airport."

"My name is Bob, and I am currently working below the Federal Government Poverty line. You Captain today, Mr. X, upgraded this year and has exactly six months flying for the Company, and moved to this aircraft from another, so he has less hours flying it than most people have driven their own cars this year. He's now being paid just above the poverty line by a couple thousand bucks, and that means he's buying dinner tonight when we get back to the house we both rent with six other pilots in skid row as far from the airport as one could possibly get."

"We welcome you aboard, and ask you to sit still -- the seat pitch is far too close now for you to actually sit back anymore on an airplane, you'll note that with your knees in your face, you're already as close to the crash position as you can get, and we won't bother briefing that today."

"Please feel free to buy something from that overpriced catalog in the seat pocket in front of you, if you can pull your legs back far enough to get it out, while we show you some crap a TV network paid us to shove into your eyeballs, including previews of their upcoming awful sitcoms this fall, and some product placement and other direct advertising."

"And as always, if you need anything, our surly Flight Attendants who thought this would be a glamorous job but are making less than I am, will be happy to attend to your every whim."

"Oh, sorry... never mind... we're a 19 passenger aircraft, there won't be any need for flight attendants. We used to roll a Coke down the aisle to you, but you bought the 'cheaper than riding a Greyhound Bus' fare tickets, all of you, so that perk is gone. If we had a Coke to roll to you, we would ask that when you open it, please clean it up, as this aircraft does so many quick turns, it won't be cleaned until next Sunday."

"Anyway... Sit up, shut up, buckle up, and don't throw up... and Welcome Aboard!"

Excellent life decision makers and Mesa airlines does not compute.

Anyone who went to Mesa did not do his/her due diligence on picking an employer.

Mesa is the bottom of the bottom.

I understand that. No one else was hiring. They hit the "lottery of timing" wrong. Seriously. (This was a number of years ago. Most I've lost touch with... I doubt more than 1 in 5 made it to a "real" airline or cockpit.)

Omaha.

With the airlines I think timing means a lot. I know some people who had good timing. I also know people who had some terrible timing. Coming from a fairly unstructured background I was never that attracted to the airlines. But I have been asked over and over again if that's something I want to do. I can't count the number of times people told me to apply when I was younger. It was as if that was something everyone should aspire to do and you were missing the boat if you didn't. Even as recently as a few years ago a retired major airline pilot told me I should apply, and that was after I heard a tirade from him about what happened to his retirement and how badly managed his ex-airline was. :dunno:

Airport in Nebraska.

The Federal Government says Poverty Level is roughly $23K for a family of four. It's not great shakes for a lonely FO of one, either.

It's hard to live on. I've been there. Done that. There are lots of airlines who should not be allowed to pay what they do.

A 1st year FO at Great Lakes will make $15K and he's flying in the mountains in horrible conditions. It's sick.

Thanks for the OMA thing...... It had been a LONG day and I didn't put 2+2 together....:wink2::wink2::rolleyes:

No one ever said those seats were obtainable to 250 hour commercial pilots.

Your rant about "poverty level" flying is amusing. Perhaps that's all you've been associated with.

I've been in professional aviation for 30+ years. I have many acquaintances that started out like me, worked their way up and made out very well.

Reminds me of a conversation I once had:

A few years back a crew scheduler commented to me "It's not fair you pilots make so much money, get all that time off."

My reply? "Not my problem you decided to skip career day back in High School."

Twenty days off a month and when I do fly it's to all the places I used to read about in the National Geographic and dream of going to when I was a kid. My credit cards, cars, plane and HOUSE are all paid off and I still have seventeen years to go if I want. But if you must feel sorry for me - go ahead it's all right, I'll wave as I fly over ;)

Last edited:
Twenty days off a month and when I do fly it's to all the places I used to read about in the National Geographic and dream of going to when I was a kid. My credit cards, cars, plane and HOUSE are all paid off and I still have seventeen years to go if I want. But if you must feel sorry for me - go ahead it's all right
;)

:D :thumbsup:

Twenty days off a month and when I do fly it's to all the places I used to read about in the National Geographic and dream of going to when I was a kid. My credit cards, cars, plane and HOUSE are all paid off and I still have seventeen years to go if I want. But if you must feel sorry for me - go ahead it's all right, I'll wave as I fly over ;)

Well, I only get 18 a month.. ;)

Yeah, I do also. But they're all my age (50 ish) not Jesse's age (I'll let him fill in the blank)

And most of those "successful" guys & gals don't fly into Lincoln or Omaha and thus probably aren't talking with Jesse. He's likely talking with the $18k per year crowd.

And like someone else said...many (most?) of yesterday's lucrative careers aren't today.
18k I can't even imagine. 40k is still just not enough. It would take a six figure salary for me to even consider a career change into the airline world. No airline is going to hand me a six figure salary - therefore I'm not about to become an airline pilot. Fine with me :)

What I'm hearing here is that most people here are happy with their career selection. Cool.

No one ever said those seats were obtainable to 250 hour commercial pilots.

No but they have to start somewhere.

Could you survive on CFI pay today?

Would you carry liability insurance?

Have a medical plan?

Have kids or a spouse?

I know I'm perhaps in the lucky minority, but even when I was holding down three part-time jobs in school, one of them offered a high but reasonably priced medical plan, that was higher than their plan for full-timers, but it worked out for me.

If I'd have continued the airline/pro flying route in 1994 or so, I'd have been charging $25/Hr as a CFI and dead broke for many many years. It was a bad time in the cycle.

The only people hiring then were the upstart regionals about to rape the industry such as Mesa, Air Wisconsin, and back East, Comair, American Eagle, and the like.

All of them had just learned the "you come to us and pay big bucks for us to see if you can fly our simulator" trick, and flight schools and colleges were cranking out about double the number of pilots that were being hired.

Easily double. Maybe triple.

It's timing. Get in the right year's class and have the right SSN or Last Name so your seniority number beats 2/3 of the class, you might survive the inevitable furlough.

These companies had (and many still have) tenuous or flat-out flawed business models. (Deregulation has been messy. Very messy.)

Right around then was also when the regionals stopped being operated by the mainlines and you didn't get any time toward seniority at the main carrier anymore.

That was a huge change and screwed up a lot of folks. Everyone adjusted, but it hasn't ever been the same since.

Were you "in" before that? 30 years seems to be during that sweet spot of a few hiring classes that moved on through without getting caught in the melee of regionals, and later the RJ craze.

Your rant about "poverty level" flying is amusing. Perhaps that's all you've been associated with.

Ha. Well, I've never met a rich CFI and I'm definitely squarely a GA pilot only, so perhaps. ;)

I've met plenty of *happy* CFIs though, and quite a few who aren't just building time -- they want to stay CFIs and teach.

I've also met a lot more poor pro pilots than I have rich ones. About a ten to one ratio, I suppose.

Granted there are CFIs with contracts to airlines and high-performance GA simulator and Type Ratings places like FlightSafety and Accelerated training companies like PIC -- Hi Ron! -- who (I hope) make a reasonable living at it.

My experiences with those folks so far are nil, other than to lose a CFII to a monster contract that had him in a simulator from sun-up to sundown teaching folks to fly Beech 1900s.

FBO CFIs seem constantly broke. Maybe happy, but broke. Take food into any FBO and watch how fast it disappears. Same with charter pilots. My fishing buddies and I fed a bunch of floatplane pilots for days on the left-overs we brought out of the bush in Northern Ontario after our catches of Walleye were big and we didn't have to eat our packed-in staples. They were really excited. Those coolers saved them a week's salary I'm sure.

I haven't had a need to go beyond Private yet. I still don't, but I miss the challenge of the Instrument stuff. Is it justifiable financially or by the weather where I live? Heck no. It's just a personal challenge.

The CFII I lost was saying the only time we could meet was 05:30 on only a couple of weekday mornings a week...

I politely told him I'm generally worthless at that hour of the morning, and that I appreciated his tough curriculum and organization (rare, by the way) but I wouldn't be his student if that was the only time he could meet. This is my hobby, not my job.

"Fun per dollar" had fallen through the floor.

The contract came up suddenly for him and I could see he was willing to kill himself to finish up FBO students like myself, but that would have been silly. The poor guy was half-asleep the two times we met that early, and I happily paid him in full the time I got paged to work at 2AM and then slept through a lesson, showing up 1/2 hour late.

He was asleep on the couch next to the simulator when I arrived, barely dressed and not prepared to fly even a Sim.

We parted amicably and no harm no foul. But he was the only contact I've had with the "high-end" of the CFI (CFII) pay scale. So far.

I've been in professional aviation for 30+ years. I have many acquaintances that started out like me, worked their way up and made out very well.

I never said it wasn't possible. I just said there's a lot of drop-outs and force-outs who never made it to where you are today. The attrition rate is really high in pro aviation.

People saying they "picked the wrong airline" holds some truth, but sometimes the "good guys" aren't hiring and you need a job.

You take what you can get and hope to [deity] you don't get squashed by the seniority system.

Pro pilots don't compete on skillset once they're established in a company, other than against themselves in the Sim rides and checkrides. It's all about that Seniority number. Nobody says, "That FO is Sierra Hotel! Get him out of the Beech 1900 and move him into 777s! He's going places!" :rofl:

You bid your line, fly to standards or above because you challenge yourself, and you wait. When someone retires or dies, you move up a rung. If a corporate raider kills your company, you start at the bottom at the next place. You might bypass the turboprops and go back into a mainline, you might not.

I don't think "All ATPs" or "American Flyers" or the ratings mill ilk go around putting that nugget of truth into their flyers for ab initio programs.

It's always "guaranteed interview!" and "fastest way to the left seat!".

Universities are better about the realism, but ERAU, UND, UNU, and my Alma Matter, Metro State... Are selling and pitching almost as hard as the ratings mills, and you're going to be a lot poorer at the end of their curriculum if you're not careful to pay as you go, or have parents/family hoisting you financially up the ladder.

I didn't have that luxury. It was three jobs, school, and little sleep for years. I would have made it to CFI, exhausted and broke but without significant debt.

I got an offer from one of the employers for full-time with bennies. I had to jump. Married to a lovely nurse (an underpaid position if there ever was one!) I travelled extensively as an Appeasement Engineer (er... Field Engineer) and hit the timing right in tech to be managing people 1/2 my age within just a few years. I got to argue with rental car people who wouldn't give me the keys to the car to go to a customer site that the test gear I was carrying was worth more than twice what the car was worth by the time I was a Product Support Engineer at the third "tier" when they said I was too young to rent a car.

Eventually, I learned something about myself -- that I prefer being able to get a job or a raise on merit. I've been the guy told, "No one else in the department is getting a raise this year. Please keep this quiet," and handed a raise and a bonus, more than once.

That's not bragging, it's just how I do business. You hired me for a job, you're not going to regret it. I was brought up that way. You'd better be prepared to pay for it. I know what the rate of inflation is, I know what you're getting paid (I read financial reports), and I know how much money I made or saved you this year. I also know if it's a good or bad year.

Many just don't pay attention to any of that. It's a job. They have other things to do, or kids to raise... Okay. Sometimes they just do the minimum to get by. I don't.

Reminds me of a conversation I once had:

A few years back a crew scheduler commented to me "It's not fair you pilots make so much money, get all that time off."

My reply? "Not my problem you decided to skip career day back in High School."

Heh. Good ol' "Screw Scheduling." There's a whole world of system gaming going on there, but that's a different topic. Computers took all the fun out of that game. ;)

I get it. Really I do. I've had the same conversation with aspiring Junior techs. I'm usually a *little* kinder than telling them they screwed up in high-school, though. ;) I usually suggest some ways they could wow the boss and move up, or explain that while they're asleep, I'm reading release notes and writing plans for the systems to stay ahead.

In my line of work, they can do that. Move up. In pro aviation the seniority system won't allow it. You bide your time and wait.

It's one thing to "pay your dues" while trying to work your way up. It's another to have a rigid structure as your only career path.

I don't fit well in that system. I could live with it -- and would have -- if my analysis had shown that I would have made it to a livable paycheck in say, five years time.

But I hit the cycle wrong, and I'm okay with that.

I really enjoy the tech work that I do now. I really enjoy that it affords me enough "disposable" income (what an awful word) to own part of an LLC that owns a nice 182. And I think there's still plenty of opportunity out there for those willing to buckle down. Want an "exciting" career in tech? Answer your cell phone at 2AM and *know* how to troubleshoot the problem.

I joke with junior techs... "When the engine is on fire, it's probably too late to break out the Pilot's Operating Handbook." My aviation background of "be prepared for emergencies" serves well in the universally poorly planned and executed IT world.

"What's your out when this goes wrong?" is another oft-quoted phrase I use with gung-ho techs. Straight out of my aviation-addicted head.

Dislikes in tech are inept businesspeople without a profitable business plan trying to muck with computer systems (always a disaster) or outright business liars (I worked for Continental on the ramp right after the Frank Lorenzo rape and pillage stuff - a lot of people hurt by that guy for his own personal gain, and I've seen it repeated in tech companies in the late 90s).

Another downside: I've been on-call now since 1994 virtually 24/7 with a cell phone long before they were common, and it's kinda like holding a permanent Reserve line.

That part isn't great, but my VP shows up when the you-know-what hits the fan. I won't work for guys who sleep through crises that put the company's business at risk. They're the worst people you'd ever care to meet.

I'll also go out of my way to try to make systems work that weren't properly engineered, so we can both sleep at night.

Right now I also have a beef with companies that chop vacation time to nil when you go to work for them. It's ultra-common to hear "non-negotiable" on that one in today's job market. Fine. I'll get my time back eventually in spades, legitimately, if we're playing that way. I write a mean proposal for off-site training. Really, I do. One whiff of hearing you have a training budget and I'm going somewhere. You'll find my arguments very compelling. Timing. Always timing. ;)

You made aviation work for you. It's cool. Very cool.

I've made tech work for me, so far.

I try to add some more aviation accomplishments to my list of "no regrets", and who knows... maybe someday that'll include "CFI" just for the fun of teaching and sharing aviation.

My first CFI flies 777s now. He was broke and hungry when I met him. Divorced. Running ragged.

Awesome teacher, a natural. He passed on to me knowledge that has kept me alive now for 20 years of aviating with a big gap in the middle.

He's had another divorce later. Aviation screwed his personal life for years. He now is happily married again, grandbabies popping out all over, making a wicked good living in the 777, and doing great.

But that is, like you, 30 years in. He started when he was a pup. It wasn't easy. His company has whittled at his retirement, the mandatory retirement age jumped, his bennies have been chopped at, he's been through mergers, he's now treated like a criminal to board the aircraft...

Would I have enjoyed it? Sure! Always enjoy what you're doing. Or change it. There's no second chances.

Did I personally end up a LOT better off bailing out of pro aviation when I did? Absolutely!

The kids going in today have it harder than I would have. I'm in awe of their love of aviation that keeps them eating Ramen noodles in a 20 person crash-pad. They're tough! Really tough! I applaud them.

But I never sugar-coat the fiscal risks they take getting into the pro aviation biz via the airlines.

Almost none are fiscally sound on their balance sheets, no matter how pretty their leased jets are, and there's only a few left with sound management. And world events seriously jack with airlines.

It's a tough biz. There's tough pilots who'll gladly take the jobs. That's very cool. But pro aviation as a primary career for me is water waaaay under the bridge. Or so I think, anyway.

Kent's going to pop in here any second with his, "My Commercial rating got me right-seat time in a jet" story, any second now. ;) ;) ;)

Ah, good, this explains the rift.

Dear Art,

You Suck.

Love, Tim.

Seriously, I'm glad it's worked out well for you. I know folks at both extremes, but not many in the middle. I am GUESSING it has a lot to do with timing. Hmm... maybe surfing is a required skill for pilots, so you can spot the proper wave.

Back