GA pilot versus airline pilot rift. What causes it?

What I'm hearing here is that most people here are happy with their career selection. Cool.
Sort of. I think you are hearing that people are happy with their career selection. But a few people, ok maybe one person, are not happy that other people did not select the career selection of airline pilot. ;)

Sort of. I think you are hearing that people are happy with their career selection. But a few people, ok maybe one person, are not happy that other people did not select the career selection of airline pilot. ;)

This is just a guess, but it appears more to me, not that the person has an issue with people not being airline pilots, I think he may have more of an issue of non-airline pilots acting like they "get" what it is to be an airline pilot.

Well, the part 121 world is definitely going to get very interesting in about a year. That's when the big glut of over 60 guys who have hung around start turning 65. And unlike ALL the other supposed pilot shortages this one is very much for real and I'll tell you why - This time NO ONE is waiting on the sidelines to scoop up the ball and run with it for all of the very reasons that you gentlemen have just outlined.

The amazing thing is the airlines have done it to themselves and they don't even realize it. Most airline HR departments have their respective heads DEEP in the sand on this one. Most military commitments for flight school are now in the neighborhood of TWELVE years. Let's see that put's most guys at the rank of Major or very senior Captain and there's just no way their gonna take that kind of a pay hit. Consider too the advances in the UAV world and their guaranteed continued increased role thereby reducing the military's need for real pilots and I think we can all but consider the military pipeline to be running near a trickle.

Furthermore if the 1500 hr requirement is allowed to exist than the regional s will have an even bigger problem back-filling all of the slots that the part 121 carriers just robbed from them. Even with generous exclusions of the 1500 hr rule allowed for to University's with "astronaut programs" that's still nowhere near enough bodies to fill pilot seats.

Last edited:
So for all the airline pilots making bank, how many years in the business before you cracked six figures for an annual income?
Oh, and that's six figures in decimal form (not binary) to the left of the decimal point.

Well, the part 121 world is definitely going to get very interesting in about a year. That's when the big glut of over 60 guys who have hung around start turning 65. And unlike ALL the other supposed pilot shortages this one is very much for real and I'll tell you why - This time NO ONE is waiting on the sidelines to scoop up the ball and run with it for all of the very reasons that you gentlemen have just outlined.

The amazing thing is the airlines have done it to themselves and they don't even realize it. Most airline HR departments have their respective heads DEEP in the sand on this one. Most military commitments for flight school are now in the neighborhood of TWELVE years. Let's see that put's most guys at the rank of Major or very senior Captain and there's just no way their gonna take that kind of a pay hit. Consider too the advances in the UAV world and their guaranteed continued increased role thereby reducing the military's need for real pilots and I think we can all but consider the military pipeline to be running near a trickle.

Furthermore if the 1500 hr requirement is allowed to exist than the regional s will have an even bigger problem back-filling all of the slots that the part 121 carriers just robbed from them. Even with generous exclusions of the 1500 hr rule allowed for to University's with "astronaut programs" that's still nowhere near enough bodies to fill pilot seats.

You are spot on. It's about to get very interesting.

I'm currently trying to bail out of the industry, if I can make it happen.

Rift or not, it's very interesting to hear what life is like in the Part 121 world.

Mesa is the bottom of the bottom.
Actually, I think HoJets (aka GoJets) is the bottom of the bottom...but then I suppose they are Mesa.....

But there is an iteresting discussion.....wich is the worst.....Mesa, where the FO gets paid in the old peanuts that the Majors used to serve......or an outfit like Gulfstream, where the FO PAYS the airline to sit in the right seat?

The amazing thing is the airlines have done it to themselves and they don't even realize it. Most airline HR departments have their respective heads DEEP in the sand on this one. Most military commitments for flight school are now in the neighborhood of TWELVE years. Let's see that put's most guys at the rank of Major or very senior Captain and there's just no way their gonna take that kind of a pay hit.
Your reasoning as to why there are fewer former military guys going into the airlines is exactly true -

I am an active O4.....I would love to fly 121 (or even 135), but I make way too much money in my current job to leave the military and start flying for a regional. And I don't have a chance (way too little time) of getting a job with a major. Consequently, the aviation community has a retention problem......too many guys sticking around that promotion opportunities are going down. Promotion opportunities in the Surface Community are at least 20-30 percent higher at the O-5/O-6 level than for the brown shoes.

However, it isn't just the airlines that have done that...at the same time that starting airline pay has been getting so crappy, military pay and benefits have increased exponentially in the last decade. Also, while the hiring landscape has changed from heavy ex-military pilots in the airlines, I still have a hard time believing that we are really going to see this apocolyptical 'pilot shortage' that alot of wishful thinkers are promulgating.

I am constantly seeing guys with 3-4000 hrs and plenty of turbine time applying for 30-40K per year corporate jobs. There are plenty of commercial pilots waiting in the shadows to fill any gaps that develop when the old guard retires.

Also, aviation is a unique profession. Some people will do anything to fly. As long as there are kids who are willing to PAY to be first officers, then there will be no pilot shortage.

This is just a guess, but it appears more to me, not that the person has an issue with people not being airline pilots, I think he may have more of an issue of non-airline pilots acting like they "get" what it is to be an airline pilot.
Well I know of no post in this thread where anyone 'acted' like they get. I do know of at least one post where I stated my personal opinion of why I would not want that job for me and then I saw a dismissal of my opinion and someone wanting to tell me what I should think. I found that amusing, arrogant and closed minded, mostly because it presumed to understand my frame of reference. I happy that the airline pilots here like their jobs. I would not want their job at all. I think it stinks and is not something to aspire to. But that is for me. I am sure that many of them would hate what I do. I however do not call their opinion "inane". I recognize that we all make choices.

It seems to me that the whole topic here is really a few people who want to think that others are jealous of them. At least that is what it seems and what Jesse posted he experienced as well. Airline pilot is just not my cup of tea. I get to go to enough of big airports and flying on big jets as pax and that gives me enough fill of the horrible experience that airline travel is. To have to do it as a job would be my personal hell. I also work with a few former pilots who gave up the life of an airline pilot to go back into engineering, four of them in fact. And they were flying big iron too. Not leaving from the regional airlines at all. Heck, one of the posters just a couple of posts back is writing about he wants to bail on the industry as well. I also know several who retired and since getting the shaft on their pension have not had a whole lot of nice things to say about the management of their airline employers.

Bottom line one person does not speak for everyone. I spoke for myself.

Last edited:
So for all the airline pilots making bank, how many years in the business before you cracked six figures for an annual income?
Oh, and that's six figures in decimal form (not binary) to the left of the decimal point.

Ya know, curiosity got the best of me so I went to look it up. I'm not trying to get everyone to start slamming their dicks on the table or anything, just answering the question so anyone from the outside looking in can see what a "career progression" looks like pay wise from '99 til now. Am I typical? I don't know. I know pilots that have it a lot worse off and others that my salary will barely cover their tax burden. Ok, that's an exaggeration... :)

Starting in 1999 I was hired at a regional as a turboprop FO:

1999: hired early summer: $16k for the 8 months or so.

2000: started upgrade training late in the year but making min pay until training was completed in mid '01: $38k

2001: $58k as an RJ captain

2002: $63k doing the same thing

2003: $64k, again, doing the same thing

2004: $85k, doing the same thing but working the system better

2005: This year I switched to a major airline and took a huge pay hit late in the year: $60k as a 757/767 FO

2006: on probation most of the year, $50k (see above about the pay hit)

2007: off probation and played the system, $105k (so there's your answer, 8yrs)

2008: $115k

2009: $125k

2010: $121k

2011: Switched to the 777, $130k-ish and home more than my wife wants me here. Averaged about 8 days of work a month through the summer. It's great, though, since I have a new born at home and I can watch her grow up in front of my eyes instead of hearing about it on the phone.

'08-'11 I've been working less and less as the pay has increased, hence the lack of upward movement in pay those years.

My "forward progression" took quite a hit, as did nearly everyone's, because of 9/11 and the cutbacks the airlines did. It happened again in '08-now with the great recession. But as was said before, with the aging pilot group we have in the making for an actual need for pilots. If someone was a CA or an FO that was about to upgrade at a regional, places like AMR and USAirways will be looking good in the not-too distant future. They have a ton of older pilots that will be headed out the door starting in Dec 2012.

All that being said, I think I've been pretty lucky in my career as I have avoided furloughs (post '01 and also the 08-now) and managed to get on with a major at a "young" age (30ish). Not everyone that wants to make it to a major will succeed. Nature of the business.

Same here, about 8 years to a six figure salary.

I never did the Regional/Commuter type flying instead doing charter/night freight/Corporate route to the airline.

Last edited:

No need to talk about me in 3rd person. ;)

And I never claimed to "get" it, I said it's a tough industry to break into, and we do a disservice to young people if we make it seem easy, or even fiscally sound.

Everyone's situation is different. If mom or dad paid for ERAU and one applies oneself, you can join the ranks of Seniority-number wielding airline pilots anytime.

If you paid your own way in, you're probably starting at $18/hour after many years of [insert whatever flying you can beg/borrow/steal here] and saddled with $50K in debt that'll last for a couple of decades. Especially if you have a family to support.

The JOB of airline pilot is great. The pay, not so good for the first [edited] 10 years. It's just a different system. Some jobs are the opposite... you'll make a lot as an NFL player before you're 50...

Last edited:
Ya know, curiosity got the best of me so I went to look it up. I'm not trying to get everyone to start slamming their dicks on the table or anything, just answering the question so anyone from the outside looking in can see what a "career progression" looks like pay wise from '99 til now. Am I typical? I don't know. I know pilots that have it a lot worse off and others that my salary will barely cover their tax burden. Ok, that's an exaggeration... :)

2000: started upgrade training late in the year but making min pay until training was completed in mid '01: $38k

2005: This year I switched to a major airline and took a huge pay hit late in the year: $60k as a 757/767 FO

2011: Switched to the 777, $130k-ish and home more than my wife wants me here. Averaged about 8 days of work a month through the summer. It's great, though, since I have a new born at home and I can watch her grow up in front of my eyes instead of hearing about it on the phone.

'08-'11 I've been working less and less as the pay has increased, hence the lack of upward movement in pay those years.

My "forward progression" took quite a hit, as did nearly everyone's, because of 9/11 and the cutbacks the airlines did. It happened again in '08-now with the great recession. But as was said before, with the aging pilot group we have in the making for an actual need for pilots. If someone was a CA or an FO that was about to upgrade at a regional, places like AMR and USAirways will be looking good in the not-too distant future. They have a ton of older pilots that will be headed out the door starting in Dec 2012.

All that being said, I think I've been pretty lucky in my career as I have avoided furloughs (post '01 and also the 08-now) and managed to get on with a major at a "young" age (30ish). Not everyone that wants to make it to a major will succeed. Nature of the business.

Thanks! Typical or not, that's a lot "sunnier" than the picture I had in my head.

What did you do prior to 1999 to get into a position to be hired as a FO?

TMetzinger said:
Thanks! Typical or not, that's a lot "sunnier" than the picture I had in my head.
Unless you could get a FO job back then without any training, education, or certificates then there is another piece of this that wasn't mentioned.

College and flight instruction. The late '90s hiring boom was in full swing. I had 1000hrs or so when I was hired.

MUCH different than someone attempting the same path even 3 years earlier. The "timing" in this job is the lucky part.

Unless you could get a FO job back then without any training, education, or certificates then there is another piece of this that wasn't mentioned.

I started the timeline from the regional point onwards as anyone what wants to do something for a living in aviation will need the basics (CSEL, maybe MEL and CFI/I) no matter what path they take, be it airline, corporate, professional instruction, charter, etc. In 1999 is where my path diverged into the airlines.

Last edited:

Sheesh, I was the one making that argument, and then I completely missed it in the list.

You're right. There's another five to ten years more "stuff" before that, isn't there?

MUCH different than someone attempting the same path even 3 years earlier.
Or 3 years later... even one year later.
The "timing" in this job is the lucky part.
Exactly. No one can really predict the timing in the future either.

I had another thought too. People who have had it rough in their aviation career are unlikely to be hanging out here so we are probably pretty self-selecting for more positive stories.

I do know at "boom" times that flight instructors with 500 or so and 25 multi were getting hired by several regionals... Quite a few washed out in initial training but others did well and prospered.

I do know at "boom" times that flight instructors with 500 or so and 25 multi were getting hired by several regionals... Quite a few washed out in initial training but others did well and prospered.
True, but those tended to be the bottom feeders as I recall. About 4-5 years ago, Mesa was hiring people with under 500TT and NO ME!....you got hired, went through their pilot school to get your ME rating and then started off in the right seat....but the catch was you had to work for peanuts and deal with Ornstein.

True, but those tended to be the bottom feeders as I recall. About 4-5 years ago, Mesa was hiring people with under 500TT and NO ME!....you got hired, went through their pilot school to get your ME rating and then started off in the right seat....but the catch was you had to work for peanuts and deal with Ornstein.

Mesa also had pilots bringing 2x4's to work so they could have something to lay on, while sleeping in the airplane on their over nights... :yikes:

Twenty days off a month and when I do fly it's to all the places I used to read about in the National Geographic and dream of going to when I was a kid. My credit cards, cars, plane and HOUSE are all paid off and I still have seventeen years to go if I want. But if you must feel sorry for me - go ahead it's all right, I'll wave as I fly over ;)
I only feel sorry for you because I get to point the airplane where I (or my wife) want to go.:D

For a slightly different perspective my neighbor is one of those pilots who soloed on his 16th, was flying for a major by the time he could (legally) buy beer and is currently close to or in the top ten seniority wise. In his own words if he had to start over today he'd probably choose a different career. That probably must not be definitely because his son has graduated from a 4 year college aviation program and is aiming for an airline job himself. But over the years (typically as a result of mergers) he's been knocked back to first officer or reserve captain multiple times, had his salary chopped by more than 25% and reported to management that he ought to be hanged and then shot. The latest hit on his workplace enjoyment came this summer when the airline announced that they were dropping all the wide body equipment at his base so he's going to have to commute to another hub or move for his last 7 years (assuming he goes to 65). At least twice in the last ten years he said he was seriously contemplating quitting the airlines and doing something else but that was probably just venting.

I only feel sorry for you because I get to point the airplane where I (or my wife) want to go.:D

For a slightly different perspective my neighbor is one of those pilots who soloed on his 16th, was flying for a major by the time he could (legally) buy beer and is currently close to or in the top ten seniority wise. In his own words if he had to start over today he'd probably choose a different career. That probably must not be definitely because his son has graduated from a 4 year college aviation program and is aiming for an airline job himself. But over the years (typically as a result of mergers) he's been knocked back to first officer or reserve captain multiple times, had his salary chopped by more than 25% and reported to management that he ought to be hanged and then shot. The latest hit on his workplace enjoyment came this summer when the airline announced that they were dropping all the wide body equipment at his base so he's going to have to commute to another hub or move for his last 7 years (assuming he goes to 65). At least twice in the last ten years he said he was seriously contemplating quitting the airlines and doing something else but that was probably just venting.

Oh, I get to point my personal airplane where I want to go as well ! :) As for your friends tale of woe and misery - PLEASE keep them coming, they do much to discourage others from wanting to enter the vocation and in the interim make me and my services all the more valuable ! :D

Last edited:
I had another thought too. People who have had it rough in their aviation career are unlikely to be hanging out here so we are probably pretty self-selecting for more positive stories.

Very good point. I know of a lot of people that were in the industry (meaning they started their pilot training because they wanted to fly for the a living and not because they necessarily loved it) that either quit early on in training or after being furloughed. The ones that don't "love flying" hung up their spurs completely and you won't find them on here or any other aviation internet boards. If I were to lose my job or otherwise couldn't/didn't fly for a living, I would be at the local airport flying planes. I wanted to be an airline pilot because A) I love flying and B) it pays well with good benefits and time off.

Now the "B" part of that has changed considerably since even when I started 12 years ago, let alone for someone who flew during the '60s. However, my personal experience has been a pretty good one and I love the job. Someone starting out today would need to think long and hard about what they are getting into, though. It can be a very long and bumpy road.

I hope you are right. The last REAL pilot shortage was in the mid to late '60s. We were in the middle of the Viet Nam War and all of the available pilots seemed to have been sucked up by the military. Airlines were literally hiring Private Pilots and training them.

It's been a roller coaster ride ever since. I have been hearing shortage since 1978. Maybe there is something to it. I guess we will find out.

18k I can't even imagine. 40k is still just not enough. It would take a six figure salary for me to even consider a career change into the airline world. No airline is going to hand me a six figure salary - therefore I'm not about to become an airline pilot. Fine with me :)

You know, not everyone is lucky enough to drop right in to a 6 figure salary. It takes a lot of time in a career for most people to attain that goal.

But since you asked, starting from 1983 when I graduated college.

1983 $ 7,443 CFI About 1,000 hours total time.
1984 10,357 CFI Fresh ATP late in year
1985 15,640 CFI, Corporate, and first commuter job. About 3,000 hours.
1986 18,940 Cessna 402 and Twin Otter Captain
1987 19,807 Same, plus Jetstream 31 First Officer About 4,500 hours. This was also the year I interviewed with United.
1988 25,724 Jetstream 31 Captain
1989 22,390 Boeing 727 Flight Engineer. About 6,500 hours
1990 37,355 Boeing 737 First Officer
1991 57,081
1992 66,508
1993 80,258
1994 85,514
1995 80,475 Airbus 320 First Officer. Also year ill fated ESOP was started.
1996 92,387
1997 115,630 Boeing 777 First Officer
1998 128,969

Without going into the sordid details, I have been within a few thousand of that level ever since. There were some spectacular years between then and now, but they were anomalies. Also, I could be doing better than that now, but lifestyle is more important to me. Until my lifestyle changes, I am more or less content with what I have.

I have posted this before, but if you want a look into the pay scales of the various airlines, take a look here.

Last edited:
Richard Bach wrote and interesting little article describing the difference between an "Aviator" and a "Flyer." Basically he says that the Aviator flies for the purpose of transportation, while the Flyer flies because he loves to fly.

Richard Bach wrote and interesting little article describing the difference between an "Aviator" and a "Flyer." Basically he says that the Aviator flies for the purpose of transportation, while the Flyer flies because he loves to fly.

So why do they call them frequent flyer miles and not frequent aviator miles. :D

So why can't one be both?

Very good point. I know of a lot of people that were in the industry (meaning they started their pilot training because they wanted to fly for the a living and not because they necessarily loved it) that either quit early on in training or after being furloughed. The ones that don't "love flying" hung up their spurs completely and you won't find them on here or any other aviation internet boards.
Unlike Tim (I think it was Tim) who said that he only knew people with very good stories or very bad stories, I think I know more people with average success as airline pilots. I don't think it was quite the package they were sold but not that bad either. But then I do know a few pilots who worked their way up through the ranks, all the way to regional captain, got their dream job at a major, then got furloughed less than a year later after 9/11. I know them because they were hired by the company where I work and I ended up training some of them. Coming from a totally different background it was surprising to me at the time that people would be willing to go from a 737 to a King Air. This is also when I realized that if you have spent most of your time flying as part of a crew that it's hard to go back to single-pilot, and that the thing you have done most recently is the thing you are probably best at. What makes these stories worse is that most of these people took the recall a few years later after working their way up here, and were furloughed again. I can see that even if you loved aviation and flying that it would sour you on the industry. Completely. I also realized how lucky I was to have had stable employment through that period because I had reasonable timing too.

If I were to lose my job or otherwise couldn't/didn't fly for a living, I would be at the local airport flying planes.
Hopefully you have enough put away that it will allow you to do that. People often ask if I want to buy an airplane. During my working life I always felt that I got my flying fix that way and couldn't justify the expense of a personal airplane even though I can probably afford at least a modest one. I should clarify that I have always worked in GA, 15 or so years of flying small piston GA airplanes (mostly mapping) and another 12 of flying turbine ones (air ambulance, charter and corporate) so exploring and going into a large variety of airports has always been a part of my flying life. If became unemployed or "retired" at this age I would need to watch my money much more closely and might not feel I could justify it then either. :dunno:

Oh, I don't make as much as any of the airline pilots here (who have posted) so if you are after money don't follow my example. :rofl:

Last edited:
It's been my observation that the bigger the jet the happier you are usually. In the U.S. wide-bodies are by and large reserved for long haul flying (United had a couple domestic 767s but it looks like Continental is finally getting that sorted out for them) which by it's nature is much more productive - meaning less time at work and more time at home or wherever you would rather be than work. I have a friend at Southwest airlines who does indeed make a bit more money than I do but even he is quick to point out that he works a lot more than I do and flies far more legs per trip than I do. Many of his trips resemble the kind of flying I did when I was at a commuter airline. To each his own I suppose.

My only problem with airline pilots is that its their fault we have the FAA today, and now, many decades later, they act like its our fault they have onerous restrictions on what they can do.

Individually, they're just another pilot, which is a good thing. In a group, they're "better" than us in the baby planes. And, everytime I mention that I'm a private pilot to an airline guy, they automatically assume I'm just starting out, and eventually will walk in their shoes, so they try to give me advice on how to build hours.

No thanks.

In a group, they're "better" than us in the baby planes. And, everytime I mention that I'm a private pilot to an airline guy, they automatically assume I'm just starting out, and eventually will walk in their shoes, so they try to give me advice on how to build hours.

Bemoaning a stereotype while adding one.

Quality work. A+ ;)

I'm an airline pilot. I had zip to do with the FAA, don't care how small your plane is and have zero advice on how you should build time.

What does that have to do with airline pilots? They don't mandate or design the system, they work within it.

Using Nick's logic, it was two airliners flown by..........wait for it.....wait for it.......wait for it.....airline pilots.......that crashed into each other. The public cried, the congress critters reacted, and the FAA was established. Had that event never happened, we may, or may not be where we are today with the FAA.

The FAA and ATC really exists primarily to serve the airlines, and it shows. "KELSI" anyone?

How on earth did you arrive at that conclusion???

Fact.

Back in the day, airline pilots couldn't keep from hitting each other. One particularly bad situation happened in the Grand Canyon (IIRC), where the two planes collided in midair in the middle of nowhere.

Congress passed the Federal Aviation Act shortly afterward, citing that accident as a driving factor.

If not for airlines, we wouldn't have the FAA today. We also wouldn't have a lot of the restrictions we currently have either.

But, that's not the important point - the important point is that the whole user fee debate should focus on the fact that Airliners drove the need for the FAA, and GA just got brought along.

From wikipedia:

On the morning of June 30, 1956, United Flight 718 collided with TWA Flight 2 over the Grand Canyon, resulting in 128 deaths, which was at the time the largest loss of life in an aviation accident. This high profile accident, which took place in uncontrolled airspace, raised public concern for airline safety.[7] In 1957 Congress passed the Airways Modernization Act that established the Airways Modernization Board (AMB) headed by General Elwood Quesada.[6]
Two subsequent mid-air collisions between military aircraft and commercial airliners, one near Las Vegas, Nevada (United Airlines Flight 736) on April 21, 1958, where 49 died, and one involving Capital Airlines over Brunswick, Maryland a month later on May 20 that 11 cost lives, showed further imperfections in the regulation of air traffic, particularly the need for unified control of airspace for civil and military flights.[8][9] The day after the Brunswick collision, Senator Mike Monroney and Representative Oren Harris introduced the Federal Aviation Act.[citation needed] Two days after the Capital Airlines mid-air, a stopgap presidential proclamation was issued that 1) required military jet aircraft to fly by Instrument Flight Rules while in the civil airways below 25,000 ft. (later reduced to 20,000 ft.); 2) prohibited jet penetration swoops from high to low altitudes through civil airways. An exception was made for emerency jet-bomber and fighter "scrambles," which would be continued whenever necessary for the national defense.[10]
Citing "recent midair collisions of aircraft occasioning tragic losses of human life," President Eisenhower announced the White House's support of the legislation on June 13. The legislation passed Congress and was signed into law by Eisenhower on August 23, 1958. Eisenhower appointed AMB Chairman Quesada the first FAA Administrator.[6]
A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the DoD and FAA on the Future of Radar Approach Controls in the National Airspace System, 14 December 1988, states that the FAA "determines the standard for NAS equipment and ATC facilities" and that the "DoD will equip facilities providing services to civil users so that the ATC service is transparent to the user." [11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Aviation_Act_of_1958

Back