G1000 Training Recommendation / ILS Approach

Rock714

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rock714
Can anyone recommend some no cost training for a G1000 ILS approach? Maybe something on the web? I am so used to RNAV I rarely use ILS and want refresh my knowledge. Thanks;

no cost training? you can probably search YouTube as well as anyone else. OTOH, I think the coupled ILS approach in G1000 is one of the more difficult G1000 tasks and I insist on a demonstration when giving IPCs, checkouts, and transition training.

I haven't watched this one but their offerings have been pretty good.

I think the coupled ILS approach in G1000 is one of the more difficult G1000 tasks
Interesting, I never thought it was that hard and I just flew one in actual not long ago. What makes it difficult?

What do you need training on? Pretty much the same thing as an RNAV except you’re loading an ILS into the G1000. You can find some YouTube videos or if you really want to press the buttons, just ask your flight school/club to plug the plane in on the ground so you can mess around with it.

Interesting, I never thought it was that hard and I just flew one in actual not long ago. What makes it difficult?
For those who generally prefer LPV, it's about forgetting the set up steps and about the missed and the extra button pushing and confirmation.

Yes, I have looked at a lot of the uTube videos. I was just wondering if anyone had a series that provided a real step-by-step.
I agree the ILS is a bit more tricky then the RNAV.

Just a few extra button pushes.. but that's not unique to the G1000. A 430/650 still requires you swap the CDI, AND, something that many forget is to ensure you've swapped the correct NAV FREQ into the nav box

This is one area where sometimes the little steam 1976 PA-28 renter is easier.. toss the frequency into the nav and DME box and follow the CDI / GS down.

The series of arming / activating / activating vectors-to-final / flying leg.. etc., sometimes takes away the spirit of what an ILS actually is.. just following a radio signal (basically) down to the runway

There’s a reason DPE’s and Check Airmen refer to the CDI button as the “Pass/Fail button”. :)

Back