For the "Hanger Lawyers":

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Is there a statute of limitations on doing something stupid/in violation, of an FAA rule?
Something that was caught on film, back in 1968.
Asking for a friend, of course.

I don't think there is. But it would have to have been a doozy of a violation for them to have any interest in going back 50 years.

As I recall, the time limit clock doesn't start ticking until the FAA finds out about it.

I assume that Carl was flying.

Is a "hanger" lawyer a lawyer that defends people that hang other people?

Is there a statute of limitations on doing something stupid/in violation, of an FAA rule?
Can you tell us which POA friend this could be?

1968? Does it involve North Vietnam, waterboarding, and sharpened bamboo?

"Hanger Lawyers" in aviation are the equivalent of "Guardhouse Lawyers" in the military.
One of the things that has always annoyed my friend, is how the FAA claims the right to change their minds about something whenever they feel like it.
No murder involved, just joy riding in a CAP plane way, way back in the day.

"Hanger Lawyers" in aviation are the equivalent of "Guardhouse Lawyers" in the military.
One of the things that has always annoyed my friend, is how the FAA claims the right to change their minds about something whenever they feel like it.
Sounds like the Navy Seas Lawyers.

1968? Does it involve North Vietnam, waterboarding, and sharpened bamboo?

Just as a clarification, sharpened bamboo traps weren't a thing in North Vietnam. As far as I know, we never had ground forces north of the 17th parallel.

EDIT: Nevermind, sharpened bamboo fingernail makeovers were a thing in North Vietnam.

As far as I know there was no camera anywhere nearby when I... never mind...

I miss the days when everybody didn't have a cellphone with a camera and 911 on speed dial.

Who has the equipment to play a film recorded in 1968? I'd be willing to be the FAA doesn't.

Ha, I know of two students who flew a 150 to a fly-in cookout. Each thought the other had their ticket, when only one had even soloed. I still worry about being caught.

That friend would have had to have a pilot certificate back in 1968. He didn't.

I'm just wondering of these are plastic hangers, wood hangers or the metal kind.

Not all of the stories that people post on the Internet are true! ;)

Some people don't use a school plane to get their license in, they buy their own.
There is a slight chance those planes go do some extra flying once the pilot gets that first solo under their belt. They might even take their SO at the time, climb up to 8500' and join the mile high club.

I'm just guessing that some people could have done stuff like that.

In the Army we referred to them as “****house Lawyers” or more politely “Latrine Attorneys”. I think there are a few that hangout on various aviation forums, handing out free legal opinions and citing Wikipedia and other legal sources for support. But I think you are likely to be in good shape - most of the witnesses (assuming there were some) 50 years ago are probably dead or incapable of testifying plus if that was 8mm film, probably no equipment left to run it on or if you are really lucky, the film will just disintegrate. Had a very large case once where we had miles of computer tapes that contained data that was of interest to the plaintiffs. Problem was, the mainframe computers that read the tapes had long since been destroyed. The plaintiffs looked all over the world for something that would allow them to recover the data. Never did find anything that would work.

I wasn't even born yet in 1968, but I bet the freedoms people enjoyed flying back then were amazing. When my grandfather tells me stories about the 'old days' in aviation, I wish I to had been born 50 years earlier. He was born in December 1922, turns 97 in a few weeks, he learned to fly at age 14, eventually got a real license after flying for years, retired at age 60 after a long career as Captain of a 727-200. He actually got a Pilot's license when he joined the RCAF ( Royal Canadian Air Force ) during WW II where he flew Hurricanes until he was shot down, and after that he was sent to England and became an Instructor. If it sounds like I am very proud of him, it is because I am. He and grandma raised me, and they will forever be my heroes!

In the Army we referred to them as “****house Lawyers” or more politely “Latrine Attorneys”. I think there are a few that hangout on various aviation forums, handing out free legal opinions and citing Wikipedia and other legal sources for support. But I think you are likely to be in good shape - most of the witnesses (assuming there were some) 50 years ago are probably dead or incapable of testifying plus if that was 8mm film, probably no equipment left to run it on or if you are really lucky, the film will just disintegrate. Had a very large case once where we had miles of computer tapes that contained data that was of interest to the plaintiffs. Problem was, the mainframe computers that read the tapes had long since been destroyed. The plaintiffs looked all over the world for something that would allow them to recover the data. Never did find anything that would work.
Well, the specifications still exist, so it would "just" be a matter of reproducing the tape reader, and translating the data to something usable.

Some people don't use a school plane to get their license in, they buy their own.
There is a slight chance those planes go do some extra flying once the pilot gets that first solo under their belt. They might even take their SO at the time, climb up to 8500' and join the mile high club.

I'm just guessing that some people could have done stuff like that.
Would someone with judgment that bad still be flying?

One of the many reasons no camera of any stripe has ever been permitted in an aircraft flown by yours truly. Less evidence made means less to burn.

Back