Flying the Chicago Skyline and a bit of wind shear on landing

I know...another video. Those not interested, sorry.

For those that have a little time to kill, new video. We were able to get the Chicago Skyline in during some nice VFR weather.
As a super-rusty private pilot just getting back into flying around the Chicago area, I like the extended videos. Learned a bit about landing at Schaumburg, which I should be doing in the next few days.

Another great video. Thanks.

I heard that. My comment was that not all RVs are experimental. One, the RV12 SLSA is certified as a light-sport, although there is also an experimental version.

I fly an RV9A and have found that controllers seem to appreciate my identifying as "RV" vs experimental. As mentioned above, how the plane is manufactured is not as important as how it is shaped (for tower controllers) and how it performs, and that was probably the point of the original comment. I agree that rare experimentals won't necessarily be recognized by name, but RVs don't fit that category.

I fly an RV9A and have found that controllers seem to appreciate my identifying as "RV" vs experimental. As mentioned above, how the plane is manufactured is not as important as how it is shaped (for tower controllers) and how it performs, and that was probably the point of the original comment. I agree that rare experimentals won't necessarily be recognized by name, but RVs don't fit that category.
I flew at a busy Class D with plenty of RVs around, so I don't disagree at all, especially when the controller is familiar with the make. But I'm not sure "RV" gives any more data on performance than "Cessna," which I've heard get a good number of "Say type Cessna" replies. A 6A cruises about 45-50 kts faster than a 12LSA. That's a pretty decent spread.

OK, I was a controller, and a pilot now for over 40 years. What is "with the flash" referring to? Never heard that.

OK, I was a controller, and a pilot now for over 40 years. What is "with the flash" referring to? Never heard that.

Something that produces concentric circles (blossom) on a radar display that’s associated with a secondary target.

Kevin this video only proves to me that controllers can be some impatient pilots. In the first two minutes your girlfriend didn't read back the aircraft call sign when told to taxi to a runway and it became the controller's fault because you both were talking about "well duh, how else am I going to get there" and about who was talking, the trainer or the trainee. Just pointing that out. Then later on, "is he gonna give us a squawk or not?" :lol:

And finally, as a pilot, it gets awkward talking to controllers you know doesn't it? Big gulps huh? Okay, well....see ya later.

My best controller story is when the Chief Controller wanted me to take him and his son up for a ride at Columbus MS. So we go up and he wanted to fly out to the base, so we did a low approach and turn downwind to depart. Guys in the tower knew it was me and abeam the tower they said to look down at the catwalk. I did and there's one of the guys mooning me. Soooo, I transmitted yea Pete liked that, and it took a few seconds of silence until they realized it was the boss on board. He just laughed about it but I think he made them sweat a little bit too.

I used it for many years but kind of dropped the habit. At my last duty station, they seemed to want an ident on almost every departure so it would’ve gotten old.

I used it for many years but kind of dropped the habit. At my last duty station, they seemed to want an ident on almost every departure so it would’ve gotten old.

Understandable as they have to radar identify ya, unless you have an assigned transponder code and they see that come off the runway, in which case they shouldn't have to ask you to ident. Used to be that way, maybe it's changed.

Must have bad radar coverage at that base. Never used ident on a departure at our base (NBC). Verify the mode C on the deck with the field elevation, give the release to tower, radar within 1 mile off the end of the runway, done.

Only really cool pilots get to say, "Here's the Flash". Typically that they are ones who see traffic on the "Fish Finder" as well. :)

Nice to see a Dawg up North representing. Nice video.

Kevin this video only proves to me that controllers can be some impatient pilots. In the first two minutes your girlfriend didn't read back taxi instructions to the runway with the aircraft call sign. Then it sounded like the female trainer told you to taxi to the runway via alpha in hopes that you'd get it right. Then it became the controller's fault because you both were talking about "well duh, how else am I going to get there" and about who was talking, the trainer or the trainee. Just pointing that out. Then later on, "is he gonna give us a squawk or not?" :lol:

And finally, as a pilot, it gets awkward talking to controllers you know doesn't it? Big gulps huh? Okay, well....see ya later.
Tim, she’s not a pilot. Maybe if she ever wanted to be, she could be an impatient one. If I came across that way, I apologize but I feel as though I’m pretty laid back when I’m on the mic.

You are correct, she missed the call sign with runway read back. I could edit out our mistakes but I’ll put them on and own them. She has no training from the pilot side and this is her third flight or so talking on the radio. I cut her some slack and we discuss things later. She sounds better than most third time in the air talkers I think. I worked at ORD for about 5 years and the pilots were taxied off the gate and switched to tower without being allowed to talk during the rushes. You won’t find that in the .65. Sometimes it’s hard for controllers that work in high volume places to slow back down to the rest of the world. Bottom line though, you are 100% correct. She missed the call sign on the read back.

If we’ve came off that we don’t like our local tower controllers, I apologize. I love the ARR controllers. They are honestly great.

Reference the squawk comment, I set her up with my editing on that. We originally switched to the sector ARR lies in. After we laid out the plans, we were switched to the next sector to do it all again. This was a trainee that is very bad. So you missing the first half combined with what you don’t know that we do that caused that comment. I should have left it out. This is good feed back and I appreciate it.

Reference your last paragraph, I’m not sure what you mean. I like talking to controllers I know. Or controllers I don’t know. We are just trying to have fun and share it for those that enjoy.

Last edited:
Just keep doing what you do. It gets lonely out there on the "Isle of Perfection" anyways. Most of the rest of us don't do it perfect every time either, so.......whatever.

I know...another video. Those not interested, sorry.

No need to apologize to people who can’t master scrolling. LOL. You’re not really sorry anyway. :)

Nice vid.

I chuckled at the ground thing too.Radar controllers not knowing what the ground controller needed said. Heh.

As a controller, I appreciate when ya'll say your type first instead of just experimental. It can help if I am familiar with the type to know expected performance.
OK, in my case - I fly a Merlin GT. I have met, like, three people who have ever heard of those (one being the guy I bought it from). I've never seen another besides the one that I own.
On the other hand, I have been charged the "Turbine service fee" because the only Merlin in the FBO's data base is the twin turboprop Merlin that has a stall speed (92 knots) higher the cruise speed (75-80 knots) of my rag and tube LSA. So, I suspect (and you can correct me if I am wrong) that "Slow Mover" is probably the way to go.

Enjoyed the video, although I have to admit, "with the flash" made me wince :)
Glad you enjoyed it! I don't think I ever use "the flash" but it's pretty common to hear others use it. Never really bothered (think I've explained before the only thing that bothers me is a long winded life story...I'm easy) me but I respect your opinion. :)

I did explain to her that all RV's are experimental but not all experimental's are RV's.

One thing your videos have done for me since you and your fiancé are controllers is not be so hung up on terms like 'with you' and 'with the flash' or '3.5' instead of 3 thousand five hundred, etc, that you guys really don't care as long as it's clear and communications are succinct. That you really don't think anything about it when pilots use these phrases. It's more something we're hung up on as pilots and our different definitions of what is 'professional' or not. Everybody just needs to chill. :)

As I explained in another thread, I'm not religious about common/well-understood Pilot/Controller slang. But that doesn't stop me from wincing when I hear some of them. FWIW, in more than 25 years of flying, I never heard "here's the flash" before Steveo.

I heard that. My comment was that not all RVs are experimental. One, the RV12 SLSA is certified as a light-sport, although there is also an experimental version.

First time I heard 'with the flash' was in 2002 with my instrument instructor. So it's been around a long time and heard it frequently since then.

True, the RV12 SLSA is certified, but there aren't that many out there compared to all the other experimental Vans. 99.9999% of all Vans are experimental.

Tim, she’s not a pilot. Maybe if she ever wanted to be, she could be an impatient one. If I came across that way, I apologize but I feel as though I’m pretty laid back when I’m on the mic.

You are correct, she missed the call sign with runway read back. I could edit out our mistakes but I’ll put them on and own them. She has no training from the pilot side and this is her third flight or so talking on the radio. I cut her some slack and we discuss things later. She sounds better than most third time in the air talkers I think. I worked at ORD for about 5 years and the pilots were taxied off the gate and switched to tower without being allowed to talk during the rushes. You won’t find that in the .65. Sometimes it’s hard for controllers that work in high volume places to slow back down to the rest of the world. Bottom line though, you are 100% correct. She missed the call sign on the read back.

If we’ve came off that we don’t like our local tower controllers, I apologize. I love the ARR controllers. They are honestly great.

Reference the squawk comment, I set her up with my editing on that. We originally switched to the sector ARR lies in. After we laid out the plans, we were switched to the next sector to do it all again. This was a trainee that is very bad. So you missing the first half combined with what you don’t know that we do that caused that comment. I should have left it out. This is good feed back and I appreciate it.

Reference your last paragraph, I’m not sure what you mean. I like talking to controllers I know. Or controllers I don’t know. We are just trying to have fun and share it for those that enjoy.

Wow buddy, you took that completely wrong from the way I meant it. I was putting myself in the same category as you especially when it comes to talking to controllers that you know. You get past the "hey I know you, you know me" stage and knowing you're on the air where everyone else can hear you, he's busy and wants to get back to work, you want to fly off in the distance...its just that awkward thing. That's what I meant. I wasn't bashing you or your girlfriend at all. I just wanted to point out the answer to the confusion you guys experienced in the first two minutes of the video.

Remember, I'm a pilot and a controller too. Nothing I said was intended to bash or offend you guys.

Back