Flying the Chicago Skyline and a bit of wind shear on landing

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
I know...another video. Those not interested, sorry.

For those that have a little time to kill, new video. We were able to get the Chicago Skyline in during some nice VFR weather. It was a bit bumpy with a few jolts of moderate turbulence. While landing at 06C for the $100+ hamburger I got a bit of wind shear on short final...it got my attention. You can see my ASI needle fluctuate pretty good. The stabilization on my cameras is almost too good. It really makes the bumps not look as bad as they are while flying.

As always, any critiques ya'll have are welcome. Not that anyone of us here needs the invite. :)

And oh yeah, almost hit a bird on the initial departure. You can see it go by pretty fast. I'll have to have @OkieFlyer teach me how to slow motion and circle the birds.

Wait...I didn't see gf like in your last video, I miss it? :goofy: :nono:

I like the video though, nice clear day. Bumpy though eh? Sweet landing thar at Stromberg (?).

Last edited:
Wait...I didn't see gf like in your last video, I miss it? :goofy: :nono:

I like the video though, nice clear day. Bumpy though eh? Sweet landing thar at Stromberg (?).
Thanks Mark. As a southern boy that was used to seeing daisy dukes and bikini tops, I'm having to adjust to hoodie weather almost year round up here! :)

Nice video... Sweet landing after the building fly-by. The camera made it look like a building landing...:yikes: Glad someone is flying. Dealing with winds and crappy weather most of the winter here. :mad2:

Yeah, that landing freaked me out, I was looking for the runway and all I saw was buildings.

Mother-in-law been up before? She didn’t seem to say a word about the bumps.

Awesome video. Did I see u slapping the HSI on your way back? Time for a G5 i am guessing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome video. Did I see u slapping the HSI on your way back? Time for a G5 i am guessing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Yeah, my GS is starting to stick on the stupid HSI. I spent 1K fixing that thing when I bought the plane as the G5 HSI wasn't available at the time. You are correct, I think this year will need to spring for the G5 HSI...I think Garmin should sponsor my plane. :) It goes in for the first annual at my shop later this month. I will see how bad that hurts and then make plans for the second G5.

Yeah, that landing freaked me out, I was looking for the runway and all I saw was buildings.

Mother-in-law been up before? She didn’t seem to say a word about the bumps.
Up until the buildings, I was right on the glide path provided by the VASI. You can see the needle on my ASI bounce around with the wind shear. I lost, gained and lost about 20 mph total in a short period of time and got a bit of sink there. I had to add some power back in... it was a bit sporty for sure!

I took her up once before in a Saratoga I used to rent about 2 years ago. On that return flight we had just went solid IMC at the IAF and the controller gave me a bit too steep of an intercept that I should have declined. The STEC 55X started to make the turn to join the final approach course but couldn't keep up with the turn/tail wind and rolled out confused. I had to quickly disconnect and correct. Heart rate a little elevated with the whole family on board and then broke out and landed. She said the same thing on roll out..."nice landing". She for sure ain't scared of GA flying! As almost all my flying has been without autopilots, I learned my personal lesson of hand flying all approaches. At least until I have a bullet proof autopilot. Maybe one day.

Nice video... Sweet landing after the building fly-by. The camera made it look like a building landing...:yikes: Glad someone is flying. Dealing with winds and crappy weather most of the winter here. :mad2:
Thanks Mac! The building/wind shear made for an interesting approach for sure. Sorry about your weather issues this winter. My heater problem has had me flying less than I want this winter as well. I will be happy to get that resolved soon. Hoping to get a local night flight in today to take care of my night currency. Never landed MDW before, may go check that out?

Thanks Mac! The building/wind shear made for an interesting approach for sure. Sorry about your weather issues this winter. My heater problem has had me flying less than I want this winter as well. I will be happy to get that resolved soon. Hoping to get a local night flight in today to take care of my night currency. Never landed MDW before, may go check that out?

Nothing to MDW! Landed there many times in a jet. SWA takes their 737s there so plenty of runway. OK no SW jokes today, sorry.

When things are bumpy like that, it's best to be flying in something like an LSA with a real light wing loading. That way instead of chop, you get a first class roller coaster ride.

When things are bumpy like that, it's best to be flying in something like an LSA with a real light wing loading. That way instead of chop, you get a first class roller coaster ride.
I hear you! It is nice about the 310 that it does handle the bumps and smooths the ride better than most planes I've flown. That big tail makes for easier crosswind landings as well.

Lol hey don’t listen to me! They’re your videos, make em the way you want!!
I'm still learning the way I want being new and all. I'm learning there are two different thoughts: those that like the longer fuller ones and those that like the short and sweet. I'm going to try to do a bit of both and see how it goes. I'm having fun with being able to review my flights and share them with people who find them interesting. For the most part, they seem to be received okay.

I'm still learning the way I want being new and all. I'm learning there are two different thoughts: those that like the longer fuller ones and those that like the short and sweet. I'm going to try to do a bit of both and see how it goes. I'm having fun with being able to review my flights and share them with people who find them interesting. For the most part, they seem to be received okay.
Posting a full video with an index to the interesting bits like you did with the Arch tour is a good compromise, I think.

here's my take, for whatever that's worth (nothing). short videos (coupl'a minutes) that have a point ("here's me doing a steep turn", "here's me calling up and requesting flight following" etc...) are quick and easy to watch and people might learn something. loooong videos of straight and level get boring after about a minute (actually like 10 seconds but I rounded up). but long videos that have actual points to them are awesome. your videos are what I consider long but they contain a string of different focal points..."here's us getting our IFR clearance", then "here's us flying by the arch" then "here's us making fun of the new ATC guy who doesn't know what he's doing", etc... lots of different and interesting points being made. also they are edited well. I guess some people have the time to sit and watch a 45 minute video, I typically don't. that is, unless they contain gratuitous co-pilot breast shots, like yours. then I have time. anyways, who cares what eman thinks. keep up the good work!

Good video! It must be bumpy all over. I took my wife up to Tulsa the other day and the ride was pretty bumpy as well. Oh well, part of it. Keep up the good work.

here's my take, for whatever that's worth (nothing). short videos (coupl'a minutes) that have a point ("here's me doing a steep turn", "here's me calling up and requesting flight following" etc...) are quick and easy to watch and people might learn something. loooong videos of straight and level get boring after about a minute (actually like 10 seconds but I rounded up). but long videos that have actual points to them are awesome. your videos are what I consider long but they contain a string of different focal points..."here's us getting our IFR clearance", then "here's us flying by the arch" then "here's us making fun of the new ATC guy who doesn't know what he's doing", etc... lots of different and interesting points being made. also they are edited well. I guess some people have the time to sit and watch a 45 minute video, I typically don't. that is, unless they contain gratuitous co-pilot breast shots, like yours. then I have time. anyways, who cares what eman thinks. keep up the good work!
Thanks for your opinion! Thoughts here matter more to me than the completely random people on the internet...after Kentucky Dam you won't even be slightly random. I can't promise to keep up the good work but I will keep up the work.

Good video! It must be bumpy all over. I took my wife up to Tulsa the other day and the ride was pretty bumpy as well. Oh well, part of it. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. Hopefully your wife doesn't mind the bumps. Mine lady is down with some light chop. The occasional jolts of moderate will get her attention! We were able to go up last night and it was nice and smooth. Was able to re-set my night currency and fly into MDW for the first time. :)

Mostly a lurker here, but FWIW nice videos! With you and your lady friend both being controllers you probably have some stories and lessons you could teach the average GA pilot. I think those types of relatively unique perspectives make the videos entertaining and educational. I've made a couple flights to Chicago-land from the Nashville area and will probably do more with my wife's family living north of Chicago. Seeing how relatively trouble-free the shoreline route is also good info.

(BTW, nothing implied with "lady friend." I didn't know if she's a wife, girlfriend, or friend, and I always think of The Big Lebowski when I use that phrase.)

Thanks. Hopefully your wife doesn't mind the bumps. Mine lady is down with some light chop. The occasional jolts of moderate will get her attention! We were able to go up last night and it was nice and smooth. Was able to re-set my night currency and fly into MDW for the first time. :)

Well, she's still a new GA flyer so lets just say that she is starting to get used to it. I think she's crazy but she says that she trusts me, soooo.........lol!

Enjoyed the video, although I have to admit, "with the flash" made me wince :)

Dunno if it was mentioned somewhere but you guys must be controllers who handle mostly big iron. Not knowing "experimental" is standard phraseology for experimental certified aircraft (see the note to ATC Handbook 9-2-4) leads to that WAG.

No, not all RVs are experimental.

From the A.I.M.
"Civil aircraft pilots should state the aircraft type,model or manufacturer’s name, followed by the digits/letters of the registration number. When the aircraft manufacturer’s name or model is stated, the prefix “N” is dropped; e.g., Aztec Two Four Six Four Alpha.
EXAMPLE

Bonanza Six Five Five Golf.
Breezy Six One Three Romeo Experimental (omit “Experimental” after initial contact)"

Somewhere (regs? Op-lims?) it says that you have to identify yourself as experimental on the initial contact.

I usually add "slow mover" just to be clear that I ain't driving no hot rod.

Ha! Believe me once you're radar identified they'll know how fast (slow) you are. I was TDY to the Navy base at Key West once and we had a fast mover zip across the radar scope. About 3 sweeps and it was gone. Found out later it was an SR-71.

Mostly a lurker here, but FWIW nice videos! With you and your lady friend both being controllers you probably have some stories and lessons you could teach the average GA pilot. I think those types of relatively unique perspectives make the videos entertaining and educational. I've made a couple flights to Chicago-land from the Nashville area and will probably do more with my wife's family living north of Chicago. Seeing how relatively trouble-free the shoreline route is also good info.

(BTW, nothing implied with "lady friend." I didn't know if she's a wife, girlfriend, or friend, and I always think of The Big Lebowski when I use that phrase.)
Glad you liked it and I was able to show the ease of transitions the shoreline below the bravo! If you're coming low from the south and plan on transitioning, you can call 128.2 for flight following. We are happy to keep another set of eyes on you. She's my fiance and I liked the Big Lebowski reference. :)

Funny movie.

587698547.png

Enjoyed the video, although I have to admit, "with the flash" made me wince :)

Dunno if it was mentioned somewhere but you guys must be controllers who handle mostly big iron. Not knowing "experimental" is standard phraseology for experimental certified aircraft (see the note to ATC Handbook 9-2-4) leads to that WAG.

No, not all RVs are experimental.
Glad you enjoyed it! I don't think I ever use "the flash" but it's pretty common to hear others use it. Never really bothered (think I've explained before the only thing that bothers me is a long winded life story...I'm easy) me but I respect your opinion. :)

We work Chicago TRACON so yes, the majority of our traffic is big iron. We do also work all the satellite airports so we get a bit of GA traffic as well. She has worked TPA tower/tracon so there was a lot more GA down there but non-pilot controllers are for sure limited on their GA/EXP exposure. I've worked the OSH airshow for several years and have been a pilot for almost 20 years and I'm still learning. :)

I did explain to her that all RV's are experimental but not all experimental's are RV's.

From the A.I.M.
"Civil aircraft pilots should state the aircraft type,model or manufacturer’s name, followed by the digits/letters of the registration number. When the aircraft manufacturer’s name or model is stated, the prefix “N” is dropped; e.g., Aztec Two Four Six Four Alpha.
EXAMPLE

Bonanza Six Five Five Golf.
Breezy Six One Three Romeo Experimental (omit “Experimental” after initial contact)"

Somewhere (regs? Op-lims?) it says that you have to identify yourself as experimental on the initial contact.

As a controller, I appreciate when ya'll say your type first instead of just experimental. It can help if I am familiar with the type to know expected performance.

Another excellent video, thanks for posting. You need to add some Rosen visors!
That was what she gave me money to buy. I for sure owe them to her. Probably order them this month when I see how the annual is going.

As a controller, I appreciate when ya'll say your type first instead of just experimental. It can help if I am familiar with the type to know expected performance.

Enjoy your videos, I fly a bonanza out of GYY, every sunday morning weather permitting a group of local chicago pilots fly to breakfast, we meet in the air at 8 am on 122.75, come join us sometime.

Enjoy your videos, I fly a bonanza out of GYY, every sunday morning weather permitting a group of local chicago pilots fly to breakfast, we meet in the air at 8 am on 122.75, come join us sometime.
That sounds awesome. I've been looking for something like this in the area. Can you give me more details? PM or here?

That does sound like fun. I would like the info as well if its possible.

That sounds awesome. I've been looking for something like this in the area. Can you give me more details? PM or here?

Its called the sunday morning breakfast club. Basically every sunday we are in the air by 8 am, just dial up 122.75 and say "hey SMBC Where ya going" and someone will tell you what the destination is. Sometimes they list the destination on their website. https://sites.google.com/site/smbcflyers/Home

Glad you enjoyed it! I don't think I ever use "the flash" but it's pretty common to hear others use it. Never really bothered (think I've explained before the only thing that bothers me is a long winded life story...I'm easy) me but I respect your opinion. :)

As I explained in another thread, I'm not religious about common/well-understood Pilot/Controller slang. But that doesn't stop me from wincing when I hear some of them. FWIW, in more than 25 years of flying, I never heard "here's the flash" before Steveo.

I did explain to her that all RV's are experimental but not all experimental's are RV's.
I heard that. My comment was that not all RVs are experimental. One, the RV12 SLSA is certified as a light-sport, although there is also an experimental version.

I can see why it would help. But would you recognize experimental types except for the most common ones?

Kevin this video only proves to me that controllers can be some impatient pilots. In the first two minutes your girlfriend didn't read back taxi instructions to the runway with the aircraft call sign. Then it sounded like the female trainer told you to taxi to the runway via alpha in hopes that you'd get it right. Then it became the controller's fault because you both were talking about "well duh, how else am I going to get there" and about who was talking, the trainer or the trainee. Just pointing that out. Then later on, "is he gonna give us a squawk or not?" :lol:

And finally, as a pilot, it gets awkward talking to controllers you know doesn't it? Big gulps huh? Okay, well....see ya later.

Last edited:
Back