Flying for another rating.

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
I know my opinion doesn't mean much. Almost done with the IR. Looked into the Commercial rating. If I knew on 09/20/12 what I know now I would've done that XC differently. Flew down to Tri Cities, NC. (Halfway point to refuel and for my husband and me to switch PIC) It's 309nm from my home base. One of the requirements for the Commercial is 300nm XC but with 3 landings. I only did 1 that day! D'oh. So to you guys working on PP/IR plan your XC's with possible future certificates in mind. Yeah sure I *could* go fly down to North Carolina again or somewhere else but if I did it back then I would save myself alot of money. Grrrr.

The long Commercial X country has to be done SOLO or with a CFI with the pilot acting and performing duties of the PIC. Since you were with your husband (Assuming your husband is not a CFI) you can't log it as the long comm x country

Yep, same with all those night requirements too.

My CFI was next to me as well. We were flying over the mountains and my husband doesn't like mountains (Okay high hills - I know the Smokey Mountains aren't anything compared to the Rockies)

Just thought my lack of planning could helps someone else....

I did a Pilots and Paws flight once (dogs aren't passengers I guess, based on the FAA definition of Souls on board)..

Same type of thing, I realized during my flight that a 3rd stop would be usefull. So after dropping the pup off and getting fuel, I did a T&G at a very close airport before going home.

I did a Pilots and Paws flight once (dogs aren't passengers I guess, based on the FAA definition of Souls on board)..
That is correct, but it's a good idea to note the presence and number of dogs on board in the Remarks block.

Well, I guess.. But I would prefer to have them try to figure it out, I think :)
Even if they were thrown clear from the wreckage and in a carrier no one is looking for? Or a tethered dog who broke free but is wandering around injured? That's only two of a number of scenarios I can think of that would make it a good idea to spend the extra 6 seconds to note it on a flight plan.

I actually never thought of it before, but it is an excellent idea.

Even if they were thrown clear from the wreckage and in a carrier no one is looking for? Or a tethered dog who broke free but is wandering around injured? That's only two of a number of scenarios I can think of that would make it a good idea to spend the extra 6 seconds to note it on a flight plan.

I actually never thought of it before, but it is an excellent idea.

Or just knowing how many bags of meat and approximately what they should weigh delivered to the crematorium.

Or just knowing how many bags of meat and approximately what they should weigh delivered to the crematorium.
I'm really not too concerned if they are dead. But if they are alive, I'd like them looked for, even if just to euthanize them.

Maybe there's a difference between those who do these missions and those who don't?

Before I got the ATP rating ,I kept a journal of the requirements for the other ratings as well. That way you didn't have too many wasted flights.

I'm really not too concerned if they are dead. But if they are alive, I'd like them looked for, even if just to euthanize them.

Maybe there's a difference between those who do these missions and those who don't?

I had never thought about that aspect of it Mark. I guess it is worth doing, although normally there is a person at both ends that knows exactly what is supposed to be onboard.. They may not know who to tell.

Last year I made a long XC trip to San Antonio. I was solo. On the first day I flew three daytime legs under IFR, ASH-JST, JST-DVK, DVK-MEM. Would this satisfy the requirement?

The long Commercial X country has to be done SOLO or with a CFI with the pilot acting and performing duties of the PIC. Since you were with your husband (Assuming your husband is not a CFI) you can't log it as the long comm x country

I know it used to be solo, but didn't they drop that? I was going for my commercial at one time when the requirement was solo, but never finished. Years later when I came back to it, seems I didn't see the solo requirement in there anywhere.

That is correct, but it's a good idea to note the presence and number of dogs on board in the Remarks block.

I made an off hand remark to a briefer one time about 5 souls and 2 dogs on board. I didn't think much of it until I got my clearance, he asked if they were GA Bulldogs? It took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about, I haven't listed my dogs since.

I know it used to be solo, but didn't they drop that? I was going for my commercial at one time when the requirement was solo, but never finished. Years later when I came back to it, seems I didn't see the solo requirement in there anywhere.
Yep the solo or with CFI performing duties as PIC requirement is still there. The 300 nm (which is really 600 miles) seems a little excessive. Mine took about 8 hours. and I'd say about 7 of those hours were straight and level, which doesn't really require much skill. If they make the x countries shorter, you are way more busy. Some of my busiest x countries were from KFRG to KBDR about 30 miles

(which is really 600 miles)

Where do you get that? The reg says that one landing has to be at least 250 NM from the original departure point. So if you do an out and back, with three landings, it wouldn't have to be much more than 500 miles. And there is nothing in the regs that says it has to be done on the same day.

I know my opinion doesn't mean much. Almost done with the IR. Looked into the Commercial rating. If I knew on 09/20/12 what I know now I would've done that XC differently. Flew down to Tri Cities, NC. (Halfway point to refuel and for my husband and me to switch PIC) It's 309nm from my home base. One of the requirements for the Commercial is 300nm XC but with 3 landings. I only did 1 that day! D'oh. So to you guys working on PP/IR plan your XC's with possible future certificates in mind. Yeah sure I *could* go fly down to North Carolina again or somewhere else but if I did it back then I would save myself alot of money. Grrrr.

Do it on an IR cross country. What is your pupose in chasing after ratings?

I'm guessing neither of you are dog owners? Pretty heartless, in my opinion anyway.

Adding a remark about the number of dogs aboard in your log is not going to matter for post-crash/no-survivor aspects, unless you a) fill out a log prior to the flight and b) have your log with you. Or, are we talking about a different kind of log book?

Adding a remark about the number of dogs aboard in your log is not going to matter for post-crash/no-survivor aspects, unless you a) fill out a log prior to the flight and b) have your log with you. Or, are we talking about a different kind of log book?

I think Ron was referring to the remarks section of a fight plan.

I had never thought about that aspect of it Mark. I guess it is worth doing, although normally there is a person at both ends that knows exactly what is supposed to be onboard.. They may not know who to tell.
My experience so far is that they are not particularly aviation savvy. These are not coordinated in the way, for example, Angel Flight is. They are really coordinated by the pilots involved.

Back