Fly For Lunch Locations - Nationwide

deftone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
deftone
Hey folks,

I am working on a database to be published online of places to fly. For right now I am concentrating on restaurants and eateries, the famous $100 Hamburger. This project has come about after struggling to find new places to fly on the weekends.

So what do I need from y'all? Well if you could fill out the short form I have linked with any ideas that would be greatly appreciated. The form only asks for airfield identifier and name of restaurant. Thats all the information I am asking for. I will do the rest of the leg work (finding opening hours, contact info, menu etc). There is also a space for name and email, but that is purely optional so I can send a thank you note. This will not be used for any other purpose.

Link to the form - https://form.jotform.com/flyforlunch/fly-for-lunch-locations

Feel free to share the link with any friends that may have useful information or online on forums etc. This will be a free online resource that I feel can be useful to any GA pilot. The more people get involved, the more useful the resource.

*note, the website is www.flyforlunch.com It is currently in development so nothing to see for now, I will post on here when the site goes live.

Any questions then let me know!

Thanks

Steve

The problem is ,are you going to be able to keep the info ,up to date,nothing more frustrating ,than using a web search,and when you get there the restaurant has closed.

You fly to the Pik-n-Pig, at BQ1, in Carthage NC. Then, while you sit on the patio and enjoy some barbecue and an occasional breeze that briefly cools the hot summer day, you relax and chat with friends and watch airplanes come and go on a runway a few hundred feet away and taxiing by so closely you can almost reach out and touch them. You can't help but think its a shame there are not more places like this around? You shake your head and take another bite of barbecued chicken...

You fly to the Pik-n-Pig, at BQ1, in Carthage NC. Then, while you sit on the patio and enjoy some barbecue and an occasional breeze that briefly cools the hot summer day, you relax and chat with friends and watch airplanes come and go on a runway a few hundred feet away and taxiing by so closely you can almost reach out and touch them. You can't help but think its a shame there are not more places like this around? You shake your head and take another bite of barbecued chicken...

It should be a requirement in order for an airport to be charted.

I just went there. You actually have to subscribe to see them. $.99 a month.
It was free at one time, but then they decided to charge. Gotta be more than 10 years ago (about how long I haven't used them ;)). If I recall correctly, the $0.99 a month is discounted from their original subscription fee.

It was free at one time, but then they decided to charge. Gotta be more than 10 years ago (about how long I haven't used them ;)). If I recall correctly, the $0.99 a month is discounted from their original subscription fee.

Its a great business model. I have never used the site but I signed up.
Every month I get the debit for 99 cents and think "I should cancel that."
Been saying that for 3 years.

I bet they’re laughing all the way to the bank. In 3 years they’ve made a whopping $35.64 off of you. :D

do they have anything that you can't find on all the other free sites or google?

Meh... I couldn't remember my credentials.
I went to paypal and cancelled the subscription.

They will probably go out of business now.

Not to be confused with fly2lunch.com which is completely different in that you can find places to fly to lunch.....oh wait.....

Hmmm, I used to go on here but every time I tried it recently it was down, I just assumed it had gone offline and was going to make a replacement, I even tried to contact the admins. I guess there might not be a requirement for this site after all!

do they have anything that you can't find on all the other free sites or google?
When they started out, definitely. I can't recall the exact year, but the 1st edition of their book (yes, paper) - a compilation - was published in 1998. If they have kept themselves up-to-date, chances are you can find things there a bit more easily that other sites or a straight Google search.

The adventure pilot site listed in an earlier post has a restaurant near me that has been closed for 6 years. I think that is the frustrating part. Wiki may be the best...

Ate there yesterday. The spicy smoked chicken sandwich was a good departure from the BBQ.

Back