Flow valve for O2 cannula

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Ok, so I'm hoping I'm missing something obvious, but I can't find anybody selling what seems like everyone would want, so maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

In my short body Mooney, I kept my O2 tank behind my seat. It was easy to reach to adjust the flow to the cannulas. No problem.

But now that I have a larger aircraft and intend to keep the tank outside of arms reach, I'm not seeing any mechanism to turn on / off / regulate the flow AT the cannula end of things. The flow meter is there, but no valve of any sort.

I'm looking everywhere and not seeing a solution. The best thing I've found is not aviation specific, but it is rated for O2, so it should work ok. It certainly is aviation priced. :eek:

https://www.mcmaster.com/3010N11/

What am I missing?

Sherwood is another company that makes Oxygen valves. You might try searching using that name.

Buy an O2D2. Turn it on when you want to. It doesn’t flow when it’s off.

I keep my bottle in back and have an extension tube from the bottle to the regulator that allows me to have the regulator up front with me between the front seats. As the regulator has as "0" setting, I go ahead and open the valve on the bottle before I take the left seat. When I need the 02 easy enough to turn it on with the regulator.

I use a SkyOx regulator BTW. Like most, it will only flow O2 when the regulator is opened, and only through a port if a cannula line attached to it.

You mean like this...

upload_2022-3-9_15-36-17.png

And Yes you can turn the flow off with them. At least that is what I did with mine. Before buying the Mountain High EDS.

Brian

Hmm. I've been avoiding battery operated crap, but that O2D2 looks kinda nice.
They do have excellent battery life and are very nice. if you change the batteries when you change your oil or for a lot of people at Annual you will never have a problem, of course do carry a spare set.

Brian

Last edited:
Hmm. I've been avoiding battery operated crap, but that O2D2 looks kinda nice.

I’ve been using one for two years on the same batteries. I changed them just because recently.

I’m trying to figure out if I need a reducing regulator to use the o2d2 with my Aerox regulator. Anybody have a clue?

Our regulators spec operating pressure is just above the max requirement for the O2D2 so it’s likely you will though we haven’t done any testing with it.
Scott

What am I missing?
Way too little information for us to know. We don't know your flowmeter; you say it's there but no valve. Typically a flowmeter will go to zero. What's between the flowmeter and the cylinder?

O2 in the tank will be 2000 psi or more. You do not want a broken supply line spewing 2000 psi O2. So, you will want a regulator at the tank to reduce the supply pressure to something reasonable for line pressure, maybe 50 psi or so. Then, you can use your flowmeter to shut off the oxygen when not in use. Additionally, you may want an oxygen key (depending on your cylinder type) to shut off supply at the cylinder.

Way too little information for us to know. We don't know your flowmeter; you say it's there but no valve. Typically a flowmeter will go to zero. What's between the flowmeter and the cylinder?

O2 in the tank will be 2000 psi or more. You do not want a broken supply line spewing 2000 psi O2. So, you will want a regulator at the tank to reduce the supply pressure to something reasonable for line pressure, maybe 50 psi or so. Then, you can use your flowmeter to shut off the oxygen when not in use. Additionally, you may want an oxygen key (depending on your cylinder type) to shut off supply at the cylinder.
I have a fully functional Aeros System already, it’s just that the flow control is at the regulator on the cylinder, which I won’t be able to reach in the new plane.

Back