Flight to Merida

Dave,

This is a great story - thanks for sharing with the group. I once took a trip to Playa in my Grumman Traveler - we had to hug the coast, made for a long adventerous flight. It just wasn't enough plane to do a straight shot. Anyway, congrats on helping your family, you should be proud.

-Walter

lancefisher said:
Go ahead and put me on. I'd like to go and there's nothing else on my schedule that week.

Lance:

Send me an e-mail address where we can copy you. The group is conversing about the agenda, how to make it better etc. and I'd like you to be on there.

I'm at dsiciliano2ATsbcglobal.net

Dave

walterman said:
Dave,

This is a great story - thanks for sharing with the group. I once took a trip to Playa in my Grumman Traveler - we had to hug the coast, made for a long adventerous flight. It just wasn't enough plane to do a straight shot. Anyway, congrats on helping your family, you should be proud.

-Walter

Thanks for the comments Walter. Yes, I looked at going down the coast v. over the Gulf. Discussed it on here when I took a trip to Cozumel earlier this year--See Summer Trip. That previous trip helped in many ways. Had charts, had been to Cozumel (avoiding two hurricanes enroute) and knew my way around Customs and Mexican airspace a little. You probably did the safer thing!!

Dave

Last edited:
I don't think I ever told y'all that I wrote up an article on this trip and the American Bonanza Society magazine plans to publish it in their February issue. They condensed it a lot; took out a couple rants--like Customs saying they weren't notified when FSS produced teletype notification confirms. Once the article is released, I'll try to make it available to those of you that have any interest.

Seen my nieces since the trip, and all is well. Lindsay, who I picked up there, did pass her classes but got one C in math which she attributes to missing two weeks of class. She really didn't want to talk about it a lot (but we did anyway); trying to just put the entire bad part of the experience behind her. Her boyfriend just goes balistic where we talk about it (the old I told you not to go and never want you to do it again type stuff--nicely, but not positive!)

I do appreciate all the suggestions and support I received when planning the trip from those of you here on the Blue Board.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Dave thats great. I enjoyed reading your posts on line and I hope you post the Article here on POA. I hope you also submitted it to AOPA. When will it be out

Funny, I was told it would be in the February issue of ABS; now, the said they ran out of room and moved it to March? Guess they can only put so much in there. Sounds pretty canned. I always thought they had some flexibility. But, what do I know.

Anyway, sounds like March issue now.

Dave

Dave, I sure hope you can post it somehow. Let's see, the condensed version is: single engine, long flight over water, at night, with family, hostile customs,... This could be a TV series:yes:

ABS's site shows my article regarding the flight to get my niece after hurricane Wilma hit will be in the upcoming March issue. Once it's out, I'll see if there is a link that can be posted to it or if I can somehow post it here.

They've jazzed it up just a little. It's now called 'A rescue mission to Merida, Mexico. They shortened the article quite a bit. Removed a diatribe about how obnoxious U.S. Customs was when I landed in the States.

Dave

ABS published the article I wrote on the Flight to Merida. It's in PDF format, but I hate to post it. Can we put it somewhere with a link? Or, I could send it out individually, but prefer a link so I'm not trying to respond to requests.

Dave

Dave, email it to me, and I'll put it up on a link.

I know you have it, but I'll PM you my email addy.

/s/ Spike

Very nice article. It conveys the emotion of the situation very well. Thanks to Spike for posting it and thanks to ABS for printing it. Dave, your family is fortunate to have such a skilled aviator in the family.

Thanks Richard; don't know what to say. :redface:

I'm just thankful I was in a position to get her!

Back